DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mcewanw

#321 Post by mcewanw »

New addon ('hijack' plugin) for pAVrecord posted. Results in high quality screencast encode (same quality as SimpleScreenRecorder on my system):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 345#921345

Nevertheless, the newer weX program should provide equally good quality results and with more options such as for selecting specific window or screen area to capture with mouse, as well as option to embed webcam video in screencast:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107905

William
github mcewanw

Pelo

Puppy Linux can now screencast with Portable-wex

#322 Post by Pelo »

Puppy Linux can now screencast with Portable-wex. Slacko 5.3.3 and Slegopen, Slacko 5.7 from skamilinux hungarian Puppy team can use it without any trouble.
I wanted to post a demo on youtube with Slacko 5.7, but QtWEB or extension mkv seems to prevent the upload. It will come soon, i will use another Puppy.
Don't ask me why portable-wex works, i could not explain. What is important for us, is what a Puppy Linux does, what Wex does. How it was built... is not the passenger's headache. :)
But to make it known that wex is available even for versions as Slacko 5.3.3 is their duty. 14MBs only, it can even be used on old machines, If RAM is enough to play videos, of course.

Lassar

#323 Post by Lassar »

post deleted by Lassar

fredx181

#324 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:Puppy Linux can now screencast with Portable-wex. Slacko 5.3.3 and Slegopen, Slacko 5.7 from skamilinux hungarian Puppy team can use it without any trouble.
I wanted to post a demo on youtube with Slacko 5.7, but QtWEB or extension mkv seems to prevent the upload. It will come soon, i will use another Puppy.
Don't ask me why portable-wex works, i could not explain. What is important for us, is what a Puppy Linux does, what Wex does. How it was built... is not the passenger's headache. Smile
But to make it known that wex is available even for versions as Slacko 5.3.3 is their duty. 14MBs only, it can even be used on old machines, If RAM is enough to play videos, of course.
Appreciated your enthusiasm for weX (or wex-portable) it's indeed a very nice program that William (mcewanw) has created, but why post here?

For info, wex-portable is only 32-bit compatible, so doesn't work on DebianDog64 (or any 64-bit OS).

weX screencast application:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107905

Fred

trister

Load .squashfs / .sfs before changes.dat

#325 Post by trister »

Hello,
I have a question...
I have created an sfs and a squashfs with some apps I want with some basic configuration.

I am loading them manually using loadmodule from inside the /root/.xsession script.

My problem is that these squashfs load AFTER changes.dat and any minor adjustments I made are overwritten by my squashfs.

I want to first load my squashfs/sfs and then changes.dat so what I do in changes.dat to "overwrite" the same files in my squashfs.

I could put my changes to 01-filesystem but I want to avoid that.

Do you have any suggestion on where should I put the loadmodule command?

Thanks in advance :)

Using proteus boot -if it helps

fredx181

Re: Load .squashfs / .sfs before changes.dat

#326 Post by fredx181 »

trister wrote:Hello,
I have a question...
I have created an sfs and a squashfs with some apps I want with some basic configuration.

I am loading them manually using loadmodule from inside the /root/.xsession script.

My problem is that these squashfs load AFTER changes.dat and any minor adjustments I made are overwritten by my squashfs.

I want to first load my squashfs/sfs and then changes.dat so what I do in changes.dat to "overwrite" the same files in my squashfs.

I could put my changes to 01-filesystem but I want to avoid that.

Do you have any suggestion on where should I put the loadmodule command?

Thanks in advance :)

Using proteus boot -if it helps
Hi trister,

Two options:
1. You can use the "activate no overwrite" option for loadmodule (when loading .squashfs during a session):
loadmodule -ano /path/to/module.squashfs (will not overwrite same existing files in changes.dat)

2. You can place the .squashfs modules (not .sfs, rename it to .squashfs) inside the 'live' folder (on frugal install boot partition) then these will be loaded on every boot (so reboot required) before changes.dat (will not overwrite same existing files in changes.dat)
(this is only for when frugal installed, not when booted from read-only media,e.g CD, of course).

Hope this helps.

Fred

trister

Re: Load .squashfs / .sfs before changes.dat

#327 Post by trister »

fredx181 wrote:
Hi trister,

Two options:
1. You can use the "activate no overwrite" option for loadmodule (when loading .squashfs during a session):
loadmodule -ano /path/to/module.squashfs (will not overwrite same existing files in changes.dat)

2. You can place the .squashfs modules (not .sfs, rename it to .squashfs) inside the 'live' folder (on frugal install boot partition) then these will be loaded on every boot (so reboot required) before changes.dat (will not overwrite same existing files in changes.dat)
(this is only for when frugal installed, not when booted from read-only media,e.g CD, of course).

Hope this helps.

Fred
Thank you very much Fred :)
Both answers cover me :)
I did not understand that the no-overwrite did that thing :)

About your 2nd suggestion,
during boot all the "live" folder is scanned for all *squashfs files in any specific order (eg alphabetical) ;

Also, I am creating some SFS files that run on debiandog64 i will post them in the forum when ready :)
Last edited by trister on Wed 19 Oct 2016, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#328 Post by fredx181 »

trister wrote:durning boot all the live folder is scanned for all *squashfs files in any specific order;
Yes, e.g. 02.squashfs will overwrite same files from inside 01.squashfs, or:
B.squashfs will overwrite same files from inside 01.squashfs and also from inside A.squashfs (to say short, higher in alphanumerical order will override lower)
(this is for when using porteus-boot method)

Fred

belham2

#329 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred,

When you get a chance, could you look at this thread in 'Security' started by rufwoof, specifically my post here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 616#929616. I am sure there is something stupid-simple that I do not understand what is invloved when updating linux-images in any debiandog (32 or 64-bit).

Thanks!!

fredx181

#330 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham,

I really understand your confusion, it all has to do with the difference between a 'live' system and a 'full installed' system, let me try to clarify:

- On a standard full install the initrd and vmlinuz files are in /boot , when upgrading the kernel to a newer version, the files in /boot will be upgraded too (along with the files in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>)
So this way all these are perfectly synced with each other.

- On a 'live' system such as Debiandog, it's different,: the initrd and vmlinuz files are in the 'live' folder of e.g. a frugal install, synaptic, apt or dpkg doesn't know that these are there, they are expected to be in /boot (and not to speak about the initrd1.xz (porteus-boot) which is not part of Debian itself of course)
So suppose you'd upgrade the kernel (linux-image package) the files in /lib/modules/<kernel-version> will be replaced/upgraded but not the initrd and vmlinuz in the frugal installed 'live' folder.

This above 'not synced' situation can lead to problems, that's why we decided to 'pin' the linux-image package (upgrade locked) for DebianDog. (see in etc/apt/preferences and /var/lib/synaptic/preferences)

Btw, a big coincidence is that at the time you mention these 'problems', I am just busy with a script that will do the kernel upgrade and at the same time upgrade the inird and vmlinuz in the 'live' folder, almost ready, will post later.

I think I can explain why synaptic shows on your screenshot version 3.16.7-ckt25-2:
It did install this version well apparently (from .deb) but... you have booted with the 'older' vmlinuz1 (from 'live' folder)
(that's why uname -a shows the old version)

Hope to have shined some light on this matter.

Fred

belham2

#331 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Belham,

I really understand your confusion, it all has to do with the difference between a 'live' system and a 'full installed' system, let me try to clarify:

- On a standard full install the initrd and vmlinuz files are in /boot , when upgrading the kernel to a newer version, the files in /boot will be upgraded too (along with the files in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>)
So this way all these are perfectly synced with each other.

- On a 'live' system such as Debiandog, it's different,: the initrd and vmlinuz files are in the 'live' folder of e.g. a frugal install, synaptic, apt or dpkg doesn't know that these are there, they are expected to be in /boot (and not to speak about the initrd1.xz (porteus-boot) which is not part of Debian itself of course)
So suppose you'd upgrade the kernel (linux-image package) the files in /lib/modules/<kernel-version> will be replaced/upgraded but not the initrd and vmlinuz in the frugal installed 'live' folder.

This above 'not synced' situation can lead to problems, that's why we decided to 'pin' the linux-image package (upgrade locked) for DebianDog. (see in etc/apt/preferences and /var/lib/synaptic/preferences)

Btw, a big coincidence is that at the time you mention these 'problems', I am just busy with a script that will do the kernel upgrade and at the same time upgrade the inird and vmlinuz in the 'live' folder, almost ready, will post later.

I think I can explain why synaptic shows on your screenshot version 3.16.7-ckt25-2:
It did install this version well apparently (from .deb) but... you have booted with the 'older' vmlinuz1 (from 'live' folder)
(that's why uname -a shows the old version)

Hope to have shined some light on this matter.

Fred
Hi Fred,

Wow, thanks for being 'patient' and explaining that to me. It actually all makes sense to that piece of wood in my head that most people call a 'brain' :lol: Seriously, though, thank you very much. I really love do learning about this stuff, even if I am only like another fan sitting in the football (soccer) stadium and thinking "hey, I can play with those guys on the field!"....haha

I will look forward to your script...when you post it I will give it a go in the new 32-bit DebianDog you just made (which is still running great and is almost my daily driver now).

fredx181

#332 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham, All,
belham2 wrote:Hi Fred,

Wow, thanks for being 'patient' and explaining that to me. It actually all makes sense to that piece of wood in my head that most people call a 'brain' Laughing Seriously, though, thank you very much. I really love do learning about this stuff, even if I am only like another fan sitting in the football (soccer) stadium and thinking "hey, I can play with those guys on the field!"....haha

I will look forward to your script...when you post it I will give it a go in the new 32-bit DebianDog you just made (which is still running great and is almost my daily driver now).
You're welcome belham!

Here's the script attached.
Open a terminal from where you extracted upgrade-kernel.tar.gz and do:

Code: Select all

./upgrade-kernel
Tested on DD64 and DD32 using porteus-boot and live-boot.
For live-boot I'm not 100% sure if it works in all cases (e.g. finding the path where initrd.img and initrd1.xz are located) (the goal is that is works with both boot methods and also with pure Debian Live)

There's one tricky part:
Ok, the new (updated) initrd and vmlinuz files are created and you have installed new kernel version (linux-image) with saved changes.
But if you boot without changes or persistence parameter (or with different save storage) then what "uname -a" says might be misleading ie booted with new vmlinuz but package linux-image not really upgraded, as you can check in synaptic
Can also be checked from command line (properly upgraded to 3.16.36-1+deb8u2 here):

root@jessie:~# apt-cache policy linux-image-$(uname -r)
linux-image-3.16.0-4-686-pae:
  Installed: 3.16.36-1+deb8u2
  Candidate: 3.16.36-1+deb8u2
  Package pin: 3.16.36-1+deb8u2
  Version table:
 *** 3.16.36-1+deb8u2 1001
        500 http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     3.16.36-1+deb8u1 1001
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main i386 Packages
     3.16.7-ckt25-2 1001
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates/main i386 Packages
root@jessie:~# 
EDIT: Re-uploaded the script with small improvement:
Now it checks if the version installed (as registered by dpkg) is corresponding with the version output of "uname -v", if not it will do the whole process (reinstall and creating initrd, vmlinuz)) even if the "linux-image package version" is the latest.

EDIT2: removed the attachment, made into a package now, install with Synaptic, or from terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install upgrade-kernel
See here for the modifications made, suggestions by 'The Flying Cat'
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 244#930244

Fred
Attachments
Rebooted_after_running_upgrade-kernel.jpg
Kernel upgraded, changes should be saved or make a remaster
(48.9 KiB) Downloaded 1323 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 27 Oct 2016, 14:47, edited 3 times in total.

dancytron

#333 Post by dancytron »

Ran the upgrade script on my Chrome remaster of DD64 and it appeared to work.

Not sure if it is intended (it probably is) but I got this when running the script.

The following extra packages will be installed:
  live-boot-initramfs-tools
Suggested packages:
  httpfs2
Recommended packages:
  live-boot-doc live-tools uuid-runtime
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  live-boot live-boot-initramfs-tools
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 30 not upgraded.
Need to get 81.2 kB of archives.
After this operation, 232 kB of additional disk space will be used.

I've attached the whole output of the script in case it will be of any interest (remove .gz).

edit: btw, is the Quick Remaster script made to work in DD64 too?
Attachments
KernelUpgrade.txt.gz
remove .gz
(6.4 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

fredx181

#334 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:Ran the upgrade script on my Chrome remaster of DD64 and it appeared to work.

Not sure if it is intended (it probably is) but I got this when running the script.

The following extra packages will be installed:
  live-boot-initramfs-tools
Suggested packages:
  httpfs2
Recommended packages:
  live-boot-doc live-tools uuid-runtime
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  live-boot live-boot-initramfs-tools
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 30 not upgraded.
Need to get 81.2 kB of archives.
After this operation, 232 kB of additional disk space will be used.

I've attached the whole output of the script in case it will be of any interest (remove .gz).

edit: btw, is the Quick Remaster script made to work in DD64 too?
Thanks Dan!

Yes, live-boot package +deps is required to create a true 'live' compatible initrd.img.
Looks fine your output.

The Quick Remaster script on itself works on DD64, only the clear-changes-at-reboot part doesn't work since it requires a small modification in linuxrc inside initrd1.xz
So the changes should be cleared manually (e.g. by rebooting without changes= parameter, and from there remove the content of the save storage. (or from some other system)
This one can be installed on DD64, it's cross-platform package:
http://debiandog.github.io/Jessie/i386/ ... .3_all.deb

Fred

rufwoof

#335 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:The Quick Remaster script on itself works on DD64, only the clear-changes-at-reboot part doesn't work since it requires a small modification in linuxrc inside initrd1.xz
So the changes should be cleared manually (e.g. by rebooting without changes= parameter, and from there remove the content of the save storage. (or from some other system)
Hi Fred/all

With reference to https://debian-administration.org/artic ... ith_Debian ... with initrd1.img (boot 3), you can create/use service scripts

Taking one example, /etc/init.d/checkroot-bootclean.sh has header text of

# Provides:          checkroot-bootclean
# Required-Start:    checkroot
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start:     S
# Default-Stop:
# X-Start-Before:    bootmisc
# Short-Description: bootclean after checkroot.
# Description:       Clean temporary filesystems after
#                    the root filesystem has been mounted.
#                    At this point, directories which may be
#                    masked by future mounts may be cleaned.
and as part of that service it invokes /lib/init/bootclean.sh which does some cleaning.

As those scripts could be 'updated' by Debian at any time, best not to change them to add additional code, and instead create an additional service specifically for the required task, that wont be updated/changed by Debian. I've written such a service before, but using template code that already had the Required-Start ... etc data/values provided. In my case it was for during shutdown and that service showed up in the messages alongside other services messages when the system was being shut down. So in concept its relatively easy to add extra functionality into startup and/or shutdown, the problem for me however is that I find it to be very cryptic IMO i.e. knowing where it should be 'dropped in' (started by, depends on ...etc). Looking at that example, perhaps for code to check for a clear-changes-at-reboot flag file and remove the relevant files if that file exists might be to have a 'Required Start' of "checkroot-bootclean" i.e. script/code that checks for the flag files and delete files if present 'slotted in' after that checkroot-bootclean service ??? Or maybe dependent upon /etc/initr.d/live-tools ... or bootmisc ???

The SystemD concept looks pretty simple, but as ever, when you don't know the technicalities its difficult, but once you do understand the technicalities I suspect you appreciate the simplicity. I'm still very much in the 'difficult' (lack of understanding) camp.

Once you do have a service you can activate or deactivate it using the update-rc.d command as per the examples in that link I posted above.

In short, I suspect its possible to add functionality to boot 3 style similar to the initrd.gz porteus style boot clearing of the save folder/space, but without having to change the initrd.img content by instead using a additional service script added to the boot 3 style system.

rufwoof

#336 Post by rufwoof »

Another bookmark worthy of note in the Debian Live System Manual : Boot time hooks http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/li ... n.html#520 (there's also some detail about using persistence in that manual http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/li ... n.html#556)

For reference a link from that http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.or ... ramfs-exam indicates if you want to inspect the content of initrd.img you should use something like :

$ zcat /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-686-pae | cpio -i

i.e. initrd.img (boot 3) could be changed to do similar clearing of save space if the flag file exists, but then becomes non-Debian (that could be replaced by Debian updates unless pinned). A bit messy that way though IMO.

trister

DebianDog64 squashfs files

#337 Post by trister »

Here are some squashfs files I've made.
I hope
1. they are useful to some of you
2. This is the correct thread to post DebianDog64 compatible stuff :)

https://1fichier.com/?l5mxpy7edy LibreOffice_5.2.2_Linux_x86-64_deb_langpack_el_.sfs.squashfs (Libre Office with language pack -UI is in english)
https://1fichier.com/?f9m5ny2ekw NewFlashPlayer23amd64_(adds_file_in_lib_and_lib64).sfs.squashfs (Flash support for palemoon -put on live folder or activate before running palemoon) This is an older version. I now use "adobe-flashplugin_20161108symlinks03b.squashfs"
https://1fichier.com/?z9eo4cv49y etoys4.0.2340.squashfs (child game)
veracrypt_1.19_amd64.tar.gz.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?t25grjmx5j
cups.squashfs_with_script_v003.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?d5w5mnhptt CUPS with service startup and Menu entry
teamviewer_12.0.69753_i386.tar.xz.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?ny7qnivsn7 (requires i386_multiarch_v002.squashfs)
i386_multiarch_v002.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?6t7cfimeme

Greek Language files:
https://1fichier.com/?8e7vq2tbgh greek_keyboard_.sfs.squashfs (Greek language -it is a preset etc/default/keyboard file)
https://1fichier.com/?u0nky57t3q gxkb_add_gr4_debdog64.sfs.squashfs down-right Icon windows-like to switch keyboard (preset to Greek language - if you want other language(s) edit /root/.config/gxkb/gxkb.cfg and etc/default/keyboard files)
https://1fichier.com/?3cr8lvavfg LibreOffice_5.2.2Linux_x86-64_deb_elUI_v002.squashfs (Libre Office with Greek UI activated)

Developer stuff
https://1fichier.com/?chuccr0eti jdk-8u111-linux-x64_(root_startup).sfs.squashfs
https://1fichier.com/?s0djlm7jgl netbeans-8.2-php-linux-x64.sfs.squashfs
https://1fichier.com/?gy0zr32kca sublime-text_build-3126_amd64.deb.sfs.squashfs (sublime code editor)
https://1fichier.com/?0et4azkj9k xampp-linux-x64-7.0.9-1-installed_no_dev_no_symlinks_.sfs.squashfs
https://1fichier.com/?49qh19zcrh xampp_x02_drupal_7_8_addon_clean_install_v03_.sfs.squashfs (a layer to be activated AFTER xampp) it has a default drupal7 and 8 installation (username admin , pass admin2)
https://1fichier.com/?ts38qmeet5 putty_dd64_apt2sfs.squashfs ftp/ssh client

I prefer using squashfs -on-demand- instead of installing packages so I'll post some more packages that are made with apt2sfs for you to try (if for some reason you don't want to create them yourselves)
atom-amd64_1.1.12.deb.sfs.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?w5ofrtf5vf (atom code editor)
childsplay_DebDog64_apt2sfs.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?odtcughj0o
firefox-esr-l10n-el45.4.0_apt2sfs.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?u4lrxpdvkx

(make changes.dat lighter)
Also, this might help:
It must be placed inside "live" folder to work (palemoon,firefox,slimjet and qupzilla sets default download paths to sda1/downloads_linux and sends some of the cache there - to save space on the changes.dat file ) Note: this must be used BEFORE you start using the mentioned browsers -so all the config files are clean. This script also sets ROXPinboard as default and adds a link in the desktop that points to the download folder. I made this/these script(s) for a friend who just wants to surf and use office and have no linux experience. This way most of the caching is done in C: and he can see downloads from windows. A second advantage I can save about 200MB+ per browser from the changes.dat file.
set_downloads_to_sda1.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?r24pjjqns5
z0_set_downloads_to_sda1_v2b.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?ntt7jymgsz (newest version -presets for palemoon,qupzilla,slimjet, iridium ,opera ,vivaldi ,iron)
(/make changes.dat lighter)

(Browsers browsers....)
These browsers REQUIRE some libraries from "qupzilla_slimjet161018_DebDog64_apt2sfs.squashfs" file .Also, they can be used with "z0_set_downloads_to_sda1_v2b.squashfs"
to use . These squasfs are modified so they are run as user "puppy".
I have some issues in different PCs but when they work they work ok...
qupzilla_slimjet161018_DebDog64_apt2sfs.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?k4o0pm6tfc (2 more browsers) Tested and working ok
iridium-browser_46.0.2490_v02.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?gpnrlx65hk Seems very stable
opera-stable_41.0.2353.56_amd64_v02.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?s92te5fz98 Seems very stable
chromium-53.0.2785.143.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?6hdot4qbw9
adobe-flashplugin_20161108symlinks03b.squashfs (if you want flash enable for those) https://1fichier.com/?ngcm7n1gko

Also, some times I had an error message that says "cannot cd to /home/puppy....." but I can't replicate when I want and I don't know how to fix it
I have created a BIG squashfs with all the above browsers. I'll upload it at some point.
(/Browsers browsers....)

(squashfs related)
https://1fichier.com/?10so834x3c UExtract-3.10.pet.sfs
https://1fichier.com/?kau9pg9m9z dir2sfs-dir2squashfs_dir2iso_etc_v03.squashfs v3 of dir2sfs-unrpm-undeb-rpm2targz-2usr_local_bin.sfs.squashfs (I use dir2sfs for quick sfs creation)

If you don't like something in my files you can make changes using this procedure (must have activated "dir2sfs-...squashfs" and "UExtract-3.10.pet.sfs"):
1.copy the XXXXX.squashfs file to a folder, eg /tmp
2.type uextract XXXXX.squashfs
3.in the XXXXX.squashfs_extracted folder you can make whatever changes you want
4.type dir2sfs XXXXX.squashfs_extracted or dir2squashfs_extracted to recreate the sfs/squashfs file
(/squashfs related)

Do not work:
vivaldi-stable_1.2.490.39-1_amd64_pup02(conflict_with_opera).squashfs https://1fichier.com/?oqnni2akr8 Vivaldi sometimes crashes if I open many tabs )correction vivaldi have serious issues)
iron64.deb_161125userpuppy_v2.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?t1wnbb8d4n I have some problems with Iron. Try to run it using iron_puppy_pepper.sh from command lines (iron has many problems). Iron was my favorite browser in windows so I am really interested in usinmg it in DD64.

(edit) -161130 added chromium
-161126 added more browsers and re-arranged some links
-161128 added veracrypt , CUPS , teamviewer12
(/edit)
Last edited by trister on Fri 16 Dec 2016, 19:40, edited 9 times in total.

Rocket

Drive Icons

#338 Post by Rocket »

Could anyone advise on how to integrate the rox pinboard with pup-volume-monitor to show drive icons?

Thanks

fredx181

#339 Post by fredx181 »

trister wrote:Here are some squashfs files I've made.
Thanks trister! sure some of these are useful for someone, at the moment I'm very much focused on other things, so later I will try some of your squashfs's.

Fred

fredx181

#340 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Rocket,
Could anyone advise on how to integrate the rox pinboard with pup-volume-monitor to show drive icons?
1) You need to install desktop-drive-icons with synaptic or from terminal with apt-get:

apt-get update # might be required to update the package lists
apt-get install desktop-drive-icons
2) Open ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh with leafpad or geany
uncomment the line: #desktop_drive_icons & (around line 30) so becomes this:

desktop_drive_icons &
Exit X and type startx from console to go back in X again
If you have a cdrom icon, probably it's bigger than the others, don't know yet how to fix that.
Right click on one of the drive icons to make settings, e.g. change filemanager. x y geometry.

Fred