1.050 is a bit slow; would recommend 1.5 GHz as bottom border

the video rightclick sub-menu differ at Google video and YouTube
YouTube presents more info
the Settings... submenu doesn`t work on both
But that`s O.K.

Jasper

#322 Post by Jasper »

Hi The Team et al,

Some moons ago I read a lengthy explanation of the red graph next to the clock in the tray and thought it most confusing.

If it is some kind of overload warning then I think it would be good it were green, but changed to red if there were any cause for concern or a need to pause any input, or take any other action, and wait for it to return to green.

I merely mention this as, since I do not understand it, I hardly ever look at it; but then I never have a RAM problem (with 640 MB) and only rarely does my CPU stay at 100% for long.

My regards

pemasu

#323 Post by pemasu »

One man experiment with pulseaudio continues...

Now pulseaudio device chooser works. Needed again hacking of .conf file. But module raop for Airport is not (yet) functional. I am afraid it is (again) tough piece.
And Luci219 is now much more Ubuntu.

PS. Sorry that I use dropped luci219 for testing but there would be too much work if I start again with 220. At least I see how much luci can be ubuntusized before breaking it.

Screenshot of interesting missing dependencies and working pulseaudio modules.
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 29 Aug 2010, 11:16, edited 4 times in total.

Stripe

#324 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

have been using 220 as my default system and no probs yet, will keep testing

Cheers
Stripe

DaveS

#325 Post by DaveS »

Sir Jasper wrote:Hi The Team et al,

Some moons ago I read a lengthy explanation of the red graph next to the clock in the tray and thought it most confusing.

If it is some kind of overload warning then I think it would be good it were green, but changed to red if there were any cause for concern or a need to pause any input, or take any other action, and wait for it to return to green.

I merely mention this as, since I do not understand it, I hardly ever look at it; but then I never have a RAM problem (with 640 MB) and only rarely does my CPU stay at 100% for long.

My regards
Maybe here? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29925
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jasper

#326 Post by Jasper »

Hi DaveS,

I seem to recall the explanation I saw was significantly longer and more detailed and more technical than the reference you kindly provided.

However, may I enquire if you personally pay much attention to the graph and if (ignoring any difficulty in implementation) you see any merit in the red/green suggestion?

My regards

DaveS

#327 Post by DaveS »

Sir Jasper wrote:Hi DaveS,

I seem to recall the explanation I saw was significantly longer and more detailed and more technical than the reference you kindly provided.

However, may I enquire if you personally pay much attention to the graph and if (ignoring any difficulty in implementation) you see any merit in the red/green suggestion?

My regards
Actually, I delete it :) For me, its wasted space.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Karl Godt

#328 Post by Karl Godt »

I seem to recall the explanation I saw was significantly longer
perhaps this Sticky one

Karl Godt

#329 Post by Karl Godt »

While figuring out to add pupdial to /root/.jwmrc and /root/.jwmrc.previous
that gets deleted after using fixmenus command

I found out that actually there is a whole `xwin icewm` desktop :oops: :D

always thought that this would be a kind of /opt/kde tilover from some old times :D

it is very beautiful !!!!!!! 8)

also copyied `fixitup` command from 4.3 to /usr/sbin which seems to work !

The midori icon.pet didn`t wrote the .MIMETYPE to .jwmrc and /.icewm/menu so the icon did not appear at the menu

also the Reopen a previously closed tab or window icon at midori now is a trash pix :roll:

scruffy

Luci 220 testing

#330 Post by scruffy »

Luci 220 Fresh Frugal install

These tested OK
-----------------
Sound and internet working out of the box.
Opera 10.1
Wine and Spotify
Quickpet
Switching WM/Icons/Wallpaper/WM theme

A couple of problems
----------------------
1)Abiword was OK including spell check except Help which just produced this message (just the last line).
# abiword

** (abiword:19514): WARNING **: Error loading plugin: libaspell.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (abiword:19514): WARNING **: Operation not supported

2)Gnumeric Help didn't work it came up with a message (see attachment below):

3)Midori search engine settings still not right so I changed them to the settings in attachment below.
Attachments
midorisearch.jpg
Midori search settings
(57.16 KiB) Downloaded 973 times
gnumerichelp.jpg
Gnumeric help message
(19.21 KiB) Downloaded 961 times
AMD Athlon 1100MHz 512MB -Soundcard C-media CMI8738 -Graphics Nvidia geforce 4 MX440 - Netgear wired DSL

DaveS

#331 Post by DaveS »

Karl Godt wrote:the icon did not appear at the menu
Karl, this is a fault with the install process with Midori. To fix it, go to /usr/share/applications/midori.desktop and open midori.desktop in a text editor. Look for the 'icon=midori' entry, and change it to 'icon=midori.png'
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Karl Godt

#332 Post by Karl Godt »

Merci Beaucoup Dave !

Also read this about to fix menu entries

So I copied /usr/share/applications/pupdial from 4.3 to luci-220 , ran fixmenus and voila pupdial shows up at the menu.

No tinkering around with .jwmrc anymore !!!! :D

playdayz

#333 Post by playdayz »

Pdebthing can open the ports to lupu pet packages.
01micko had posted a similar tool early on in the Lucid Puppy 5.10 development thread. Does anyone have a link right to it--that thread is of daunting length now. Thanks.

Oh One Micko, do you have a link to the program you made to turn debs into pets? Thanks.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 29 Aug 2010, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#334 Post by playdayz »

One man experiment with pulseaudio continues...

Now pulseaudio device chooser works.
pemasu, When you have it all sorted, do you think you could build a pet that does everything, then others could use it easily. Thanks.

pemasu

#335 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. About Pulseaudio. Not this way. I installed ubuntu packages with dependencies a lot and when things didnt work, then I stopped to check what I still need. If I would try to make pulseaudio package, I should check from ubuntu-more-info page the needed dependencies and install only them if they are not on the default system. This way the result would be sensible size. Also those multiuser needs is something most users probably dont want to their Puppies. My way to use pulseaudio was also "wrong" because I used root priviledges in some daemons aka systemwide for pulseaudio daemon. Not recommended. I hacked also .conf files to allow to do things. I would say most my server processes werent safe anymore for intruders. Also I dont have knowledge about those processes how they should start automatically. Of course script to start them and placed to Startup should work.

It is mad experiment more than sensible trial to produce package for everyone. At least pulseaudio works in Lucid Puppy !!!!

01micko tool for packages was maybe this: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 115#427115

01micko posted other posts also about making packages. He knows better.

I have used 01mickos alien2puppy. I posted Xbindkeys-config-0.1.3_2.pet made with alien2puppy. Alien2puppy works fine when you have already downloaded .deb packages.

Pdebthing can do .deb downloading with all needed dependencies, so I have understood. Then it is time to use alien2puppy or pdebthing to do the rest also. Need to try :)

playdayz

#336 Post by playdayz »

I'd like to have packages for Claws Mail (Sylpheed's big brother, bigger and more extensible, yet lighter than Thunderbird), Liferea (news reader), Audacious (lightweight music player, ideal for small screens) and iok (on-screen keyboard). I'm pretty sure Pdebthing can handle this ...
Iguleder, people post packages for testing. tronkel has done a number of games and many other people have posted packages. If the testing looks good some of those go into the puppy-lucid repo of Puppy Package Manager. Others will be available in the Additional Software forum

Indeed it is good to have as many good packages as possible. We want the packages to be "tested and configured" in Lucid Puppy with menu entries and whatever config is appropriate. We already have an Audacious pet in the repo. Thanks.

01micko

#337 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:
Pdebthing can open the ports to lupu pet packages.
01micko had posted a similar tool early on in the Lucid Puppy 5.10 development thread. Does anyone have a link right to it--that thread is of daunting length now. Thanks.

Oh One Micko, do you have a link to the program you made to turn debs into pets? Thanks.
See my signature :wink: (the page has forum links too)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#338 Post by playdayz »

Ridiculously and Completely Excessive

Adobe Acrobat Reader 2.3.3 (the latest) is now available in Puppy Package Manager -> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet
It is 61MB in size. Yes, that's right, Sixty-One Megabytes. It unpacks to 146MB, that's right, more than the whole Lucid Puppy put together, larger than that by 20 more MB.

With that said, it seems to work as it should, and if I ever need to assure the most accurate presentation and printing of pdf documents, then there it is, waiting to be used, for mission-critical, cost-no-object situations. And I can imagine that there could be such situations concerning the work that I do for pay.

For a more reasonable PDF Reader and Printer, Foxit Reader is also in the Puppy Package Manager--it only costs 3.5MB, let's see, that is about 1/40th the size of Acrobat Reader. Finally, for viewing pdf's, ePdfViewer is built in to Lucid Puppy--it is not printing correctly at the moment--something to do with problems with fonts, so if you need to download and print pdf's, Foxit Reader would be the place to start (or start with rcrsn's guidelines on printing listed in LupuNews, that shows an alternative way to enable printing pdf's). Speaking of fonts, the reason Acrobat Reaader is so accurate is that it contains everything that it might ever need to accurately present and print the pdf's, including fonts, as I understand it.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet

playdayz

#339 Post by playdayz »

So I copied /usr/share/applications/pupdial from 4.3 to luci-220 , ran fixmenus and voila pupdial shows up at the menu.
Should pupdial be in the Puppy Package Manager for easy installation and config?

Tasgarth

Luci 220 Full Install Report

#340 Post by Tasgarth »

Luci 220 Full Install Report:

jwm and icewm are OK
Only problem noted so far is that /temp/xerrs.log reports ... errors :
ash: 18081: unknown operand
and several gtk-Warnings.
Attachments
xerrs.zip
(928 Bytes) Downloaded 297 times