Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
fredx181

#3521 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Quote:
Edit: To be more clear, changing /etc/inittab for autologin (as we have now) is not standard Debian also.

There is a good reason for it - we can't autologin other way without using login display manager and especially with xdm without changing inittab.
What good reason or advantage do we offer for live-boot by suggesting alternative systemd boot since the official debian method is working fine and is well documented in Debian sites and forums?
I have the feeling there's little misunderstanding: I thought you just didn't like the option for creating systemd autologin but it looks like you mean you do not like promoting systemd itself (on the other hand you made section in DD documentation about it. :?: ). As you see I'm confused.

I agree that it's difficult to find answers for problems about systemd as it's not much used yet.
So, I wouldn't mind if it takes long time being the standard in Debian but I guess it will be someday and I personally like to be a bit prepared already.

Fred

anikin

#3522 Post by anikin »

I have some more points and will do another post later on.

saintless

#3523 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:... it looks like you mean you do not like promoting systemd itself (on the other hand you made section in DD documentation about it. :?: ). As you see I'm confused.
We have misunderstanding, Fred.
I have nothing against systemd and It is great debian has such easy way to swithch to systemd.
I hope this will clarify the problem as I see it better:

Workaround for porteus-boot to use systemd - great. It did not have systemd boot option and this is the only way to make systemd work with porteus-boot. This is improvement.

Your same workaround for systemd porteus-boot to be used with live-boot - why and what is the point?
Debian has systemd boot parameter that works fine. Google is full with information for systemd boot in debian. Any problem that can appear with systemd for DebianDog already has solution somewhere in debian forums.
What is the point to suggets the same workaraound made for porteus-boot to be used with live-boot-2 and 3? If it is only because it also will work - fine. I will add it anywhere you like.
But when someone has a problem and write about booting DebianDog live-boot-2x or 3x with systemd parameter instead init=/bin/systemd you will be the only one who can answer his questions. I can't point him to google for debian problems with systemd in such case
Unless I missunderstood completely what is your suggestion for live boot and it has nothing to do with changing boot parameters for live-boot init.

Edit - sorry, Fred, rereading your posts seems you mean only the command for autologin, not changing boot parameter for live boot. My mistake.

Toni

fredx181

#3524 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni :)
Edit - sorry, Fred, rereading your posts seems you mean only the command for autologin, not changing boot parameter for live boot. My mistake.
Thanks, Yes, that's right, I meant that only and the note about possible uninstall problem, glad that's cleared up.

Fred

fredx181

#3525 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Sorry for changing something again, it's initrd1.xz-systemd, I wish I thought about it before:
Just make parameter for systemd porteus-boot exactly the same as with live-boot: "init=/bin/systemd"

That's much better, don't you think?
So this way there's no difference for systemd porteus-boot or live-boot.
When installing the systemd-sysv package the parameter "init=/bin/systemd" is not needed anymore (also same with live-boot)

See edited post with new revision link here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 987#798987

Fred

saintless

#3526 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Fred!
Yes, it is better to have the same systemd boot parameter. I will replace the new one in a minute.

Toni

fredx181

#3527 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
As I'd like to make apt2sfs-new working with live-boot v3, I've been trying out different boot options.
I experienced something strange, maybe you can explain.
First ran your script "cow-save-part" (I have partition labeled 'persistence'), all fine (correct symlink /live/cow)
Rebooted, still fine, all saved.
Then I tried adding "toram=01-filesystem.squashfs" and everything was wrong:
The 'persistence' partition was not used, so didn't see my changes.
/lib/live/mount/medium contains 01-filesystem.squashfs module
/lib/live/mount/persistence contains 'loop1' which is (as I found later through blkid) 'live-rw' savefile from my sda3 partition.
My kernel command line:

Code: Select all

root@dog:~# cat /proc/cmdline
boot=live config persistence live-media-path=/livenew/live  vga=791 toram=01-filesystem.squashfs
Booted with the right initrd: initrd /livenew/live/initrd.img
blkid -o list and mount output:

Code: Select all

root@dog:~# blkid -o list
device     fs_type label    mount point    UUID
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/dev/sda1  ntfs             (not mounted)  A260A8A860A8851F
/dev/loop0 squashfs         /lib/live/mount/rootfs/01-filesystem.squashfs 
/dev/sda2  ext4             (not mounted)  960e5eb6-6aed-4134-95f7-afd1d43ee9bc
/dev/sda3  ext4    hd-data  /lib/live/mount/persistence/sda3 da4763af-3d30-45ee-b7d9-77119e9c4251
/dev/sda5  ext4    persistence (not mounted) 3a76b94a-0e71-4b5f-8505-3564a6cf70f6
/dev/sda6  swap             (not mounted)  a4ada463-3646-4a74-b508-27ba6126eb52
/dev/loop1 ext4    live-rw  /lib/live/mount/persistence/loop1 65898902-d0ee-4834-b2bc-7b9192c27800
/dev/sdb1  vfat    live     (not mounted)  1898-1A49
/dev/sdb2  ext4             (not mounted)  2e6237ad-1916-41d8-b939-5f3c1c605e27
/dev/sdc1  ntfs    XData    (not mounted)  5B929CFA24C71525
root@dog:~# mount
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=192145,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=154552k,mode=755)
/dev/shm on /lib/live/mount/medium type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=128436k)
/dev/loop0 on /lib/live/mount/rootfs/01-filesystem.squashfs type squashfs (ro,noatime)
tmpfs on /lib/live/mount/overlay type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda3 on /lib/live/mount/persistence/sda3 type ext4 (rw,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/loop1 on /lib/live/mount/persistence/loop1 type ext4 (rw,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
aufs on / type aufs (rw,relatime,si=51402424,noxino)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=309100k)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime)
root@dog:~# 
Fred

saintless

#3528 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

toram option is something very difficult for me to test.
I suggest to make the tests first with official untoched initrd.img and compare the behaviour with the patched one.
We will add information about the remastercow problem while using toram option in live-boot-3x.
I also suggest if you can to test only toram (not toram=01-filesystem.squashfs).
I will try to make the test on a friend's computer soon.

Toni

fredx181

#3529 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Don't go into the trouble testing this, I think it's something missing in openbox version (could be live-config, don't know yet), just quickly tested same setup with jwm version and no problems.
I'll report back later about it.

Fred

fredx181

#3530 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
I suggest to make the tests first with official untoched initrd.img and compare the behaviour with the patched one.
Thanks for suggesting so I could test the difference.
The problem was not because of difference between openbox or jwm version.
Using the 'patched version' makes it right.
The one I used first (with openbox version) was the 'untouched initrd.img' and this one gave me the problems.
When testing it with Jwm version it was alright because I used the "patched version" (without realizing at that moment)
The 'untouched initrd.img", is almost 2Mb smaller, right?
I tested now on jwm version with the 'untouched initrd.img' and got the same strange behavior as I reported before.

We included the patched version in the iso, so there's no problem I think, it seems to be more reliable.

Edit: As you suggested I tried 'toram' only, but it tried to copy my 20Gb sda3 partition to RAM and of course failed.

Fred

saintless

#3531 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Fred!
Yes, the untouched initrd.img is 2Mg smaller. It is nice the patched one behaves better and it is already included in the iso.
fredx181 wrote:Edit: As you suggested I tried 'toram' only, but it tried to copy my 20Gb sda3 partition to RAM and of course failed.
So toram only option will work for boot from USB or CD or if the partition has only /live folder. Unfortunately I think toram option is the only way to copy more than one module in ram with live-boot-3x. I will add this in the documentation later.

Toni

fredx181

#3532 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:Unfortunately I think toram option is the only way to copy more than one module in ram with live-boot-3x
Isn't that the same with live-boot-2x?

Fred

saintless

#3533 Post by saintless »

Yes, I think it is the same with live-boot-2x, Fred.
Maybe there is workaround for this but can't find one yet.

Toni

anikin

#3534 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni, Fred and everyone,

Sorry for being obtrusive, here's another mount manager, lifted from Porteus Mate. Maybe, this one will be easier to adapt/simplify?
Attachments
mount-manager.gz
remove fake gz
(12.64 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
mount_manager.png
(34.94 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

sunburnt

#3535 Post by sunburnt »

Guys, years ago I made a GtkDialog mount manager for Puppy.
I didn`t catch what the need is so I`m not quite sure it`s purpose.
The Porteus one Fred shows is nice and a "std" layout, but no boot flag.

saintless

#3536 Post by saintless »

Hi, All.

I think we will have normal gzip compressed RTAI-linuxcnc-DebianDog working well on very old machines (P-II, p-III and 128Mb Ram) :)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 316#799316
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 072#799072
This is what I was playing with the last few days. Maybe it will be useful for others.
Maybe I will try to make deb packages for rtai-kernel and rtai-modules with option to install linuxcnc easy on DebianDog both versions.

Anikin, I will check out porteus mount script tomorrow.

Toni

anikin

#3537 Post by anikin »

sunburnt,

I saw a nice mounting wizard here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 306#798306
it perfectly fits my minimalist needs - no drive icons on the desktop, or elsewhere. I want my drives to be visible only when needed. A menu entry, or desktop icon for a mounting manager/wizard would suffice.
Toni tried to bring it to heel, but the old gtk1 beast is stubborn, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 367#798367
Maybe, an app written for Mate's gtk is easier to tame? Ideally, I'd like to have only the storage part of Porteus manager. Your help and insight will be much appreciated.

Jasper

#3538 Post by Jasper »

Hi anikin et al,

SwapIcons works superbly with Precise 5.6. It's fast in operation and lean on resources. I merely wonder if it may be of use here.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83991
My regards

ninotix

#3539 Post by ninotix »

Nice,small yet fully functional and very fast pure debian distro,i love xfce-openbox combination

How do i enable touchpad options? In regular pup we have flsynclient and how do i set-up 3g connection for my huawei usb mobile broandband modem? Im using latest debiandog

saintless

#3540 Post by saintless »

Hi, Ninotix.

Type tapbutton in terminal to enable touchpad for the session.
You can also link /opt/bin/tapbutton in /root/Startup

3g connection - included frisbee has option to setup 3g but I can't test it my self.
It is Debian and you will find many suggestions googling for example debian wheezy huawei 3g
Any of them should work the same way in DebianDog.

Toni