pnethood - samba share mounter

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
disciple

#241 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:I've found that I need to enter a username (can be anything) to mount shares with cifs on 4.31, which I didn't need on 4.1.1. Other people have reported this elsewhere, although I'm not sure if it is just on 4.3.x or not.
Aha, Shinobar has a fix, and Barry has an updated package... somewhere http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01295
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#242 Post by disciple »

clarf, I'm not certain how your domain shares work. Do they show up in Pnethood somehow, and you just can't mount them? What if you put in your domain username and password and press the rescan button?
I think the answer is that they don't show up at all, but I'm not sure...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

lion833

#243 Post by lion833 »

lucb wrote:maybe try user: domain_user@domain
thanks, it works. :lol: :lol:

disciple

#244 Post by disciple »

So presumably this doesn't apply in your case lion833. Is that right?
clarf wrote: I can´t access the share resource form a specific domain machine...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

clarf

#245 Post by clarf »

disciple wrote:clarf, I'm not certain how your domain shares work. Do they show up in Pnethood somehow, and you just can't mount them?

disciple thanks for reply, All network machines are shown by Pnethood, when I click some machine its shares are not shown...
disciple wrote: What if you put in your domain username and password and press the rescan button?
I think the answer is that they don't show up at all, but I'm not sure...
I tried the refresh button using domain@user_domain and user_domain@domain, also tried rescan all Network, but nothing.

Form Windows I can use those share resources using a domain name. In Pnethood I have to create a locale machine user in the remote server and assign shares to that local user, but Domain ID credentials are not recognized by Pnethood. Does Pnethood is configured for domain authentication?. I found some info here about the needed samba configuration:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/configure- ... ntication/

I attach some pics for a better explanation.

clarf
Attachments
shares_1.jpg
Machine's shares are not shown, using some domain names combinations.
(34.74 KiB) Downloaded 2819 times
shares.jpg
Network machines are found by Pnethood
(33.4 KiB) Downloaded 2788 times

disciple

#246 Post by disciple »

Patriot has written this new gui (and is also getting some help from HairyWill) which I think will replace pnethood:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 170#378170.
I think it would be good to try it and then post in its thread if it doesn't work either.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

clarf

#247 Post by clarf »

disciple wrote:Patriot has written this new gui (and is also getting some help from HairyWill) which I think will replace pnethood:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 170#378170.
I think it would be good to try it and then post in its thread if it doesn't work either.
Hi disciple,

I made some code modifications to Pnethood and now I can connect to my Domain shares using Domain authentication... I´ll post the changes made to Pnethood.

Added in line 316 from /usr/local/apps/pnethood script, the -W Domain_name:

Code: Select all

smbclient -U "${USERNAMES[$I]}%${PASSWORDS[$I]}" -W Domain_name -L "${SERVERNAMES[$I]}"

After that I get the full share list in Pnethood for my Domain, so I did some connection test to that shares using smbmount:

smbmount //192.168.236.40/my_share /mnt/network/IT-FOR-PEOPLE/ -o username=Administrador,password=my_password,workgroup=Domain_name
I could mount the remote share from command line, after that I searched in Pnethood the code to mount shares, Then i updated the script /usr/local/apps/func_mount adding the ",workgroup=Domain_name" code.

line 28:

mount-FULL -t cifs "//${IP}/${SHARE}" "${MOUNTPOINT}" -o "${SERVERNETBIOSNAME}username=${USERNAME},password=${PASSWORD},iocharset=utf8,workgroup=Domain_name" 2>>${TMP}log 
line 34:

smbmount "//${IP}/${SHARE}" "${MOUNTPOINT}" -o "username=${USERNAME},password=${PASSWORD},workgroup=Domain_Name"
As you see I burned the Domain_name in the Pnethood code. Anyway it´s possible to update the Pnethood GUI code to add a checkbox for Domain and then activates a entry for the Domain Name, with that option some little modification could be done to set a Domain_name variable in the smbmount and mount code, in this way Pnethood will fully enable Domain authentication feature.

I hope that HairyWill could see this post, I tried to can´t him before for my particular problem but he never reply to my PM...

I´ll try to add the full GUI functionality but this project is not mine, I´ll wait to have an answer for HairyWill, actually I want to know if he´ll support this application in a near future or he totally abandoned this project.

Greetings,
clarf

HairyWill

#248 Post by HairyWill »

Hi Clarf, I'm glad you got it working and thanks for the feedback. I think that Patriots's new lameSMBxplorer will soon replace pnethood. I suspect that he will need to do one or two more releases to reach a stable version but I will not release a new version of pnethood whilst this is taking place.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

ttuuxxx

#249 Post by ttuuxxx »

HairyWill wrote:Hi Clarf, I'm glad you got it working and thanks for the feedback. I think that Patriots's new lameSMBxplorer will soon replace pnethood. I suspect that he will need to do one or two more releases to reach a stable version but I will not release a new version of pnethood whilst this is taking place.
Hi HairyWill, I read your post and well, don't you think its a bit premature to stop updating Pnethood? I had 2.14X users try the latest lameSMBxplorer because I was thinking about replacing Pnethood because there hasn't been any updates for such a long time. 1300 downloads :) nice
The result from the trial test were like 75% negative, It could take months before it reaches RC level. Pnethood on the otherside is Rc quality, I don't see a conflict issue here, If anything lameSMBxplorer would compliment Pnethood.

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

jrb

#250 Post by jrb »

Welcome Back HairyWill, :D
I've missed your calm expertise. I want to say thanks for pnethood too. I've never had any problem with it in Puppy4. I'm running it right now from an SFS I made and it hooks up flawlessly both to Windows machines and other Puppy machines running Samba sever.

Thanks again, J

clarf

#251 Post by clarf »

Hi HairyWill, Thanks for reply.

I tried lameSMBxplorer and well What could I say it didn´t work, just don´t know what kind of shares it look for... I tried to use shared resources with full access permissions, then tried to login in local machine user/password but nothing, I suppose Domain authentication don´t work either.

I must add that I like Pnethood, it works, it´s fast and have a good look and feel. Is sad to know that you won´t update Pnethood any more, I´ll try to help Patriot´s application and give feedback but to be honest, lameSMBxplorer gives me a bad first impression...

In a side note, I found that if I leave the ",workgroup=$Domain_Name" code in the func_mount script, I can use shared resources for local machines authentication, even if workgroup is empty, smbmount ignores this parameter and connects with the local machine credentials.

Many thanks for Pnethood HairyWell, Greetings

clarf.

sheldonisaac

pnethood "no shares"

#252 Post by sheldonisaac »

(portions snipped)
jrb wrote: I've never had any problem with it in Puppy4.
I need help.
Puppy 4.31 on Acer Aspire One.

nbtscan 192.168.1.95/20
Doing NBT name scan for addresses from 192.168.1.95/20

IP address NetBIOS Name Server User MAC address
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
192.168.1.0 Sendto failed: Permission denied
192.168.1.100 ASUSSHELLY <server> SHELDON 00-30-bd-03-2d-d5
/>

init_iconv: Attempting to replace with conversion from UTF-16BE to ASCII
Error connecting to 63.251.179.13 (Connection refused)
ASUSSHELLY still reports no shares,
checking mount in case there are shares mounted already
Trying to contact ASUSSHELLY, no shares reported
finished probing

Why try to connect to 63.251.179.13 ? Is this related to pnethood not finding shares on the Windows 98SE computer?

Thanks a lot.

disciple

#253 Post by disciple »

I don't know if it will do anything differently, but please try lameSMBexplorer and see if it works http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 170#378170

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

clarf

code bug in pnethood-0.6.5 and quick solution

#254 Post by clarf »

Hi HairyWill,

I just found a code bug in pnethood-0.6.5. The offending code at line 19 is:

[ -e "$/tmp/pnethood/log" -a $(du /tmp/pnethood/log | sed 's/\([0-9]*\).*/\1/') -gt 100 ] && : > ${TMP}log #clear log at 100K
Actually the clear operation does not work, because the test command "-e" is evaluating a invalid string (in this case the $ sign is the culpable). This peace of code also shows a shell error (too many arguments and du cannot access log file) if the /tmp/pnethood/log path does not exits, indicating that it fails to evaluate both tests.

A functional code without errors is:

if [ -e "/tmp/pnethood/log" ] && [ $(du /tmp/pnethood/log | sed 's/\([0-9]*\).*/\1/') -gt 100 ]; then
: > ${TMP}log #clear log at 100K
fi
With this new code, the log file is effectively cleaned when it grows beyond the 100kB. The first test command prevents the du command to execute if the file does not exist.

Others implementations for this solution can be applied, but this it the first I implemented (and it actually works as desired)

HairyWill, I Hope to see a new pnethood version soon, there are many users that stills like it.

Greetings,
clarf

Arthur

seconded

#255 Post by Arthur »

clarf wrote:
I must add that I like Pnethood, it works, it´s fast and have a good look and feel. Is sad to know that you won´t update Pnethood any more,
Absolutely - it's one of the programs on puppy which gets the most use. Along with grsynch it is how I keep my files in order. Only improvement I can think of is making it more forgiving of faliure to disconnect from the samba share before the share disappears - human error is a terrible thing and I've trashed my puppy this way a few times. :roll:

clarf

#256 Post by clarf »

I recently found some small bugs in Pnethood and I want to share my fixes, at same time I want to join some Pnethood patches that I found in the Puppy forum and make a new version to add those changes.

I know there are many Pnethood variants that fixes some things. That is a problem because confuse users about which is the latest version, makes the report of new bugs a problem (they could be already fixed in some private version) and without an unificated version its difficult to further support Pnethood.

HairyWill already mentioned he will not support Pnethood anymore. So, I sent a PM to HairyWill three months ago, basically I requested and approval to launch an official new version by myself, but he seems to be very busy and out of any Puppy Linux development in this moment.

I´ll wait a little more for an answer. Meanwhile I´ll continue to test this beta new Pnethood "0.6.6 version" of mine.

Any comment is welcome

Greetings,
clarf

clarf

#257 Post by clarf »

duplicated

disciple

#258 Post by disciple »

If you want to maintain a single pnethood package, be aware that one of the fixes that makes it work with more recent puppies also stops it from working on slightly older puppies.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

clarf

#259 Post by clarf »

disciple wrote:If you want to maintain a single pnethood package, be aware that one of the fixes that makes it work with more recent puppies also stops it from working on slightly older puppies.
Thanks for the advice disciple.

I took the official 0.6.5 version as the regular base and then applied one for one all the fixes I have, these fixes are very specific and I don´t think anything will be broken for any puppy version.

I haven´t seen any fix to make it work with more recent puppies yet. But I´ll do a cross version test.

salutes,
clarf

disciple

#260 Post by disciple »

Are you using any patches to the mount command?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER