Puppy 4.2 RC4 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

WhoDo

#321 Post by WhoDo »

Patriot wrote: ... It has always slipped my mind to ask you to update the acpid scripts previously. If it's not too late, could you kindly update the restart/poweroff scripts with this pet ?
I'll have a look and see what I can do for the new Godfather of JWM at Puppy! :P No promises, mind. We'll see... :wink:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#322 Post by WhoDo »

tronkel wrote:Any chance of including Tilda - a drop-down terminal console in 4.20?
No, but hold that thought for the possible CE version to follow. :wink:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

capoverde

#323 Post by capoverde »

athanasios wrote: (...) I cannot install pets. Puppy Package Manager Exits when I press the small pet icons. (...)
That happened to me too, but then I realized I still had the "old" pup_420.sfs copied on my HD, thus I was actually still using RC3. Just wipe that file out and copy the new one, which is different despite the same name, I'll bet the PET package manager will work. 8)

mawebb88

Re: Claws and Gmail RC4

#324 Post by mawebb88 »

WhoDo wrote: I am very relieved we were able to achieve this, too, since many users would likely have complained at losing access to their Seamonkey mail history and archives (at least for the short term). :roll:
That's great news as far as I am concerned. Many thanks WhoDo.

Regards Mike

trio

#325 Post by trio »

Ah, Sir Whodo

Already try the Sigmund's latest first boot up clock fix? Pwidgets v 2.0.6-3. I test it and I think this is the ONE.

Ps: I should ask panzerpuppy to mock the softly outlined jwm windows, for you to auto-include it, hhhh

Thanks and cheers

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#326 Post by Béèm »

WhoDo wrote:
Béèm wrote:I copied pup_420.sfs to /mnt/home.
When the desktop comes up, I see the two yellow dotes, but after some 2-3 seconds, the one of sda1 disappears.

Strange way of doing things and I don't know why this happens so.
But at least my sda1 ntfs partition isn't exposed anymore.
Yep, Barry's event manager copies the drive icon locations to /root/Choices/PuppyPin so they display. If you reboot later and the drives no longer exist, you'll get broken links that must be removed. If the drives DO exist it takes event manager a few seconds to update PuppyPin and display the new drive condition (yellow dot, green dot or no dot). That's what you experienced.

Glad your system is doing what you expected now.
Thank you for the time you took to explain.

And congratulations for the way the 4.2 is evolving.
I find more user friendliness and utilities then in 4.12 to make life easier running puppy.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

WhoDo

#327 Post by WhoDo »

trio wrote:Already try the Sigmund's latest first boot up clock fix? Pwidgets v 2.0.6-3. I test it and I think this is the ONE.
Yep, and it works fine after several rebuilds and tests, too! Colour me HAPPY! :P
trio wrote:Ps: I should ask panzerpuppy to mock the softly outlined jwm windows, for you to auto-include it, hhhh
Nah! Panzer and I have an "arrangement" ... anything he recommends, I do the exact opposite! Dark window borders will now be double bold black! :lol: :lol:

trio

#328 Post by trio »

Whodo

Nooooooooo....... :)

Ray MK

#329 Post by Ray MK »

Hi ttuuxxx

Thanks for reply - looked in thumbnails and nothing in there, never thought of looking
there.

Not a major problem - more of a minor irritation. But - it would be nice to know why?

I just make a backup copy of pup_save.2fs at first with all my essential settings saved, put it in a folder (bak) and when I feel it's appropriate - delete the offending bloated pup_save.2fs and start again.

Thanks again - Ray

ttuuxxx

#330 Post by ttuuxxx »

Ray MK wrote:Hi ttuuxxx

Thanks for reply - looked in thumbnails and nothing in there, never thought of looking
there.
that means your not using thumbnail viewing for images, most don't know how to turn it on.
right click inside a open folder and select options.
then select thumbnails
then select show image thumbnails like below, but you'll have to clean that directory regularly.
ttuuxxx
Attachments
rox.jpg
(46.47 KiB) Downloaded 1040 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

pa_mcclamrock

#331 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Following up on my report of a couple of users who had Remaster Express hang at approximately Step Four: here's a revised version of the "remax" script (just untar the tarball to get the script; I had to put it in a tarball because I got a message saying "extension not allowed" when I just tried to attach it as "remax"). Anyone who would like to help squash this bug, please copy the revised script to /usr/sbin (you might want to rename the original script "remax.old" or something first, instead of just deleting or overwriting it). The revised script is designed to catch and report any errors that arise when you click "Accept and Proceed" at Step Four; then, after an error is reported in a dialog box, the program should exit when you click OK.

Please let me know if you get any errors reported on your system from this and, if so, the exact language of the error messages. (You don't have to proceed to burn a CD or save an ISO if you don't get any error messages; you can just click "Abandon" when you get to Step Five.) Thanks in advance!
Attachments
remax.tar.gz
(20.19 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

Minnesota

Thank you

#332 Post by Minnesota »

Lobster
Any way to attach a htm file to this post?
zip or rename it with a zip extension
Thank you I had tried renaming to htmX and removing htm altogether
:)

Will stick that away for the future :D .
Greg

Minnesota

remaster

#333 Post by Minnesota »

pa_mcclamrock
Yesterday I tried the remaster, big system, it worked fine....vanilla

Have to say, score one more for Puppy! The concept is neat and easy to use!! We keep learning!

DC

#334 Post by DC »

Ray MK
Not sure why - but something is very slowly and very steadily gobbling
up space in my Puppy Space (pup_save42.2fs) file.

I just make a backup copy of pup_save.2fs - delete the offending bloated pup_save.2fs and start again.
Have you tried comparing whats in you backup pup_save file?

If you click on a pup_save file it opens like a normal directory.
Right clicking on a directory then > count tells you the size of the directory usage.

Might take a bit but it should show you which directory is bigger then just a case of looking at the files inside.

DC

trio

#335 Post by trio »

Hey Whodo

Pls see my latest post in pwidgets thread corcerning pwidgets at boot up, I let pwidgets decides itself when to render rather then preset sleep. Should cater best for slow and fast machines..try and if it works (test please) you might want use it.

Regards

panzerpuppy

#336 Post by panzerpuppy »

athanasios

#337 Post by athanasios »

Thanks to all for instructions.
capoverde wrote:
athanasios wrote: (...) I cannot install pets. Puppy Package Manager Exits when I press the small pet icons. (...)
That happened to me too, but then I realized I still had the "old" pup_420.sfs copied on my HD, thus I was actually still using RC3. Just wipe that file out and copy the new one, which is different despite the same name, I'll bet the PET package manager will work. 8)
You were right:
I run RC4 CD and again failed to work.
I removed puppy partition from mbr with my boot manager and run again RC4 CD. It worked fine.
I reformatted puppy partition and reinstalled puppy from RC4 CD. Up and running!

Here I have a completely trash PC (all parts except my sound card that comes from my first 386, come from various 'dead' PCs thrown in the garbage-even the 15 inch monitor!) running fast and nice. I had also installed FreeDOS and WindozeMe, but besides updates and drivers downloads I didn't dare use the latter for browsing - it wouldn't last more than a month. Viruses would crash it. Now I have a 2nd safe to use for browsing PC - just in case my wife uses the other one. :D
Thanks to all developers. :mrgreen:

:oops: Noob question:
Was my mistake that I didn't use 'clean' option during booting of RC4 CD? Is 'clean' option in boot the right way to upgrade an existing HDD installation?

regards
athanasios

esmourguit

#338 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour,
@ ttuuxxx
About cups, in the menus i noticed a lot of opportunities around printing. There are two possibilities that are similar but that run the same program in a manner somewhat divergent:
Manage Printing in the System menu that matches to /usr/share/applications/cups.desktop launches killcups.
CUPS Printer Wizard in the Setup menu that matches to /usr/share/applications/printer-wizard.desktop launches cups_shell.
Would it be possible to simplify and offer only one choice, or is it mandatory to have both in the menu. I do not have a printer and I did not understand the difference.
Cordialement ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

pa_mcclamrock

Re: remaster

#339 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Minnesota wrote:
pa_mcclamrock
Yesterday I tried the remaster, big system, it worked fine....
It's always worked fine on my system too, but I can't ignore the reports from the two users it didn't work for. (I asked them to try the revised "remax" script, but I haven't heard back from them yet.) At least I guess the revised script should be substituted for the original, so Remaster Express will crash at once in an orderly manner, instead of hanging indefinitely, for users who have this problem! :roll:
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

`f00

#340 Post by `f00 »

1) pwidgets±conky and backgrounds/'other'wm/xtras

Yah (ref the /usr/share/backgrounds/pwidgets*), as far as I can tell this is a .png created from the chosen background that pwidgets makes Conky ref as a background .. with whatever is done as far as sidecurtains or other pwidget enhancements tacked on .. it's a fairly sizeable file and tends to make Conky slow down or take awhile to properly set a pseudo-transparent bg-window .. if it does so at all or within a reasonable timeframe on older machines with limited processing abilities (imo+disclaimers,usw).

bsetbg no longer works for Blackbox since it seems perhaps some of the older imaging apps have been stripped out in rc4 .. but

Code: Select all

rox -p=Default
is an acceptable substitute for a BB bg-setter if one wishes a separate bg for BB. If a 'matching' Conky is desired, that's fairly easily imported as well (just dump the .conkyrc or a symlink in /root/ dir and

Code: Select all

conky -d
or fiddle a startup for it or mess with .xinitrc 'til it works.

wbar may do some bg anomalies as well, but almost 2nd nature to fix by r-click/l-click if it's 'off' a bit.

2) abiword and perceived font-size
example screenshot as follows
for some reason fonts always appear larger in abiword by a small difference than how they are displayed in other apps - is this usually the case? Of course one can always peruse the abiword website documentation to see why this is so if it's been documented there . . .

@athanasios - big ;) :lol: