Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kataja

#241 Post by kataja »

Thanks guys, I managed to upgrade my Puppy. 8)

I was just thinking to install this updated Puppy to HDD. There is win7 already in the HDD. Is the process hard to complete and should I take it as frugal or full?
This is for space which is going to end and I want to get an additional usb place.

rcrsn51

#242 Post by rcrsn51 »

kataja wrote:I was just thinking to install this updated Puppy to HDD. There is win7 already in the HDD. Is the process hard to complete and should I take it as frugal or full?
Read here, particularly the note at the end about Vista and Win7.

Do you have a way of restoring Win7 if something bad happens?

radky

#243 Post by radky »

8-bit wrote:Pup-SysInfo Sensors did not work till I made a system link of zenity to /usr/loal/bin/yad.
I am unsure if you included the required sensor support files.
Hi 8-bit,

Pup-SysInfo does not install sensors-detection utilities, but will call the 'sensors' and 'sensors-detect' utilities if they are currently installed in a Puppy derivative, or will provide notification when those utilities are not available. If not already installed, you will find the appropriate sensors-detection utilities and support libraries in the CPUtemp program by rcrsn51. Lastly, you reference a symlink of zenity to /usr/loal/bin/yad in your program, but this is not necessary in Pup-SysInfo which uses gtkdialog, rather than zenity or yad.

BTW, the next release of PupControl will include an updated Pup-SysInfo-1.1, with additional information options. :)

Best Regards

nooby

#244 Post by nooby »

Maybe Lupu 528 have no Fido? Mick wants us to test Fido so I thought I would do it in Lupu 528 I know some version of pesmasu's puppies have fido. Polar puppy. The latest Snow most likely.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

kataja

#245 Post by kataja »

rcrsn51 wrote: Read here, particularly the note at the end about Vista and Win7.

Unfortunately, I am not able to take a backup of the system. I can always take the personal files to external HDD, but not the system.

How about re-partitioning? I have never done that before and my win7 uses NTFS system. Also I must remember the upgrade. The full install is perhaps harder to update?

This doesn't seem to be easy. :(

nooby

#246 Post by nooby »

rcrsn51 knows puppy and computer way better than what I do
but I get curious one why you can not do a frugal install on that ntfs.

I have done that and now have these to chose upon at boot.

Code: Select all

# Frugal installed Puppy 

title Slacko-4992 puppy 1024x768 JWM. nolapic 
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /slacko-4992/vmlinuz psubdir=slacko-4992 puppy i915.modeset=1 nosmp pfix=fsck 
  initrd /slacko-4992/initrd.gz 

title polar-lupu-5 processor.max_cstate=1 i915.modeset=1 nosmp 
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /polar-lupu-5/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=polar-lupu-5 puppy processor.max_cstate=1 i915.modeset=1 nosmp pfix=fsck 
  initrd /polar-lupu-5/initrd.gz

title Dpup Squeeze dx5x5 1024x768 works good but SeaMonkey processor.max_cstate=1 i915.modeset=1 nosmp 
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /dx5x5/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=dx5x5 puppy nosmp pfix=fsck processor.max_cstate=1 i915.modeset=1 reboot=bios
  initrd /dx5x5/initrd.gz

title luci-529  with FF 7.0 playdayz processor.max_cstate=1 i915.modeset=1 nosmp 
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /luci-529/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=luci-529 puppy  nosmp pfix=fsck 
  initrd /luci-529/initrd.gz

title  Wary-514 Puppy Linux  
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /wary-514/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev=sda3 pusubdir=wary-514 puppy nosmp pfix=fsck
  initrd /wary-514/initrd.gz 

title SliTaz linux cooking latest version 
  kernel (hd0,2)/slitaz3boot/bzImage rw root=/dev/null slitaz vga=771 nosmp acpi=off 
  initrd (hd0,2)/slitaz3boot/rootfs.gz

title Next 5.0 iguleder processor.max_cstate=1 i915.modeset=1 nosmp 
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /next5/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=next5 puppy processor.max_cstate=1 i915.modeset=1 nosmp pfix=fsck 
  initrd /next5/initrd.gz

title Spup 312 1024x600 JWM. nolapic 
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /spup312/vmlinuz psubdir=spup312 puppy i915.modeset=1 nosmp pfix=fsck 
  initrd /spup312/initrd.gz 

title Akita Linux puplite 6  works good acpi=off apm=off noapic nodma nopcmcia pci=noacpi
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /akita/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=akita puppy i915.modeset=1 nosmp pfix=fsck
  initrd /akita/initrd.gz 

title luci-528  playdayz processor.max_cstate=1 i915.modeset=1 nosmp 
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /luci-528/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=luci-528 puppy  nosmp pfix=fsck 
  initrd /luci-528/initrd.gz

title Drake 0.3 Puppy Linux 5 by Barry Kauler 1024x768 JWM. nolapic 
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /drake/vmlinuz psubdir=drake puppy i915.modeset=1 nosmp pfix=fsck 
  initrd /drake/initrd.gz 

title Lightweight Portable Security 1.2.1 USA Navy version? 
kernel (hd0,2)/lps121/vmlinuz load_ramdisk=1 ramdisk_blocksize=4096 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=524288 console=ttyS3 splash=silent vga=791
initrd (hd0,2)/lps121/initrd
boot 

title  pup-432 Puppy Linux  800x600 apm=off noapic nodma nopcmcia pci=noacpi
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /pup-432/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev=sda3 pusubdir=pup-432 puppy nosmp pfix=fsck 
  initrd /pup-432/initrd.gz 

title quirky142   i915.modeset=1 1024x600 
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /qrky142/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=qrky142 puppy pupmode=13 i915.modeset=1  nosmp pfix=fsck 
  initrd /qrky142/initrd.gz

title Fluppy013 Without Wine 
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /fluppy013/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd psubdir=fluppy013 i915.modeset=1 processor.max_cstate=1 pfix=fsck 
  initrd /fluppy013/initrd.gz

title TinyCore 3.7rc2 bzImage kmap=qwerty/fi-latin9 
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /tce/boot/bzImage
kernel /tce/boot/bzImage tce=sda3 home=sda3 opt=sda3 showapps noswap syslog vga=792 kmap=qwerty/fi-latin9
initrd /tce/boot/tinycore.gz /tce/boot/ntfs-3g.gz

title Knoppix 6.4.3 Adriane (Poor Man's HD install) ramdisk_size=1000000 init=/etc/init nomce
  kernel (hd0,2)/knoppixadrianeboot/boot/isolinux/linux  BOOT_IMAGE=KNOPPIX knoppix apm=power-off screen=1024x768  
  initrd (hd0,2)/knoppixadrianeboot/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz

title Porteus OS does allow me to change menu.lst as root = toor  startx lack flashplayer? 
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /porteusboot/vmlinuz rw changes=/porteus/slaxsave.dat
initrd /porteusboot/initrd.lz
boot

title RexBang Linux 5.2.5 
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /rexbang/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=rexbang i915.modeset=1  nosmp pfix=fsck 
  initrd /rexbang/initrd.gz  

title LightHouse Puppy lhp-503 With Wine Spotify based on puppy 420 xforcevesa nomodeset 1024x768 with Icewm
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /lhp-503/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=lhp-503 puppy pfix=fsck nosmp
  initrd /lhp-503/initrd.gz

title Lupu 540 by igu and stu Lucid Puppy Linux 
   rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /lupu-540/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=lupu-540  nosmp pfix=fsck 
  initrd /lupu-540/initrd.gz  

maxpro4u

#247 Post by maxpro4u »

Just checking in- frugal install on my A31 thinkpad. So far everything works OOTB- sound-flashplayer-wireless. I must say that using puppy is like a breath of fresh air. I have been playing around with various distros with KDE and they are so slowwww on this lappy(2Ghz P4 with 512mb ram).

way to go!
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

bigpup

#248 Post by bigpup »

kataja wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote: Read here, particularly the note at the end about Vista and Win7.

Unfortunately, I am not able to take a backup of the system. I can always take the personal files to external HDD, but not the system.

How about re-partitioning? I have never done that before and my win7 uses NTFS system. Also I must remember the upgrade. The full install is perhaps harder to update?

This doesn't seem to be easy. :(
The easiest thing for you to do is a frugal install of Puppy to the same partition Windows 7 is on.
A frugal install just puts some files on the partition and they have no effect on Windows 7. They just take up space.

This info may help you:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nooby

#249 Post by nooby »

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 has openbox as default and JWM only if one switch to it?

How does one know which one are in? I don't remember if I tested to go into JWM or not.

I did a frugal install on an Acer netbook for to test Fido but there seems to be no Fido there? Was that intentional or did I do something wrong that failed to activate Fido? I'm in Snow puppy now

robotgirl

#250 Post by robotgirl »

I just installed the update and at first everything seemed fine, but then I realized that I no longer have sound, even the volume controller in the try is gone.

smokey01

#251 Post by smokey01 »

robotgirl wrote:I just installed the update and at first everything seemed fine, but then I realized that I no longer have sound, even the volume controller in the try is gone.
Just type retrovol in a terminal window and it should return.

Maybe a second reboot will help, sometimes does.

playdayz

#252 Post by playdayz »

I just installed the update and at first everything seemed fine, but then I realized that I no longer have sound, even the volume controller in the try is gone.
When you start retrovol as smokey01 says, then raise any volume control that looks "promising." PCM, Front, and Master, etc. Different sound cards have different controls. It is possible that retrovol will not start because no sound card has been properly detected and configured. Please try the retrovol approach first, but if that does not work, you can then try Menu -> Setup -> ALSA Sound Wizard.

The reasons this happend was that Lucid 5.2.8 upgrades to the latest version of the ALSA sound system, 1.0.24-2. It doesn't happen often that the sound gets lost, but it has happended a few times.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#253 Post by nooby »

Here I give a long shot. My Desktop had one front jack socket for headphones
and a panel on the rear back and that panel with many jacks was only
reachable through Real Tech software drivers. I did not realize that and
was without sound until I tested the front jack instead.

But you most likely have only one jack for headphone?

playdayz

#254 Post by playdayz »

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 has openbox as default and JWM only if one switch to it?

How does one know which one are in? I don't remember if I tested to go into JWM or not.

I did a frugal install on an Acer netbook for to test Fido but there seems to be no Fido there? Was that intentional or did I do something wrong that failed to activate Fido? I'm in Snow puppy now
Yes, openbox is default. To change to jwm, it is best to use Menu -> Desktop -> Desktop Settings -> WM Switcher.

Openbox has a transparent task bar.

We didn't do anything special about Fido. What is it supposed to do? ;-)

robotgirl

#255 Post by robotgirl »

I tried retrovol as suggested and got this error message:

Cannot read file: /root/.retrovolrc
Using defaults...
retrovol: hcontrol.c:573: snd_hctl_load: Assertion `hctl->count == 0' failed.
Aborted

I then tried the ALSA wizard and it seemed like everything was going fine as it detected my sound card and such but then when it ran the test sound it crashed with an "input/output error" message. I thought that maybe restarting the computer would help but that did nothing.
Here I give a long shot. My Desktop had one front jack socket for headphones
and a panel on the rear back and that panel with many jacks was only
reachable through Real Tech software drivers. I did not realize that and
was without sound until I tested the front jack instead.

But you most likely have only one jack for headphone?
I'm sorry nooby but I don't understand what this is supposed to mean, I have jacks on my rear panel from my soundcard, I have never needed special software to use them.

sheldonisaac

#256 Post by sheldonisaac »

(PORTIONS SNIPPED]
robotgirl wrote: I then tried the ALSA wizard and it seemed like everything was going fine as it detected my sound card and such but then when it ran the test sound it crashed with an "input/output error" message.
I just did that, and when it ran the test sound it made a woof-woof sound.

Hopefully some expert can advise.

One would think that if your sound card is detected it would work?

robotgirl

#257 Post by robotgirl »

here is the exact error I get in the little text box

amixer: Mixer attach default error: Input/output error

and I just noticed that this shows up right before it asks to test sound

playdayz

#258 Post by playdayz »

I just installed the update and at first everything seemed fine, but then I realized that I no longer have sound,
robotgirl, I assumed you meant the update from 5.2.5 to 5.2.8, but did you mean the Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2.8?

bigpup

#259 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Any help you could provide to this guy about his sound device not being detected by Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.
You can read the entire topic, but the basic problem is stated here.
He is using a very new computer.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 862#562862
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 208#563208
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gortonc

Sylpheed update?

#260 Post by gortonc »

I am loving 5.2.8 and the instant update seems to be working fine. Sylpheed is notifying of an update 3.1.2. Should I do it? Is there a .pet? Thanks folks for all your great work!

Chris