LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#391 Post by peebee »

luiscuadrado123 wrote:Hello!!

i am using LxPupp 14.02 (Precise + LXDE) since 1 mounth and is really nice!

But i have a problem... I use a Samsung Notebook and the volume controls don't work

even FN+(arrows) and +/- and MUTE button.... do nothing.

how can i fix it?
Hi luiscuadrado123

Thank you for your feedback - and that you have a problem....

I think you would get better help if you posted the problem in:
Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Audio

However, you will need to give more information about the configuration of your "Samsung Notebook" and much greater detail of what you mean by "the volume controls don't work" - do you mean you have no sound? or that you can't control the volume with the volume control in the systray? or that your Notebook has keys which you expect to control the volume and these don't work?

It would also be useful to know if you able to do this, whether you have the same problem with Precise5.7.1.....?

Sorry I can't help any more.
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Volhout

Lx on blue or quirky tahr

#392 Post by Volhout »

Hi Peebee,

Any chance of having an LxPup version based on F2FS ?
Tried Blue pup, that basically is a full install on an F2FS usb stick, and must say that it boots quick, shuts down quick, and does not really execute noticably slower than a frugal install. Benefit is you dont need a save file.
Can also be drawback...

Maybe LxBlue?

peebee

Re: Lx on blue or quirky tahr

#393 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Hi Peebee,

Any chance of having an LxPup version based on F2FS ?
Tried Blue pup, that basically is a full install on an F2FS usb stick, and must say that it boots quick, shuts down quick, and does not really execute noticably slower than a frugal install. Benefit is you dont need a save file.
Can also be drawback...

Maybe LxBlue?
Hi Volhout

I made a Quirky-Tahr version of LxPup-by-SFS back in April:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... irky-Tahr/

This might work as an add-on to Blue ??

If I get a chance I'll try it - unless you beat me to it!

If it works I can update it to 14.09 state....

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

luiscuadrado123

#394 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

peebee wrote:

i am using LxPupp 14.02 (Precise + LXDE) since 1 mounth and is really nice!

But i have a problem... I use a Samsung Notebook and the volume controls don't work

even FN+(arrows) and +/- and MUTE button.... do nothing.

how can i fix it?
Hi luiscuadrado123

Thank you for your feedback - and that you have a problem....

I think you would get better help if you posted the problem in:
Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Audio

However, you will need to give more information about the configuration of your "Samsung Notebook" and much greater detail of what you mean by "the volume controls don't work" - do you mean you have no sound? or that you can't control the volume with the volume control in the systray? or that your Notebook has keys which you expect to control the volume and these don't work?

It would also be useful to know if you able to do this, whether you have the same problem with Precise5.7.1.....?

Sorry I can't help any more.
Cheers
peebee
hello peebee

i create a new post here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96044

i hope that you or anybody could help me

thanks

peebee

LxPupTahr 14.10

#395 Post by peebee »

LxPupTahr14.10.00-pae is available to download from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/LxPup14.10/

Click on the little "i" to see the md5.

Based on TahrPup5.8.4 with the pae kernel 3.14.20 produced by 666philb

Use the TahrPup5.8.4 devx if needed.

As well as all the LXDE components, LxPupTahr includes openssl 1.0.1i, and the Broadcom wl wifi driver.

If you have Nvidia graphics you may run into difficulties with the nouveau driver - switch to the modesetting driver using xorgwizard.
Attachments
lxpuptahr.png
(177 KiB) Downloaded 1928 times

Marv

Re: LxPupTahr 14.10

#396 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:LxPupTahr14.10.00-pae is available to download from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/LxPup14.10/
Downloaded, Frugal install to Pentium M laptop, ipw2200 wireless, i915 video. forcepae kernel option works in the stock PAE kernel :D :D :D Sound, video, wireless connection using frisbee in RAM boot all perfect. Posting from that install now. Frisbee/dhcpcd does do the ipw2200 dropout dance as expected so I'll update my save file which uses PWF with a static IP next. So far so good.

Nice (for the Pentium M crew) to be able to use the stock kernel here.

Edit: updated 14.09 savefile to 14.10. Missing a chromium icon I added in somewhere. Other than that perfectly smooth. Screenies of RAM boot and custom (with Opera minimized) attached for CPU use and Annie :)

Attachments
stock_1410.jpg
(64.86 KiB) Downloaded 1873 times
custom_1410.jpg
(167.49 KiB) Downloaded 1856 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#397 Post by peebee »

Thanks for the feedback @Marv....

The non-pae version is now available from the same link above.

Marv

#398 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:The non-pae version is now available from the same link above.
Downloaded, frugally installed using same save file I used in the 14.10 PAE version on the Pentium M laptop above. Everything A-OK. Noted both versions use the same version kernel, 3.14.20 :) (Wasn't the case in many previous pups PAE/nonPAE versions).
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

Service Packs

#399 Post by peebee »

Service Pack 1 (x-delta) for LxPupTahr14.10.....

New iso's for LxPupTahr14.10......

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... xPup14.10/

New iso for LxPupPrecise-Retro14.10:

Service Pack (x-delta) to convert LxPupPrecise-Retro14.02 to LxPupPrecise-Retro14.10:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... xPup14.02/

PcManFM updated to version 1.2.3

openssl updated to 1.0.1j

bash updated in LxPupPrecise-Retro14.10

peebee

More updates - LxPup14.10

#400 Post by peebee »

New iso's for LxPup14.10 (Slacko6Beta flavour)......

The kernel in the pae version is 3.14.20 from TahrPuppy6.0 (same as in LxPupTahr).

New version .02 iso for LxPupPrecise-Retro14.10:

Based on PrecisePup5.7.2 = 5.7.1+delta from mavrothal implementing savefile changes by gyro

Some deltas also available to upgrade previous versons.

For all versions:
  • PcManFM updated to version 1.2.3
    openssl updated to 1.0.1j
    bash updated
    Broadcom wl driver included
Last edited by peebee on Sat 08 Nov 2014, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

Re: Service Packs

#401 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:Service Pack 1 (x-delta) for LxPupTahr14.10.....
New iso's for LxPupTahr14.10......
Downloaded 18 Oct, installed frugally on the usual Pentium M laptop (now running the non-pae version) updating 14.10 savefile. Nothing to report. Just working here.

That's a passel of versions updated :!:
Thanks

luiscuadrado123

#402 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

Hello!!

i am using LxTahr14.10 iso!!

I have the same problem that in precise: the keys for volumen up/down do nothing :(

I am having a second problem..
when i load-on-the-fly sfs files... the menu of lxde no update and the new app no appear in the menu :(

i need to restar wm or install something from PPM or a .pet and then the menu update.

peebee

#403 Post by peebee »

i am using LxTahr14.10 iso!!

I have the same problem that in precise: the keys for volumen up/down do nothing :(

I am having a second problem..
when i load-on-the-fly sfs files... the menu of lxde no update and the new app no appear in the menu :(

i need to restar wm or install something from PPM or a .pet and then the menu update.
Hi

I replied to you on volume controls on 14 Oct at:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 593#803593

Loading sfs files is not intended to happen frequently .... a manual Restart WM is the best, safest and easiest thing to do.

I will think about providing lxpanel_menu_refresh so that /usr/sbin/fixmenus works with lxpanelx for future versions.

peebee

#404 Post by peebee »

luiscuadrado123 wrote: when i load-on-the-fly sfs files... the menu of lxde no update and the new app no appear in the menu
Please test the attached fix pet and report if it cures your problem.

Thanks
Attachments
lxpanel_menu_refresh_fix.pet
(1007 Bytes) Downloaded 277 times

peebee

#405 Post by peebee »

The versions of LxPupTahr based on TahrPup6.0-CE are available from: lx-pup.weebly.com

TahrFixes up to 30-oct-2014 are included. Later updates are available via QuickPet in the Setup menu.

Marv

#406 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:The versions of LxPupTahr based on TahrPup6.0-CE are available from: lx-pup.weebly.com

TahrFixes up to 30-oct-2014 are included. Later updates are available via QuickPet in the Setup menu.
Frugal install of non-PAE version to the Pentium M ipw2200 all intel Fujitsu S6230. First pristine, connecting to WPA2 wireless using Frisbee. Sound, video, wireless connection all ok, though with the usual ipw2200 dropouts. Then booted using my 14.10.01 savefile. Everything preserved exactly and static IP connection using PWF 3.2 flawless. One little hitch in that in /root/.pupradio, my previous tel-stations and tel-urls files had dashes so pupradio wouldn't run. Changed them to tel_stations and tel_urls and all is well. In the pristine install, they are created with _ and all is well. Probably part of the bash change. All in all boringly smooth.

Menus and panel updating nicely with your lxpanel_menu_refresh_fix.pet. Haven't checked to see if it is included in 14.10.1, just left it in.

The builtin palemoon :D plays well with my symlink to an external data file. Running Opera 12.16 (portable) and chromium 36 with pepperflash (SFS) also with external profiles.

Next week I'm going to update 2 of my most venerable desktop systems (PIII and Athlon XP) to celeron j1900 motherboards (Bay Trail-D processor). Initially they'll each get LxPupTahr, X-Slacko, and Carolite 1.2 with the 3.17 kernel. Listen carefully for the sound of tearing hair or joyful hoots :)

egySTARx

i need to know how to

#407 Post by egySTARx »

Hi, thank you for all your efforts and i need answers to these questions please:

1- how to update lxtahrpup ?
2- how to change between JWM and LXDE ?
3-how to shutdown in certain time like "after 5 minutes" ?

thanks again :)

peebee

Re: i need to know how to

#408 Post by peebee »

egySTARx wrote:Hi, thank you for all your efforts and i need answers to these questions please:

1- how to update lxtahrpup ?
2- how to change between JWM and LXDE ?

Hi

1. - what kind of install do you have? Do you mean how to update once you have installed? See the menu item Setup -> TahrPup Fixes

2. - LxPup is really meant to be run in LXDE mode - why do you want to revert to JWM? Rox filer is available in the menu under Filesystem

3. - no Puppies have this as a standard feature (I think). Again, why do you want to do this? You could make a small script which sleeps for 5 minutes and then calls lx-wmpoweroff

egySTARx

#409 Post by egySTARx »

peebee wrote:
Hi

1. - what kind of install do you have? Do you mean how to update once you have installed? See the menu item Setup -> TahrPup Fixes

2. - LxPup is really meant to be run in LXDE mode - why do you want to revert to JWM? Rox filer is available in the menu under Filesystem

3. - no Puppies have this as a standard feature (I think). Again, why do you want to do this? You could make a small script which sleeps for 5 minutes and then calls lx-wmpoweroff
thanks for your reply and all your hard work as I used lxpup for long time and it is working well

1 -my install is frugal and i asked if the system can be updated or something like other standard distro ? :?

and foe my second request, i like lxde so much i just asked to write about it in my blog which is in arabic as puppies are not known well for arabs . :lol:

"lx-wmpoweroff" that what i searched for as i used "sleep 5 && wmpoweroff" and didn't work > :D
so thenk you very much and go on :wink:

666philb

#410 Post by 666philb »

egySTARx wrote:Hi, thank you for all your efforts and i need answers to these questions please

menu >>>system>>>puppy event manager 'power' tab
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331