ChoicePup4.1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tlchost

#341 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:
pistoi0 wrote:I When I built ChoicePup412minV2retro I used the initrd.gz and kernel from Puppy421retro because I figured it would be the most uptodate, but if its not working as well as the older versions then I'll revert back to an older build.
Please don't drop the retro version...some of us need it due to hardware problems. Perhaps an sfs for the wireless?

Thom

pistoi0

#342 Post by pistoi0 »

@jrb,
I just tried 4.21 retro and it worked with my wireless card (TI acx). There was a quirk, however. I booted the liveCD with the card plugged in and got a kernel panic. I took out the card, booted successfully, plugged in the card, ran the wizard and connected.

I also have to restate what I said about running previous retro-fitted pups with wireless. I went back through my CDs and found that the 'retro' version of the 3.xx series was successful with wireless.

Hope this helps.

sunburnt

#343 Post by sunburnt »

Just an FYI...
I noticed way back on page 2 that jrb was wondering about the need for the maxloops=xx line in the boot arguments for old kernels.
The older kernels had it set to 5 ( dumb, I know...), apparently Barry fixed this sometime back.
The old kernel`s need the boot argument or a line in /etc/modules.conf.

bones01

Internet Radio Stream

#344 Post by bones01 »

morning all,

I've loaded the streamtuner.sfs from the first page, and it's working well for the stations preloaded. However, when I try to add some other stations, I get the 'no stream' message.

When I click on the 'listen live' button on the websites I'm using, it tells me some plugins are missing, but doesn't give me the options of what is needed, at least not as far as I can tell. (pbsfm.org.au)

Am using 'firepup' also from the front page.

Thanks for any help you may have. Alternately, if this is better posted on a different forum page, let me know.

Cheers

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

jrb

#345 Post by jrb »

Just uploaded:
ch-fotoxx8.1_ufraw0.15.sfs A Photo editor/viewer. Thanks muggins
ch-Opera10b3-4562.sfs Opera10 beta3 without Unite

Enjoy, J

jrb

#346 Post by jrb »

pistoi0 wrote:I just tried 4.21 retro and it worked with my wireless card (TI acx). There was a quirk, however. I booted the liveCD with the card plugged in and got a kernel panic. I took out the card, booted successfully, plugged in the card, ran the wizard and connected.
Thats the same kernel and init thats in ChoicePup-minV2-retro. I'm surprised it doesn't act the same.
pistoi0 wrote:the 'retro' version of the 3.xx series was successful with wireless.
Thats kernel 2.6.18.1. I'll have a look but I don't think its setup with the same sfs filesystem as the later kernels and won't run the ch packages. Too bad!
sunburnt wrote:The older kernels had it set to 5
Thanks sunburnt. Thats progress I guess.
bones01 wrote:when I try to add some other stations, I get the 'no stream' message.
Sorry bones, I don't know much about some of these programs even though I packaged them as sfs files. Better to ask in Streamtuner+AlsaPlayer-476kb or Streamtuner+Aqualung-576kb

Bye for now, J

bones01

#347 Post by bones01 »

bones01 wrote:when I try to add some other stations, I get the 'no stream' message.
Sorry bones, I don't know much about some of these programs even though I packaged them as sfs files. Better to ask in Streamtuner+AlsaPlayer-476kb or Streamtuner+Aqualung-576kb

Bye for now, J[/quote]

Thanks for your response jrb. Have posted and now wait for a response.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

jrb

#348 Post by jrb »

I have just placed two .pets :shock: on page 1.

ch-doc-rtf_viewer.pet will allow you to click on .doc or .rtf files and view them with doc&rtf_viewer. When you load a word processor it will take over that task although you can still right click on the file and choose doc&rtf_viewer.

Attn: tlchost
ch-pcd-1.0-412.pet allows you to play audio CD's with Zigbert's pCD program just by clicking on the desktop drive icon. You have to reboot after installing the .pet.
Warning: If you should decide to uninstall it let me know because it takes a little fiddling to get the desktop drive icons to work again. Good idea to backup your pup_save first. Then if you don't like it you can just revert to your backup pup_save.

I will be building these into the next version of ChoicePup

Enjoy, J
Last edited by jrb on Thu 27 Aug 2009, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

#349 Post by jrb »

Doublepost (duh!) :oops:

jrb

#350 Post by jrb »

I have finally gotten around to making and uploading ch-Opera10final-4585 Opera10 final version.

This version should get rid of those irritating "New version available messages". For awhile anyway :roll:

Enjoy, J

jrb

#351 Post by jrb »

I have uploaded ch-min-cups-1.1.23V2.sfs. This fixes the problem of netsurf not opening the cups interface. It will open the cups new printer webpage in your browser instead of your htmlviewer. Although if you haven't loaded a browser other than netsurf there may still be a problem, so load another browser before you set up cups.

If you really want to use netsurf to setup cups then open netsurf and type http://localhost:631/ in the address window. Or open a console window and type

Code: Select all

netsurf http://localhost:631/
Make sure you have loaded the ch-min-cups-1.1.23V2.sfs first however.

I like netsurf but all the lightweight browsers seem to have shortcomings.

Bye for now, J

bones01

#352 Post by bones01 »

jrb wrote:bones,

As for wbar, I did try it in ChoicePup and it worked OK but I chose not to use it.

Good Luck, Keep me posted, J
Hi JRB,

I know this is looking back a fair way (May), but I;m having another go at getting wbar up and running. Didn't have any luck with Cairo dock, so tried to follow the wbar instructions on the wiki - http://www.puppylinux.org/?q=wiki/how-tos/general/wbar

However, when I type wbar --help into the console I get this message:
wbar: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libImlib2.so.1: file too short

Before I start yet another thread, would you know if this might be an issue with choicepup or wbar or anything else?

Thanks for your ongoing help.

thanks for uploading the new opera too.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

technosaurus

#353 Post by technosaurus »

I would suggest looking in the macpup threads. It uses wbar. I made a combined sfs or pet of icewm and wbar under 500kb. It should be at puppylinux.asia/members/T. Or you can get the macjic pet at macpup.org

p.s. I think it needs Imlib2 (or something like that)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

bones01

#354 Post by bones01 »

Catdude came through with an answer at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 195#341195

It's up and working.

Now if I can work out how to clear the icons from the desktop, I will be enormously content.
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Aitch

#355 Post by Aitch »

hi bones

I think this will help

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=251833

Aitch :)

sunburnt

#356 Post by sunburnt »

jrb; Need a few more apps. in SFS files
Grouping apps. by type into SFS files would be a good idea.

Utility apps.: ethereal, gparted, a process manager, and other utilities.
Web apps.: chat, email, voip, vnc, rdp, download managers, etc.
Media apps.: video and audio converters and players, rippers, etc.
Office apps.: Open Office and K Office do this quite well, bundle others.
Development apps.: programming languages, IDEs, compilers, etc.

I probably forgot a few things, but this covers a lot of the available apps.

bones01

#357 Post by bones01 »

Hi JRB,

I've been playing around with the desktop now that I have wbar up and going. It looks good, but I've changed something I want to change back!

The original taskbar had three buttons - shut down, reboot, show desktop. I've lost these and would like to get them back. What do I need to do to get these back?

Also, I can't move the taskbar to the top of the screen. I know it used to do this, but no more. Any idea?

Thanks for your ongoing help.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

bones01

#358 Post by bones01 »

One other thing. I've been reading about puppy 4.3, and wonder if there are plans for using 4.3 and choicepup?
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

tlchost

#359 Post by tlchost »

bones01 wrote:One other thing. I've been reading about puppy 4.3, and wonder if there are plans for using 4.3 and choicepup?
4.3 doesn't use the file structure for sfs files that olderversions use...so all the CH-xxx.sfs files that exist would have to be converted.

Thom

sunburnt

#360 Post by sunburnt »

4.3 doesn't use the file structure for sfs files that olderversions use...
so all the CH-xxx.sfs files that exist would have to be converted.
Another very good reason for making and using "attachable" SFS files.
Mount them but no union, then changes to the sys.. layout don`t matter.
Attachable SFS file`s are completely separate entities, a new app. package.