Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G 185M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Barburo

5d

#261 Post by Barburo »

Hi TazOC,
Just fired up 5D - used a copy of the 5c save file and did the update - process was easy - got an error on configuring wbar - found that the app that caused it was streamtuner - I load that .sfs at boot time. I also got the KDE failure but the .pet fixed it. Connect wireless has the messages repositioned ( and it says what it's connecting to) - and works pretty well for me. Thanks for this add-odd.

Re: LXDE - I was using it in 5C with C-F and noticed a few anomalies. I have seen it lose my background to black and sometimes the icons do not have the correct titles under them, just squares as placeholders. Also under C-F the panel appears as a running process in the taskbar as I reported before. Reloading X seems to clear the "squares" problem. Running without C-F sometimes gives the squares problem also.These are small glitches though - LXDE performs well overall, and it's the only WM other than KDE that supports C-F.

Have tried C-F in KDE and it works fine - one small thing - if you have the left panel set to auto-hide then C-F prevents it from showing - just a small glitch.

I don't mind the old "hello and goodbye" audio. It reminds me of where Puppy has come from and how far it's progressed.

Sleep now - will continue testing later.
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

Jim1911

#262 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi TazOC,

KDE4 starts fine now, your pet worked. My report on LXDE was slightly in error, the screen didn't go black, it was the wallpaper background that changed to black, otherwise LXDE appears to be working fine.

Consider adding Eudora OSE which is an Open Source Edition based on Thunderbird code. It's rc1 and works great in Lupu-5.

Cheers,
Jim :D :D :D :D :D

tazoc

#263 Post by tazoc »

8-bit wrote:I actually got tired of the audio files that play on bootup and restart of LHP and decided to remedy that.
I did so by renaming /usr/share/audio/join.wav and leave.wav to BAK*.
With * being the original name of the audio file.
Yes that works. If you just want different sounds, open /usr/share/audio folder, and change login.wav and logout.wav symlinks to point at desired .wav files.

For KDE4 login/logout sounds, open System Settings | Notifications | click on Event source: drop-down | KDE System Notifications.
Also, I dislike the default Abiword file that appears when I start Abiword.
Is this just a matter of renaming the info file and creating a blank one with the same name?
That was a workaround for a bug where the empty page fails to draw at startup. To try the default Abiword template, open /root/.AbiSuite/templates, rename normal.awt to normal.awt.bak, then rename normal-default.awt to normal.awt. Then when you open Abiword, you may have to scroll down and back up to see the page--hence the workaround.

Hi Jim1911 and Barburo,
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. C-F also works with the Xfce4 add-on window manager. I didn't know that C-F interferes with the KDE panel auto-hide. That happened to me once and if I recall, I restored the panels with option 7 of Wbar | LookNFeel KDE.
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

8-bit

#264 Post by 8-bit »

I downloaded the delta file for updating Lighthouse-500-Mariner-c.iso to D and I could not get it to work with Xdelta until I renamed the extension from xdelta3 to delta.
At that point, Xdelta was able to create newfile.iso.
Without renaming the downloaded file, all that happened was a delta file was created.
I thought I would pass that along.

Sage

#265 Post by Sage »

Another stunning offering from tz absolutely ruined by the default browser choice! And, associated with that, the absence of a decent email client, eg Claws, Eudora OSE 1.0rc.

Jim1911

#266 Post by Jim1911 »

Sage wrote:Another stunning offering from tz absolutely ruined by the default browser choice! And, associated with that, the absence of a decent email client, eg Claws, Eudora OSE 1.0rc.
Ruined, definitely an overstatement, TazOC's super LHP is very reliable and has goodies for every user, default browser is easily changed if you don't like the default, and Eudora OSE is based on Mozilla Thunderbird code and Thunderbird is included.

tazoc

#267 Post by tazoc »

8-bit wrote:I downloaded the delta file for updating Lighthouse-500-Mariner-c.iso to D and I could not get it to work with Xdelta until I renamed the extension from xdelta3 to delta.
At that point, Xdelta was able to create newfile.iso.
Without renaming the downloaded file, all that happened was a delta file was created.
I thought I would pass that along.
Are you using xdelta on an xdelta3 file? In ROX-Filer, just right-click on the xdelta3 file and choose Xdelta3GUI. Or in a terminal type

Code: Select all

xdelta3 -vd LighthousePup-5.00-C-D_Mariner.iso.xdelta3
Sage wrote:Another stunning offering from tz absolutely ruined by the default browser choice! And, associated with that, the absence of a decent email client, eg Claws, Eudora OSE 1.0rc.
I respectfully disagree. You are free to build a puplet with your choices, if you wish. SeaMonkey is not just a browser, it also includes Composer html editor, Mail & News, all only 14M compressed. Eudora OSE is 12M with no browser. Opera and Chrome web browser SFS are available and Claws can be installed with Gslapt or PPM. Personally I would rather support Mozilla offerings than Qualcomm or Google however I will look at Eudora OSE when 1.0 is final.
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

gcmartin

SeaMonkey versus Firefox

#268 Post by gcmartin »

Hummm
Don't know whether the stars or the moon cycle is responsible but, there seems to be a ground-swell of persons pushing the groups who are sweating to bring us a better PUP5, Quirky, FATDOG64, and Lighthouse. These groups have produced a extremely functional product. The efforts to push the groups is IMHO counter productive to the enhancements they are wrestling with, in the form of drivers and program upgrades that are useful to all of us, at large.

Anyway, even though I have ask to have my FATDOG64 topic removed, it you don't like SeaMonkey, see my Firefox Post.

This posting, here, is not to ensue discussion...merely to ask to let these group focus on the presentation of enhanced, stable distros versus having to battle those of us disgruntled because our favorite toy is not present.

In summary, I am NOT trying to arouse or offend anyone here by my comments.

I respect @tazoc for his candor, here, on this subject.

While we're on the subject of SeaMonkey, has anyone seen a plug-in for "Shut my mouth".

smellyman

#269 Post by smellyman »

Tazoc,

Must say I am digging this pup. First time I have utilized all the various sfs files and it works brilliantly so far. Only issue was KDE and the missing library, but that was quickly fixed thanks to this thread.

Just a couple of noob questions about LHpup. I saw earlier in the thread that it is a mixture of lots of pups, is it mostly slackpup based or lupu or quirky etc. Just curious on how you built this pup because it seems very intensive. Maybe a frankenpup? :), but it works great and having so many DE's is amazing and fun to play with.

I also always hated KDE, but with what you did with it, Puppy and KDE seem to be made for each other..

Anyway, keep up the great work.

cthisbear

#270 Post by cthisbear »

gcmartin:

Stay happy old mate.

As for

>> has anyone seen a plug-in for "Shut my mouth". <<

WhoDo and Mick0
are always sending me that Pet.

Now where is it?

Regards....Chris.

Sage

#271 Post by Sage »

Your respect is appreciated, tz. SM has caused me so much grief over the years. At 233Mb, I don't really care if it rises to 243 or even 250; now, 50Mb is an entirely different story. Better to have the world's fastest browser, a well respected standalone email client and a proper HTML reader/writer, or comprehensive office suite in lieu.
My comment was, of course. a backhanded compliment. It remains my view that such a nice piece of work is spoilt by a single/triple shortcoming. But then, Fatdog64 does have some attraction. As gcm reluctantly admits, there is indeed a rising groundswell in support of my contention regarding SM, and of which I have never made any secret. As for the Mozilla foundation, some divisions fail to impress They certainly have made a hash of Eudora since Qualcomm gifted it to them. There was a time when every top secretary in the USA used Eudora on their home PC, even if disallowed in their office.

Barburo

5d

#272 Post by Barburo »

Hi Taz,
I seem unable to get C-F 0.7.9-1f to run at all in 5D. It worked fine in 5C. I tried C-F in KDE, LXDE and Xfce too. To be sure I did a clean install and retried with same C-F sfs. Same problem: not recognized. Operator error or ... ?

I got to my 5D save file from 5B and 5C through the upgrade route, as I have lots of little customizations and add-ons that are a pain to re-do each time. I was testing out the Xscreensavers in Voyager and found them to be running slowly and a bit jerkily. I then saw that most of the GL screen savers were now available within KDE. (Did you put them there?) I did a little testing with sproingies because it uses lots of video resources, and found it ran faster in KDE than in the Xscreensaver but still not at the rate that I would expect. I did a comparison using AntInspect and found that both had slower FPS than the 3D test. Thought that maybe something got messed up along the way through pets I'd installed and uninstalled, so I did a clean pfix=ram install (frugal of course) and went through the set up process (2 reboots) to get a working KDE after including the pet fix.
Result - sproingies now runs at about 27 FPS in KDE (much faster than using my old savefile) but only at 13 FPS in XScreensaver. Don't know why but at least with this new savefile the video performance is back where it should be. KDE desktop effects is also faster now but somehow they don't have quite the snap or look and feel that C-F has, (even after meddling with the variables in KDE).

For what it's worth I tried Chrome but it failed on some pages that I use a lot. Firefox does open them properly. I used Seamonkey in LHPup 3 gold and liked it. As I have now abandoned traditional email clients and use gmail almost exclusively, I find the combination of Firefox with Adblock plus (which removes all of those adverts in gmail quietly and unobtrusively) is best for me. It provides the most flexibility (and great spam filtering too) plus access from any connected device.
B.

tazoc

Re: 5d

#273 Post by tazoc »

Barburo wrote:Hi Taz,
I seem unable to get C-F 0.7.9-1f to run at all in 5D. It worked fine in 5C. I tried C-F in KDE, LXDE and Xfce too. To be sure I did a clean install and retried with same C-F sfs. Same problem: not recognized. Operator error or ... ?
Nope, my oversight. I switched the /usr/bin/python symlink from python2.5 to python2.6 without updating some of the C-F scripts that needed python2.5. Will make a fixed C-F SFS available soon after testing it and I will look at Xscreensavers also.
Thanks,
TazOC

8-bit

#274 Post by 8-bit »

How about another oversight?
When I rightclicked on the xdelta3 file in Lighthouse-5.00-Mariner, the xdelta3 or xdelta3GUI was not a listed option in either the main or openwith popup menu.
I admit that the command line one works, but this is the first I knew of it.
If you are offering xdelta3 updates, you should also offer the program to use as an option in the right-click menu.

tazoc

#275 Post by tazoc »

Hi 8-bit,
It's there for me, I have no idea why it's not for you.

Might be interesting to try booting with pfix=ram and check the same file. Of course you could always just d/l the full version of the ISO!
-TazOC

8-bit

#276 Post by 8-bit »

I had already downloaded the full Lighthouse C version.
That was the one with all the extra sfs files included in it.
The MD5SUM checked ok and I had been using it for a while.
When I dl/ed the xdelta3 file for the C-D version, it was the one for the same that I had downloaded earlier.
Sure, xdelta3 is available from the command line. But it is NOT in the right-click menu. And the offering in the main menu is for Xdelta.
And when the Xdelta GUI is run and you drag and drop the ISO and the xdelta3 files to the appropriate boxes, the Xdelta GUI just creates a delta file.

After the upgrade to LHP D, the games I had installed had disappeared from the menu and the corrupted pupsave file bug was back.
Did you or did you not include the revised shutdown script in revision D?
And finally, after the upgrade, the Xdelta3 option showed up in the right click menu.

smellyman

#277 Post by smellyman »

Here is a question I can't seem to figure out.

When I imported my bookmarks to firefox, the bookmarks toolbar is displayed on the menu bar.

How can I accomplish that on other computers? Its a great space saving trick.
Attachments
toolbar.png
Screenshot
(5.36 KiB) Downloaded 1038 times

tazoc

#278 Post by tazoc »

8-bit wrote:Did you or did you not include the revised shutdown script in revision D?
Yes, I did 8-bit. Please describe the partition that contains the pupsave. Is it on internal media or flash drive? What file system, ext 2,3,4, vfat or ntfs. Even though I use ext4 for my host part and ext3 for the pupsave, I still include pfix=fsck in my GRUB entry for peace of mind. If you are booting from CD just press f at the boot menu to accomplish the same.
smellyman wrote:When I imported my bookmarks to firefox, the bookmarks toolbar is displayed on the menu bar.

View | Toolbars | Customize | Drag 'n' drop "Bookmarks Toolbar Items" up to the menu bar. View | Toolbars | uncheck Bookmarks Toolbar. (Reverse the process to restore.)

I'm struggling with anxiety this week, finding it hard to concentrate, and have only been able to work about an hour a day so forgive me if I'm slow to respond. This happens to me regularly and usually only lasts a day or two. Thanks for your patience.
-TazOC

smellyman

#279 Post by smellyman »

tazoc wrote:
8-bit wrote:Did you or did you not include the revised shutdown script in revision D?
Yes, I did 8-bit. Please describe the partition that contains the pupsave. Is it on internal media or flash drive? What file system, ext 2,3,4, vfat or ntfs. Even though I use ext4 for my host part and ext3 for the pupsave, I still include pfix=fsck in my GRUB entry for peace of mind. If you are booting from CD just press f at the boot menu to accomplish the same.
smellyman wrote:When I imported my bookmarks to firefox, the bookmarks toolbar is displayed on the menu bar.

View | Toolbars | Customize | Drag 'n' drop "Bookmarks Toolbar Items" up to the menu bar. View | Toolbars | uncheck Bookmarks Toolbar. (Reverse the process to restore.)

I'm struggling with anxiety this week, finding it hard to concentrate, and have only been able to work about an hour a day so forgive me if I'm slow to respond. This happens to me regularly and usually only lasts a day or two. Thanks for your patience.
-TazOC
Thanks Taz. I will give it a go tonight.

No worries, take it easy.

I see you're from lower columbia basin in WA. I grew up in Kelso.... I see why there may be anxiety. :))

Barburo

#280 Post by Barburo »

Taz,
Sympathy for your anxiety attacks and take your time - don't let the tail wag the dog. Also you seem possessed of much more patience than I in answering any and all queries.
I consider experimenting with Puppy to be fun - let's keep it that way.
Ultimately, Lighthouse Pup is your creation, and I really admire where you've taken Barry's little system that can.
Peace.
B.