MintPup (Trusty LTS)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mcewanw

#321 Post by mcewanw »

Keef wrote:Do you tend towards the Fyfe Robertson style, or perhaps a bit of Rab C Nesbitt?.
I'm not from Glasgow side of the country so don't have that kind of accent though not like Mr Robertson either. From near Perh/Kinross, so not too tricky for most to decode... Speed of speaking depends how much Irn Bru I've been drinking though.
github mcewanw

Pelo

eh don't worry about the accent

#322 Post by Pelo »

eh don't worry about the accent. When i watch a video English spoken, i don't understand nothing. But image is enough to guess.
Written or spoken, that makes an huge difference.
Our teachers teach with their French accent..
Understand that a linux script is a n+3 language for us.
N1 Script N1 script in chinese
N2 English N2 Usual chinese
N3 French N3 English
... N4 what do they mean....
Video makes things easier, no doubt.

saintless

#323 Post by saintless »

Before someone gets wrong impression:

This is community thread/project and anyone can give feedback, fixes, opinion etc. But this doesn't mean I will try to give answers or fixes to all users questions and problems. I will not update the iso version and I will maintain the existing iso the way it works best for me. Hopefully (but not necessarily) for some others too. For information and fixes read the bugs and fixes link in the first post. The last iso is still useful and the little fixing it needs is already done.

Anyone who wants to maintain, develop or continue in different direction any of the Dog based projects started by me is always very welcome. I will be happy to take part only as contributor and maybe some project scripts/packages/fixes maintainer.

Toni

fredx181

Re: I will try ISObooter

#324 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:Very nice. MintPup boots easily from ISObooter.
I would like to get Puppy and Mintpup (or other 'Dog' OS) available on a same pendrive. I will try ISObooter
My first idea was grub4dos.. feed back about success soon.
About the policy of Linux OS, the development can be finished and the OS well alive, downloaded by thousands of people . Who will just need a maintenance team to help them.. 'Service après vente' in French. Not to change it, but to explain how to use it.
I've been working earlier on modifying isobooter for better 'Dog' support, didn't finish it back then, but just did now.
Try if you want and tell me if it works for you.
Isobooter-mod: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 382#959382

Fred

Pelo

I am waiting fro deliver of new pendrives

#325 Post by Pelo »

I am waiting for deliver of new pendrives. Last one (8GB) was used for XenialDog..
feed back soon.

Pelo

Puppy Stretch and Mintpup

#326 Post by Pelo »

With ISObooter no need to format your pendrive, so i kept my data alive.
Dual boot Puppy Stretch and Mintpup Click the blue and jump
I just need to add changes to menu.lst.. that should be done soon, once i find the synthaxe (french word).
timeout 10
default 0

title MintPup-jwm-icewm-hybrid-26.07.2015
partnew (hd0,3) 0x00 (hd0,0)/MintPup-jwm-icewm-hybrid-26.07.2015.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 (hd0,0)/MintPup-jwm-icewm-hybrid-26.07.2015.iso (0xff) changes=/mnt/sdb4/mint.dat/changes
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

title stretch-7.0.0a1
partnew (hd0,3) 0x00 (hd0,0)/stretch-7.0.0a1.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 (hd0,0)/stretch-7.0.0a1.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=cd psavemark=1 pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz

title More ISOs (see the instructions)
configfile (hd0,x)/menu.lst
commandline

Pelo

read the topic for solution (save the session)

#327 Post by Pelo »

Saving my session : tries going on, hazardously a little bit. Perhaps i decide to read the topic for solution.

fredx181

#328 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo, Try isobooter-mod
And choose no for "to boot from it's splash screen"
Then you can edit menu.lst to add e.g. changes=/.... to the kernel line
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 382#959382

EDIT:
Also for Mintpup boot method info (specially see changes/persistent options) look here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/MintPup-Tr ... ot-methods

Fred

Pelo

Help from passengers is one reason for forum

#329 Post by Pelo »

Fredx181, thanks for information. I will use your information.
About maintenance, when development is finished, passengers should help together, when successful OS. Forum is a place to discuss and help each other.
Some foreign Puppy Linux forum have an expert always here for help and translation, as Spanish , hungarian and russian. But it's a chance, not a rule. They are more distributors than builders. Ambassadors , yes ambassadors is the word.
Euh, our french expert will not help with Mintpup... Unless he tries it ?

My purpose was to test ISObooter. I am satisfied. Why Mintpup ? To check if Mint Packages are valuable, of some interest.

XenialDog remains however my choice, because some apps are only available in Xenial, not in Debian packages.
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Fredx181, i failed.. Don't Mind

#330 Post by Pelo »

Fredx181, i failed.. Don't Mind. I go on holidays until Monday.

labbe5

Mintpup & security upgrades

#331 Post by labbe5 »

I use Mintpup as one of my two main distros (the other one being WattOS on my laptop) on a desktop without networking, and on a laptop, via a USB flash drive.

What i like about Mintpup, apart from its features and usability, is :
at this time, only security upgrades occur, unlike Xenialdog (16.04).

So once you have made a remaster, only a few security upgrades occur from time to time.

Since i use Firefox as a SFS module, i keep changing it each time there is a new version available, with plugins i like, sync made available.

When there is a new Firefox version available, i make sure to have a fresh install, make an update and upgrade, optionally do auto-remove some packages if needed.

Firefox is not part of the fresh install, but i install the new Firefox version in terminal, the old Firefox SFS module being deleted to be replaced by the new one.

Then i do a RemasterCow for Firefox, with security upgrade included.

This way, having a fresh install, i activate Firefox SFS module, being sure security upgrade is activated as well.

It is lean and clean.

My system never breaks, and it evolves security-wise, principally by way of upgrading Firefox and some other security-related packages.

Mintpup is so versatile, it is a pleasure to use.

Pelo

Firefox 54 downloaded with synaptic, istanbul too

#332 Post by Pelo »

MintPup installed on pendrive with Isobooter , added Puppy stretch (tuxxx version) and Dog Stretch
Firefox 54 downloaded with synaptic, istanbul too
Isobooter script

MintPup-jwm-icewm-hybrid-07.05.2016.iso My iso is dated 2015. Dowloading the new version.. for later installation.

darry19662018

#333 Post by darry19662018 »

Started using this as a daily runner it will run a reasonably current Browser and it is very quick.
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

gabtech

Internet Dialer

#334 Post by gabtech »

I just bought a 3g modem and can not find a dialer for the modem. Any suggestions?