Howto make permanent USB mount points with "udev"

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
jafadmin

#41 Post by jafadmin »

3guesses wrote: So where do I find the correct documentation for udev?
"man udev?" :roll:

https://linux.die.net/man/8/udev

3guesses

#42 Post by 3guesses »

jafadmin wrote:
3guesses wrote: So where do I find the correct documentation for udev?
"man udev?" :roll:

https://linux.die.net/man/8/udev

Which is exactly what I did. Which took me to documentation that is completely inconsistent with the rules files generated by this wizard and processed by Puppy's udev. (I believe somebody previously wrote: "Consider that the documentation doesn't match udev".)

So I ask again, where do I find the correct documentation for [Puppy's] udev?

I would also still like to know how to set up automatic mounts on Puppy using UUID as the matching criteria - can that be done with udev or possibly fstab? Because this wizard (a) does not work correctly for my USB stick, and (b) mounts ALL the partitions on a device rather just the one(s) wanted.

jafadmin

#43 Post by jafadmin »

1) The ".rules" file is created by "udevadm", not "udev". The following command displays the udev info about your device:

Code: Select all

udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/<Your USB device>)
2) The rules file looked ok. Try manually executing the "mnt-CnM" script in /root/udev while the thumbdrive is plugged in and see if it mounts it. If it fails, check that there is a CmN-1 device listed in /dev when the thumbdrive is plugged in. (ls /dev/CmN*)
3) The event chain goes: PnP device gets plugged in-> udev looks for a rule that matches device->upon matching, udev creates the device descriptor in /dev, and executes any commands in the associated "rules" file.->The "rules" file calls the matching script in /root/udev that handles mounting the partitions.

So somewhere in that chain there is a disconnect. we need to find it.

Finally) Neither udev nor this wizard have anything to do with mounting partitions by UUID. Udev deals with PnP hardware, and the UUID of a partition is a software/transient property.