wNOP v0.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dinky

#301 Post by dinky »

What about Barry? Would he have any ideas what's changed with Puppy 4? 3 was working fine... so I'm assuming something happened with the T3 project...

Rather than recompiling everything, there must be some easier way.....

I'm really busy over the next month with our theatre company, but will have some more time afterwards to look at it, and try to recompile if necessary... keep me posted.
~dinky

shr1k

#302 Post by shr1k »

whats the command to run the compiz setting manager from the terminal?
mine broke :cry: nothing happens when I click the menu entry. I dont know if its the menu or the program.

dinky

#303 Post by dinky »

Code: Select all

ccsm
You can always find the commands for your menu items in /usr/share/applications

Right click and go to properties, then select launcher. Also, if you open the config files in mousepad, you will see how they are put together, and can even add your own. Cheers.
~dinky

jtouso

Wnop and Tigerpup and ATI

#304 Post by jtouso »

Hi,
Writing you after recomendation from Dinky. I asked him about Tigerpup and my notebook with the new Ati graphic-chart X2300 but he recomended to write you and ask you the same question (because Tigerpup comes from Wnop and you are the "father". The same problem I have with Tigerpup also with Wnop:
I have download and burn Tigerpup (or Wnop). In live mode all ok until it arrives to xorg. I use the vesa driver because with ati-fglrx the screen goes again to #. If I use xwin, again #. I need to change to vesa driver to open TigerPup but without using compiz. This is the question. My graphic chart is a new one X2300 and I think the fglrx driver don't recognize it.
May you help me, please?
Thanks

tombh

#305 Post by tombh »

Hello,
Perhaps try installing the latest FGLRX driver, the instructions can be fouind here http://forum.puppyrus.org/index.php/topic,307.0.html. If that doesn't work post a wNOPdump, the instructions for that are at the beginning of this thread.

Good luck :)
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

T_Hobbit

#306 Post by T_Hobbit »

Hi

My ATI Mobility Radeon HD2400 doesn't work with wNOP's XOrg!
I start booting the CD, chose keyboard then XOrgWizard runs, gives me 1 resolution with 2 depths (16 and 24), chose one and it ask me to test, test ok (shows seagulls and window with resolution and depth to click ok) then ask if I want to startx with xvesa or go back to XOrgWizard!

Now I will try with Puppy4 to see what happens...

Thanks for any help.

T_Hobbit

PS: when wNOP based on Puppy4?

tombh

#307 Post by tombh »

Ah! This problem has been reported before -- something I will fix in the next version. Basically, you should be given the option to manually choose the correct driver and thus override the automatic detection, however a silly bugs means you can't do that -- otherwise i would tell you to choose the fglrx option.

Anyhow, coincidentally your best option now is to follow the instructions I just gave to jtouse.

PS. I'm working on wNOP for Puppy 4 but we haven't even compiled compiz for it let alone make a remastered ISO, but soon, it's on its way :)
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

nic2109

Re: Wnop and Tigerpup and ATI

#308 Post by nic2109 »

jtouso wrote:Hi,
Writing you after recomendation from Dinky. I asked him about Tigerpup and my notebook with the new Ati graphic-chart X2300 but he recomended to write you and ask you the same question (because Tigerpup comes from Wnop and you are the "father". The same problem I have with Tigerpup also with Wnop:
I have download and burn Tigerpup (or Wnop). In live mode all ok until it arrives to xorg. I use the vesa driver because with ati-fglrx the screen goes again to #. If I use xwin, again #. I need to change to vesa driver to open TigerPup but without using compiz. This is the question. My graphic chart is a new one X2300 and I think the fglrx driver don't recognize it.
May you help me, please?
Thanks
Hello. Just to encourage you I found that the latest fglrx driver works fine with my reasonably recent ATi card. Do persist 'cos you'll LOVE wNOP (or Tigerpup) when you get it working, and it's not too hard. Just follow Tom's suggestion
tombh wrote:try installing the latest FGLRX driver, the instructions can be found here http://forum.puppyrus.org/index.php/topic,307.0.html.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

jtouso

#309 Post by jtouso »

Waiting for a solution...I can´t use the fglrx.pet you address to me in the forum.
It install ok (clic over pet file) but when I close X and restart again...no compiz. If I restart X again and choose manually the fglrx driver, it choose the 7.11 and don´t overwrite by the new one.
Hope next version works or waiting to other solution.
Thanks

nic2109

#310 Post by nic2109 »

tombh wrote:Hello,
Perhaps try installing the latest FGLRX driver, the instructions can be fouind here http://forum.puppyrus.org/index.php/topic,307.0.html. If that doesn't work post a wNOPdump, the instructions for that are at the beginning of this thread.

Good luck :)
Has anyone else found this version to be much slower than previous ones?

glxgears gives me 900 fps whereas I get 2500 from the earlier 8.4 driver. What might be wrong?

Also; on a Full install - nothing wobbles! Is this a known "feature"?

dinky

#311 Post by dinky »

Weird on full install, have you looked at the settings for wobbly windows in CCSM?

tombh

#312 Post by tombh »

@jtouso: Please post a wNOPdump (see the begininng of this thread for instructions)

@nic2109: Alright there me ol' mucker. That's a shame about the speed decrease, I'm inclined to think that there is an installation problem there -- perhaps the pet installs to different directories and a mixture of the old driver and the new driver are being used. Perhaps a dump would reveal something?

As for the full install, it's interesting that only now has someone tried a full install, I full install all the time, except there wasn't a problem with me as I installed NOP then wobblified later. So the problem is almost certainly to do with the fact that the installer doesn't copy over certain files, and thinking about it, it will certainly not copy over the /tmp directory in which the drivers are kept, so that's just one difference off the top of my head. A dump from there would also be useful. But only if you're that bothered, not many people seem interested in full installs.

@Wobbly Puppy 4 fans: It's very early days but we've managed to get Compiz Fusion running in Puppy 4. Emerald, the window decorator is not working yet, so until that's working I won't be thinking about an ISO. If you want to see if you can get CF going in Puppy 4 then you're going to have to do the whole thing manually, which is pretty long and tricky. But it'd be great to hear of anyone else's experiences. You can use the compiz and python packages from wow's thread, but everything else, therefore drivers, Xorg pacakges, etc will need to be Puppy 4 ones and then finally you'll need to install the updated libX11 library. Good luck!

nic2109

#313 Post by nic2109 »

tombh wrote:@nic2109: Alright there me ol' mucker.
Or, as they say in these parts "Ay up me duck"
tombh wrote:As for the full install, it's interesting that only now has someone tried a full install ............ not many people seem interested in full installs.
Yeah, I've noticed that. It seems to me to be the natural thing to do, but the tide definitely flows the Frugal way. I'd have thought that not having those file system layers gave performance and file-system integrity advantages, but many (including some of the best-known gurus in the Forum) disagree.

So, back to my Frugal installation; with its 2500 fps, so that's an upside!

On the Puppy 4 based wNOP question, are you considering building in either the Cairo Dock, or the wbar? The work Dinky has done on Tigerpup makes it look so good I reckon that one or other is a "must-have feature". What's your thinking?

tombh

#314 Post by tombh »

Aye up,

Yeah, cos the first computer I ever used Puppy on was a 64MB P133 Toshiba Tecra and the performance increase on that from a full-install was dramatic, thus I assumed the same would apply all the way up the specification scale and now, well, I'm just stuck in my ways.

Is that 2500fps from the new driver, that you said was slower!?

Ah, the next version of wNOP, well, I've got even bigger ideas than Cairo-Dock! But we'll have to wait for Project Ripple. wNOP v1.0 as I think I'll call it will just be a linear improvement, with bug fixes and newer versions of stuff. And if that's stable enough it'll be the last ever version of wNOP! But then I'll begin work on Ripple :) It'll have the works, Cairo-Dock and Screenlets, and be mastered from unleashed, they'll be no XFCE, it'll just be a pure Compiz-Fusion environment, something that's never be seen before!

dinky

#315 Post by dinky »

Hi folks, great work for Puppy4 tombh, sorry I've been unable to take part in getting Compiz working. Looking forward to your next release. On the TigerPup front, I've just ported it very happily to the eeepc. Truly awesome, a little laptop running compiz-fusion! I've been asked to set up TigerPup on a friend's eeepc, so I'll be making an iso of it shortly. Tigeeer perhaps? Is anyone interested in wNOP on the eeepc? If so, let me know and I'll make a customised wNOP as well, and post how I did it. It's too much work to sensibly make a .pet package, but I'm happy to create a custom iso. While wNOP will run by default, the screen resolution is wrong and many features aren't working. Not hard to fix, but it seems easier to make it a seperate project. Oh yeah, and I'm writing this on an eeepc right now! Cheers,
~dinky

Aitch

#316 Post by Aitch »

Nice one Dinky

TigerEEEPC/Tigeeer - bound to be a winner

How is it for video/general performance on compiz?

Is this a frugal/full install or are you running LiveCD?

I have a friend who is thinking about one, he'll be interested as I already pointed him to Pupeee

Aitch

dinky

#317 Post by dinky »

Hi Aitch. EEEPCTiger/Tigeer and thus wNOP work beautifully of the eeepc. Graphics and general performance, with a few tweaks, are flawles with Compiz-Fusion. Actually, for so small a laptop I find them essential.

I'm working with frugal installs, and initially being able to run it from a flash card in the card reader. Long live puppy! Lol. Will also try and make one specific to wNOP, I think there will be enough interest. Cheers!
~dinky

nic2109

#318 Post by nic2109 »

tombh wrote:Is that 2500fps from the new driver, that you said was slower?
No, sorry; that's the previous 8.4 version. I haven't tried it on a Frugal installation. As I have a working setup I don't intend to fix it 'til it breaks.

T_Hobbit

#319 Post by T_Hobbit »

tombh wrote:Ah! This problem has been reported before -- something I will fix in the next version. Basically, you should be given the option to manually choose the correct driver and thus override the automatic detection, however a silly bugs means you can't do that -- otherwise i would tell you to choose the fglrx option.

Anyhow, coincidentally your best option now is to follow the instructions I just gave to jtouse.

PS. I'm working on wNOP for Puppy 4 but we haven't even compiled compiz for it let alone make a remastered ISO, but soon, it's on its way :)
Hi

I try the Russian How-To and at first look... doens't work: just a black screen! Caps look still works but the screen nothing shows.

Thanks

dinky

#320 Post by dinky »

Hi T_Hobbit, how have you booted up? Are you on the live cd, or the frugal install? Do you get as far as the xorgwizard asking you questions about your screen resolution? If you get that far, try first selecting 'manual setup' when asked about compiz fusion. Then select 'plain xfce' (something like that anyway). Will it work without compiz-fusion? If xorg won't work, try xvesa. Will xvesa work? If you can't get anything other than a black screen, have you double checked that your iso burned correctly?
~dinky