No probs, ttuuxxx

But people who don't use 214X also read this and might like the feature

Aitch :)

ttuuxxx

#3922 Post by ttuuxxx »

Aitch wrote:No probs, ttuuxxx

But people who don't use 214X also read this and might like the feature

Yes that's true, I personally hate having tabs on top and won't enable it by default, That's the only reason why I don't use google chrome, but I have in the past hacked Opera's top tabs and lowered them :) But Firefox still wins with the extra addons and quick security updates :) That's the reason why its default on 2.14X :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Roy

#3923 Post by Roy »

RE: 214x-top5

Still cannot use desktop keyboard with MetacityWM... way tooooo many keybindings that prevent typing a simple text document. (Keys continually pop a different function window open instead of entering into my document.) Keyboard works fine under ALL other (Puppy and non-Puppy) OS'.

A lot of icons missing in Control Center while using JWM. May I suggest using JWM as the default WM and having Metacity as the option?

Still loving 214X-RC5

-Roy

James C

#3924 Post by James C »

Fresh full install of 2.14x-top5 on the old P3 test box. Other than having to use 1024x768x16 instead of the preferred 1024x768x24.......no problems.

ttuuxxx

#3925 Post by ttuuxxx »

Roy wrote:RE: 214x-top5

Still cannot use desktop keyboard with MetacityWM... way tooooo many keybindings that prevent typing a simple text document. (Keys continually pop a different function window open instead of entering into my document.) Keyboard works fine under ALL other (Puppy and non-Puppy) OS'.

A lot of icons missing in Control Center while using JWM. May I suggest using JWM as the default WM and having Metacity as the option?

Still loving 214X-RC5

-Roy
Hmmm roy last time you only mentioned one key, and I removed that one, Ok next release I'll remove all keybindings and only add 2 of them, Printscreen and the windows key, Hopefully that will work for you and that way Metacity can stay default, I do like it better than jwm, but I do aim to please the general contributors.
2.14X doesn't seem to have the verbal following as it did 12-6 months back. Shame because I'm not walking away from it any time soon :)
ttuuxxx

sullysat

#3926 Post by sullysat »

ttuuxxx,

That's good news! Rest assured that we're still here and happily so.

Keep up the good work. This pup is awesome.

Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

Aitch

#3927 Post by Aitch »

ttuuxxx wrote:2.14X doesn't seem to have the verbal following as it did 12-6 months back
LOL, you've worn everyone out trying to keep up! :lol: :lol:

jockjunior

#3928 Post by jockjunior »

Funny one this. only one save file but 2,14xtop4 finds it twice and so stops loading till I pick one.

jock

How do update to top5 I'm in the process of downloading the iso?
Frugal install on hd

sinc

#3929 Post by sinc »

ttuuxxx wrote:2.14X doesn't seem to have the verbal following as it did 12-6 months back.ttuuxxx
Ttuuxxx, you've been busy for a few months. As you start updating things again, people will follow. Like field of dreams, "if you build it, they will come"

there's a lot of us still here. :)

ps. I have the key binding issues also and have to switch to jwm.

MinHundHettePerro

#3930 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

ttuuxxx wrote:2.14X doesn't seem to have the verbal following as it did 12-6 months back. Shame because I'm not walking away from it any time soon :)
ttuuxxx
ttuuxxx,
214X is still my main distro :).
And I'm still following this thread with interest, although not so verbally at the moment.

Keep up the good work :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

clarf

#3931 Post by clarf »

Roy wrote:RE: 214x-top5

Still loving 214X-RC5

-Roy
Hi Roy,

I also had that problem once with metacity, I had to kill metacity and after restart xwin (startx), the problem get away. Seems a bug with metacity, but I couldn´t find the event that trigger that bug. It just started to use keybindings without actually pressing Windows key...

Which metacity version is using top5?

clarf

Roy

#3932 Post by Roy »

Metacity can stay default, I do like it better than jwm
I like Metacity, too. It seems more... vibrant. Sorry about not noticing the remainder of the keybindings last time around! (I was only testing the Skype dot-pet at the time and 'r' -- as in roy -- kept stopping me cold.) That's my fault.

Rest assured, I have a 100-pack of blank CD-R's sitting on my desk to distribute as 214X-final(s) when the time comes....
I had to kill metacity and after restart xwin (startx), the problem get away
clarf, I tried the old Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart things under Metacity and could never get a prompt to restart X. The screen said that a script to restart X had been started... and that's where everything just hung. I did not do anything to kill Metacity beforehand, though. Maybe I should have attempted to restart X through the shutdown Menu instead.

Will pressing the Windows key stop (turn off) the keybindings? If so, add a blurb that points that out to users in the initial pop-up window!

-Roy

clarf

#3933 Post by clarf »

Roy wrote:
I had to kill metacity and after restart xwin (startx), the problem get away
clarf, I tried the old Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart things under Metacity and could never get a prompt to restart X. The screen said that a script to restart X had been started... and that's where everything just hung. I did not do anything to kill Metacity beforehand, though. Maybe I should have attempted to restart X through the shutdown Menu instead.
Hi Roy,
I ran the kill command from terminal, then startx from prompt. But you should use the shutdown menu.
Roy wrote: Will pressing the Windows key stop (turn off) the keybindings? If so, add a blurb that points that out to users in the initial pop-up window!

-Roy
No, keybindings must be activated if the Windows key is simulatenaoulsy pressed with the desired key, for example "r+Winkey". But the metacity bug (if this is metacity blame) causes to activate the keybindings permanently without actually pressing the Windows key.

I like the Logout Menu that ttuuxxx created, I also like the new Startup-metacity folder to easily add scripts for each WM. But the two .xinitric scipts seems to confuse users, I usually do a startx JWM for example...

I could make a new .xinitric that mix the code if someone would like to use that...

Greetings,
clarf

sinc

#3934 Post by sinc »

using top 5 and can't type anything with metacity b/c of the key bindings. when i switch to jwm i have no problems. another thing to keep in mind is that i use xvesa b/c xorg in this version crashes on me. not sure if that may have something to do with the keybindings messing up.

Roy

#3935 Post by Roy »

sinc,

I also avoid Xorg because of a Nvidia graphics card. When I get to the choice between Xorg and (X?)vesa on the initial (LiveCD) video choice, I choose whichever option is NOT Xorg and then go with the old 15-inch CRT 1024x768 24-bit option to match my actual display.

-Roy

James C

#3936 Post by James C »

ttuuxxx wrote: 2.14X doesn't seem to have the verbal following as it did 12-6 months back. Shame because I'm not walking away from it any time soon :)
ttuuxxx
I'm still here for the long haul...... :lol:

Roy

#3937 Post by Roy »

That was a good observation, sinc -- I do not have ANY keyboard binding problems with Xorg.... did lose my mouse pointer for awhile, though. A flush of my RAM and a cold start brought the pointer back.

But the reduced display size and constant back-and-forth horizontal jiggle (of Xorg, minus the Nvidia driver) gives me a headache. And I cannot guarantee what kind of hardware the eventual recipients of these 100 214X-final discs are going to have.....

So it does look to me like the keyboard binding(s) problem is only present with the Xvesa display mode. Can this be fixed with the Xvesa video mode?

-Roy

EDIT: clarf, when exiting X to a prompt (which doesn't ALWAYS work for me), there is an example message about typing 'xwin (flvwm/jwm)' or something to that affect. Can that example be changed to reflect the two choices of metacity/jwm? Sorry if this is a stupid question, as I freely admit that I am almost useless with the 'under the hood' stuff.

I still think that writing something prominent in the pop-up Dillo screen about starting and stopping the keybinding function would be a good idea -- IF the function can be started and stopped on demand. Maybe list the specific keys and their associated funtions, too. That would help to eliminate inadvertent 'surprises' and give unfamiliar users a chance to learn something new at the same time.

ttuuxxx

#3938 Post by ttuuxxx »

clarf wrote:[

I like the Logout Menu that ttuuxxx created, I also like the new Startup-metacity folder to easily add scripts for each WM. But the two .xinitric scipts seems to confuse users, I usually do a startx JWM for example...

I could make a new .xinitric that mix the code if someone would like to use that...

Greetings,
clarf
Hi clarf the next release you'll be able to type startx jwm or xwin jwm or startx metacity or xwin metacity.
I'll just rename jwm to jwm1 and system-link /usr/local/wmsitcher/jwm/switch to /bin/ and rename it jwm and the same with /usr/local/wmsitcher/metacity/switch to bin and rename it metacity :)
nice is simple and keeps the 2 .xinitric scipts, which I like, its more versatile, plus the /usr/local/wmsitcher/metacity/.xinitrc activates the metacity delayrun which enables the /root/Startup-Metacity-apps startup folder.
ttuuxxx

mmmrr

#3939 Post by mmmrr »

i think there are many more users of 214x than there are
forum voices; i think many more people read these pages
than post to them...214x is a major contribution, it runs well
on my 160mb pentium2 266cpu, has remained stable over
months while others didn't...the only reason i don't use it
more is that 214x won't recognise a pcmcia card which lets
this old laptop run 4 usb2 ports--big upgrade from 1 usb1.1--

i found a pup412retro which runs the usb2 card but the 214x
entry on my grub menu list is there to stay, thanks, cheers, mm

Stripe

#3940 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

For anyone who is interested this is how I now have top5 running totaly from a usb stick

1. format usb to ext2 (setting flag as bootable)
2. install grub bootloader from grub bootloader config
3. copy initrd.gz, pup_214X.sfs, vmlinux and zdrv_214X.sfs from the iso to the usb stick
4. place the following items into the grub menu.lst, the second menu entry allows you to run in ram only (pfix=ram) if you are on a machine that you do not have a save file for already, or you want to create a second save file (on the Hd of the p.c. or your usb stick)

title top 5 (load save file)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=usbflash
initrd /initrd.gz

title top 5 (run in ram, dont load save file)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=usbflash pfix=ram
initrd /initrd.gz

This works on all 4 machines that I have tried it on, from a 800mhz 256ram box up to a dual core box.
Hope this helps
Stripe

I have found 1 small problem with top5, any changes I make to firefox (change font size or add bookmarks) are not saved to the save file and it reverts to its origional settings on next boot up, any ideas or am I missing somthing simple?