Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

#3121 Post by stemsee »

I knew that my lame attempt would provoke you into providing the most formidable solution!!! :lol:

Win win!

I am going to test now. But before I do it appears that updating the kernel means changing only vmlinux and kernel-modules.sfs. So I will test with my 3.16-rc1.

Also initrd.gz can load 01-filesystem.squashfs without name change, just change puppy.sfs to 01-filesystem.squashfs in initrd.gz

fredx181

#3122 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:Hi, Fred.
Test on the second computer with mk-save problem shows encrypted save file made with new mk-save scripts works fine.
I think the problem on this computer (without separate LUKS partition) was from creating more than one save file with mk-save.gtkdlg in one session. The first one is dev/mapper/crypt and formating works. The second one fails because /dev/mapper/crypt is already created and LuksClose is not executed for crypt before creating second save.

Toni
Yes, I had the feeling already that it was because of existing /dev/mapper/crypt.
Nice that it works now!

Fred

stemsee

#3123 Post by stemsee »

There is something wrong with that initrd.gz ... kernel panic no matter what combination I make. Are you sure you uploaded the correct one? I even copied the init to my normal initrd and it booted 01-filesystem.squashfs ... maybe the repack? Did you test this actual combo on your laptop?

mcewanw

re-uploaded pavrecord and updated version number to 0.9.6

#3124 Post by mcewanw »

Toni and Fred,

Sorry, I couldn't resist adding something extra to pAVrecord, so have re-uploaded the latest version, which is now version 0.9.6. I'll leave that for user testing now. Check here for details:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 706#785706

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3125 Post by saintless »

stemsee wrote:There is something wrong with that initrd.gz ... kernel panic no matter what combination I make. Are you sure you uploaded the correct one? I even copied the init to my normal initrd and it booted 01-filesystem.squashfs ... maybe the repack? Did you test this actual combo on your laptop?
Yes, I did and tested again now. See the picture:

Replacing init is not enough. You need also to change distrospecs.
If you are using different kernel make sure it supports xz decompression. initrd.gz is xz compressed now.
One more thing to try: change pfix=fsck to pfix=nocopy
Copy2Ram takes much time on my machine and maybe this creates problem on some hardware. I think puppy is setup by default copy2ram if more than 256Mb Ram is available.

You can try also the nopae module. It works on one more desktop PC for me. initrd.gz is the same but packed separately (this why the md5sum is different).
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... pae.tar.gz
Try initrd.gz from nopae archive to test but both work for me.

saintless

Re: re-uploaded pavrecord and updated version number to 0.9.6

#3126 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:Toni and Fred,

Sorry, I couldn't resist adding something extra to pAVrecord, so have re-uploaded the latest version, which is now version 0.9.6. I'll leave that for user testing now. Check here for details:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 706#785706

Cheers, William
Thank you, William.
There is enough time for testing and new uploaded versions ;)
I do not plan to update new iso soon.

stemsee

#3127 Post by stemsee »

I changed distro specs, of course, and even updated all files in the debiandogsave.... I will try again when I get home.

But still no need to have both 01-filesystem.squashfs.sfs and 01-filesystem.squashfs in live when one version (the later) is good for all boot methods. Unless there is some other reason for it?

I think it boots more quickly too!

saintless

#3128 Post by saintless »

I don't have the main module two times in /live. 01-filesystem.squashfs on the picture is symlink. I agree it is better to use the same name (01-filesystem.squashfs) but I see no point rebuilding initrd.gz file for nothing. It is only testing module and nothing more yet.
We can load 2 more sfs modules and manually setting save file and save folder. Live-boot and porteus-boot have this options and much more already and they work with Debian kernel.
This testing archive is mostly for you and me, Stemsee. Shape it as you like and works best for you.
It will not be official DebianDog boot method till we manage to get all puppy save scripts work proper (especially save on CD/DVD). I don't know how much time I will have in the future to work on this alternative Puppy boot option but the goal for me is to include Puppy save methods in DebianDog as option. I see no point to use Puppy kernel if it does not give all puppy save options.
The important thing for now is confirmation this initrd.gz file works for you as it works for me. If it doesn't - we have nothing yet.

saintless

#3129 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

I'm adding udftools in Jwm version:

Code: Select all

apt-get install udftools
After loading:

modprobe -v udf
modprobe -v pktcdvd
uncommenting one line in /etc/default/udftools
and

/etc/init.d/udftools restart
packets writing on CD/DVD works as it is described here:
http://users.utu.fi/sjsepp/udf_packet_w ... iting.html
It is good option to have working by default.

Toni

fredx181

#3130 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
I'm adding udftools in Jwm version:
Code:
apt-get install udftools
I'll add in openbox version too.

Here's a zenity portable, only 215Kb (older version 2.30, installing latest version will take 122Mb of space!)

I think it's good to include because many scripts you can find on the net use zenity and won't work properly with yad.

Attached zenity-portable.tar.gz

Fred
Attachments
zenity-portable.tar.gz
zenity 2.30 portable
(110.87 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

stemsee

#3131 Post by stemsee »

After a lot of possibilities have been illiminated I have to do some basic checks. the initrd you sent is 938kb, my usual initrd is 1252kb.

Secondly could you download the package and use it to boot?

I reformatted to ext3, aswell. Very strange!

saintless

#3132 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Attached zenity-portable.tar.gz
Thanks, Fred.
I will add it in /opt/bin

saintless

#3133 Post by saintless »

stemsee wrote:After a lot of possibilities have been illiminated I have to do some basic checks. the initrd you sent is 938kb, my usual initrd is 1252kb.
I wrote it is better compressed for smaller size. I use xz compression command as for DebianDog initrd.img, initrd1.img and initrd1.xz
Both kernel-modules.sfs are also better compressed and the size is smaller.
Both initrd.gz files are compressed from separate folders with the same xz command. This why md5sum is different but the only files changed inside are init and DISTRO_SPECS. Nothing else changed.
Secondly could you download the package and use it to boot?
Yes, I download, extract and boot without problem both archives. Non-pae on two computers + laptop. Pae on Laptop only. Replacing initrd.gz also works. Both initrd.gz files boot pae and non-pae kernel-modules.sfs without problems for me.
md5sum:

132f6549561d733338bec6778664d315  testing-3.15.0-nopae.tar.gz
ef65855f9d8a2498ab09d4535f04d247  initrd.gz

459d5ac0854456ef46350d3d9321250d  testing-3.15.0-pae.tar.gz
e9c6251698257fd84ae83bf7f6e339da  initrd.gz
I reformatted to ext3, aswell. Very strange!
Just do not use debdogsave folder till you find the problem. sda1,ext3 is only in debdogsave folder. Without it you should be able to boot on any partition and any file system.

mcewanw

xhippo system for Puppy

#3134 Post by mcewanw »

Hi all,

As a contribution back from DebianDog developments, I've now uploaded a dotpet of the xhippo system for use in most any Puppy. The post (link below) includes a, perhaps clearer, brief description of its functionality and usage:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86753

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#3135 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All, Toni,

For those who are interested in testing Jessie version of DebianDog, here are both Jwm and openbox versions upgraded.
Kernel version is 3.14 (no-pae).

DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm-beta.iso:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing

DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-beta.iso:

The repository (in /etc/apt/sources.list) is from snapshot.debian which makes it sort of a "static" release (no updates, unless you change the date to recent) see more info here (it's about Sid but goes for jessie also):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 927#781927
Of course this can be changed to default jessie repo.

As Jessie becomes the new Debian stable (now it's "testing") in the near future i wanted to see how it works.
It turned out pretty well I think, except the iso size is a lot bigger, that's because:
- Upgrading added more packages to the system (e.g. gtk3)
- the initrd files are larger (specially initrd.img and initrd1.img)
Maybe Mr "Master Cleaner" Toni :) can bring the size a little down in the future.
Encrypted savefile is only working when using porteus-boot method.

Toni, a strange thing happened with upgrading JWM version:
More than 10 .desktop files from /usr/share/applications were disappeared, added them manually again, do you have explanation for that?
Didn't upgrade xfe (it gave error by dpkg) and maybe the upgrade of Dillo to v 3.04 is not an improvement.

Fred

saintless

#3136 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm-beta.iso:

DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-beta.iso:
Thank you! I'm a little busy these days but I will test them soon as I can.
Unfortunately we have around 150Mb free space for DebianDog files on the site. I can't upload them there.
Toni, a strange thing happened with upgrading JWM version:
More than 10 .desktop files from /usr/share/applications were disappeared, added them manually again, do you have explanation for that?
Yes, this is because mk-jwm.menu adds and deletes files from /usr/share/applications. If menu is added it adds desktop file. If menu file is missing it removes the desktop file. It has menu list in /etc which is updated with every install/uninstall command. Distro upgrading does many update-menus and something goes wrong for mk-jwm.menu. I think it is because of the way it creates the desktop name and split the content from menu file with several programs to separate desktop files. Terry did great job to make this work and we need it to work this way. Once we have all correct desktop files mk-jwm.menu works fine for installing/uninstalling applications.
Didn't upgrade xfe (it gave error by dpkg) and maybe the upgrade of Dillo to v 3.04 is not an improvement.
Better not. XFE is not from debian repository and I think it is newer version than the one in SID.
Dillo 3.0.3 is compiled to open https and other useful options that Dillo from Debian repository does not have.

Toni

saintless

#3137 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Quick test confirms what I expected. I can boot 3.14 kernel only on my laptop. No more old hardware support with kernel above 3.12. Xorg fails on my old machines:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... Xorg.0.log
Even if I use 3.12 module from the site and do kernel upgrade the upgraded version also fails the same way on old machine.
BTW DebainDog SID has kernel 3.13.1 which boots fine on my hardware but upgrade creates the same problem. Some important xorg driver for old hardware must be changed or missing in upgraded kernels.

Toni

stemsee

#3138 Post by stemsee »

@Saintless what is the cpu type of your old hardware?

saintless

#3139 Post by saintless »

Hi, Stemsee.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 648.002
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
bogomips        : 1296.00
clflush size    : 32
power management:
#
The second one is also Coppermine but 600Mhz.
I have few Pentium 2, Pentium 1, I486, I386 but I use them only to check if some OS boots on them. The PC with Coppermine is the one that builds DebianDog.

saintless

#3140 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Possible change in /opt/lib in Jwm and /usr/local/lib in Openbox version:
I think we can safely replace libssl.so.0.9.8 and libcrypto.so.0.9.8 with symlinks pointing to /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 and /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0
Transmission works with this configuration and we remove non-wheezy libs saving some space at the same time.
Can you test if Transmission works for you the same way when you have time?

Toni