pcPuppyOS - with Citrix, Cisco VPN, OOffice/Oxygen, WPA2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Mstar

It Works!

#31 Post by Mstar »

Thank you, Pizzasgood.

It was asking for information behind the blank screen. Booted fine with pfix=nosplash.

Yes, the option to turn off the bootsplash is in the menu.

It said it saved the pup_save file, but it is not in the subdirectory. It also did not indicate that it was being loaded when I rebooted. Asked for Xorg or Xvesa, etc. again.

But, it kept the network settings between boots. So, I don't know if it's finding the pup_save or not. I'll do a little more experimenting and report back.

Thanks again.

Mstar

No Joy With Pup_Save

#32 Post by Mstar »

Pizzasgood,

Sorry to report that pup_save is not being created, even though the procedure completes. I do not, however, see the typical "files being written" message after I hit Enter.

Tried it twice now, with no success.

Also checked the root of the drive, although it says it's putting the pup_save in the subdirectory. No new files there either.

Changes are not being saved, it's starting from scratch each time.

All else appears to be working, including the network connection.

Sorry to be such a bother.

Thanks for the help.

Pizzasgood

#33 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sorry to be such a bother.
Quite the opposite! We need to find the bugs!

We don't have lab the first week of school, so I'm done for the day already. Testing will commence as soon as I get a fresh disk burned. (Would have started a while ago, but I visited the dev-blog first, then decided to implement the monitor probing fix that Barry posted).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Mstar

Pupsave Update

#34 Post by Mstar »

Pizzasgood,

Copied a pup_save from a 3.00 installation to the subdirectory and started pcpuppy with pfix=purge. It took forever, but it now recognizes the pup_save.

Odd thing is that is did the version upgrade all over again when I rebooted it without the purge command. Third time was the charm, though as it started right up and appears to be saving changes. Of course, I've lost all my icons, but that's not a big deal.

Also, FWIW, when it asked about saving each of the times it did not work,it did not present the opportunity to re-name the file, select the size, or let one choose where it is to be created. Seems the process is being short circuited somewhere. It did choose to install in the correct subdirectory, and the file size was -1024k (the minus sign was there each time). Just never wrote anything anywhere I could find.

Hope this helps. Thanks again.

Pizzasgood

#35 Post by Pizzasgood »

Found the problem. It was the auto-mounting script, which had a line to unmount all the partitions when you reboot. When I added that line, I thought that file systems not being unmounted was causing a bug we were experiencing. I wasn't thinking straight though because the shutdown scripts automatically take care of any file systems that are still mounted. We eventually found and fixed the real source of the bug, but I forgot that I'd added that line to the auto-mount script so never removed it.

To fix it, either use the toggle menu to disable the automounting, or just edit the /etc/init.d/mount_all script and comment out the line near the top that starts with "umount".

I also enabled the firewall by default, corrected a bug causing the desktop icons to change, and corrected the install script so that it will give you correct directions when telling you how to configure grub.

EDIT: But, now I see that encrypted save-files aren't working. It skips the part where it asks for your (encryption) password. :roll:

EDIT2: Same issue as this guy's:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 440#162643

EDIT3: Same thing happens with a plain vanilla Puppy 3.01, so it's not an error I induced. I might look at it harder Thursday if I don't have anything more important to do. I'm trying to get caught up on all my old unfulfilled promises before school gets crazy again.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

BlueScreenBetty

#36 Post by BlueScreenBetty »

Thanks!

Toggling the automount worked. I now have pcPuppyOS running from USB and maintaining persistence.

Fantastic! I appreciate having this puppy version.I know when I'm on call I can keep puppy running because I can now get into Citrix.

Betty

KF6SNJ

#37 Post by KF6SNJ »

I will be testing this in the next hour. I will let you know....

Mstar

PCMCIA Problem

#38 Post by Mstar »

It's me again.

Machine is a Compaq Presario 1925 notebook with a Belkin FSD7010 PCMCIA wireless adapter plugged in.

Puppy 3.01 finds it and works. PcpuppyOS does not. I've loaded the driver and written and saved the login script in the Wizard (it's a WEP encrypted network) but nothing happens when I test it. Says no network was found, etc.

The card is visible using cardctl, and also using the built-in Puppy interface finding utility.

What shows up on the taskbar is an icon for wiifi0, but the interface is ath0, and is shown properly in the wizard but not on the taskbar. When using 3.01 it get two taskbar icons, one of which is the ath0.

I saw that Pizzasgood had moved some of the PCMCIA handling to a different script in PcpuppyOS. Maybe something got left out, or garbled in the process. I don't know enough to go any deeper on my own.

Thanks, this is a nice package.

friedsonjm

#39 Post by friedsonjm »

Mstar, when you say you've loaded the package, are you using a native Linux driver, or an ndiswrapper-loaded windows one? I'm asking because I have a similar situation on my machine, which I've overcome using ndiswrapper. Oh, I use WPA2, I'm not comfortable with WEP's level of security...
regards,
John

Pizzasgood

#40 Post by Pizzasgood »

I saw that Pizzasgood had moved some of the PCMCIA handling to a different script in PcpuppyOS.
Well, that's news to me! All I changed was some WPA related stuff (initially I did the fix I posted, but I wound up resorting to abandoning the wpa_cli method for editing wpa_supplicant.conf in favor of sed, which finally got friedsonjm's card working. I also corrected the password length bug).

The only thing I can think of is that I included the contents of zdrv_301.sfs in the pup_xxx.sfs file because at one point it sounded like the .sfs version wasn't being used correctly. Turned out to be a different problem but I neglected to go back and remove the built-in package. I'll disable that for the next ISO; maybe it will help. (The zdrv_301.sfs file itself was still kept in order to keep the initrd.gz file small-ish). This doesn't seem like it should make a difference though.

Are you sure it was the plain Puppy 3.01 (what pcPuppyOS was based on), or the regression version (which uses an older kernel)? Run uname -r in a commandline. That will tell you your kernel. If it's 2.6.21.7, then you got the standard version.

Not to be insulting or anything, but are you certain that you did the same process to set it up in pcPuppyOS as Puppy 3.01? Try the same process in a Puppy 3.01 using puppy pfix=ram just to make sure you aren't remembering anything wrong.

Do you know how to set it up on the commandline? Trying that on both and comparing the results might help to determine where the problem is (i.e. the wizard, the utilities, the modules, etc.)
If you don't, here's a how-to:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

If the problem is the zdrv thing, it will probably rear its head at the very beginning, when you're loading the modules for the card.

Sorry if this post is a little scattered. I prefer posting as many ideas as I can think of at once to save time, rather than working through them all over days.

In other news, I was busy today. I updated Thunderbird, added Enigmail, and modified the xwin script to use a dialog for the times when there's a bad shutdown (similar to Puppy 2.15CE and Pizzapup 3.x, but this version has a time-out so you don't have to be around to hit enter). I also started adding dmcrypt. Right now it's usable, but not an option for the pup_save.2fs file. I'll hopefully get to that before Sunday when I plan to upload a new ISO.

I haven't found out how to fix the other encryptions yet, and I don't know if it will affect dmcrypt too (at the initrd.gz level that is, it works fine when everything's running). If dmcrypt is fine but I can't get the others running, I might just comment them out and leave dmcrypt as the only option, at least until a solution is found.

Mstar

PCMCIA Problem

#41 Post by Mstar »

Pizzasgood,

I found the comment about moving the files in a note you'd left in one of the scripts. I don´t now enough to make that kind of stuff up.

Ran uname and got the correct version in response.

Checked the wireless configuration and it is identical in both. Only someone who had never made a dumb mistake would be insulted by that kind of question, and that certainly is not me.

I will have to look into the command line solution, that is a bit above my pay grade. But I will give it a try.

Now that you mention it, I was not able to load the driver until after I did a frugal install. Got the driver failed to load message, but assumed it was because this machine is ram limited (192 meg only). Maybe not, though.

I will report back on the command line effort.

Thanks again.

Pizzasgood

#42 Post by Pizzasgood »

I found the comment about moving the files in a note you'd left in one of the scripts. I don´t now enough to make that kind of stuff up.
No, I don't think you're making anything up. I thought maybe you just misunderstood what I'd changed, or maybe mistook someone else's comment for my own. Because I honestly don't remember doing anything like that. I just looked through all my notes and didn't see anything about pcmcia. Do you have any idea which script it was that said that? Did it have my name following the comment?

It's possible that I did something like that back in the beginning and forgot to document it, then actually forgot it. But I think you probably saw a comment someone else had made that was near one I made and mistook it for my own.

Of course, if I'm losing my memory I'd really like to know about it :shock:

EDIT: I did move the ALSA stuff from rc.local0 to rc.sysinit. That's not pcmcia though.

jcoder24

#43 Post by jcoder24 »

Pizzasgood wrote:No, the firewall isn't automatically set. I should set it to do that, considering it runs dhcpd automatically.
Did you write a script to do this or did you just call it from rc.local[0]?

NathanO

#44 Post by NathanO »

Maybe I missed this some where, but it would be nice to add a GUI to change the clock at the right end of the task bar from 12H to 24H rather then having to change a script.

NathanO

JustGreg

#45 Post by JustGreg »

I did a full installation to an ext2 partition. PCpuppyOS works great. Wine comes up without a whine about missing libraries. I have some questions about things that I can change.

First, I would like to set the tray clock to 24 hour format. Which script do I have to edit the settings for miniclock. I checked the usual suspects, oops, scripts and could not find it.

Second, I would like the calendar and analog clock not to start running at startup. They are nice. Once again, which script do I have to edit? I found this out. Just go to /etc/init.x and change the permissions to no execute on the startup files.

I have gotten two minor errors. The first is Cybernet ZPC-9000, I using does not have a floppy drive. I get a error opening /dev/fd0 at boot. Once again, which script do I have to edit?

The second error was with the program xnetstrength. When I tried to run it, it terminated with this error message: "font load failed" Resource temporarily unavailable."

I have not used icewm before and now I am impressed. Everything looks nice. The icons are great. It is easy to change themes. Friedsorjm and Pizzasgood, you did a great job.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

friedsonjm

#46 Post by friedsonjm »

JustGreg wrote: Second, I would like the calendar and analog clock not to start running at startup. They are nice. Once again, which script do I have to edit?
Check out Utility-Toggle Services

Lots of stuff you can have auto turn off or on!

jf

Pizzasgood

#47 Post by Pizzasgood »

Maybe I missed this some where, but it would be nice to add a GUI to change the clock at the right end of the task bar from 12H to 24H rather then having to change a script.
I'm back in Pizzapup right now so I can't check, but maybe the IceWM configuration tool can do that. I think that's in Start->Desktop. I know it can do some other stuff, and I think it could do the clock too.

Otherwise, sure, I can make one of those.
Did you write a script to do this or did you just call it from rc.local[0]?
Neither. I figured out how the network wizard saved it's settings, and set it up with pre-saved dhcpcd running.

I added the firewall by putting in the same rc.firewall script that the wizard generates when using the default settings, and added code to rc.local0 so that when it creates rc.local (if it doesn't already exist, which is the default) it includes code to load the firewall. I thought about instead using the /etc/init.d directory and the toggle scripts for it, but then it would mess up the firewall wizard (in case the user wants to modify the firewall).

Maybe I could modify the wizard to be compatible with that though. Yes, I think that would be better. More consistent with the rest of the stuff.

I have gotten two minor errors. The first is Cybernet ZPC-9000, I using does not have a floppy drive. I get a error opening /dev/fd0 at boot. Once again, which script do I have to edit?
Not sure. Does this happen with a normal Puppy? I don't think I modified anything involving floppy disks, so that might be a normal part of Puppy's boot sequence.

Also, are you sure it was /dev/fd0 and not /dev/fb0? /dev/fb0 would be referring to the framebuffer device, which indicates an error with the bootsplash. Perhaps you didn't chose to use a framebuffer device, but also didn't enable the pfix=nosplash boot option?
The second error was with the program xnetstrength. When I tried to run it, it terminated with this error message: "font load failed" Resource temporarily unavailable."
Hmm, I'll have to look into that.

JustGreg

#48 Post by JustGreg »

Thank you, Pizzasgood. The problem was the frame buffer and pfix=noboot splash did work and eliminated the message at boot. I did confirm the problem with xnetstrength. This is not a major problem for me since RutilT provides similar information. I just want to see how xnetstrength looked.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

davec51

Trouble with CUPS

#49 Post by davec51 »

This may be a CUPS rather than a pcPuppyOS problem, but when I try to set up a connection from my pcPuppy OS to a remote printer, the setup doesn't offer a Samba option. I have configured 3.01 with such an option. Am I being directed to an older CUPS page?

JustGreg

#50 Post by JustGreg »

I am posting this to help others. if you want the tray clock format to be a 24 hour format and not a 12 hour with AM or PM, then one has to edit /root/.icewm/perferences with a text editor (i.e. geany). To get the 24 hour format, one has to remove the "#" at the beginning of line 474. Make the change and save the file. To get the format, one has to restart icewm using the shutdown menu.

I have another minor error (fix it when there is time, but it is not a bug!). Conky is placing in the flie /tmp/xerrs.log this message, "Conky: statfs 'mnt/home' No such file or directory". My installation is a full to ext2 partition so there is no /mnt/home. For others, unless you leave your system on continuously, this is not a problem. At each startup, this file is deleted and a new xerrs.log file is started.
Enjoy life, Just Greg