Rudy edition

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Jah

#41 Post by Jah »

I boot from cd/dvd.
It wont save to dvd either.
But cd is ok, just to smal for big rudy..

pupfile(78mb) saved to hde4 (reiserfs).

debernardis

#42 Post by debernardis »

I've never tested multisession - I'll try and let you know. Agree that Rudy is big... I run it from a usb stick and there it saves without worries.

Jah

#43 Post by Jah »

when booting
"it says searching for pupsave_001** hdc... hda..."
hdc & hda are my two dvd drives, hdś are hde hdh?!

Does Rudy onlu search the first two???

mayby this is the reason for Rudy not finding the pupsave file
on hde4...

How is it with dvd-rw, does it work?

How do you put Fudy on a usb stik?

Jah

#44 Post by Jah »

is it possible to install Icewm in Rudy?
it looks sooo good :-)
Like it in Pizzapuppy

debernardis

#45 Post by debernardis »

Jah:
1) yes you can install icewm;
2) I feel unable to help you on the problem of pup_save on several drives :cry: generally hard drives are hda and optical drives start from hdc but your setting seems to be the opposite. What happens to you with the original Puppy?
3) dvd-rw I have still to test
4) to put Rudy on a stick, as with other puppies including the original Puppy Linux, go to the Setup menu, search for Puppy universal installer, and follow instructions. Much likely, you will have to fiddle for some time to find the right combo of bios parameteres and stick formatting to have your machine boot from it.

PM me for further help if needed :P

Gn2

#46 Post by Gn2 »

Devices are found by BIOS as they have been connected to motherboard controllers
If an optical is cabled to first IDE - (jumpered as master or cable select) & plugged in to end pin-out of cable -
It is probed, identified as device hda
It does not matter what device is on which controller, or if primary or slave.

UNLESS the scripted probes are not properly defined.
E.G. the install or save "expects" hdc to be the only optical device.

Bios has no way to determine if device is an optical or hard drive
Bios probes in sequence as set by whatever options exist to boot from

Where the session save file is located, is determined by options chosen
This may be altered at any logoff -or scripts directly edited to choose defaults.

Jah

#47 Post by Jah »

I have to try the usbpen install later.

Tryed Pizza & multimedia puppys, they save to dvd-r(multisession) with no problem.

But in rudy it wont work. is this a known problem?

debernardis

#48 Post by debernardis »

Today made some tests and now can confirm that Rudy at present does not save on multisession disks.. I will try to determine the problem and if I succeed I'll post a corrected iso. Sorry for such inconvenience! :oops:

EDIT for some strange reasons, my notebook seems unable to boot a multisession dvd after the first time it is updated. Other computers I have at home do it, instead, BUT... they have only dvd-rom and the only dvd-burner is on the main notebook. So I am in a trouble to test rudy as multisession dvd.

Would somebody help me please? :?: :?: :?: :?: :P

debernardis

Multisession Rudy on DVD-RW

#49 Post by debernardis »

Strangely enough, in my hands Rudy is able to save and restore multisession on a bulk DVD-RW (yes RW not R), but fails on Sony DVD-R :!: :!: :!: As well, I was not able to get multisession work on Verbatim CD-R; maybe cheap bulk CD's will succeed :?: :?: :?: I'll buy a tower of the worst quality to test :)

I will go on testing multisession DVD-RW in the next days and report any news.

Meanwhile, I am preparing a new edition which drops the full mini-kde environment by MU, turning to the "bare" k3b plus selected libraries as created by Billcnz. This might make difficult to add other kde apps but renders the iso lighter and more "rational": kicker hidden under jwm was a horrible kludge, I must admit :wink:

pdrito

Re: Multisession Rudy on DVD-RW

#50 Post by pdrito »

debernardis wrote: Meanwhile, I am preparing a new edition which drops the full mini-kde environment by MU, turning to the "bare" k3b plus selected libraries as created by Billcnz. This might make difficult to add other kde apps but renders the iso lighter and more "rational": kicker hidden under jwm was a horrible kludge, I must admit :wink:
I am in a Big-Big-Big Expectation about your work debernardis !!
Hope you find the way soon.

pdrito.

Fishy

#51 Post by Fishy »

Love the pup!!! But, simple question for you. When I try to set the localization I get an error leading to a Xdialog utilization screen. :? Local would be English Canada.

I haven't found anything relating to this in a search of the forum so it must be just me, otherwise a flawless operation. Looking forward to the next version (tempted to not re-install Debian (why oh why does the installer not recognize other distro's, not just Windows)). :lol: Always seem to botch the install and have to do a re-install.

Again, thanks for the effort. :D

MU

#52 Post by MU »

please try this:
enter in a consolewindow

export LANG=C
chooselocale

Does it work now ?

Mark

Fishy

#53 Post by Fishy »

Thank you very much. Worked like a charm.

You know it is going to be difficult to select between Muppy and Rudy! Have used both and want both but that isn't very practical. :lol:

MU

#54 Post by MU »

Muppy and rudy share many ideas.
It would not be impossible, that they merge one day, though there was nothing planned until now, and I must reduce time for muppy in the next weeks.

Also parts go into the basesystem, e.g. rox 2.5 now is part of Puppy, while in first versions of Muppy I had to include it myself (based on a dotpup by GuestToo).

Of course everybody is invited, to take things from Muppy, and to integrate it in any other puplet.
I don't have or want exclusive rights on the parts Muppy is made of :)
Mark

MU

#55 Post by MU »

it should be possible to fix the problem with chooselocale like this permanently:
edit the file
/usr/sbin/chooselocale

replace the beginning:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
with

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
export LANG=C
I must apply this to Muppy, too.
Mark

debernardis

#56 Post by debernardis »

MU has created a lot of nice technical solutions that could be beneficial to Rudy, so definitely this merge should be done in the near future. Of course, time is needed... :wink: Hope work and child will allow me :P

Fishy

#57 Post by Fishy »

Would be totally awesome pup. I wonder with some of the posts in other subjects weather or not Puppy will be around or if Barry will walk away from the bickering. I think I will re-install Debian just to be safe.

Cheers and thanks for all the work. I for one appreciate it. :D

veronicathecow

#58 Post by veronicathecow »

Sent the following letter to the people at brichard@linux-mag.com

Any one else want to suggest Rudy to be included?

Hi, I read that you are doing a small distro CD and wanted to suggest the following to add to it

The "Rudy" edition of Puppy Linunx. It has all the features of Puppy (speed, hardware recognition etc) but has OO, Firefox and many other valuable tools already added.
Cheers
Tony (Computer technician, Swansea)

http://www.debernardis.it/rudypuppy070104.iso

veronicathecow

#59 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi, debernardis, yup still using Rudy, there are a few nice things in 2.14 and was wondering if you might be doing another Rudy. I know it a lot of hard work and would understand if you didn't want to but you should know that your version really is the best.
Cheers
Tony

debernardis

#60 Post by debernardis »

Hi Tony, I am using a 2.14-based Rudy indeed, and I'll upload it within Sunday I hope. I'm still not shure how to manage the xdg-menus thing, because I preferred the previous menu structure. At present, I have the full xdg tree embedded inside the previous tree, but maybe there are better solutions. All the rest works and after some more testing it will go online.
Thanks for your interest, and let me know how it goes after you get it!