Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

Re: GMA500 support

#2981 Post by jemimah »

step wrote:Subject: GMA500 support
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie of puppy linux, this is my first post. I've visited this forum many times in the past, in awe and admiration of this distro and its community. I have live tested many puppies, but the lack of good GMA500 (poulsbo) support has pushed me back. Now it seems that ubuntu 12.04 has greatly improved gma500 support with a new driver, so I'm wondering if that driver can be fitted into puppy linux, preferably into saluki. I'm a user, not a programmer, so I would appreciate some orientation and direction from expert members of this forum. I'm posting in this topic only for now, as saluki is really where I'd want to be if the gma500 could be made to work well. I did find in the forum a poulsbo driver in a 2009 post, but I don't know if that driver works with recent puppies like saluki, and anyway the post says that even with that driver graphics quality is marginal. Thank you in advance for your answers.
Ubuntu drivers are a no-go in saluki - might be possible with the new Upup but it's still in alpha.

Unless an open source driver has been released, Decent PSB support in saluki is highly unlikely.

jemimah

#2982 Post by jemimah »

Karl Godt wrote:Two pets for the adventurous :

hdparm-9.39 statically compiled on Saluki (019) by make on Asus Eeepc 1005 uname -m i686

smartmontools-5.42 dynamically

I am using three Hitachi drives , so busybox hdparm which is quite fine but does not support the -H option is not enough for me .
# hdparm -H /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
drive temperature (celsius) is: 34
drive temperature in range: yes
The ppm lists one hdparm .pet as hdparm-9.37-w5c .
hdparm statically is about 550 KB compared to 95 KB dynl (both stripped) .

smartmontools includes smartctl binary to get also the temperature of the drive by smartctl -A /dev/sda |grep 194 .
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 157 157 000 Old_age Always - 35 (Min/Max 13/43)
The smartmontools pet includes the processed /etc/init.d/ start script, which i have chmod 644 and not adjusted for Puppy Linux .

(btw new2dir needs a sort -u before reading files to process .. here i saw double, on one cups attempt 6x the same file ..)
I've added hdparm to the repo.

jemimah

Re: windows key (super key) not working with UK (gb) keyboard

#2983 Post by jemimah »

[quote="davemusic"]Hello,
This is my first post (well.... second now - since I discovered that I posted my first attempt in the wrong forum :oops: ) – despite having “discovered

Geoffrey

#2984 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:
DaveS wrote:Is there a suitable Firefox 12* sfs yet?
Not that I know of. Does someone want to make one?
Tman has a Firefox-12.0-official.pet here http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/firefox/ no sfs though.

jemimah

#2985 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
jemimah wrote:
DaveS wrote:Is there a suitable Firefox 12* sfs yet?
Not that I know of. Does someone want to make one?
Tman has a Firefox-12.0-official.pet here http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/firefox/ no sfs though.
This seems like it has some internal libs missing.

EDIT: I have repaired it and am uploading it now.

DaveS

#2986 Post by DaveS »

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
jemimah wrote: Not that I know of. Does someone want to make one?
This seems like it has some internal libs missing.

EDIT: I have repaired it and am uploading it now.
I did actually make one myself but have not finished testing yet. Seems ok so far......
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Tman

#2987 Post by Tman »

The Firefox-official pets require dbus and dbus-glib as dependencies. I have included a wary-compiled pet for them in /usr/lib/firefox/dependencies, but you may want to replace them with Saluki-compiled versions.
If the dependencies aren't found, it should ask ask you if you wish to install the dbus_dbus-glib pet.

Also, I have made a small howto for compiling Firefox, if anyone wants to try. It took me about 40 minutes to compile on an AMD 64 Athlon X2 5200+ (dual-core) with "make -j2 -is"
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77753

HiDeHo

#2988 Post by HiDeHo »

Wow i am liking saluki 0.21 atm. Its vastly improved and I love the boot message loading. here are some more things i have been thinking about
  1. latest release forum support link: it would be really handy to have a link on the first page of this post for each release(or for releases from now on) to link to the page where the support for that version begins. eg the page you announce the release on. make it a tone easier especially if there are 10 or more pages to look through. I think this makes real sense and saves the usual separate posting for each new version that can make the forums hard to find things. keep it up.
  2. creating pets and sfs: I notice there is dir2pet and dir2sfs built in. for converting apps into these formats. here is my post on the subject. click here
  3. boot splash screen: how to add a custom image when saluki boots

yerc1

LibreOffice menu icon size

#2989 Post by yerc1 »

I downloaded luki16 sometime ago but only had time to try it today.
Impressed, again! (Until now i'm using Fluppy013)

Just one very minor thing that I found, tho i'm not sure whether this has been fixed down the line, is with the size of LibreOffice menu icon.

When called from the taskbar, the apps menu has the correct LibreOffice menu icon size, but when invoked from a desktop right-click apps menu displays huge menu icons for LibreOffice relative to other apps. See attachments.

Saluki is running from usb with LibreOffice, jre, firefox, printer-scanner sfs's loaded.

Massive thank yous to Jemimah and All who are collaborating with her on this new project! Looking forward to 1.0 release...

mikeslr

Invoking xorgwizard

#2990 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah:

I'm planning to send a bootable USB-Key-Saluki21 to my non-tekky niece. It already has a SaveFile on the USB. You're initial xorgwizard is superb. Booting from the USB port on three computers, and copying its files to a folder and adding it to Grub4dos on two others, Saluki reached desktop with the proper resolution on 4 times out of the five. The fifth required that xorgwizard be invoked.
I am writing a cover letter to her which will cover what to do if that happens. She probably won't know enough to select the "choose" option, and selecting "probe" or "Vesa" she may have to guess at her monitor's best resolution. So I wanted to explain to her how to invoke xorgwizard if the chosen resolution needed to be adjusted.
I'll intend to tell her about Ctl-Alt-Backspace anyway, but I couldn't find Xorgwizard on the Menu or by typing it into the Control Panel's Searchbox. Maybe I missed it. But it should be there for complete noobs.
After invoking Xorgwizard by pressing Ctl-Alt-Backspace, selecting "probe," running its routine and then typing xwin, the wait notice was displayed. I waited two minutes. Nothing happened. So I rebooted successfully into a GUI desktop. Should it take that long?
After posting this, as I'm in Saluki21, I try again and see if it was a fluke.
Edit: Must have been a fluke. Repeated the above twice. Typing xwin brought me to desktop in about a second.

mikesLr

sszindian

Update from 20 to 21

#2991 Post by sszindian »

Did a regular 'update' from 20 to 21 (I boot from CD and only have the savefile on the HDD)

Everything went real well I'd say however, umplayer would not function properly after the update... a re-install of umplayer from the PPM fixed that little issue!

Everything else appears to be working as it did before the update!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

davemusic

Re: Invoking xorgwizard

#2992 Post by davemusic »

mikeslr wrote:Hi jemimah:

......., but I couldn't find Xorgwizard on the Menu or by typing it into the Control Panel's Searchbox. Maybe I missed it. But it should be there for complete noobs.
Perhaps I can assist? (Plus it would make me feel "useful" to be able to "repay" all the wonderful info that I have gleaned by reading this forum)...

I too had difficultly locating xorgwizard.
But, it is in control panel.
Category: System - > Personalize Settings. (Screen resolution and country settings)
Then one can change keyboard and locale info and there is an XorgWizard button which works.

However, if one clicks on the XorgWizard button that is at the bottom right of that pane - and then CHANGES one's mind and cancels - there is a message box that says

Code: Select all

"To run 'XorgWizard', Menu > Setup > Xorg Video Wizard"
Which one cannot do. Perhaps this message is a remnant from puppeee?
A very minor point - but, something you may like to make your "intended recipient" aware of.

David

taca0

#2993 Post by taca0 »

Hi,

I have a laptop with intel core duo with 1g ram and I install Saluki frugal in a nfst vista partition , without swap.

The problem its that the laptop its getting freeze complete , I have to poweroff removing battery. I was using web browser lightly . Also some times the memory begins to increase to 800mb .

Where could be the problem , How resolve that

I like Saluki but now....

Thanks!

Dromeno

Zim

#2994 Post by Dromeno »

Zim is a desktop wiki manager which is IMHO more useful than didiwiki

Freeplane is a branch of freemind (mind manager program) which is more portable / crossplatform than freemind.

I installed

zim-lucid-0.5.0.pet

in Saluki but since this version was made for lucid puppy it didn't work. Worse, after that (even after I uninstalled it) rednotebook (which at first worked in saluki) didn't work anymore. Thankfully I could revert to an older 3fs.

And for some reason which I do not understand yet I get freeplane working in Lucid and windows but not in Saluki.

so... another request: Jemimah, can you please make a saluki friendly version of Freeplane and Zim?

http://zim-wiki.org/
http://zim-wiki.org/downloads.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeplane/

I would be most thankful!

Geoffrey

Freeplane

#2995 Post by Geoffrey »

Here is Freeplane, this needs java to run http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/Geoffrey ... 1.3_10.pet 16.4 MB (17,242,265 Bytes)
please test, if it works as it should it will be moved to the repository

HiDeHo

Re: Invoking xorgwizard

#2996 Post by HiDeHo »

mikeslr wrote:Hi jemimah:

I'll intend to tell her about Ctl-Alt-Backspace anyway, but I couldn't find Xorgwizard on the Menu or by typing it into the Control Panel's Searchbox. Maybe I missed it. But it should be there for complete noobs.
in saluki it uses an app called control panel where the settings are. much like control panel has in windows. got to menu>control panel>Personalize - settings. that is the same screen that pops up (with the country settings, date, time, etc and xorg wizard).when you first boot puppy linux or boot using pfix=ram.

HiDeHo

#2997 Post by HiDeHo »

taca0 wrote:Hi,

I have a laptop with intel core duo with 1g ram and I install Saluki frugal in a nfst vista partition , without swap.

The problem its that the laptop its getting freeze complete , I have to poweroff removing battery. I was using web browser lightly . Also some times the memory begins to increase to 800mb .

Where could be the problem , How resolve that

I like Saluki but now....

Thanks!
Hi taca0 i had this problem when first setting up saluki. unlike other puppy os, which need only 3 files for a frugal install, saluki needs 4 for a frugal setup. You need these files vmlinuz, intrid.gz, saluki.sfs and zdriv.sfs which will give you a working puplet.

You will also notice an adrive.sfs file. this contains all the apps added ontop of the saluki operating system in the saluki build. if run without adrive you will have very limited apps installed and it will be very bare boned.

if you ever use the saluki custom builder it will build a new adrive.sfs file with your changes. any new apps added and ones you remove and any other changes you want to make. then you just replace the original adrive with your new built one

I must also note it is a good idea to allow puppy to make a small swap file on the partition, swap is useful if you may run out of ram, or if you want to put puppy in sleep or hibernation. A 512mb swap should be ok for general use, but, for sleep and hibernation the save file should be at least the same size as the amount of ram(this is true of any linux operating system). swap file should will be great.

remember saluki works a bit different that the standard slacko, lupu, wary and racy puppies. I hope this helps clear things up and you have fun using saluki.

666philb

#2998 Post by 666philb »

shevan wrote:666philb

exit to promt
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
xwin

sometimes in other distributions it works (may not)
hi shevan, i had no luck with this. it seems to be a problematic netbook for puppy, even the one puppy that does work (lucid) has a minor issue with sound on it.

thanks for trying though :)
Last edited by 666philb on Tue 08 May 2012, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

mikeslr

Thanks davemusic & HiDeHo

#2999 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks davemusic & HiDeHo,

For helping me locate xorgwizard, and for the advice about a swapfile.

mikesLr

Dromeno

Freeplane works

#3000 Post by Dromeno »

Geoffry:

yep - freeplane works and can be put in the repo. Thanks!