OLD: mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
RayCtech

#261 Post by RayCtech »

Removed - possibly OT
Last edited by RayCtech on Tue 28 Aug 2012, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.

Douwe01nl

32 bit upsampling

#262 Post by Douwe01nl »

Thanks for this explanation RayCtech, my choice for 32 bit was based on listening in a former (cMP2) setup, not on theory. I always assumed that 32 bit was more native to the os, and thought that was the reason for better SQ.
My modded Benchmark DAC1 is always oversampling 2/4/8 times to max 192.000
In a former cMP2-machine it was not possible to do upsampling in realtime, so i upsampled off line to 88.200/32 (sox). Files of 176.400/32 would be too big in size (16 GB for one CD).
32bit sounded definitely better then 24 bit.

In my current mpdpup-setup i can compare (different files of same song):
1. 44.100/16 files, oversampled by DAC to 176.400/16
2. 44.100/16 files, upsampled to 176.400/32 by mpdpup (sox)
3. 88.200/32 files , oversampled by DAC to 176.400/32
4. 88.200/32 files, upsampled by mpdpup (sox) to 176.400/32bit
In my setup 4 is best, though differences are much more subtle than in the cMP2-setup:
3 sounds better than 1
4 sounds better than 2

-EDIT- listened again
very difficult to hear difference (if any) between 4 and 2.
will try no upsampling by mpdpup later

I have only a few cd's in 96.000 and accept interpolation in these few cases.

thisisvv

Thank you

#263 Post by thisisvv »

I just logged in/register to say thank you...this is what EXACTLY i wanted to do and you guys did a wonderful job...

currently MPD is running on a desktop i bought from ebay for 24$( yes 24$) configuration is

Celeron , 512 MB ram and NO HARD DRIVE...controlled by MPD client from android device....

MPD boots from USB and loads everything in RAM...so far it has even been able to run a 24 /96 100MB file from NAS server

My system is

NAS (Freenas) -> MPD -> USB DAC(peachtree max 24/96 )->Speakers....

and i can humbly say some songs i feel come up better on MPD and some on Windows 7 machine connected to same DAC thropugh optical....

anyhow this entire Rant was to say thank you...in my opinion this Transport beats i think easily $$$$ transport one i heard and i can say this keep on its own...

One question can this MPD can play m4a files??...

Also i ordered an ODAC which is a SABRE chip too and will update my results...in meanwhile any recomendations you guys recomened....

V

ldolse

Re: Thank you

#264 Post by ldolse »

thisisvv wrote:anyhow this entire Rant was to say thank you...in my opinion this Transport beats i think easily $$$$ transport one i heard and i can say this keep on its own...
Hi thisvv, welcome to the forums and thanks for giving mpdPup a try, glad it's working well for you thus far. Keep us posted as to your progress.

As far as further tweaks go, if you read back a couple pages in this thread several users have been playing with advanced alsa settings - at the moment it requires hand editing to files, you can use the command line to do it:
nano /etc/mpd.conf
nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Refer to the previous posts for the lines you need to change - if you're not comfortable editing files by hand I'm integrating options to tweak those settings from the wizard in the next release.
thisisvv wrote:One question can this MPD can play m4a files??...
Depends on the kind of m4a. Compressed m4a works fine, but there appears to be a problem with Apple Lossless at the moment - I compiled support for it, but forgot to test it until recently, and it doesn't appear to actually work - Apple Lossless and WMA are both codecs I'll be validating for the next release.

RayCtech

#265 Post by RayCtech »

Idolse,

I discovered that UNetbootin when run from OSX does not make a USB stick bootable if there is more than one partition...

I have now partitioned the 8 and 16GB USB sticks and verified that there is no problems to install and boot mpdPup.

But I got a new issue on the Atom board.
When starting X the fonts is to small to be readable...
This problem I have experienced once before with Linux Mint debian...

ldolse

#266 Post by ldolse »

RayCtech wrote:I discovered that UNetbootin when run from OSX does not make a USB stick bootable if there is more than one partition...

I have now partitioned the 8 and 16GB USB sticks and verified that there is no problems to install and boot mpdPup.
Great - I'll update the how-to to cover that then, didn't realize Unetbootin would even let you install on a multi-partition thumb drive.
RayCtech wrote:But I got a new issue on the Atom board.
When starting X the fonts is to small to be readable...
This problem I have experienced once before with Linux Mint debian...
The simple workaround is to probably to choose a lower resolution - just type ctrl-alt-del to get out of x, and then 'xorgwizard' at the CLI to choose another resolution - the proper fix would be to create a new JWM theme and swap the theme (probably in xorgwizard) based on the some resolution threshold. I haven't played around with tweaking JWM much myself just yet, but there is a lot of information floating around this forum on how to do it, as most versions of Puppy use that window manager.

RayCtech

#267 Post by RayCtech »

ldolse wrote:The simple workaround is to probably to choose a lower resolution - just type ctrl-alt-del to get out of x, and then 'xorgwizard' at the CLI to choose another resolution - the proper fix would be to create a new JWM theme and swap the theme (probably in xorgwizard) based on the some resolution threshold. I haven't played around with tweaking JWM much myself just yet, but there is a lot of information floating around this forum on how to do it, as most versions of Puppy use that window manager.
No changing resolution does not work as the fonts is unreadable whatsoever resolution..

Do not use your time on this problem as the Atom board have poor graphics support in Linux.

ldolse

#268 Post by ldolse »

I'll fast-track a link to an alpha build of the next release, will PM you - I've already built the latest intel drivers as discussed before, cross fingers that that makes a difference. I'm using an older Atom board and it works pretty well, though admittedly I had to hard-code some special hacks for the i915 driver.

tempestuous

#269 Post by tempestuous »

thisisvv wrote:My system is
USB DAC (peachtree max 24/96)
thisisvv wrote:i ordered an ODAC which is a SABRE chip too and will update my results
...in meanwhile any recommendations you guys recommend....
I'm guessing you have the Peachtree DAC.iT, which has the "entry-level" ESS Sabre D/A chip - the ES9023, plus the Tenor TE7022 USB receiver chip.
The ODAC uses the same two basic components. The differences come down to external power supply + USB isolation (Peachtree) versus bus-powering (ODAC).
Apart from these design differences, the two products may be considered quite similar.
Sure, it's feasible they will sound different, but I don't imagine the level of difference will justify an extra purchase on your part.

If you want a step up, I suggest you consider the "Audio Widget", as mentioned earlier in this thread. It was co-developed by the same guy who designed the ODAC. Early versions used the same ES9023 DAC chip, but the current releases use either the TI PCM5102 or the AKM AK4430, which the developers say are both better.
More significantly, it has one of the new generation of (programmed) USB receivers.

DIY version is here -
http://www.yoyodyneconsulting.ca/pages/YC-USB5102.html

Fully assembled "AB-1.2" version is here -
http://www.qnktc.com/usb.php

PET-240

#270 Post by PET-240 »

That and the tenor chip may have issues with Linux I've read. I have one dac with one but am yet to connect in anger.
Just to be aware.

tempestuous

#271 Post by tempestuous »

I have heard that the Tenor chip is supported in Linux, at least the TE7022 anyway. I think it's the newer 192kHz-capable TE8022 which is only partly compatible.
In any case, thisisvv has already reported that the Peachtree DAC works with mpdPup. The proof is in the pudding.

Regarding the Audio Widget - this is tested and known to work with Linux.
All it requires is a version of the snd-usb-audio (ALSA) driver which is UAC2-compatible. Effectively, this means kernel 2.6.39 or higher.
Sorry, I don't know what kernel mpdPup is running.

When ordering the Audio Widget, you should specify that you want the Linux version of firmware installed. This is not generally necessary, but it deals with problems otherwise caused if you play audio files with different samplerates.

RayCtech

#272 Post by RayCtech »

Removed - possibly OT
Last edited by RayCtech on Tue 28 Aug 2012, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

ldolse

#273 Post by ldolse »

tempestuous wrote:Regarding the Audio Widget - this is tested and known to work with Linux.
All it requires is a version of the snd-usb-audio (ALSA) driver which is UAC2-compatible. Effectively, this means kernel 2.6.39 or higher.
Sorry, I don't know what kernel mpdPup is running.
mpdPup is 2.6.39-4, so should be good in this respect.

thisisvv

#274 Post by thisisvv »

tempestuous wrote: If you want a step up, I suggest you consider the "Audio Widget", as mentioned earlier in this thread. It was co-developed by the same guy who designed the ODAC. Early versions used the same ES9023 DAC chip, but the current releases use either the TI PCM5102 or the AKM AK4430, which the developers say are both better.
More significantly, it has one of the new generation of (programmed) USB receivers.

DIY version is here -
http://www.yoyodyneconsulting.ca/pages/YC-USB5102.html

Fully assembled "AB-1.2" version is here -
http://www.qnktc.com/usb.php
Yup i am using peachtree decco2....and that thread made me order one now i am waiting for AB1.2 DAC....lets see how that sounds now...

so far i am highly imrepssed with this MPD only thing it takes sometime from my android client to connect when it first boots...

V

PET-240

Streaming from Bitcasa

#275 Post by PET-240 »

Gday Idolse,

Just curious, will mpdpup be able to stream from something such as bitcasa instead of a local network drive?
Would you have a suggestion to do this?
Haven't had much time to play recently so have been lurking a little,

Thanks,

Drew.

ldolse

Re: Streaming from Bitcasa

#276 Post by ldolse »

PET-240 wrote:Just curious, will mpdpup be able to stream from something such as bitcasa instead of a local network drive?
Would you have a suggestion to do this?
Assuming the service has a Linux client (bitcasa has an alpha client), and assuming that client locates it's data at a standard Unix path, then it could be doable. Highly unlikely that such a service would be able to provide sufficient bandwidth to stream lossless audio though. This isn't something I'd be willing to spend much time supporting, but by all means feel free to hack on things.

PET-240

#277 Post by PET-240 »

Hey Idolse,

I don't mind setting up a pc to drag it down etc but am quite sick of windoze as I forget to open said window before I throw it.
Do you have a suggestion regarding OS that would be able to be "controlled" remotely via a pad of some sort to download to local hdd?
Are you aware if something like freenas could do this?

Cheers,

Drew.

ldolse

#278 Post by ldolse »

There are dozens of inexpensive network attached storage solutions that don't require you to use a Windows PC. On my own network I use an airport extreme with a Drobo attached.

A few options (google for many more):
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/network/networkstorage/
http://www.synology.com.tw/index.php?lang=default
http://www.drobo.com/products/professio ... /index.php
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/storage/

Basically just make sure it can talk SMB/CIFS (any windows compatible solution will) and it will work fine with mpdPup.

thisisvv

any chance of internet sites

#279 Post by thisisvv »

i know this is real off topic but now adays lot of music i have is in grooveshark or spotify...

anypossible to hear that from this distro....

again thought to ask rather then assume not possible...

again love the simplicity this provides...thie mpd has been able to stream 250MB 24/96 bit file on wireless network without any issues...

ldolse

Re: any chance of internet sites

#280 Post by ldolse »

thisisvv wrote:i know this is real off topic but now adays lot of music i have is in grooveshark or spotify...

anypossible to hear that from this distro....

again thought to ask rather then assume not possible...

again love the simplicity this provides...thie mpd has been able to stream 250MB 24/96 bit file on wireless network without any issues...
Hi thisvv, not terribly off-topic. MPD 0.17 added spotify support - I was debating whether to compile in support for it as I needed to add a new library to the new build, but your question has clinched things for me :)

No idea on Grooveshark though, I don't have any experience with the service and it wasn't one of the services added to 0.17.