Dpup482-beta5 testing

musher0

#256 Post by musher0 »

aragon wrote: (...)
But i do not fully agree that these have to be started from .xinitrc. if you want to start 'special' apps for your 'special' environment, it would be better to try to use a startup-script. then you would have a clear structure and no one has to search afterwards, why things act 'funny'.
(...)
aragon
I tested lauching fbpanel, for example from such a startup-script, and actually it runs better than launched from the .xinitrc file. All the fbpanel icons appear correctly when it is launched from a startup-script.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#257 Post by Béèm »

musher0 wrote:
Béèm wrote:
gposil wrote:Don't know that i'll get to the Service Pack today...probably tomorrow, too much Shiraz today... :lol:
Try Orval beer. There are less secondary effects. :wink:
If we're on the subject of beer, may I suggest a cold Sleeman's Red ? :lol:

And of course, if you drink, don't drive! :?
Looks promising.
Should go to Canada some day. :wink:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

musher0

#258 Post by musher0 »

Béèm wrote:
musher0 wrote:
Béèm wrote:Try Orval beer. There are less secondary effects. :wink:
If we're on the subject of beer, may I suggest a cold Sleeman's Red ? :lol:

And of course, if you drink, don't drive! :?
Looks promising.
Should go to Canada some day. :wink:
Consider yourself invited! :D
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

01micko

#259 Post by 01micko »

Hmmmm

Some more consequences from using sfs_linker with the kernel source.. (maybe it was a bit ambitious :lol: ).

-Gtkdialog3 was broken, found out when I went to shutdown.. restored from /initrd/pup_ro2. Just maybe, it may have broke because we use Gtkdialog with a symlink from Gtkdialog3 whereas a standard Puppy uses it the other way around. What I ended up with was 2 broken symlinks! That may have been caused by the Ooo sfs, it was made for 4.3x after all. Or, possibly by sfs_linker itself, I can't see the kernel source needing gtkdialog for anything.

-Downloads in Firefox are broken, still under investigation.

I have spare Pupsave so no real drama, but I'll keep using this one just for the purpose of seeing what broke, and seeing if it can be fixed.

Cheers
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 05 Dec 2009, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#260 Post by musher0 »

01micko wrote:Hmmmm

Some more consequences from using sfs_linker with the kernel source.. (maybe it was a bit ambitious :lol: ).

(...)

Cheers
Not sure we're following you, genius! ... :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

01micko

#261 Post by 01micko »

musher0 wrote:

(...)

Cheers
:lol: Indeed!

just a toiler! :lol:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

musher0

#262 Post by musher0 »

01micko wrote:
musher0 wrote:

(...)

Cheers
:lol: Indeed!

just a toiler! :lol:
In Paris (of all places!), they have a 12-step program for that! (Workaholics Anonymous)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

gposil

#263 Post by gposil »

hi guys...just working through service pack...

The changes so far...

Full install desktop icon fix
Nano fix
Gnumeric fix
Wbar fixes(01micko)

Are there any others we want included...
Last edited by gposil on Sun 06 Dec 2009, 00:09, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

01micko

#264 Post by 01micko »

Well there is a tiny bit of fat but that can wait til beta6.

-The old screenshot utility is still there

-there are a few kb of legacy files in /usr/local/wbar-setup and /root/.wbarstuff. Easiest fix is to delete both directories from your tree and reinstall latest wbar-setup.pet and then apply the patches, but like I said, best to wait til beta6

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

musher0

#265 Post by musher0 »

Hi, Guy.

Well, in addition, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, there's

* Remaster Xpress that can't find the CD,
* PicPuz doesn't find the image if you've changed the initial backdrop,
* burniso2cd doesn't have an entry in *.desktop,
* jwm config gets corrupted after 5-6 changes,
* the closing click on jwm's exit button doesn't do anything in htop,
* minixcal is not linked to the time on the jwm taskbar,
* we have no CD playing program (a specialized one such as XFreeCD), and
* rgb.txt (essential for gcolor2) is in the wrong place.

And that's just what I found! Is that enough for now? :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Bad situation with locale

#266 Post by Béèm »

I was updating a spreadsheet with OOo.
I saw that the format of the cell I was entering was wrong. The format wasn't correct.
So I closed the spreadsheet and went to choose locale.
And yes, as I have had before, instead of the nl_BE locale, it was the en_US again.
Don't know why this changes automatically sometimes.

So I went to the spreadsheet again and was presented with the recovery option.
Then OOo said the file couldn't be recovered.
When I opened the spreadsheet again, I got the msg there was an error in the format of the sub-document content.xml file at position 2,xxxxx (col,row) and nothing loaded.
I made a post in the OOo forum to see if there is a way to recover the spreadsheet.

Never had a real problem so I didn't have a recent backup. :oops:
So lesson, if working with beta sw. Backup frequently.

Now for the cause of this, I don't know how the locale did change. I always set directly the locale to nl_BE before using another puppy version so I have the correct Belgian format for date and numeric amounts. I did so for dpup beta 5.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

musher0

Re: Bad situation with locale

#267 Post by musher0 »

Bernard, quelle version d'Open Office utilises-tu? / Which version of Open Office are you using?

Have you installed the appropriate French oxt package and the general French linguistic add-on for this specific version, and specified fr_BE ?

Initially, upon startup, is your Oo menu in French or in English? That might tell us something.

I might be able to help you if it's v. 3.1.1 or 3.2 dev, but mostly if you offer me "une bonne blanche bien froide" Belgium is so famous for! (;-/) (hic! / tipsy!)

Also, and very seriously, have you created a profile.local file in /etc with the content I posted earlier in this thread for the language variables?

This may help tremendously. Since I've used this "local profile", although dpup's menu is not localized yet, some programs, menus and such, have been "automagically" starting to appear in French. (The programs which have their own localization included, such as Abiword, for example, and some of the ROX-Filer.)
Last edited by musher0 on Sun 06 Dec 2009, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#268 Post by musher0 »

gposil wrote:hi guys...just working through service pack...

The changes so far...

Full install desktop icon fix
Nano fix
Gnumeric fix
Wbar fixes(01micko)

Are there any others we want included...
How about ROX-Filer 2.9 ? A must, I think, for anyone who wants to use the rox panels without fuss.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#269 Post by musher0 »

My apologies to you, béèm, you master French (and English) so well that I forget you spontaneously work in nl_BE.

So my references in my Oo post above should be to the Netherlander-Belgie (I hope I have the spelling right) Oo package.

Therefore, your profile.local (personal profile file at /etc/profile.local) for your language should be:
(Edit: /etc/profile.local. NOT /etc/profile.personal as stated previously. Sorry about that.)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
LANG=nl_BE
export LANG
LC_ALL=nl_BE
export LC_ALL
LANGUAGE=nl_BE
export LANGUAGE
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

See if that helps? My hunch is that Open Office thinks you have an American system or that the linguistic identification of your system is incomplete -- and therefore Oo doesn't know what to do / which to choose. The language specifications in the profile.local file above should tell Oo that such is not the case. I suggest that you reboot once you've defined that profile.

As to recovery of your spreadsheet, you may have some luck getting back some raw info from it, if you install tcl/tk 8.5 (it's easy) to use pa_mckenrock's wishbinvu. That utility reads the content of any file directly. Maybe other testers here know of similar utilities.

Let me know? Again, my apologies.
Last edited by musher0 on Sun 06 Dec 2009, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

gposil

#270 Post by gposil »

musher0 wrote:Hi, Guy.

Well, in addition, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, there's

* Remaster Xpress that can't find the CD,
* PicPuz doesn't find the image if you've changed the initial backdrop,
* burniso2cd doesn't have an entry in *.desktop,
* jwm config gets corrupted after 5-6 changes,
* the closing click on jwm's exit button doesn't do anything in htop,
* minixcal is not linked to the time on the jwm taskbar,
* we have no CD playing program (a specialized one such as XFreeCD), and
* rgb.txt (essential for gcolor2) is in the wrong place.

And that's just what I found! Is that enough for now? :lol:
Right...here's the patch so far

Beta5 Patch List - fixed

*Full install desktop icon fix
*Nano fix
*Gnumeric fix
*Wbar fixes(01micko)
*minixcal is not linked to the time on the jwm taskbar
*rgb.txt (essential for gcolor2) is in the wrong place.
*burniso2cd doesn’t have an entry in *.desktop
*Rox-2.9 update

A few notes on other fixes mentioned...

The htop item is on purpose, you just click quit...
PicPuz problem...I haven't been able to duplicate it yet...
Remaster script...still working on it
BMP plays CD's perfectly for me, but if we want a stand-alone CD player, Debian wmcd is very small and I could include it.

Cheers
Guy
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

musher0

#271 Post by musher0 »

> gposil says:
> (...)
> BMP plays CD's perfectly for me,
> (..)

For the life of me, I can't get BMP or any other media player -- except the more complex aqualung and xfmedia -- to play a music CD. I hit the file-list arrow on BMP or the media sub-menu on xine, I go the CD (sr1 or cdrom) and I get zilch files to play. Should the cd be mounted previously? If I use wmcd or xfreecd, the cd starts instantly. Go figure!

The other way I know to play a musical CD directly is to use CDex on Wine, but that's cheating!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

gposil

#272 Post by gposil »

Just to let everyone know, I have the new beta6 backend in testing now...features

Gtk2-2.18.3
glib2-2.22.2
GLIBC_2.10

That should keep a few people happy...

shankargopal

#273 Post by shankargopal »

Ok, have spent the whole week in eager anticipation because could not use beta5 till yday night (work crazy)... :). Running it on a Sony 8 GB flash drive, frugal install, 512MB dpupsave. Right now running on an Eee PC 701SD but have also run it on two desktop machines.

Some bugs (that as far as I can tell don't quite match what others are reporting):

* A number of settings don't seem to be being retained. Every time I reboot I get the xorgwizard and the bootmanager again. The sfs files I choose in the bootmanager are not being loaded.

* As for the desktop, it's unpredictable. I did not get the first start wizard on first start so had to go to the menu to get it. Set it to turn on wbar. But on every reboot the desktop icons come back - sometimes with wbar on (like just now), sometimes not. Also, if I rerun the first start wizard when wbar is off and ask it to turn it on, X restarts and icons are gone - but wbar is sometimes there, sometimes not. And when it is there it takes a long time to start, more than 45 seconds or so.

Anyone else getting these errors? Gposil, maybe these would be addressed by the service pack fixes you've put in? I had initially run it with pfix=fsck in the kernel variables but just switched that off to see if that might be causing the problem. But, no, still got xorgwizard and bootmanager again, though this time wbar did come on - on top of the ROX icons...

One other thing, gposil, any luck with the apt add-on? Slavering at the mouth waiting for it... :)

gposil

#274 Post by gposil »

musher0 wrote:> gposil says:
> (...)
> BMP plays CD's perfectly for me,
> (..)

For the life of me, I can't get BMP or any other media player -- except the more complex aqualung and xfmedia -- to play a music CD. I hit the file-list arrow on BMP or the media sub-menu on xine, I go the CD (sr1 or cdrom) and I get zilch files to play. Should the cd be mounted previously? If I use wmcd or xfreecd, the cd starts instantly. Go figure!

The other way I know to play a musical CD directly is to use CDex on Wine, but that's cheating!
All you do is open Playlist, click the + sign and choose add CD and you're away cddb support and everything. Perhaps we should have a help file for people not used to Winamp/Xmms/BMP etc..

gposil

#275 Post by gposil »

shankargopal

I have not been able to duplicate the errors you are getting., so at this stage I can't say what's causing them..

The Service Pack will be uploaded in about an hour...