Muppy 008.4c (final release)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MU

#241 Post by MU »

rw is correct.
ro is a default from grubinstall, that is not Puppyspecific.
It was reported, that with ro you really could not write anything to your system, so I modified the grub settings to rw.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#242 Post by Béèm »

Well the funny thing is, I can write to my boot HDD even if it was ro in grub.(for 4.xx) Hence the question.
So I'll change them all to rw to avoid problems.
Thanks
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

MU

#243 Post by MU »

french localization

"gw" has created a PET, that adds french localization to Muppy 008.4.

Some notes from his mail:
Fr language pack for Muppy 0.8.4C (english version) here :
www.softenpoche.com/sep/Muppy0.8.4-FR.pet
Restart X after installation.
Sometimes I have also to download again fr_FR locale from Chooselocale.
Some problems with the different desktops :
Icewm+MuppyPanel : OK
Icewm : OK
JWM : OK
Icewm+LXPanel : big problems, a mixture of menu entries in english and german.
Download (2.6 MB):
ftp://ks301128.kimsufi.com/Muppy0084/fi ... 8.4-FR.pet

If you see things, that can be refined, please send me modified files, or post them here, so that we can upgrade the pet.
I did not install it myself yet, so please give us feedback, how it works.

Merci, Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Eyes-Only

#244 Post by Eyes-Only »

Seulement de la curiositie ici Mark, mon cher frere: ;)

If I take and install this French.pet? I would "enable" it under? "Locales"? BUT!---If I enable this French.pet will it also change my "Time" from like "New York" to "Paris", or some French-speaking place? (Although Montreal would be just fine! hehe!)

Hmm... I also have KDE-3.5.8 installed via .sfs file (along with OOo 2.2 and XFCE-4.4.2)... I guess I would need to get a language pack for KDE from GSlapt, jah? Hopefully I can find one somewhere still available for 3.5.8. Maybe Linuxpackages...

Danke Mark!

Amicalement/Cheers!

-jimmi-
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

MU

#245 Post by MU »

Salut mon frere :D
you had to run "chooselocale" from the menu, and select there "local" "fr_FR" or "fr_FR-utf8".

I think Muppy008.3 required "fr_FR", because some programs crashed with utf8.
But 008.4 has many upgraded versions, and when I checked the chinese languagepack, I chose zh_CN-utf8, and encountered no crashes at first sight.
So I would recomment to select "fr_FR-utf8".

The timezone is not set I think.
You can do it as usual with Puppys timezone utility.

KDE: the one for Muppy 008.4 is KDE 3.5.10.
It already includes french.

If you try to use an older one, you could try to install the languagepack from 3.5.10 with gslapt.
The newer versions were just bugfixes, so I think the languagepacks did not change.

All these are assumptions by me, nothing that I can guarantee.
We depend on feedback by the french speaking users to see, how good this pet works.

Mark

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#246 Post by Béèm »

Ne t'en fait pas Eyes-Only, cela ne changera pas ton horloge, car liée au 'timezone'.
Donc Montreal restera Montreal, tout comme Bruxelles restera Bruxelles.

Si fr_FR en locale est choisi, tu aura les messages des programmes en Français ainsi que le format des dates/chiffres selon la norme FR.
Mon locale est nl_BE@EURO et seulement les programmes traduites donnes les messages en NL.

Don't worry your clock is linked to timezone.
If locale fr_FR is chosen programs which have support for French will give the messages in French. Date/data format will be in the French definition. f.e. My locale is nl_BE@EURO. Only programmes with a translation to Dutch will give messages in Dutch.

Bonne soirée.
Time savers:

Sit Heel Speak

#247 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Hi Mark,

Muppy 8.4c Live DVD gives me the same problem as Ray (on page 14 of this thread) and Fishy. Also, neither PBurn 2.03 (in Puppy 4.0-k2.6.25) nor 2.09 (in your SMP 4.1) will burn the .iso, but I succeeded with TkDVD from Rudy Puppy--but, it takes about one hour to burn, it goes at .4-.5x speed.

Copying msy_084.sfs to a hard disk partition, as you advised Fishy, solves the Ray-and-Fishy problem. I am posting this from Muppy-8.4c's Firefox, booted from the live DVD, using the msy_084.sfs-on-disk.

Firefox looks good, runs very fast, and there is no Insert key problem.

I also created a full install by mounting the live-DVD from your SMP 4.1, copying the contents of msy_084.sfs and vmlinuz and modifying grub's menu.lst, will try that next.

Xorgwizard does not correctly set up my FX 6200 video card, I must use xvesa, so will try the new (October 7) driver from nVidia and will report back.

So far, it looks great and runs like lightning!

Thanks for this amazing distro!

Sit Heel Speak

#248 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Performance of Muppy 8.4c on my rig varies with size of swap partition.

With 256MB of swap, swap is 99-100% used and Muppy is slow.

At 2GB of swap, usage is ~57% and Muppy is very slow.

At 1GB of swap, usage is over 90% and Muppy runs like lightning.

djringjr

#249 Post by djringjr »

I am having the same problem (exactly) that Ray reported and to which MU responded.
However, your error is very untypical.
If it is an issue with your DVD drive, you might have luck using a frugal installation.
As you used k3b to burn, there is already another Linux?
If yes, one might just copy vmlinuz, initrd.gz, msy_084.sfs and zmsy_084.sfs to an own folder like /muppy0084.
Then add some lines to the grub bootloader from the other Linux.
I am trying to do a frugal IDE-HD install of PuppyEMC301 - which is a special radio Puppy Linux.

I titled the subdirectory: puppyradio301 and put zdrive.sfs and puppy301.sfs in this directory along with IDEHD, initrd.gz, and vmlinuz.. I have the pup_save.2fs file in the root directory.

The root directory also has directories "boot" and "puppyradio301".

My menu .lst file contains:

Code: Select all

title Puppy Linux 301 frugal
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /puppyradio301/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd psubdir=puppyradio301
initrd /puppyradio301/initrd.gz
No joy yet in this! I just wanted to see how it worked and if it worked faster this way!

Best

djringjr

MU

#250 Post by MU »

try:
kernel /puppyradio301/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd psubdir=puppyradio301 pdev1=hda1
With this line, all 5 files must be in /puppyradio301 on the first harddisk.
(initrd.gz, vmlinuz, pup_301.sfs, zdrv_301.sfs, pup_save.2fs).

If that also fails, copy only pup_301.sfs to "/" on the harddisk.
Then when you boot from CD, this one is used, and not the one on CD.
This is almost as fast as a frugal installation, as the largest file now is used on the fast harddisk.

Mark

RCopperhead

#251 Post by RCopperhead »

I've had a little installation trouble with 8.4c and c3. I've got a HP dv9308nr and the boot hangs at the Loading kernel part at the beginning and when I finally get to the xorg screen, I get cascade failure.

I popped the 8.4c3 disc into my wife's Acer Aspire 3000 laptop, and it boots up cleanly, xorg puts a 1024x768 screen right up. Everything looks great! I was nice to finally see what the excitement is about. The burn is obviously fine.

Back to the HP. Any reason Muppy would not like my laptop? Puppy 4.1 boots right up no problem. I boot him up with the Live CD w/ a save file.

Thanks for reading,

RC

Sit Heel Speak

#252 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

RCopperhead wrote:I've had a little installation trouble with 8.4c and c3. I've got a HP dv9308nr...
Mark is probably asleep or in church. However, it is 2AM Sunday morning here in Seattle and I can't sleep.

I notice: that notebook has an AMD 64 dual core Turion CPU, I don't know what chipset. Perhaps nVidia?

@Mark: in the course of my endeavour to follow your steps in the other (SMP 4.1) thread, I've discovered the wonderful diff command.

Code: Select all

diff  -a -b -y --ignore-blank-lines --ignore-case --ignore-space-change DOTconfig-K2.6.25.15-10AUG08  DOTconfig-K2.6.25.16-26AUG08-STANDARD > diff.txt
leafpad diff.txt
makes it very easy to see the differences between the SMP 4.1-alpha-6 kernel, and the non-SMP official 4.1 kernel.

Perhaps you could run a similar diff on DOTconfig-K2.6.25.16-26AUG08-STANDARD (the official 4.1 kernel) and the dot-config for Muppy, and see if there is an AMD-CPU-specific or chipset-specific missing CONFIG setting.

HTH,
SHS

RCopperhead

#253 Post by RCopperhead »

DV9308nr:

1.6Ghz x2 Turion 64
2GB Ram (4GB installed)
GeForce Go 6150 NVidea
BroadCom Wireless

RC

Béèm

From mini to live

#254 Post by Béèm »

In order to continue my quest to bring the installed mini to the level of live, do I only have to download the addons and a OOo sfs or are there other downloads to make?
Time savers:

d4p

#255 Post by d4p »

Hi MU,
Just gave a try last night Muppy-mini&live 008.4c in vbox.
cpu usages on both were not going under 55%

RCopperhead

Re: From mini to live

#256 Post by RCopperhead »

Béèm wrote:In order to continue my quest to bring the installed mini to the level of live, do I only have to download the addons and a OOo sfs or are there other downloads to make?
For the 8.4c release go to ftp://ks301128.kimsufi.com/Muppy0084/final/C/
Addon-Common to find KDE, Gnome, Dev, and goodies separately
Mini-MegaPack to get Office, KDE, Gnome, Dev and Games in one pack
Mini-English to get Addons, Office and games separately.

Get the megapack, goodies and addons to go with your save file, and that should be the equivalent of the Live DVD.

Béèm

Re: From mini to live

#257 Post by Béèm »

RCopperhead wrote:
Béèm wrote:In order to continue my quest to bring the installed mini to the level of live, do I only have to download the addons and a OOo sfs or are there other downloads to make?
For the 8.4c release go to ftp://ks301128.kimsufi.com/Muppy0084/final/C/
Addon-Common to find KDE, Gnome, Dev, and goodies separately
Mini-MegaPack to get Office, KDE, Gnome, Dev and Games in one pack
Mini-English to get Addons, Office and games separately.

Get the megapack, goodies and addons to go with your save file, and that should be the equivalent of the Live DVD.
Thanks, it gives me an idea, but I have to be careful as I am in a full hdd environment, so no pup_save file.

I have to experiment what happens when trying f.e. both gnome and kde.
Time savers:

Ron

#258 Post by Ron »

As a fairly new but avid Linux and Puppy user, I would like to make a few comments. I love Puppy for many reasons. I have been running Puppy 4 from a CD-only and I love this system of booting fast from a CD, loading to RAM with a save file on the existing partition. I have an aversion to partitioning/formatting my existing drive (XP on NTFS) and having to deal with a GRUB on bootup. Puppy's system allows a complete, fast, "dual boot" system without the need for all of that. So far, I don't see the need for even a frugal install, at least for me, and if and when the system crashes, it is so easy to replace with a single backed up file. I should mention this Forum also; these people are the greatest.

However, I have found myself looking for a distro that offers these advantages but with a more comprehensive package inclusion and with access to a more comprehensive and central repository. I admire the resource efficiency of Puppy and it is important, but installing new or updated software is difficult for an unsophisticated user unless there happens to be a .pet for what you want. I do admire and thank all the people like muggins and the others who keep providing pet's when they see a need.

Anyway, this newest Muppy looks like just what I need. I am a bit confused by the various options and I need a little advice on which option is best to use for my hardware system in everyday use. Here are my requirements:
1. 512 MB RAM, although I would be willing to go to 1GB if necessary.
2. Boot relatively fast from CD (or DVD) or possibly USB flash drive. Main thing here is that I wish to avoid formatting even for a frugal install or a swap space, unless there is a great advantage.
3. I'm perfectly willing to use the .sfs files. In fact, I think they are a great way of installing stuff. I would like to be able to use all of the available packages offered and possibly try KDE.

My questions:
1. Would my best option be to use the Mini on CD to boot from (similar to how I'm doing with Puppy) and then install all the necessary .sfs files to my existing partition? Am I correct that this would provide the fastest CD boot and require the least RAM?
2. If I do use the Mini + sfs option, would there be any advantage to installing more RAM than the 512 I now have? I would probably install all of the sfs files offered, but I'm not really a power user with many apps going at once. Of course, I want to avoid any problems with insufficient memory and no swap space.
3. Do the Service Packs become part of the save file or how are they handled?
4. What is the most efficient way to get everything after Mini? Am I right that absolutely everything can be had with Muppy-Mini.iso + addons.sfs + megapack.sfs?

Any additional advice would be appreciated, too.

Enough questions for now. Thanks MU for this huge effort and others for help in the past.

Ron

MU

#259 Post by MU »

Ron
1. 512 MB RAM,
512 MB should be fine.
My notebook has 256 MB only, and works great.
It works better with the big iso (800 MB), because then, the msy_084.sfs is mounted from disk, and not loaded to Ram.
If the mini is loaded to ram (with only 256 MB), there is not much left for the applications.
But with 512 MB, all versions should work fine.
Just OpenOffice might require more, it might force you to create swap or add more ram.
But before you buy something, try it out first!
2. Boot relatively fast from CD (or DVD) or possibly USB flash drive.
if you copy only msy_084.sfs and zmsy_084.sfs to your harddrive, the system boots very fast.
Then only the small initrd.gz and vmlinuz are used from the slow CD,
The big system itself then is loaded from the two files on your harddisk.
3. Do the Service Packs become part of the save file or how are they handled?
yes.
4. What is the most efficient way to get everything after Mini? Am I right that absolutely everything can be had with Muppy-Mini.iso + addons.sfs + megapack.sfs?
yes, that's it :)

Mark

zgp152

#260 Post by zgp152 »

Hi,

When I reboot after using Muppy, I have sometimes a bit hurry to get the live DVD station open for removal of the disk before the dual Win/Puppy boot system takes over. Muppy seems to leave always the disk in?

I would enjoy having a couple of steps more. One live CD distro does exactly this.

The system ejects the CD/DVD, then asks to remove it and when the station is closed again, it will finally switch off.

zgp 152