11%
2.14x
29%
Other: 2.14x only
32%

Total votes: 38

taca0

#3981 Post by taca0 »

Can I change the Xorg version to a 7.4 or more higher version??

I thinks that Classic 2.14X need More option on multimedia players or a newer version of mplayer with full codecs support!

JonT

#3982 Post by JonT »

peebee, On p. 203 of this thread MinHundHettePerro said:
Do you have the required root=/dev/ram0 on your GRUB's kernel-line?
Also other places e.g. p. 56. Hope this helps.

wdm

#3983 Post by wdm »

Hi peebee

Running 214x from a subdirectory reguires different grub parameters than other versions of puppy. In addition to the pages suggested by jonT look at post by vg1 starting around page 5.

You can also try just moving the .sfs files out of the subdirectory to / level but if you have other installs in the same partition this could be a problem.

James C

#3984 Post by James C »

I was bored last night and got one of my old computers off the shelf....a dualboot with XP and Puppy 3.01.Anyway, did a full install of 2.14x top5 to replace 3.01 and everything is working fine.

-Computer-
Processor : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
Memory : 385MB (114MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.00
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 24 Nov 2010 01:33:30 PM PUP
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : (null)
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : CMI8738-SWIEC - C-Media PCI CMI8738-SWIEC

-Processor-
Name : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
Family, model, stepping : 5, 8, 12 (AMD K6-2)
Vendor : AuthenticAMD
-Configuration-
Cache Size : 64kb
Frequency : 501.15MHz
BogoMIPS : 1003.16
Byte Order : Little Endian
-Features-
FDIV Bug : no
HLT Bug : no
F00F Bug : no
Coma Bug : no
Has FPU : yes
-Cache-
Cache information not available
-Capabilities-
fpu : Floating Point Unit
vme : Virtual 86 Mode Extension
de : Debug Extensions - I/O breakpoints
pse : Page Size Extensions (4MB pages)
tsc : Time Stamp Counter and RDTSC instruction
msr : Model Specific Registers
mce : Machine Check Architeture
cx8 : CMPXCHG8 instruction
pge : Page Global Enable
mmx : MMX technology
syscall : SYSCALL and SYSEXIT instructions
3dnow : 3DNow! Technology
k6_mtrr : AMD K6 nonstandard MTRRs

gabe

#3985 Post by gabe »

Oh my gosh, this looks AMAZING! How does this compare to the latest Nov 20 238 5.2 build?

Goal: Reviving a desktop with 256MB RAM for my mom. It has a 2.6Ghz celeron (wow!) and an older ATI graphics card. She wants it easy to use with updated software.

- Can OpenOffice 3.2 or greater be installed?
- Will videos work full screen?
- Most importantly, is it easy to use?

This is the first time I'll be visiting her for ages, and she's been begging me to make her computer work for ages -- I don't have a huge amount of time to tweak once I'm there. That's why I want to make sure of everything in advance. :)

By the way, ttuuuxxxx, I agree with your "lean but updated" philosophy. And your GUI (look and feel) is MUCH better than the standard Puppy. :)

ttuuxxx

#3986 Post by ttuuxxx »

gabe wrote:Oh my gosh, this looks AMAZING! How does this compare to the latest Nov 20 238 5.2 build?

Goal: Reviving a desktop with 256MB RAM for my mom. It has a 2.6Ghz celeron (wow!) and an older ATI graphics card. She wants it easy to use with updated software.

- Will videos work full screen?
- Most importantly, is it easy to use?

This is the first time I'll be visiting her for ages, and she's been begging me to make her computer work for ages -- I don't have a huge amount of time to tweak once I'm there. That's why I want to make sure of everything in advance. :)

By the way, ttuuuxxxx, I agree with your "lean but updated" philosophy. And your GUI (look and feel) is MUCH better than the standard Puppy. :)
video fullscreen works, plus in the past when it didn't on other puppy versions 2.14X always worked well, It does come with 2 window managers, just in case :)
Its just as easy to use as any other puppy version, Actually I think its a bit easier than the latest, well the package manager is split into downloads and delete installed packages.
Plus the last openoffice pet I made for it was 2.0.3 http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html
number 10 on the list, I would be surprised If the latest doesn't work on.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

wdm

#3987 Post by wdm »

@ gabe
If you don't mind setting OpenOffice 3.2 up manually sinc posted a howto on page 241 of this thread. It worked great for me.

Cur Dog

#3988 Post by Cur Dog »

ttuuxxx,

I seen in another post that you are using 2.14 for the next Living Water. I thought that I would go ahead and setup your latest 2.14 and see how it worked with my setup. I am having problems with the wireless, (rt61, PCI) is the driver that is being loaded which is correct. I noticed that it is using a beta version in 2.14, and found other pups to be using what I assume to be later revisions. You may have already addressed this issue and if so I guess I overlooked it and please accept my apologies.

Cur Dog

Cur Dog

#3989 Post by Cur Dog »

hmmm.....duplicate. Sorry

Fishy

Unable to Load

#3990 Post by Fishy »

I tried loading 2.14X-Top5 and am stymied at:

error cannot find puppy on 'idecd' boot media
PUPMODE =1 PDEV=
exited to initial ram disk

/bin/sh:cannot access TTY; job control turned off

I have checked md5sum and booted with pfix-ram.

ps. it was loaded on a dvd if that helps.

Aitch

#3991 Post by Aitch »

ttuuxxx

#3992 Post by ttuuxxx »

Thanks Aitch, I'll have a look :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Bert

Re: Unable to Load

#3993 Post by Bert »

Fishy wrote:I tried loading 2.14X-Top5 and am stymied at:

error cannot find puppy on 'idecd' boot media
PUPMODE =1 PDEV=
exited to initial ram disk

/bin/sh:cannot access TTY; job control turned off

I have checked md5sum and booted with pfix-ram.

ps. it was loaded on a dvd if that helps.
I am having the exact same problem as Fishy with 2.14X-Top5. Tried several cd-rw and DVD's, Downloaded again, burned on cd, then dvd, same message as the one Fishy posted.
(but I must confess I didn't check md5 this time..)
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

cprivers

Keyboard issue

#3994 Post by cprivers »

I am running Top5 from the CD, and whenever I press the "d" key, all windows minimize, no matter which application I am running.
[i]It's always easy when you know how![/i]

clarf

Re: Keyboard issue

#3995 Post by clarf »

cprivers wrote:I am running Top5 from the CD, and whenever I press the "d" key, all windows minimize, no matter which application I am running.
Hi cprives, this is a problem already reported and identified for Top5 in "Xvesa" mode.

As far as I know there are no problems with Xorg, because Xorg recognize and enables the use of Win key.

In Xvesa mode the Win keys is not functional, then X just don´t recognize this key and it´s permanently activated. I find this X behavior when I intentionally disabled the Win key support in Xorg editing the "/root/.Xmodmap" file with the code remove mod4 = Super_L.

At that point Xorg had the same problem that Xvesa, win key is permanently enabled and pressing any key configured for metacity binging launched the binding actions (like the Win+d key used in metacity configuration to "show Desktop").

To fix this problem in Top5 we must find a way to enable the use of Win key in Xvesa and make it fully functional like in Xorg mode.

Although a quick fix is use other key for keybinding that Xvesa can handle without additional changes (or just disable metacity binding keys). I would like to fix the real problem first, Xvesa in the current 214X configuration doesn´t support Win key...

clarf

cprivers

#3996 Post by cprivers »

Clarf,

Thanks for the reply. When I shut down I noticed the option to switch to JWM, so I did. After I restarted, the problem went away, so I guess it is related to the default (ICE?) window manager.

Chuck

gabe

#3997 Post by gabe »

Hey ttuuxxx.

*sigh*
I think I've had enough of luci-242 (pre-Puppy 5.2) right now. My mom really needs her computer working, and there are simply way too many problems with 5.x right now, including random crashes. I think it might be my RAM.

Could you help me out? I have 256MB RAM (htop reports 240MB usable) on a popular Dell Inspiron 2400. So I know you have the [awesome] philosophy of "lean, mean, quick, and bug-free" and that's really what I need right now. I've lost so much sleep trying to get 5.x working (and I'll still help with debugging when I can), but I'm in the need of something that just works on that machine.

So I came here. Is this the Puppy for me? What's the difference between Top5 and RC5? I just need an up-to-date Puppy that will work on this 256MB Inspiron.

Sorry to bother you like this, but it seems you're the only person in the world (that I know of) who cares about these older machines. I really want to avoid Windows, too, and I know the Inspiron 2400 is one of the most popular computers in the world (!!), so I thought Linux would be just fine on it.

If you have time, could you also point me to a working OpenOffice 3.2.0 or 3.2.1 for your version of Puppy? My mom does a lot of office work and there are lots of things the current lite office doesn't support. Thanks again!!

cprivers

#3998 Post by cprivers »

Gabe,

How about 431? That's what I mostly use. If you absolutely have to have OpenOffice, that could probably be done too, but there is a word processor & spreadsheet in 431 that is usefull for most things.

My copy is running Firefox 3.6.12 for the browser.

I recently installed 511 on a laptop that had a trashed hard disk. I set it up to use the CD & thumb drive, and I didn't have any problems with it.

If you think you have ram problems, download a copy of Memtest86. I'm sure you can find it on the web. I use it on all computers that I recondition.

I would be willing to set up a pupsave file for you for either 431 or 511 if you want some help. You could download the pupsave & then just copy to your hard disk to check it out.

Chuck

gabe

#3999 Post by gabe »

cprivers wrote:Gabe,

How about 431? That's what I mostly use. If you absolutely have to have OpenOffice, that could probably be done too, but there is a word processor & spreadsheet in 431 that is usefull for most things.

My copy is running Firefox 3.6.12 for the browser.

I recently installed 511 on a laptop that had a trashed hard disk. I set it up to use the CD & thumb drive, and I didn't have any problems with it.

If you think you have ram problems, download a copy of Memtest86. I'm sure you can find it on the web. I use it on all computers that I recondition.

I would be willing to set up a pupsave file for you for either 431 or 511 if you want some help. You could download the pupsave & then just copy to your hard disk to check it out.

Chuck
Thanks so much!! Yes, I think it's a RAM issue, but I don't think it's corruption -- I think Puppy 5.x is simply running out (and not using the swap partition). It also hurts that 5.x is 135MB (while older puppies were under 100).

That said, if you have a pup-save or version that works with 256MB RAM (Inspiron 2400), it would be much appreciated. :)

cprivers

#4000 Post by cprivers »

Gabe,

If ram is an issue then 431 might be better, although the install I did a few days ago with 511 was on a laptop with only 256mb of ram (like yours), so I don't think ram size is your issue. Best to check that first, then let me know which version you would like to try, and what you think I should try to install in it. I am fairly new with the Puppy stuff but have been working on computers for 28 years, so this is a learning thing for me too. I hope I can help get you up and running.

(I also have the 2.14X series and can try to play with that as well.)

Chuck