2.14x
29%
Other: 2.14x only
32%

Total votes: 38

Aitch

#2701 Post by Aitch »

My wish list is very short

ttuuxxx, please re-enable keyboard/language locale selection instead of auto-selecting US keyboard/locale at boot-up....

I did ask before, I know you're busy, but just for the Final Release is OK :D

Aitch :)

ttuuxxx

#2702 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi clarf that list is pretty small, slim pickin's lol Usually a release has more items than that, I guess that's what happens when your near the end of a release cycle. Which is good in someways. has anyone tried Pwireless2 Beta (kind of big, libgio is included in 2.14X so don't download it ) on 2.14X http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... h&id=25078
or
lameSMBxplorer
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 184#379184

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

davesurrey

#2703 Post by davesurrey »

Tried Pwireless2 in other puppies but not 214X as can't get the wifi driver working in 214X on my asus eee 901. Reported earlier.

I have mixed feelings about Pwireless2. For some who have had probs with wifi connection it seems to be better. But I find it far less intuitive than Network Wizard as it doesn't walk the noobie through the process. Horses for courses I guess.

Dave

EDIT:
Forgot to add to clarf's list of things to do before the Final release, may I plead the following again.
1. Now we have the ControlPanel app I don't think we need all the Setup>Wizards which clutter up that menu.
2. Also I still don't think putting ControlPanel in Personal is best. They are set-ups so why not put it in Setup Menu.
3. Please please can we change from the illogical "Calc" description of the desktop icon that doesn't bring up a calculator but brings up a spread-sheet. Call it Sheet or whatever but it constantly surprises folk around here.
4, tasmod/01micko's Startmount app would be nice to add.

Thanks as ever.
Last edited by davesurrey on Sat 09 Jan 2010, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

Roy

#2704 Post by Roy »

Ttuuxxx,

Please don't forget to add a default /dev/dvd link to hdc.

I really want to hand some of these puppies out to others!

-Roy

sinc

#2705 Post by sinc »

1. dave has been GREAT in helping me but i wholeheartedly disagree with him about pwireless2 and it not being user friendly. i have not tried it on 2.14x but i find it very easy to use. i think the old way confuses people when both options are available. when its just pwireless2 people figure it out and i love the way it works.

i agree that 2.14x is very stable and fast and ready to be final.

2. i have not tried this on 2.14x and can't access it right now but i always have this issue on other puppies i assume it would be the same but i need .wmv files automatically associated with gxine from firefox. EDIT: I tried it. It is not associated.

3. and truthfully some small program that can play powerpoint presentations would be nice. even without editing just reading. a lot of email forwards (that my dad reads, not me) come in .pps format and I have to use an .sfs and associate the files to get them to run. it would be nice to not have to do that.

4. vanred doesn't find my dvd player. i can't figure out how to tell it where it is.

thanks
Last edited by sinc on Sat 09 Jan 2010, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#2706 Post by pemasu »

Pwireless2. Bad thing for someone is that it just works. Good thing, the same.
Zigberts Stardust has it and I have been satisfied. I can setup wireless, but for me just working is enough.

With best regards

MinHundHettePerro

#2707 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Finalising 214X

I don't have anything to report or complain about on 214X in its present state :), I'm using it 90% of my computer time (there are still some heavy calculations that I need another distro for, and I'm also playing with dpup a bit).

Going final ?
In my view, why not?
But, the wireless people still have some minor issues, and, yes, 200 pages would make a rather impressive monument over this snappy, highly polished puppy :wink: :).
Roy wrote: Please don't forget to add a default /dev/dvd link to hdc.
Wouldn't suit me; my /dev/hdc is a CD-RW unit and my /dev/hdd is a DVD-RW unit. /mnt/cdrom -> /dev/hdc and /mnt/dvd -> /dev/hdd are created automatically, so I'm quite content with the present situation.

Cheers :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

clarf

#2708 Post by clarf »

Dave wrote:1. Now we have the ControlPanel app I don't think we need all the Setup>Wizards which clutter up that menu.
2. Also I still don't think putting ControlPanel in Personal is best. They are set-ups so why not put it in Setup Menu.
1. There are some few things in Setup-Wizard that can´t be found in the Control Panel, regular Puppy users could miss it. I vote to keep it as is.

2. Totally agree. It should be in the top of Setup menu, also a link on Desktop like dpup would be great.

I had some problems with Pwireless in 214X as I reported long time ago (like page 30), it freezes my system each time I try to load or save a profile.

Pwirless2 seems to work better.

clarf

clarf

#2709 Post by clarf »

Guys,

I have some progress today with dbclient GUI, It works but still I have to figure how to include profile settings....

Some screenshots:

clarf
Attachments
dropbear_Server_client-server.gif
dropbear taskbar after Server started and dbclient frontend
(63.18 KiB) Downloaded 874 times
dropbear_Client_frontend.gif
Client frontend
(25.62 KiB) Downloaded 898 times

linuxsansdisquedur

#2710 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

:( The only way puppy 2.14X become pizzapup successor on my old diskless pc ?
:D keyboard/language locale selection at boot-up !
le max avec le min

Aitch

#2711 Post by Aitch »

ttuuxxx, please don't skip over my previous post, easily forgotten

2nd that request, linuxsansdisquedur - my previous... :wink:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/postin ... ESC#379998

Barry comments on Pwireless2 here

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01319

both wireless setup & 3G setup are still in flux/needing work

many wireless queries I answer seem to stem from either insufficient info about setting up security wep/wpa etc,

or dns failures, because local routers aren't connecting with ISP nameservers, and issue 169.254.x.x,....

There maybe a timing issue there as some devices haven't finished loading before the attempt to fetch dns happens, I think [??]

usb_modeswitch has been updated for 3G, but isn't in puppy yet

Aitch :)

davesurrey

#2712 Post by davesurrey »

Hi sinc.
Long time no speaky.
Don't be concerned that we may not agree about Pwireless2. Everyone's opinion is equally valid here. But I do agree with you that having both would add to any confusion. Anyway ttuuxxx is the boss. :-)

Re vanred, I believe it needs a DVD to be inserted before it will run. But I guess you know this.

Hi clarf
Yes I appreciate that there are wizards in the Setup Menu that aren't in ControlPanel but could not these Wizards that are in ControlPanel be eliminated for brevity? A sort of compromise?

Cheers
Dave

clarf

#2713 Post by clarf »

davesurrey wrote: Hi clarf
Yes I appreciate that there are wizards in the Setup Menu that aren't in ControlPanel but could not these Wizards that are in ControlPanel be eliminated for brevity? A sort of compromise?

Cheers
Dave
Well some Setup options are certainly duplicated in other places. We could replace Modem, Firewall and Network Wizard entries with just one entry "Internet Connection Wizard" :wink: , they already can be found in Internet Connection Wizard and in the Control Panel app.
MinHundHettePerro wrote:Roy wrote:
Please don't forget to add a default /dev/dvd link to hdc.

Wouldn't suit me; my /dev/hdc is a CD-RW unit and my /dev/hdd is a DVD-RW unit. /mnt/cdrom -> /dev/hdc and /mnt/dvd -> /dev/hdd are created automatically, so I'm quite content with the present situation.
It doesn´t suit my configuration either (/dev/dvd -> /dev/hdd) and its not needed in anyway, that link is created automatically at startup.

if You use the CD/DVD Drive Wizard found in Setup Menu, you can easily look at the Device Links and you can change the Default Drivers (CD, DVD and Burn) from here :wink: . You missed that application Roy. :shock: It supports Dave´s comment about too many Setup Menu entries...

clarf

davesurrey

#2714 Post by davesurrey »

sinc wrote
and truthfully some small program that can play powerpoint presentations would be nice.
I tend to use the buly Openoffice or now the more compact Softmaker for reading ppt files but I did see that there is a pet called tonicpoint.pet (I think pizzasgood made it??) which may do what you want. But I haven't tried it and just know it exists. May be worth a google (incidentally I think they own the company now.)

Cheers
Dave

MinHundHettePerro

#2715 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

I do like the Setup Menu Wizards, at least the "Xorg Video Wizard", which I need to run xvidtune (214X is offset horizontally compared to other puppies/distros(, no worries, looks like it's just a different refresh-rate in this xorg :?))

MHHP

davesurrey

#2716 Post by davesurrey »

Hi MHHP
I do like the Setup Menu Wizards, at least the "Xorg Video Wizard",
I'm not saying get rid of any wizards. Rather I'm saying if they are in ControlPanel then take the duplicate one out of the Setup menu to avoid clutter.

Cheers
Dave

MinHundHettePerro

#2717 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Now, if I only could get analogue TV-in support for my ATi rage 128 All-in-wonder card :wink: :wink: :) :) (no luck from the Gatos project, they support all other cards, but claim that support for my card is discontinued, before it was ever supported :), (and I did read the disciple/tempestuous threads on analogue TV)).
That would just top everything off :D :D

MyDogWasCalledPerro

MinHundHettePerro

#2718 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

davesurrey wrote:Hi MHHP
I do like the Setup Menu Wizards, at least the "Xorg Video Wizard",
I'm not saying get rid of any wizards. Rather I'm saying if they are in ControlPanel then take the duplicate one out of the Setup menu to avoid clutter.

Cheers
Dave
I agree on un-cluttering ...
A polished first-glance-appearance means everything ...

MHHP

MinHundHettePerro

#2719 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

On .ppt

I 'ave to read 'em and I 'ave to make 'em ... :x :) :)

OOo220 is often a good substitute for MS-PPT (I do check 'em in Wine/MS-PPT (or on an XP-box) before presenting them, though)

MHHP

davesurrey

#2720 Post by davesurrey »

MHHP
MyDogWasCalledPerro
My knowledge of Swedish is near zero but do I detect you have lost your dog?
In which case I am very sorry and send you my best wishes.
Dave