Just-Lighthouse64-603/604

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Dry Falls

#341 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks Musher. Not sure what I'd do without your slocate gui. My scatter-brained box really is a reflection of my so-called mind. I've got auto-start disabled. I think once a month is good enough to rebuild the database. It's also good to find duplicates. Could a person write a gtk or qt 'echo' command to paste a search-term into the terminal?

I'm glad to hear it's working for you. I've got a delta patch coming up which removes lxde window manager (although spacefm and lx libraries are still in). It's not that I don't like lxde wm, but peebee's offerings are just plain superior.

The patch also includes some changes in the initrd file: some updated binaries and less compression of kernel modules, though it's hardly noticeable. Also, thanks to the discussion on slacko64 i added a few symlinks for eudev, though I've had that working pretty well with slackware64-14.1 for some time now. The rest is mostly cosmetic.

df

edit: Deltapatch is up. In addition to the changes mentioned, swat is not on the 'documentation.sfs'. This is to accommodate a possible/future samba upgrade.
Last edited by Dry Falls on Wed 25 Nov 2015, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#342 Post by gcmartin »

On some of my PCs, I have had trouble booting Just-Lighthouse, this year. During boot, I get a message "unable to find the sfs. Dropping out of ...". This occurs when process gets to "Locating main file and session files ..."

The DVD wont boot on couple of my AMD processors; namely a desktop as well as a laptop. In each case, in boot manager, I select the option "5a" of booting from DVD, first multisession.
Update: trying the USB option, "5b" and others also yield the same resulting boot failure.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that there may be a boot-time parm to add to the kernel line that provides the assist the system needs to find the Just-Lighthouse sfs so that normal boot can occur.

Do anyone know the parm?

Thanks in advance

Pelo

The Hapiness of Musher0

#343 Post by Pelo »

"Your Just-Lighthouse64-604.6.5 works great on my old dual-core HP Invent portable." enjoys Musher0.
Madre he will convince french to use it ! He will be the ambassador. Post that in french forum, where people are hardly booting Their Slackos ! :!:

musher0

#344 Post by musher0 »

@pelo:
Stop talking and start testing JL64, you'll see!
( "Grand parleur, petit faiseur !" ) ;) :D
("Very free" transl.: "Big talker doesn't do much!")

@Dry Walls:
Thanks for the compliment re: my slocate wrapper. Somebody came up
with a need in another thread a while back, and I just tried to respond to
it. I'm glad other people find it useful as well.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Dry Falls

#345 Post by Dry Falls »

gcmartin wrote:On some of my PCs, I have had trouble booting Just-Lighthouse, this year. During boot, I get a message "unable to find the sfs. Dropping out of ...". This occurs when process gets to "Locating main file and session files ..."
I would hazard to guess that your troublesome PCs already have an isolinux.cfg or grub.cfg which the DVD's boot sector reads and calls up rather than that on the optical disc. This is normal. If you don't want to rename or delete them, add the appropriate menu entry to cfg file on the partitiion and try again.

df

Dry Falls

Re: The Hapiness of Musher0

#346 Post by Dry Falls »

Pelo wrote:Madre he will convince french to use it ! He will be the ambassador. Post that in french forum, where people are hardly booting Their Slackos ! :!:
Just a reminder, most of the locale & i18n/m17n directories as well as intltool are on the NLS_base-JL64_604 sfs addon. It got a bit too big to fit on the iso, but perhaps it should replace Devx?

df

Dry Falls

Just-Lighthouse64-604.6.7

#347 Post by Dry Falls »

Just-Lighthouse64-604.6.7.iso (& sfs addons) at gdrive directory:

JL64-604

basefile: removed xfe file manager (use sfs), pwidgets, lxde window manager/desktop, bug fixes (puppy pin), updated pmusic
rebuilt & updated from scratch lxde with spacefm and conky v1.90 + conkyswitcher as sfs addon. nls and minimal devx (autoconf, automake, make, git & sed) on iso.

musher0

#348 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, Dry Falls.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Dry Falls

#349 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks, Musher. Elsewhere, you've commented on xorg.conf/wizard in L/JL64. Tazoc has a minimal xorg.conf which defaults to evdev rather than vesa if the appropriate driver is not found at first-boot. There is a choice for vesa using xorg-wizard but some newer boxes don't support vesa in the bios. evdev also provides more functionality (fbdev) than vesa. Logging out to prompt will, in JL64, give you the option of running xorg-wizard-bk/automatic/cli which I liberated from April. Tazoc's xorgwizard-puppy is still preferable (to me, anyway) but you have to know your screen dimensions if the driver isn't discovered automatically.

Meanwhile, here's a fix for Update. Apparently (now they tell me!) FilePup doesn't like hotlinks, now that they seem to have partnered with google-analytics so the url for filepup now points to usr/share/doc and the gdrive opens the browser directly to the JL64-604 directory at google drive:
Attachments
JL64updater-patch.pet
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

Dry Falls

#350 Post by Dry Falls »

This pet removes lxsession-default-apps from lxcontrolcenter. It is a chore to configure. Use standard puppy defaults chooser in LHP-lookNfeel instead. Also, lxde does not save sessions except at reboot or changwm. I think it's a function of polkit, which I have disabled due to incompatibility. Otherwise, lxde runs fine (& lighter) without it. For a more full-featured session, I'd choose xfce which has all the bangs & whistles.

df
Attachments
lxControlCenter-patch.pet
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

scientist

Does not boot correctly

#351 Post by scientist »

Using JL64-4.0.1f.iso - md5 - 4d4def53529be6246822d68c58eb0e82

(Same thing with Just-Lighthouse64-604.6.5.iso.)

After a full installation, it never reaches the desktop.

This is on a black screen
Decompressing Linux Parsing ELF done.

Booting the kernel.

Kernel panic - not syncing.

No working init found.

Trying passing init=option to kernel. See Linux documentation.

CPU: 1 PID Comm swapper not tainted.

4.1.11 JL-64#1

Hardware name HP 6730b

00000.....00000.....fffffffffffffffffff 817747fc

Call Trace:
<ffff.......

Kernel offset disabled.
Thanks,
Andy

Slacko 6.3.0 FULL INSTALL
JWM
File Manager - Thunar

scientist

#352 Post by scientist »

I installed JL as a frugal installation.

It is running fine.

Getting used to a little slower bootup and a different directory structure.

Having to change some scripts.

I noticed the Pfind is noticeably faster.
Thanks,
Andy

JWM
File Manager - Thunar

Dry Falls

#353 Post by Dry Falls »

Delta3 version update patch (103M) for JL64-604.7 to JL64-604.8 iso at gdrive.

rebuilt lxde with archlinux binary and noarch pcmanfm (DE switchable to spacefm or back)
compiz-fusion now working
new KDE sfs at gdrive JL64-604
some configuration changes & bugfixes in basefile
pup_event update (June 2013 to bk's Oct 2013)
modified save-session2flash (now works for all window managers)
updated pburn

@scientist: thanks for testing JL64 I'd be interested in what scripts you changed and how. Also, you said
Using JL64-4.0.1f.iso - md5 - 4d4def53529be6246822d68c58eb0e82
(Same thing with Just-Lighthouse64-604.6.5.iso.)
After a full installation, it never reaches the desktop.
Actually, JL64-4.0.1f is equivalent to JL64-603. There have been many substantial changes since June.

Lighthouse was never intended for full installation. However (and I've had no luck experimenting as well) if you can get it to work with grub2, please let us know how you did it.

df

scientist

#354 Post by scientist »

You might want to take away the option for a full install.

JL mis-identified a ext3 partition as an ext4 one.
Thanks,
Andy

JWM
File Manager - Thunar

gcmartin

Full install was NEVER supported in LightHouse series

#355 Post by gcmartin »

The "full" option was left there from the old days. In FATDOG5.0 days, a "non-supported" approach was produced. It was labeled experimental and both @Kirk and @TaZoC indicated that it was not supported.

@Just-Lighthouse merely carries forward that same experimental approach, never supporting it. I wont go into @TaZoC's specific reasons for not supporting it, but, I will share, that one test I did found that Ligthhouse performed much faster on LiveDVD use than my only tests using Full-install. I do understand why one would want a full install, though.

Even as I can understand, I have found RAM centric, Live use, to match my needs. In my new systems, I do NOT install any PUP to the HDD/SSD/USB/SD/MicroSD as my systems are generally booted and left running. I have previously ran and reported use of both a FATDOG distro and a LightHouse distro that ran for over a year WITHOUT rebooting after they were initially tailored for my desktop needs. Thus boot time in Live use is meaningless to someone like me as those systems use little to no power when not in use where they spring to action upon mouse movement/key touch.

Hope this is helpful.

Dry Falls

deltas

#356 Post by Dry Falls »

JL64-604.6.8 to JL64-604.6.8.1 delta + kde4 fix:
JL64-604.6.8.1Deltas.tar.gz (or scroll down gdrive JL64-604 directory)
mostly default configuration adjustments:
1. compiz set to indirect rendering (just in case)
2. disabled xfce power management (may conflict with x-screensaver)
x-screensaver dpms restricted to standby
3. fix for conky-switcher
4. xfce autostart modified
5. removed ramlink (Lighthouse already has precfg which works equally in ram and session-save)
6. modify grub2
7. sidebar scripts modified in KDE4
8. removed hwclock functions in init to accommodate 4.0+ kernels

And on the topic of precfg, it's been hiding in the init script (inside initrd.xz) all along. No need for portable apps. Just makedir 'precfg' at top of boot partition and drag apps such as ~/.mozilla or ~/.wine or add configuration files such as etc/X11/xorg.conf and they will overlay even the pupsave file during switch-root at boot-up. Pretty nifty.

edit whoops. If you've applied the delta, line 11 of /usr/local/bin/Xfce-Startup should read

Code: Select all

[ "`grep 'PUPMODE=7' $PUPMODE`" ] && ln -s /initrd/pup_ro1 /mnt/home && rm -f /dev_save
instead of directing home to /initrd/pup_ro2

df
Last edited by Dry Falls on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 06:45, edited 1 time in total.

scientist

Wine package ?

#357 Post by scientist »

Is there a wine package available for JL ?
Thanks,
Andy

JWM
File Manager - Thunar

musher0

Re: Wine package ?

#358 Post by musher0 »

scientist wrote:Is there a wine package available for JL ?
Hello, scientist.

You should be able to install directly the latest stable wine package from
the sourceforge site. It's easy enough. No need for a *.pet file for this.

Download the package you need (32 or 64 bits version) from
sourceforge. (It doesn't really matter that the package is for slackware,
they're all the same in the end.)

Once the package has finished downloading, double-click on it and
choose "install". It will be done for you by the script. To complete the
configuration, open a terminal and type: winecfg. You'll be asked a few
questions about important satellite packages (gecko, mono, IIRC), and
that's it.

Voilà, wine is now at your disposal! I hope this helps. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Dry Falls

wine

#359 Post by Dry Falls »

There's also this: Wine-1.7.23-i486_604.sfs (scroll down)

scientist

#360 Post by scientist »

Thanks Dry Falls. :-)
Thanks,
Andy

JWM
File Manager - Thunar