Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pemasu

#341 Post by pemasu »

I think so also that main thing is that /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts has same hostname. Rox relies on that.

The possible reasons that shell variables are not updated can be many.
Firstly. The shell variables locations might be slightly different in puppies. So the updating of them might not be succesful.
Secondly Busybox commands are not fully functional. They lack options.

I am just guessing now of the reason why shell variable hostname is not updated. But I am not so sure it causes any problems.

Interesting finding anyway.

jim3630

#342 Post by jim3630 »

stu90 wrote:DaveS,
In opera 11.50 do you have any problems with opera menu > extension > get extensions page not loading - i also cant log into yahoo mail.

I have tried Terryph 11.50.sfs and running portable from the 11.50 tar.gz opera download no joy. :(

This is only happening for me with Opera 11.50 my firefox 5 portable works.
stu90, also have opera 11.50 portable with same problem on extensions page but am able to log into yahoo.mail for what it's worth.

DaveS

#343 Post by DaveS »

jim3630 wrote:
stu90 wrote:DaveS,
In opera 11.50 do you have any problems with opera menu > extension > get extensions page not loading - i also cant log into yahoo mail.

I have tried Terryph 11.50.sfs and running portable from the 11.50 tar.gz opera download no joy. :(

This is only happening for me with Opera 11.50 my firefox 5 portable works.
stu90, also have opera 11.50 portable with same problem on extensions page but am able to log into yahoo.mail for what it's worth.
OK logging into Yahoo here. Must be your version....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

gcmartin

getting environment variable /etc/hostname /etc/hosts 2Bsame

#344 Post by gcmartin »

Yes, I understand.

Before the discovery, ROX, if it looked at the 3 fields, it saw possibly differing things. With the update of insuring /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts consistentcy, ROX performance changes significantly for the user experience. I cannot think of a single person who did not benefit from that update in hostname processing in "Personalize Settings".

We may not be able to pinpoint exactly who benefits from correcting this problem. But should this be corrected, we will be assured that whichever applications use any of the 3 fields in Linux, the answer will be the same....as it should.

This reporting is mainly an alert. I did not, nor cannot say specifically who in Linux uses the fields we're discussing.

But, I'm sure all of us would agree that we don't want one application/subsystem thinking the hostname is one thing while another thinks its something completely different because of the differences between each fields information.

All in all, though, Puppy is constantly maturing.

Hope this helps.

sszindian

#345 Post by sszindian »

(1) Fresh download 263 - All went well.
(2) Loaded per instructions - pfix=ram
(3) Installed Pwidgets from Quickpet... After installation pwidgets would NOT change color-theme and all text stayed WHITE no matter the color I choose.. This happened also back in 525 development somewhere?
(4) Installed Iron-12 from ibiblio, transfered some other .pet's from downloads in 262 over to new Downloads file in 263 to install later.
(5) Did normal shutdown... asked if I wanted to save the file... I said Yes... it than said... 'No Suitable Drive To Install File On' then sutdown without saving anything. (I have several other puppy save files on that HHD so it's not my equipment!)

Not much else to test if I can't save it?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

playdayz

#346 Post by playdayz »

I am using the latest 0.12.4 version of Yad http://code.google.com/p/yad/ that was compiled on Lucid 5.2.5 though with a different kernel as well - maybe it would be better to have it compiled on 26x/5.2.6 due to the luci updates ?
Ive not seen a devx for luci-26x is it safe to use the 5.2.5 devx and if you want i will make a new .pet?
stu90, The lupu_devx_525 is OK. The yad you have been using is probably OK, but if you have time to make one with the 2.6.33.2 kernel that would be great. Thanks. Wait, your yad programs have been working fine in lucid 5.2.5 haven't they? Let's just use that.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#347 Post by playdayz »

Someone can tell me.

If a file that is in the luci-263.sfs is deleted, how is that deletion recorded in the lucisave file? Say, just for instance, that I delete /usr/bin/abiword. OK, /usr/bin/abiword is still present in the luci-263.sfs because that is a read only file system. Somewhere in the lucisave file that deletion must be recorded, or something done, so that when luci 263 starts up again, the /usr/bin/abiword is still deleted--that is, doesn't show up.

I think I have probably explained enough so that someone who knows can tell me. I have looked everywhere I can think of. Thanks.

playdayz

#348 Post by playdayz »

pemasu, Thank you for the acpid and acpitool. On consideration I think I would prefer not to run another daemon. We got rid of hald--and IMHO every dameon sucks some overhead. I think it would be best to combine the two pets and put them in the PPM and in the Lucid Help so that laptop users and others who wanted them could find them easily. Am I overlooking something--does everyone want them? Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone, we are much farther along than it might seem. yad, the no hard drive fix, some jwm keybindings, and a couple of utilities are all that is left. I want to finish Lucid 5.2.6 with alacrity because Slacko is now in alpha and I don't want to interfere.

Even so, with the contributions people have made this is going to be a very nice Lucid to carry us the 2 or 3 months until Slacko is ready.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know, Iguleder, couldn't Dash go into the devx--that is, is it used only to prepare programs or at runtime?
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 12 Jul 2011, 00:03, edited 2 times in total.

pemasu

#349 Post by pemasu »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64570

That thread has more info about layered and readonly sfs as you ever want to know.
If you delete a file that exists in a read-only layer a whiteout file is created in the read-write layer. After that, there's no way to get the original file back (without munging the layers yourself). You can create a new file with the same name - in which case the whiteout file will be deleted but now your new file is there blocking the original version.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

whitelist files

#350 Post by Béèm »

It has been my understanding that in such case a whitelist file is created (.wh.) to mask it from the unionfs.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#351 Post by Béèm »

pemasu wrote:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64570

That thread has more info about layered and readonly sfs as you ever want to know.
If you delete a file that exists in a read-only layer a whiteout file is created in the read-write layer. After that, there's no way to get the original file back (without munging the layers yourself). You can create a new file with the same name - in which case the whiteout file will be deleted but now your new file is there blocking the original version.
You just did beat me on this. :wink:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

bigpup

Re: 263

#352 Post by bigpup »

sszindian wrote:(1) Fresh download 263 - All went well.
(2) Loaded per instructions - pfix=ram
(3) Installed Pwidgets from Quickpet... After installation pwidgets would NOT change color-theme and all text stayed WHITE no matter the color I choose.. This happened also back in 525 development somewhere?
(4) Installed Iron-12 from ibiblio, transfered some other .pet's from downloads in 262 over to new Downloads file in 263 to install later.
(5) Did normal shutdown... asked if I wanted to save the file... I said Yes... it than said... 'No Suitable Drive To Install File On' then sutdown without saving anything. (I have several other puppy save files on that HHD so it's not my equipment!)

Not much else to test if I can't save it?

>>>---Indian------>
What are your computer spec's?
How much free space on hard drive?

Try this:
Boot with the live Luci 263 CD pfix=ram
Before adding anything, shutdown or reboot.
What happens?
Last edited by bigpup on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

DaveS

#353 Post by DaveS »

In the end, I disabled the part of fixmenus that relates to fbpanel, set up the panel via the GUI to run without a menu and with only one launcher, which launches the myXdgMenu program provided by Stu90, and use the Openbox right click root menu.
Now I can edit fbpanel by hand to be configured any way I want knowing as long as I forget the GUI my edits will never be overwritten.
I fully understand this approach is not for everyone but for me its pure JOY :)
Given up with Chromium for now.

At second re-boot, wifi was persistent and has been since. I wonder if the initial problem related to setting up wifi before a save file had been created.

I notice in Startup there is a script called stay-connected.sh, but that it is not set to be executable?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#354 Post by DaveS »

"Munging"???? :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#355 Post by pemasu »

I could make two pets. One have acpid and acpitool.
The other has xbindkeys and xbindkeys-config which creates the laptop buttons keybindings. It will also enable multimedia keys to some extent to the default player which supports them, printscreen button to the default snapshot application and so on...
Or if that is possible without xbinkeys, I am open to include that solution if someone can do that.

gcmartin

Using LIve media save-sessions on Puppy

#356 Post by gcmartin »

playdayz wrote:Someone can tell me. ... Say, just for instance, ... I have looked everywhere I can think of. Thanks.
@Flash offer a very good explanation recently, herel

I can do a Live media test if it helps. Do you want a file/folder that is present in the base or are you looking for something of a very specific folder to be examined?

Hope this helps

pemasu

#357 Post by pemasu »

"Munging"????
It means head between your legs, watching upward and use your keyboard at same time.

bigpup

#358 Post by bigpup »

DaveS wrote: At second re-boot, wifi was persistent and has been since. I wonder if the initial problem related to setting up wifi before a save file had been created.
Well, there is this statement in Lucid Puppy News help.
Also, some things will work better, or at all, *after* you create the lupusave file and reboot.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

Re: Using LIve media save-sessions on Puppy

#359 Post by gcmartin »

playdayz wrote:Someone can tell me. ... Say, just for instance, ... I have looked everywhere I can think of. Thanks.
@Flash offer a very good explanation recently, herel ...
I used your abiword file. On Reboot, the save-session was found, and when at desktop the deleted file is NOT in the system.

This is same as @Flash explains

Hope this helps.

JonT

#360 Post by JonT »

I have whined (not too recently) about the black screens luci/lupu and other puppies with new-ish kernels on my Inspiron 1100 laptop with intel 82845 graphics and have not kept up with the thread. Well, something seems better! With luci 262 & 263 I have only had one balk in about ten boots/ x restarts. Hope it holds up. Has rerwin been at work on this? Thanks for giving me another choice.