aspire one puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tochtli

LOW-RES PUPPY_4.3.1 in AAO 150

#301 Post by Tochtli »

acerpup

Re: aspire one puppy

#302 Post by acerpup »

Lets get this man some help on this project, most of the netbook distros are crap and I want this to get more popular/help!
iscraigh wrote:Here is a link to a remaster of puppy for the Aspire One. I have integrated most of the fixes and added

Petch
lucview
and a few others.

http://puppylinux.ca/members/aspirepup/

ftp link in this thread graciously provided by Eric (Canari)

wireless works
wireless lights work
mic works
camera works

Craig[/url]

gerry

#303 Post by gerry »

I've skimmed through this topic, so may have missed it, but has anyone tried dpup on an AA1?
I'm using beta4 installed on a usb stick by unetbootin. So far I've found that it always boots up with the numlock on, and I can't get a wireless connection- but this may be just me. It finds mine and the two neighbours) networks, and seems to set up ok, but then doesn't actually work.

EDIT: Wireless now connected ok.

EDIT again: sound comes out good and loud.

gerry

BHINTZ

flickering image in web browser

#304 Post by BHINTZ »

I have also tried dpup 482 b4. I can connect to internet just fine, but I cannot use the whole screen without getting a flickering screen and blue turning into a sort of pale purple. I solve this problem by shrinking the screen about one inch from the right. I raised this question on the dpup page but seem to be the only experiencing this problem.

Puppeee also boots up very nicely but has the same issue on the browser. It does have the advantage of a working suspend when you close the lid. However, dpup will include acpitool in version 5 when it comes out and should be able to have this function as well.

I am downloading the 410 version for the acer now. I had it once but lost it when I installed Ubuntu netbook remix. This works fine but is very big and does not share well. I am currently running puppy from usb stick.

bob

Aitch

#305 Post by Aitch »

BHINTZ

sounds like a video driver/acceleration problem

have you tried changing refresh rate/colour depth?

check video driver against known good puppy or even *buntu and add driver from working one, maybe?

Aitch :)

T_Hobbit

Re: aspire one puppy

#306 Post by T_Hobbit »

acerpup wrote:Lets get this man some help on this project, most of the netbook distros are crap and I want this to get more popular/help!
iscraigh wrote:Here is a link to a remaster of puppy for the Aspire One. I have integrated most of the fixes and added

Petch
lucview
and a few others.

http://puppylinux.ca/members/aspirepup/

ftp link in this thread graciously provided by Eric (Canari)

wireless works
wireless lights work
mic works
camera works

Craig[/url]
I've read somewhere that he felt in love by another AAO distro...
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

BHINTZ

flickering image in web browser

#307 Post by BHINTZ »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have no idea how to implement it.

I reran Xorg and tried 1024x600x24 but now everything flickers a little. The brower (firefoxn3.5.5) is ok as long as it is smaller.

I have had this problem with all 431 versions I have tried.

bob

iscraigh

#308 Post by iscraigh »

For the record I didn't fall in love with another distro my kids did, the AAO's are theirs. The main thing I could not solve was reliable wireless connectivity.
I may work on another remaster based on the ubuntu or debian puppy's but I am building a house now and have very little play time. Still run puppy on my desktop though.

Craig

nooby

#309 Post by nooby »

iscraigh wrote:For the record I didn't fall in love with another distro my kids did, the AAO's are theirs. The main thing I could not solve was reliable wireless connectivity.
I may work on another remaster based on the ubuntu or debian puppy's but I am building a house now and have very little play time. Still run puppy on my desktop though.

Craig
Do you know if other distros does get the wireless going?

I bought my D250 some ten days ago to use at Internet Cafe wireless with linux which more safety that win 7 Styarter can give me.

Crunchbang or Easypeasy or linux4one or phalanx or what does work with the wireless?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Aitch

#310 Post by Aitch »

hi nooby,

a couple of [3] useful pages

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48816

http://tuxmobil.org/wireless_unix.html

http://www.linuxwireless.org/
News
September 9, 2009
With again almost 600 patches related to wireless, the new 2.6.31 kernel comes with many wireless changes:
You need to identify your hardware, get the right driver, then use, for example, pwireless2/network wizard, making sure you can get connected without security first, if possible,
then add wpa/wpa2 security

Failure to connect to the internet is sometimes due to DNS server issues, and I recommend trying 4.1.1.1, 4.1.1.2 as these often work where ISP assigned DNS don't - I haven't been able to find out why

nooby

#311 Post by nooby »

Much appreciated!

Thanks indeed. But looks way too complicated for me to figure out but I have bookmarked them so I find them when I have the guts to try them out.

First I have to download some isos and learn to get them over to all my many USB thumbs and try them out to find out which distro that works best with my Acer Aspire One D 250

It is only ten days old here so I barely know what I bought.

I guess I should look at Acer forum too. The latest machine has Android in them most likely in the ROM so they must have done drivers for all the hardware for that Android to work then. Same computer as I have only added Android I guess unless they have other hardware under same name D250

iscraigh

#312 Post by iscraigh »

Not sure about the hardware in the d250 but my kids use linux4one.

My acer pup had working wireless but it was just not reliable, particularly with wpa, I could usually get it working after playing around a bit but not easy for the kids.

Craig

jemimah

#313 Post by jemimah »

Hey guys, I wouldn't mind helping you port Pwireless2 over to the Aspire One puplet. I'm getting a lot of good feedback about it on Puppeee.

You can try installing the pet from the Additional Software forum. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48816

Aitch

#314 Post by Aitch »

thanks Jemimah

Already linked it for nooby....looks promising.....

wifi IS still a problem too many times IMHO

I get the feeling there may be something wrong with the basic structure

The current solution seems to be to add delays, whereas to me it seems there should be monitor/trigger sequencing, if you know what I mean....I'm not a programmer, but have seen flag monitoring used in other programs

HTH

nooby

#315 Post by nooby »

I am a slow guy.

Managed to download Unetbootin and Crunchbang both standard and lite and also slitaz-aircrack-ng-20091117.iso whatever that is.

Read something about Linux4one that made me chose that one as third option or something. Also read about Easypeasy and decided to wait with that one.

So not sure which to start with. Kuki or Crunchbang. Has to learn to use the Unetbootin first and decide if I should use Fat16 or fat32 or ext3 something. Know too little to decide on such issues.

What more to consider?

Re Puppy. I have downloaded pup-431.iso to make a DVD for my other computers. Maybe not the latest. Should I dl something newer that is better?

Thanks indeed for caring about a lazy guy here.

Aitch

#316 Post by Aitch »

nooby, you could always try Puppy win32.exe

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42867

or Puppy 214x9 VM

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44707

If you have a windoze XP setup.....?

nooby

#317 Post by nooby »

aah yes that was interesting to read.

I have win 7 Startup so I am not sure if it works in that one?

I wrote a PM to the person who know much about it so maybe I tell here later if I try it out based on his answer.

Have you heard of FluxFlux and Lin2Go, what are they about?

thanks for links I found this text by ICPUG
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:45 pm

However, someone in the Tiny Core Linux community has come up with a way where you don't edit boot.ini. You replace ntldr with a renamed grldr and have grldr call up ntldr, (which is also renamed) when Windows in required. There is still some risk but at least I am not guessing what boot.ini might be! This should be easier to automate too.
Hahahah that is so clever that I even fail to get it. Okay one rename it and then rename the other and then it works? I have to read it many times I guess.

Don't one have to kind of make copies of them and save in a secure place to know which is which of them if one have to restore them later?

Ok this works for XP then. Are Win 7 Starter built that way too?

I think it is like Vista and that one are different is it not?

what

nooby

#318 Post by nooby »

No it is not.

From Ms support text.
In earlier versions of the Windows operating system that run on a basic input/output system (BIOS)-based computer, such as Windows XP, the boot process starts with the system BIOS. The BIOS determines the boot device, and then loads the first physical sector. This physical sector is named the master boot record (MBR). The MBR contains the partition table and the necessary boot execution code. This code searches the partition table to find the active partition and passes control to the boot sector on the active partition. Then, the boot sector on the active partition loads the Ntldr program. The Ntldr program parses the Boot.ini file. This file is used to enumerate the operating systems that are installed.

When Windows Vista or Windows 7 starts on a BIOS-based computer, the BIOS loads the MBR and then loads the boot sector. However, boot code loads the new Windows Boot Manager program (Bootmgr). The Windows Boot Manager program parses the Boot Configuration Data file, enumerates the installed operating systems, and then displays the boot menu. If an earlier version of the Windows operating system is installed in a dual-boot configuration with Windows Vista or Windows 7, the Windows Boot Manager program transfers control to the Ntldr program for the earlier version of the Windows operating system. The Windows Boot Manager program does this when you select Windows Vista from the boot menu.
so it uses another way to load. As a noob I am completely lost in that text.

nooby

#319 Post by nooby »

Sorry me derailing the thread completely. I should join Crunchbang forum to ask questions on how to get the LAN network going.

Sooner or later I will download a puppy made for AAO D250 but will test other distros now.

Thansk for all help

Anniekin

#320 Post by Anniekin »

Is there a way to enable the touchpad tap = mouse click function?

This is enabled in Windoze XP and also Kuki linux.

I find that in trying to target the very small minimize - maximize - close buttons on the windows, by the time I reach over to press the touchpad mouse button, the cursor often floats away and is no longer over my intended target...