Just-Lighthouse64-603/604

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gcmartin

#301 Post by gcmartin »

Downloaded the latest. Booted to a swift system. But, many past problems I had continue. The fonts-video driver problem continues to be fixed only via an exit of desktop to run xorgwizard-puppy 2 times; 1st to select VESA for 1920x1200, again to select Probe for 1920x1200, to get a readable desktop.

Touch tracking continues to be very "true" on screen. But, in this version, I have noticed that mouse #1 does NOT bring up a Menu as was traditional in Mariner; thus touch taps anywhere on an open desktop area does not work either since finger taps are treated by the system as mouse #1 behavior.

And, for some other reason, the LAN seems to be renewing its IP from the DHCP host on a regular basis.

AT this point, I have only scratched the surface at all this distro offers.
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.

Dry Falls

#302 Post by Dry Falls »

I tried Refresh and I tried sending this link
Ok. Now I see the problem. That link goes to the ExtraSfs directory, which is the old stuff. For quite a while, the 603 stuff has been in the JL64-603 directory

df

edoc

#303 Post by edoc »

Cool!

Do I need CUPS and System config printer or just the latter?

What's the difference between the two versions of Palemoon?

I'm guessing the LibreOffice 4.0.3... is 4.0.3.3 (I already have that)?

I probably need Firefox for a few challenging sites, also (sadly) Flash ... dreaming of the day we are Adobe-free.

I guess I need Hal because Hulu & others have messed things up again.

Once clarified I'll run some tests then return for any extra needs that pop up, e.g. kde, quemu, or xfe-related.

WDYT?

Thanks for everything!

BTW: Slogging through the Linux course with our son, then back to finish some Web-design courses to get the basics of python, javascript, etc, I might even comprehend some of it well enough to be useful - other than by breaking things!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Dry Falls

#304 Post by Dry Falls »

gcmartin wrote:But, in this version, I have noticed that mouse #1 does NOT bring up a Menu as was traditional in Mariner; thus touch taps anywhere on an open desktop area does not work either since finger taps are treated by the system as mouse #1 behavior.

And, for some other reason, the LAN seems to be renewing its IP from the DHCP host on a regular basis.
I rebuilt the menu and didn't think it might have consequences for the touch screen (I don't have a touch screen). Anyway, it's right-click for menu like other pups, if that makes a difference. You may have to run the touch screen wizard on this one. I've sincerely no experience in that department, nor with LAN other than with 32 bit puppies and windows xp. Hopefully, you're not running with the 2_sysdnet addon or kde. Kde for 604 is ready but not yet uploaded. Also a reminder, the old devx should probably not be used.

The first two menu items in grub.cfg are for a usb installation (pmedia=usbflash noautosave and xorgwizard,ram). Isolinux.cfg is so far unchanged. I think most will need to run xorgwizard-puppy to get the appropriate drivers (kernel mode-setting) The intel drivers just plain suck. It's the older xorg, so will only work (correctly) ootb on older or cheaper boxes. I'm currently working on a version with the updated (4.1.3) Xorg server. It's tricky.

I've also discovered that this is the last upgrade possible for Lighthouse (slackware 14.1). Almost nothingf works with the "current" glib/gcc, so any further development will probably be starting from scratch with woof-ce and importing some of Tazoc's scripts. I'd like to have a bare-bones lighthouse (as minimal as I can get) and proceed from there, but I'm not up to the task just yet. Let's try and get this one up and running first.

df

Dry Falls

#305 Post by Dry Falls »

edoc wrote:... - other than by breaking things
That's the only way I proceed!!!

The old java script and libre office should work, but both have been upgraded quite a bit from what I/Tazoc had to offer. Abiword is now 3.0 with extra plugins. Requires QT (like Qupzilla) which is on the 5_JL64 addon and devx. Otherwise, I'd try to find a Libreoffice pet somewhere if you need an upgraded version. System-config-printer is on xfce-addon. Otherwise, use cups. Qupzilla and palemoon are good substitutes for firefox. Palemoon is a bit stripped down but does everything I've asked of it without any tinkering, and it's nearly as fast as qupzilla. Lately I'm only using seamonkey for e-mail, but it's been a bit faster and stable as well with this build.

Thanks to you, Edoc.

df

gcmartin

#306 Post by gcmartin »

Understood! I follow what you have done and applaud your work.

On touch, its important to think of what one finger is to the screen: It is the mouse and its taps activate things.

@TaZoC, who incidentally I don't think he had a touch screen. But, he somehow had a way of envisioning things that I have found remarkable for a systems developer. He had a gift of perceiving both the kind of things useful to users, and the manners in which they manifest within the desktop system.

To this day, no other PUP distro developer has taken into account what @TaZoC presented to all who ran LH64. NOT only was he 2 years before any other PUP addressed touch, but, he is now 4 years ahead of all as his distro takes advantage of using the finger as it should be used on a touch screen; as a mouse button 1 tap and touch. And certainly, he took advantage to allow tapping on a blank area of the screen to give users the Menu should they do so.

In summary, the tap to do something meaningful is what is (or was) accomplished by what was found in his LH64s. And, as you have already shown us, there is much other mastery done in this distro.

Thanks @Dry Falls. Its not the first time I have done so as you have worked feverishly on this. I continue to enjoy your work.

Looking forward. And, the current distro is swift. Thx.

David Andrew

#307 Post by David Andrew »

I've downloaded the latest Mariner. So far so good. Some more feedback:

* Updating Gslapt, then marking all upgrades and installing them seems to break Gimp, and the desktop seems to become a bit glitchy as well after it, so I've avoided updating everything for now.

* In the original LH64, I used src2pkg a lot to create packages with great degree of success. On JL64, it seems to hang during the setup proceed. Here's the output:

Code: Select all

<root> ~
bash-4.2# src2pkg --setup
  Notice - Creating src2pkg-helpers:
  src2pkg uses a shared library and a few programs
  when creating packages. For best compatibility,
  these binaries will be compiled on your system.
  They are then installed in a private directory.
  When done, src2pkg is ready for use.

TEMP_DIR=/usr/src/src2pkg/builds/src2pkg-helpers
  Starting build in 5 seconds
Unpacking sources - OK
Creating libsentry - OK
Creating tar-1.13 - Failed! Error is non-fatal. Continuing...
Creating coreutils - 
It just seems to hang at "Creating coreutils". I've let it run for 4 - 5 hours, with no success. I definitely don't remember the setup process taking just more than a few minutes on LH64 or Porteus.

* I was playing around with a distro called Slackel, and noticed it had a nice frontend called Sourcery, which is a more user friendly way of compiling and installing slackbuilds. I tried installing it on JL64 604 Mariner. It required slapt-src, a more recent version of VTE that I installed manually, and a dependency called pysimpleconfig - all packages obtained from pkgs.org. It seems to run and work just fine, save for one issue. I've successfully installed a few small apps with it. A couple of screenshots of it in action:

Above-mentioned issue with Sourcery on JL64 is that it doesn't resolve missing dependencies automatically, despite it being set to. If something is missing, you need to view the error log, scroll down and track down the missing dependency manually. Maybe this would be a nice addition to future JL64 releases if the auto dependency issue can get ironed out.

* Lastly, with some effort, I successfully managed to install the latest Calligra (2.9) with Krita and Karbon working. The other apps still need dependencies, but I didn't bother with them as I don't use anything outside Calligra's graphics apps. I haven't tested Krita or Karbon extensively yet, mind.
Last edited by David Andrew on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

David Andrew

#308 Post by David Andrew »

Correction, Sourcery does seem to auto detect dependencies - just not all of them though, and they don't install.

edoc

#309 Post by edoc »

I need the drivers for a Brother MFC-J450DW

I tried printer setup but it can't find the drivers.

I downloaded and uncompressed this installer from the Brother Support site

http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... _us&os=128
linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1
When I run Bash it asks for the model number then prompts that it will install four .deb files - I'm guessing these are not what I need.

I have downloaded the four MFC-J450DW files here:
http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linu ... MFC-J450DW

They are all labeled RPM or DEB.

How best to proceed, please?

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Dry Falls

#310 Post by Dry Falls »

David Andrew wrote:* Updating Gslapt, then marking all upgrades and installing them seems to break Gimp, and the desktop seems to become a bit glitchy as well after it, so I've avoided updating everything for now.
The source-repos in JL64-604 gslapt point to slackware 14.1 and current. So upgrade-all should break more than just gimp. You'd need to remove "current" in g-slapt preferences first (different glibc &gcc).

Not familiar with src2pkg, but even PPM and g-slapt miss dependencies on occasion. Will check it out.

@edoc, use the deb and just click on it to install. RPM should install, but may not be as trouble free. Either installs the drivers to the opt directory, which system-config-printer will find. I notice a cupswrapper for the brother driver. That may be necessary to use cups. Good luck.

df

Dry Falls

#311 Post by Dry Falls »

David Andrew wrote:It just seems to hang at "Creating coreutils". I've let it run for 4 - 5 hours, with no success.
Apparently, src2pkg expects tar v1.13 but JL64-604 has v1.26. This could present a problem. Also, libsentry might need to be installed prior to running 'src2pkg --setup'. Am I correct to understand this is a Cisco Systems proprietary daemon? JL64-604 has makepkg which should do for compiling txz packages from source.

Dry Falls

oops

#312 Post by Dry Falls »

1st oops. pet removes left-over key binding, freeing the up key (scroll up) back to the default "up":
Attachments
JL64-604fix.pet
(5.21 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

Dry Falls

delta

#313 Post by Dry Falls »

Just-Lighthouse64-604.3.iso___Just-Lighthouse64-604.4.iso.delta
includes previous pet; fixes some instabilities. 11M.

lxappearance (menu #9 in 'Setup') still breaks jwm. Not sure why. Also, forget f2fs. Can create the fs but can't read it. Also not sure why.

David Andrew

#314 Post by David Andrew »

Thanks Dryfalls. Will try everything suggested out and report back.

Dry Falls

#315 Post by Dry Falls »

k4.0.1.tar.gz (for testing)

notecase-1.9.8-x86_64.pet (fixed)

kde uploaded: (see top 'update' link on OP of this thread)

and for dark themes:
Attachments
gtk-dark_rox.pet
ROX font-color for dark backdrop/themes
(1.43 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

gcmartin

#316 Post by gcmartin »

TEsted the current JLH-6043 ISO booted DVD pristine taking option 5 at bootmenu. I test the hybrid 661MB version; not the non-EFI version.

Customary issue with desktop fonts requiring me to exit, xorgwizard-puppy attempt at VESA, then to reissue it to Probe which then gets me to desktop with readable fonts.

System is touch tracking again. :D Only current issue that remains is SAMBA staying "ON" with this pristine DVD boot. The SSM utility tries to start it, but, it will not remain active after start.

Anyone else having this issue with LAN sharing? Any advice?

Dry Falls

#317 Post by Dry Falls »

Only current issue that remains is SAMBA staying "ON" with this pristine DVD boot. The SSM utility tries to start it, but, it will not remain active after start.
go to /etc/init.d right-click on samba -> properties and check exec boxes. This enables it at startup. save session. Elsewise, if you have a pupsave, you can do this with bootmanager.

good to hear touch is working.

df

ps, you can skip vesa and go direct to probe.

gcmartin

#318 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks. I am having a problem with 6043 where by opening a terminal, if I hit the up-arror, I get an Openbox error.
Attachments
Terminal arror causes this message.png
This message pops in either terminal used, when the up-arror is used to get to prior command(s)
(211.41 KiB) Downloaded 678 times

Dry Falls

#319 Post by Dry Falls »

On previous page in this thread (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 272#868272) is a pet which fixes this problem (key binding error). This applies only to JL64-604-3. Fixed in JL64-604-4.

df

Dry Falls

Just-Lighthouse64-604.5

#320 Post by Dry Falls »

Just-Lighthouse64-604.5.iso.md5sum.txt
Just-Lighthouse64-604.5.iso
or 'Update' on desktop or OP this thread.

Dual hybrid Iso contains
*seamonkey-2.38
*expanded Devx.
*Rebuilt jwm (v2.20)