aspire one puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
iscraigh

#261 Post by iscraigh »

I am not currently working on one, but I may try basing one off ubuntu puppy that is being worked on.

Craig

gothica

#262 Post by gothica »

Hi Craig,

Now that 4.2 is released I've been thinking about making a puplet for the aspire one based on it but using your puplet as basis/guide. I'm thinking about building a bare bones aspire one puppy that just have all(or most) hardware working. Then I'll just make separate sfs for stuff like skype, open office, vlc, etc. So that users will have a choice of what to put on their puppy and just combine sfs as they go. Maybe you or someone could help me out point the basic things to get the files needed to get the one's hardware working on puppy (wireless, camera, mic, sd slots). Some other feature I'd like to include in the puplet would be fan control and cpu frequency control.

Joe J

Sound on AOD150

#263 Post by Joe J »

I tried the puplet on my AOD150. Everything seems to work, except for the sound. Does anyone know how to get it to work on the AOD150? (By the way, I made sure the volume/pcm was all the way up when I tried it.) Thanks for any help.

pembrokepuppy

Jaunty puppy

#264 Post by pembrokepuppy »

Craig excellent idea, i am testing jaunty puppy right now in virtual box, it shows alot of promise, access to all of ubuntus software is the right direction.

I'll keep following this thread to see if a ubuntu puppy gets off the ground for the aspire one

Aitch

#265 Post by Aitch »

Joe J

according to this thread, [arch, sorry]

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ace ... figuration

you need snd_hda_intel module

HTH

Aitch :)

Joe J

Snd-hda-intel

#266 Post by Joe J »

Aitch,

Snd-hda-intel seems to already be loaded. However, the sound still is not working. I tried loading upup alpha 7 and the sound works on that. That also uses snd-hda-intel. I am going to compare the settings in both to see if I can figure out why one works and the other doesn't. Thanks, Joe

BrianJ

#267 Post by BrianJ »

buford wrote:ok i have same set up with 420 so i know the flash card usb card reader combo will work.

however im running my acer version on usb flash.

there are some links under beginners help if you want to read up.

when you click on "connect" icon from you desktop it will say available network interfaces:eth0 wlan0

does it say both or just eth0?
Sorry it took so long to reply - just too busy I'm afraid. It says both eth0 and wlan0

Joe J

AOD 150 Sound Problem

#268 Post by Joe J »

I tried modifying the modprobe.conf file to match the upup one. Sound still did not work. I realized that sound works on the headphones though. I did some research and one site says that kernel 2.6.28 or later and alsa 1.0.19 is required to get the sound to work on the speakers. We'll see.

Mergotroid

Aspire One touchpad failure; HELP!

#269 Post by Mergotroid »

I ran your distro from a USB flash this morning on my AAO 110 and was impressed. The first time, it worked lightning fast, looked wonderful using Xvesa, including SD card, wifi. The SECOND time startup bolts through the resolution settings, defaults them to something huge, and the touchpad and buttons don't respond. I tried booting up the loaded version of XP (which went into scandisc), and also another usb flash w/ dreamlinux 3.5 on it, and STILL NO TOUCHPAD, now in any os. Puppy at first had recognized the tp as PS/2 mouse, and it was overtly sensitive as others have reported.

Is there now a driver or script default I have to correct or is it possible that my pad just shorted out? (I don't consider the latter likely because the L/R buttons are gone too)
I have also tried re-enabling the tp in XP's device mgr, as well as running through the Xorg wizard steps.

Can anyone help with this? This machine is still pretty new.[/img]

Mergotroid

AA 110 Touchpad

#270 Post by Mergotroid »

Uh, problem solved. Fn + F7 enables/disables touchpad.
Thankyou Sailorbear 2004.

Libretto100ct

#271 Post by Libretto100ct »

Using it on a Aspire One D250 running off of a 2Gb Kingston data Traveler USB and it works fine.

VERY impressed with this little Netbook.

Dpup

Aspire One 10 inch D150

#272 Post by Dpup »

Setup new Aspire One 10 inch D150 Netbook to boot from USB flash drive.

The internal wifi, a Broadcom was not recognized. Using nidsrapper installed the Broadcom wifi drivers from the hard drive XP delivered with the D150 and it then it connects to my wireless WPA2 TKIP router.

A second problem is no audio to speakers, but audio is at the head set connector. Researched this in the forums and found that the audio plays to the speakers with a newer kernel such as in Fat Dog 112, Unnamed11, NewyearspupMU micro rc10 and Barry's test Upup release 476.

The audio to speaker problem exists with all of the official releases of Puppy and derivatives with older kernel (and audio drivers).

Curious if anyone has a fix for getting audio to speakers with this derivative and the other official releases of Puppy with older kernel (and audio drivers).

Update 6/12/09 - Looked up the latest XP drivers on the Asus support site and noticed the wifi can be Atheros, Broadcom, or Intel. Only one audio driver, Realtek was listed. So the D150 comes in various flavors. Also saw battery comes in three sizes and which one cannot be determined by looking at the box !!!

fabiomn1965

#273 Post by fabiomn1965 »

Hello friend,

when are you going to upgrade to 4.2?

iscraigh

#274 Post by iscraigh »

At this point I have no firm plans but may base one on puppy 5.0 Jpup.
I am currently playing with debris linux and quite like it also.

Craig

ironclad

#275 Post by ironclad »

Just going to bump this and ask another update question.

Have you decided to switch to debris or are you going to continue with puppy linux.

iscraigh

#276 Post by iscraigh »

I still use puppy as my main distro although on both the kids laptops I am using linux4one now. I run the lite version on one and the regular on the other. The main reason for the switch was problems connecting to encrypted wireless (wpa) I could usually get it to work but it proved to be a constant irritant. This is an area that puppy still has challenges with, I am hoping that upup may have improvements in this area. It is unlikely I will have time for an updated version before the end of the year as I just started building a house so spare time is at a premium.
You should give it a go it is a great learning experience and the newer versions of puppy have a lot of the fixes.

Craig

ironclad

#277 Post by ironclad »

Thanks for the reply mate.

Actually I had better luck having my Arthos card recognized in Puppy 4.1.2. than 4.2.1. However, the WEP only encryption held me back in 4.1.2 and it is very annoying like you said.

I have half a mind to just buy a different wifi card so that it will work, even though I really don't want to take apart the netbook.

I would love to build my own puplet or compile apps for puppy but I am finding a lack of tutorials or guides. Do you know of any links to point me in the right direction?

EDIT:

First off, I just discovered that the HOW-TO section is full of useful information.

Secondly, I got wifi working with WPA keys! Just needed the madwifi pet and it worked from there.

mpierrat25

AAO 110 / Macpup Opera

#278 Post by mpierrat25 »

I tried to install iscraigh'iso on sda but ended up by crashing my system (my fault). So I decided rebuild my AA0 110 and made a full install of Macpup (Puppy 4.2) on the drive :

Linpus = 6 Go Macpup = 1Go Swap= 1Go
I used the working directories of Linpus, double boot is perfect (nice grub stuff of Macpup), WiFi is OK (ath-pci patch & aircrack-ng.pet)

Only problem : SD not recognized and consequently hanging at boot if extension card engaged.

I remember that with isgraih'iso it was possible to boot even with the card.

Could somebody give me the thread to fix this issue.

paulh177

#279 Post by paulh177 »

iscraigh:

I just found this thread and put acer puppy on my aspire one 1gb ram 120gb hd.
Wireless light doesn't work.
Even when connected to a wireless network the icon in cairo-dock says "wireless n/a".

It's a nice distro and much more amenable to me than Linpus.
I would prefer a simpler WM/DE and less widgety stuff, so I want to see if I can go about creating my own remaster for my Aspire.

What I need to know is what the key changes you made to the distro to get it working properly with the hardware. I'm presuming you had to install some extra bits unrelated to the UI.
I see that rc.local is heavily modded, and assume you must have found a non-standard wireless driver (the ath5k and ath_pci from standard puppies don;t seem to work on mine -- which says on the back it's an atheros AR5BXB63) at the very least

So can you post what changes you made, what you installed (and from where?) to help me along?

thanks

Paul

iscraigh

#280 Post by iscraigh »

I will probably not be incredibly helpful as I took no notes (very bad of me).
You are correct I had to make a few changes.

First of I used mu or wows pup as base it had the .27 kernel this supported the hardware better. If you reed over the aspire on threads you should find most of the fixes. If wireless does not work it is possible they have changed the chip again.

Try flicking the wireless switch and rebooting if it still does not work do it one more time.
Failing that you can see if mu posted a ath5k driver for the .27 kernel or one for the kernel you are using. the wireless lights won't work with out making a change can't remember what it is though (sorry have just got home from working 10 hours overtime)

For the wireless you could try ndiswrapper and the windows driver

I would suggest a newer kernel as a base, a lot of the fixes are integrated. I know I found a lot of info on sites for installing ubuntu on the aspire.

I am really sorry I am not much help just google a lot. I may try another one once my house is finished.

Craig