Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#261 Post by playdayz »

***Super Multimedia Upgrade***

The Super Multimedia Upgrade contains the latest version of Mplayer, using the latest ffmpeg 0.8.2+. It also contains the latest version of Pmusic 2.0.2, as well as some supporting files.

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

ffmpeg is updated from the current 0.6.1--that's not as big a jump as it might seem, since 0.7.3 and 0.8.2 were released the same day--the chief difference being that 0.7.3 has most of the features of 0.8.2 but with more compatibility--in this Super Upgrade we go for the very latest! Pmusic is upgraded from 1.8.3, so it is also a version upgrade.

Mplayer is now "self-contained" meaning that the ffmpeg multimedia libraries are built-in to Mplayer, so it does not have to depend on whatever is installed in the system. This makes it larger, but the approach makes sense to me because now Mplayer knows that it has the latest libraries because it downloads them itself, and it also knows exactly what it has, rather than hoping the system libraries are in order.

It might improve your video to open gnome-mplayer and Edit -> Preferences -> Video output -> xv.

Pmusic 2.0.2 was released SEP 12 2011. For information on Pmusic 2.0.2 please see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 06&t=31206

When we get some feedback here, I will add the Super Multimedia Upgrade to the first message of this thread and to LupuNews. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***Sylpheed 3.1.2***

gortonc, This is a pet of the latest Sylpheed, released SEP 08 2011.

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... cid528.pet
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

ASRI éducation

#262 Post by ASRI éducation »

playdayz wrote:***Super Multimedia Upgrade***
Hi playdayz,
Thank you for this multimedia package.
I just have one question.
I do not understand the presence of a /tmp directory in the package.
Misnomer? tmp => root?
Respectfully.

playdayz

#263 Post by playdayz »

ASRI éducation wrote:
playdayz wrote:***Super Multimedia Upgrade***
Hi playdayz,
Thank you for this multimedia package.
I just have one question.
I do not understand the presence of a /tmp directory in the package.
Misnomer? tmp => root?
Respectfully.
The /tmp directory comes from Pmusic. Ah, I see, I think the pinstall would use it, but I removed the pinstall because it set up Pmusic as defaultaudioplayer. The items in the temp directory would modify the right-click menu. I will remove it. Good eye. Thanks.

You could ignore it and it would be deleted on shutdown. The current link does not have it.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 21:00, edited 2 times in total.

ASRI éducation

#264 Post by ASRI éducation »

I really appreciate your reactivity. :wink:

bigpup

#265 Post by bigpup »

Super Multimedia Upgrade testing.

Well Gnome Mplayer is still not very good for movie DVD play.
It does play a movie, but many little buggy things happen. I could list all of them, but lets just say a lot of things do not do what is expected.

What version of Gnome Mplayer should I be seeing?

For example:
I get selection pointers, from the movie menu, in the movie when playing.
Attachments
GnomeMplayer.jpg
(25.13 KiB) Downloaded 1356 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#266 Post by playdayz »

Super Multimedia Upgrade testing.

Well Gnome Mplayer is still not very good for movie DVD play.
Yes, I basically agree. I strongly recommend XineDVD for watching DVD's. XineDVD behaves and looks like a DVD player that people are used to--that's why it is now included. If a user clicks a DVD, XineDVD will open and play it. However, people reasonably expect the default media player to play DVD's and gnome-mplayer does do that. It opens DVD with menu, except sometimes the selection indicator is off (that is a gnome-mplayer problem I believe, not an mplayer problem. I will test Smplayer.).

You should still see gnome-mplayer 1.0.3. Gnome-mplayer 1.0.4 has the bug about playing cd's. There are versions in svn of 1.0.4+ with the bug fix supposedly but Kevin DeKorte is now including a new library (gmtk). 1.0.4+ didn't compile nicely for me, so I decided to wait for the release of 1.0.5 before trying again.

There is a certain irony here. The Linux principle has always been one tool per job, but we want a media player that does everything. If we weren't a compact distro, I would include Audacious for playing audio, gnome-mplayer for videos, and XineDVD for DVD's. That's what I do at home.

I should say Pmusic is a wonderful audio player for most people. However, I always have 6,000 or so tracks loaded and Pmusic can't do that. Pmusic 2 has some great features about album art and so forth that imho richen the listening experience and it also allows changing which sound card it plays through.

Some people might find Smplayer or Umplayer all-in-one solutions, if they like watching all the previews on a DVD instead of going right to the menu, or clicking >> to skip them one by one. Every time I test I conclude that nothing is even close to XineDVD. Well, sometimes in XineDVD you have to click N and then Menu Toggle to go directly to the menu. And then there is VLC, of which I have little experience.

I also know that XineDVD is very good about supporting multi-channel surround sound cards, 4.1, 5.1, etc.

Finally, mplayer has its own mplauer gui, but it wouldn't allow me to turn subtitles off, so I didn't include it. The bottom line is, you guessed it, play DVD's with XineDVD. ;-)

gortonc

Sylpheed update?

#267 Post by gortonc »

Thanks Playdayz.

Just one more question - can I just instal the .pet or, do I need to uninstall the existing Sylpheed first, also will it retain my acct data. Sorry, I guess that is two questions ;-)

Chris

playdayz

#268 Post by playdayz »

Thanks Playdayz.

Just one more question - can I just instal the .pet or, do I need to uninstall the existing Sylpheed first, also will it retain my acct data. Sorry, I guess that is two questions
Just install the pet and the next time you start Sylpheed it will be 3.1.2. It will retain your data.

maxpro4u

wireless

#269 Post by maxpro4u »

When using simple network setup-it doesn't connect upon reboot but using Dougal's it works fine upon reboot. D-Link pci card.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

playdayz

#270 Post by playdayz »

When using simple network setup-it doesn't connect upon reboot but using Dougal's it works fine upon reboot. D-Link pci card.
That's good. I would really like to establish the principle that Lucid always has a backup plan--if booting to the desktop doesn't work, then we have xorgwizard, etc. If SNS doesn't work we have Network Wizard, and then behind that we even have Frisbee ready to install.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***Pburn 3.3.6*** & ***Super Multimedia Upgrade***

I meant to put it into the Super Multimedia Upgrade. Oh well;. Here is is. Same difference. It needs some files from the Super Multimedia Upgrade.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 757#155668

Ha-Ha. The jokes on me. I did put it in, but 3.3.6 identifies itself as 3.3.5.

Or maybe not. I'm confused. But this version definitely has Pburn 3.3.6, even though it still identifies itself as 3.3.5

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***Chromium 16***

Requires installation of Instant Update 001
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 28-001.pet

ASRI éducation

#271 Post by ASRI éducation »

I get an error when launching Inkscape (installed via Quickpet).
cf. screenshot.

playdayz

#272 Post by playdayz »

I get an error when launching Inkscape (installed via Quickpet).
cf. screenshot.
Hmmm. It starts for me, in Lucid 5.2.8 with the Instant Update 001 and the Super Multimedia Upgrade installed. It does throw some warnings in a terminal, but they are not the fatal bus error that you get.

I will have to experiment some more. Thanks.

Try this. It is from portablelinuxapps.com. However, it still throws gtk warnings when it starts, but it *seems* not to throw any when it is running. Since that is the same thing that the 0.47 pet in Quickpet does, I am not totally optimistic. Inkscape is a nasty thing to compile because it needs a whole lot of dependencies--so I gave up on that.

Thanks because in playing with this I found the solution to the gtk errors I mentioned--Ubuntu has updated the libgtk used in Lucid and with the new one -> no errors.

Oh, I'll post it in a minute ;-)

->->-> libgtk-2.20.1 <-<-<-

This is an update from Ubuntu and it prevents excessive numbers of gtk warnings being thrown by inkscape (not inkscape lite). I would bet it did other good things. It should be in the next update unless testers find problems. Thanks..

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... cid528.pet
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 00:50, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#273 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Any help you could give with this sound problem in Lucid 5.2.8?
The topic starts here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71637

Another similar issue here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 705#563705
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#274 Post by playdayz »

Concerning sound, these are my recommendations

Is it a fresh install of 5.2.8?
What pet was installed and uninstalled? If a problem began when a pet was installed/uninstalled, we must know what pet.
Was the Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2.8 applied?

0. Open retrovol and make sure all volumes are turned up
1. Use alsawizard
2. Try pfix=ram/fresh install of Lucid 5.2.8
3. Try pfix=ram/fresh install of Three-Headed Dog.
4. ask rerwin
5. try Slacko or Fatdog64 or use Lucid 5.2.56

Likely there is some problem with sound/alsa when upgrading from 5.2.5 to 5.2.8. I saw a problem once myself but it was only that I needed to turn up the volumes in retrovol. I strongly recommend that one begins with a fresh install rather than an upgrade.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 14:01, edited 3 times in total.

nooby

#275 Post by nooby »

bigpup wrote:Playdayz,

The topic starts here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71637

Another similar issue here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 705#563705
I guess I should have answered there instead of here.

what if it is same phenomena with sound as it is with some LAN cards
them are protected either by BIOS or some other internal security thing.

Some puppies always did kill my LAN card and the only way to get it back
was to shut down the computer and to take out the battery and unplug
the power cord and let the Capacitors that hold the Voltage to slowly die out
and then to start up and the LAN card was working again.
To test if everything else fail to get the sound going!
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rerwin

modeswitch 1.1.9 -- analog dialup modem drivers available!

#276 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
Although I thought I sent you the latest version of usb_modeswitch (1.1.9) for lupu528, I see that the release contains version 1.1.8. There is nothing wrong with 1.1.8, but we advertised 1.1.9. So, here it is.

In my testing of dialup modems, I discovered a bug in the firmware initialization script for SmartLink modems that prevents use of the "slamr" driver. I include the corrected firmware tarball in the attached package, along with "1.1.9".

But my big news is that I have compiled all of the dialup modem drivers and have posted them here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 112#564112
They should reduce any urgency for creating a retro version of 528 for modem users.

The only modems missing from the new drivers are the SmartLink PCI and USB modems, which are supported as of kernel 2.6.30, but apparently not beyond. The SL firmware in the package is there for consistency with my upgrades for lupu525 and puppies based on 4.3.1 -- and in case those drivers ever become viable again.

As an experiment, I made a clean (pfix=ram) remaster of 5.2.8 after installation of the Instant Update, the attached package, and all of the new modem-driver packages. It appears to work just fine. Please consider the attachment for inclusion in the next Instant Update package. Thanks.
Richard

playdayz

#277 Post by playdayz »

Please consider the attachment for inclusion in the next Instant Update package. Thanks.
Also to be included in the next version of Three-Headed Dog, which I am currently working on so this is timely. Thanks.

photor

two bugs

#278 Post by photor »

I report two bugs (Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 with Instant Update 001):
1. The "Music Player" and "Search" in "Default-Programs-Chooser" don't work (always left blank what ever you chose last time).
2. The "Pudd copy drive/partition" doesn't work for drive copy (popup the "Usage for Xdialog" after click "Choose drive").

ETP

Chromium 16

#279 Post by ETP »

On 13 Sep 2011 playdayz wrote:
Chromium 16 running fine in 5.2.8 having first uninstalled 15.
It seems to have regained some of the speed that it had in version 10.
Attachments
image-10.png
(30.92 KiB) Downloaded 1552 times

ASRI éducation

#280 Post by ASRI éducation »

Based on the 528, the ASRI Edu 300 FR is available in RC.
- ASRI Teachers Edu 300 (246Mb) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68656
- ASRI Kids Edu 300 (687Mb) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47805
Sincerely,