pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
zigbert

#281 Post by zigbert »

gray

I've checked the code for 'find's. I have changed some (to the better), but I don't think they cause your problem. I can't see some in the areas where you describe troubles. dcbevins has mysterious experiences with Pbackup. He also works on a ntfs disk.... :?

Sigmund

zigbert

#282 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.6.1 is uploaded
See main post

disciple

#283 Post by disciple »

Woohoo! I don't know what you've done, but I'm pretty sure it opens quite a bit faster now in Dingo.

1. You seem to have forgotten to fix the save dialogue.

2. A few more little changes to the English help.

3. I was just thinking that we should really have a prominent warning (in red) on the "advanced" tab, to click "refresh" before choosing to edit the burn command. Otherwise people who haven't read the help don't realise they need to.

4. I was also wondering about audio burning. Firstly, is it really necessary to copy the compressed files to the temporary directory, rather than linking them? (I guess this would apply to video too). Secondly, what would happen if someone tried to burn .wav files that do not match the audio cd spec (44,100 Hz etc)? I suspect most people will never burn from .wav files, so maybe we just need a warning (either in pburn when you put the cd together, or in the help file).
When I'm burning .wav files I've recorded from an LP I certainly won't want it to go and reencode them, as I will have made them in the correct format. Although I guess we could automatically reencode them, and someone like me that knows their files are in the correct format can always edit the burn command to remove that step.
Attachments
help-english.html.gz
(5.32 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#284 Post by zigbert »

disciple
First I feel to explain my quote from yesterday: Whatever fits in a simple, logical, and userfriendly gui - add it. This is not the opposite to yours opinion about: doing one job, and doing it well. I like to think of one gui as one job. It seems that some guimakers tend to start the other way around. "here we got a command, - it needs a gui", rather than "user needs a simple way to ... - how can I make it easy." But the back to Pburn. - It is of course important with a stable code, else it is useless. Pburn 1.0.0 was a milestone, and I think of 2.0.0 as the next. In beetween the code are defined as stable, but development runs fast, so bugfixing will happen all the way. With 1.9.0, there will be only bugfixing for 2.0.0. I am thinking of 1 last big function. - copy/shrink video-DVD. I see it as a logical function for a burning app. I have also looked a bit of photo-CD support, but haven't found too much stuff about that....

So, back to your notes:
1. The save-dialogue (is dialogue the correct word? I'm learning all the time :) ) is working as it is meant to, but gtk 2.12 has hidden the line to write filename. Button 'edit' in upper right corner solves this. But of course ... we can't have it like this.

2. Thank you VERY much for that.

3. It is meant to refresh automatically when you check the box. This must be a bug.

4. *.wav files will not be reencoded. It could me mentioned in the help file, but how big is the chance that people want to burn a wav file...and then ... how big is the chance that this file is not 44100 hz. I don't know much about this. I just look at the files in my computer :)

I can't remember why I chose to copy the compressed files to tmp, rather than just using the links. I'll make a note, but won't give it much priotity. I guess it is because I'm not able to use ffmpeg freely. I just copy from here and there. The encoding of compressed files has followed us from the very beginning, and was caught from grafburn. Maybe you want to play with this? Maybe Nathan ended with this simple way to support all 'mac', 'faad', 'ffmpeg'?

Sigmund

disciple

#285 Post by disciple »

1. Oh, sorry - I missed that button. Maybe I haven't spent enough time around gtk 2.12 :)

3. Well I haven't used it lately, so I guess there probably isn't a bug. If it automatically refreshes now, we just need to update the help file.
But why do we still need the refresh button then? Is it just for if we check that box, and then change a setting somewhere else? Whatever it is for, it might pay to make it really obvious whether a user needs to press it.

4. No, I think it will be quite rare, but a lot of recording programs do seem to record at 48,000 Hz by default.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#286 Post by zigbert »

disciple
If you intend to do some more work on the helpfile, please let me know.

I gave you wrong info the other day about helptext:

Code: Select all

-c - do NOT autodetect media. Multisession settings will be off by default.
I read this as multisession is not possible to do. The fact is that the parameters for multisession in the cdrecrord/growisofs command is not built automatically by Pburn, but the user may still edit it manually.

I want to add your name in the 'credits' notice. Do you have a real name?

Sigmund

zigbert

#287 Post by zigbert »

Woohoo! I don't know what you've done, but I'm pretty sure it opens quite a bit faster now in Dingo.
Everything is relative. Is it acceptable or still 'not-really-fast'.

disciple

#288 Post by disciple »

Everything is relative. Is it acceptable or still 'not-really-fast'.
It is fine thanks :)

No - I don't intend to do any work on the help file in the near future. It isn't perfect, but it should be easy enough to understand. The only thing I was thinking of was adding an explanation of what a buffer under-run is, but I don't think that is really necessary.
I read this as multisession is not possible to do. The fact is that the parameters for multisession in the cdrecrord/growisofs command is not built automatically by Pburn, but the user may still edit it manually.
No, I think it is right.
If you really want you could change it to something like "do NOT autodetect media. Pburn will not automatically turn on multisession settings".
Unless I'm misunderstanding what the -c option actually does - I must confess I don't quite understand where "autodetecting" comes into it, as I haven't looked at the code or actually burnt any multisession discs with Pburn.
Do you have a real name?
Alister Hood.
But if I am really annoying enough to go in the credits, I probably should have kept it secret :).

BTW have you considered VCD support? Someone else (Maybe Sunburnt ?)did a gui for making VCDs a while back, and I think it is actually very simple. The advantage of VCDs is that they can be played in virtually any PC with a CD drive, or any DVD player, so they really have maximum "compatibility". I can find more info if you'd like, it would just have to wait a few days until I'm less busy.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

reckrhodes

create a multiple puppies live cd

#289 Post by reckrhodes »

Hi zigbert and disciple,

First of all congratulations! :D

I would like you to know that I like so much the functionality of Pburn. 8)

I am using it to create my recently downloaded iso images into live cd's. :)

I really like to think that Pburn can create an iso image with multiple puppies in one live cd. Is it possible? or I am the one don't know where to start using this great puppy tool. :?

Sorry for a little bit off topic. :oops:

Nathan F

#290 Post by Nathan F »

Zigbert - could you add cddetect to the requirements list in the top post? It's not in all versions of Puppy and I'm just now adding it to Grafpup. Thanks.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

disciple

#291 Post by disciple »

reckrhodes - it is certainly possible, but pburn doesn't do it (except the actual burning). In fact, I don't think there is really much need for a gui to make a multi-boot iso, but some instructions would be nice.
I heard Gliezl (not sure of the spelling) had an .iso that would give you a choice of Puppies to boot, but I could never find any information on how to make one, and wasn't motivated enough to figure it out myself :)
I suspect if you looked at the actual files in a Puppy iso, it would be quite simple to figure out.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

dionicio

cdrecord on DVD burning, why?

#292 Post by dionicio »

Thanks a lot for answering me, zigbert.

:)

Just a user, don't think I can give you an elaborated answer,
but I will try to explain my reasons...

Past experience with all the puppy burners
made me think it is impossible to
burn a DVD iso with growisofs, dd copy to disk,
and then obtain the same checksums from the copy,

Copy has ALWAYS been bigger than the original.

Except If, in old versions of puppy, I used cdrecord.

:)

And on a far away second place,
I imagine that burning with a continuously beamed
laser is quite important for documentation.
Finding physical alterations in such media is easy.
When doing such task it does not matters if
rejected media when burning is higher.

zigbert

#293 Post by zigbert »

Disciple
If support of VCD is easy, why not? If you know about any good resources, please tell us.

Nathan F
I think we should get rid of cddetect. Barry is working on a simpler cddetect_quick which doesn't need to spin the disk. Though, the best would be to use only cdrkit. I guess there must be a way to detect disk with tools in that package? You have been through this before, do you have any knowledge?

dionicio
growisofs is a frontend of mkisofs and cdrecord. It means it can't do anything else than combine mkisofs with a pipe to cdrecord. It also autodetect settings for multisession, and set other options (as burnfree) as default.

But to your case. Do I understand you right: Copy a disk with growisofs, and the new copy is bigger than the original. Copy with cdrecord, both are equal.

Are you into this enough to give us an example and show us the commands with growisofs and mkisofs/cdrecord.

Sigmund

disciple

#294 Post by disciple »

Here is the thread where sunburnt made a gui for (s)vcd creation.

Basically you convert to the right video format with ffmpeg, make a .bin and a .cue file with vcdimager, then burn, so it should be extremely easy.
Except I had problems when I tried Sunburnt's gui, as it seemed my ffmpeg and vcdimager didn't accept quite the same parameters.

I can't see a package for vcdimager, so I think I must have compiled it.
http://www.gnu.org/software/vcdimager/vcdimager.html

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#295 Post by zigbert »

If we look into the future and imagine a Pburn 2.0. What should it be like?
I see 3 major issues on our todo-list.
1. video DVD with images in a slideshow with background music. This is doable with ffmpeg. No new requirements !!
2. VCD support. I'm no compiler, so I need help with vcdimager. Maybe disciple already are onto that?
3. Copy/shrink DVDs. I see this as a very basic function with few options. Advanced users should instead use a ripper/author program like plinej's.

Anything else????

Sigmund

disciple

#296 Post by disciple »

Attachments
vcdimager.bz2
(72.75 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#297 Post by disciple »

I don't know if you looked in that thread, but the person requesting the VCD gui gave simple instructions for how to make a VCD. Like I said, when I tried Sunburnt's gui the command line options didn't quite seem quite right for my vcdimager and/or ffmpeg, but they were very similar to what worked for me.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#298 Post by zigbert »

I tried get vcdimager to work in Puppy 4, but....no....

Code: Select all

# vcdimager   
vcdimager: error while loading shared libraries: libiso9660.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ln -s /usr/lib/libiso9660.so.5 /usr/lib/libiso9660.so.4

# vcdimager
vcdimager: error while loading shared libraries: libcdio.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ln -s /usr/lib/libcdio.so.7 /usr/lib/libcdio.so.6

# vcdimager
vcdimager: /usr/lib/libiso9660.so.4: version `ISO9660_4' not found (required by vcdimager)
vcdimager: /usr/lib/libcdio.so.6: version `CDIO_6' not found (required by vcdimager)

disciple

#299 Post by disciple »

Sorry - I didn't think of checking if it ran on Dingo. Programs that don't work if you have newer libs than they were compiled against are annoying :(

Try this one - it's compiled on Dingo, so hopefully it will work for you.
Attachments
vcdimager.bz2
(73.1 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#300 Post by zigbert »

Yepp!

Thanks a lot!
Sigmund