Fatdog64-800 Alpha / Beta [20 Dec 2018] [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
dr. Dan

#241 Post by dr. Dan »

@SFR, 1. From the repo.
2. xfe, BibleTime, plus all their dependancies, and I used Gslapt to mark and install all upgrades.

My laptop fan started running at full speed, so I brought up htop. Fatdog-control-panel.sh, fatdog-startup-manager.sh and fatdog-service-manager.sh were all running, see image below.
Attachments
xscreenshot-20190106T191048.png
(35.58 KiB) Downloaded 138 times

SFR

#242 Post by SFR »

@h2sammo3 & @dr. Dan
Ok, thanks for the feedback, I can reproduce it.
Mystery solved - both of you have gtk-server upgraded to version 2.4.4.
We built it to see if it resolves another, minor issue (when you keep resizing Control Panel's window, it freezes at some point), but it didn't, so we decided to stick to the previous version.
I guess we should've removed it from repo as well.

Anyway, please downgrade to v2.3.1sr to confirm.

Thanks again &
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Octagon

Feedback Fatdog64-800 Beta

#243 Post by Octagon »

Hi Fatdog team,

Many thanks for all the work you are putting into Puppy and especially fatdog. My feedback so far is very positive testing it on two different machines. PC1 is for work and not of much interest ;) but I wanted to give it a try anyway. PC2 is where my heart is, I am focused on high quality audio output into my system. But let’s focus on the feedback:

Fatdog64-800 beta
USB 1GB USB stick FAT32, ISO installed with Rufus from W7 PC
Frugal install
Ram mode
Different scenarios:
No save file/one save file/several save files
With/without any hd installed
With/without additional Data SSD attached via USB 2.0

PC1:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090 T
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
ATI Radeon HD 4250
Tascam US-144 MKII external sound controller

Starting without any issues, wire network connection working fine, no cpu activities like reported elsewhere. Tascam sound card is not recognized as I expected. VLC is running without any issues nicely.

PC2:
Intel Core I5 4460
AsRock B85M Pro4
Intel HD4600
Mutec MC3.1 + USB

Starting without any issues, no cpu activities like reported elsewhere. Mutec sound card detected as expected, it is xmos based. VLC video quality is better as my stripped fatdog64 700, 710 or 710 with RT Kernel versions.

Recognized some issues for me with VLC as (mp4)video with 44,1kHz were constantly sent out with 48kHz upsampled although resampling in Alsa was switched off. VLC seems to be a bit sensitive regarding the follow up on the steps. I do need the native digital signal unchanged. Following solved the issue:
Reset VLC to standard, close, save and reboot.
Check alsa: no resampling
Open VLC and choose your favorite settings for audio, close, save and test.

Let me know if I have been too much in details or you miss some information, I am the new kid around here and happy to learn.

Take care
Thomas

h2sammo3

#244 Post by h2sammo3 »

@h2sammo3 & @dr. Dan
Ok, thanks for the feedback, I can reproduce it.
Mystery solved - both of you have gtk-server upgraded to version 2.4.4.
We built it to see if it resolves another, minor issue (when you keep resizing Control Panel's window, it freezes at some point), but it didn't, so we decided to stick to the previous version.
I guess we should've removed it from repo as well.

Anyway, please downgrade to v2.3.1sr to confirm.

Thanks again &
Greetings!
i downgraded to v2.3.1sr and that took care of the problem. thank you!

h2sammo3

#245 Post by h2sammo3 »

i want to bring to your attention a different problem i had over the weekend. I was at my kids gym and tried to boot fatdog64-800 on the gym owner's macbook pro. it booted all the way but i had no control over keyboard or mousepad. I did have control over keyboard however at grub.cfg point of boot. Very annoying to use that keyboard because it does not have any function or tab keys so i could not boot (no F10 key) with changes i made to boot lines. would be useful to have other options for mac keyboards which dont have those function keys.

Also, i tried all the boot options available (unmodified) such as problematic nvidia driver, problematic radeon driver, etc. same result with all. boots to very high res screen but i cannot move mouse not use keyboard.

i dont have access to that laptop on a regular basis to help troubleshoot but i figured id let you guys know anyways. maybe there is a quick fix.

mavrothal

#246 Post by mavrothal »

h2sammo3 wrote:i want to bring to your attention a different problem i had over the weekend. I was at my kids gym and tried to boot fatdog64-800 on the gym owner's macbook pro. it booted all the way but i had no control over keyboard or mousepad.
Was it a newer macbook (2017/8 with a touchbar)? They are not fully supported by linux yet. Specially booting from USB.
Next time you have a chance try booting with the kernel option "acpi=off". Has been reported to work with trouble macs, albeit with no hardware acceleration and increased CPU usage.

Also on the Mac side check undee "apple sign">About This Mac"> System Report...>Hardware Overview for the "Model Identifier" to be sure about the trouble model and look for specific solution.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

p310don

Google Cloud Print CUPS

#247 Post by p310don »

I tried out the cups-cloud-print program in FD800B

It doesn't work.

It tries to. It loads my google account, and it tries to load all of my cloud printers, but doesn't quite get there. This is the terminal output:
# /usr/share/cloudprint-cups/setupcloudprint.py
You currently have these accounts configured:
xxxxxx@gmail.com
Error adding: GCP-Samsung_CLP-360_Series
(1280, u'server-error-internal-error')
Error adding: GCP-Samsung_CLP-360_Series
Error adding: GCP-Samsung_SEC30CDA79478C6
Error adding: GCP-Samsung_SEC30CDA79478C6
Error adding: GCP-Save_to_Google_Drive
Error adding: GCP-Save_to_Google_Drive
Error adding: GCP-Brother
Error adding: GCP-Brother
Error adding: GCP-Brother_HL-L2350DW_series_on_1921681169
Error adding: GCP-Brother_HL-L2350DW_series_on_1921681169
Error adding: GCP-BrotherC5
Error adding: GCP-BrotherC5
Error adding: GCP-BrotherDL
Error adding: GCP-BrotherDL
Error adding: GCP-BrotherSam
Error adding: GCP-BrotherSam
Error adding: GCP-Samsung_M283x_Series_on_192168164
Error adding: GCP-Samsung_M283x_Series_on_192168164
Error adding: GCP-CUPS-PDF
Error adding: GCP-CUPS-PDF
Added 10 new printers to CUPS
Going to localhost:631 none of the printers are present.

don570

#248 Post by don570 »

Just a note that I found two packages in repository that won't download...

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/71 ... 4.14.6.sfs

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/72 ... 4.14.6.sfs

h2sammo3

#249 Post by h2sammo3 »

i dont know where i should ask this so I will try here: what is the purpose of the white rEFInd MOK utility which comes up for 10 seconds before boot goes into grub.cfg options?
can i shorten the wait duration? how?
can (should) i disable it?

step

#250 Post by step »

don570 wrote:Just a note that I found two packages in repository that won't download...

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/71 ... 4.14.6.sfs

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/72 ... 4.14.6.sfs
Thank you. The 710 and 720 SFS repos are one and the same, so it's the same SFS that fails downloading. You're right, it's a 404 not found error message, so the file isn't found on the server or it can't be read.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

foxpup

#251 Post by foxpup »

h2sammo3 wrote:i dont know where i should ask this so I will try here: what is the purpose of the white rEFInd MOK utility which comes up for 10 seconds before boot goes into grub.cfg options?
can i shorten the wait duration? how?
can (should) i disable it?
The 10 second wait for rEFInd is set in refind.conf. You can change it there.
If you want to go straight to grub without any delay, you set "timeout 0".

rEFInd is quite elegant and not too difficult.
I think that Fatdog (or Slacko 6.3.2) was in fact the first "Puppy" that managed EFI boot with it.
So it is not entirely out of place to put your question here.

Fatdog and many other distros use rEFInd as a bootmanager. It is then a first stage.
It may proceed to windows boot manager or grub2 or boot a init/kernel directly or go into BIOS/firmware interface or ... .
rEFInd can also, as the name suggests, search and find EFI bootable configurations on the computer.
This makes it also interesting as a rescue tool, when booting does not work right away.

I am not sure that the Mokmanager (machine owner key manager) comes from rEFInd. It is probably from grub2.
It is there because Fatdog, unlike other Puppies, can boot in 'secure boot'.
I have secure boot turned off in my machine, so I don't need it.
'Secure' here does not mean safe, it just means that you are sure ms got money for it. :evil:

If you want to bypass rEFInd entirely, you may have to go into your BIOS/firmware interface.
There you will probably see rEFInd is the first boot option. If you see/have other options, you can put another one on top.
BTW, if you have windows or some major linux (ubuntu) on your computer and they update, it is possible they will, without asking you, put their own boot on top! :D :evil:

p310don

Mouse no longer clicks

#252 Post by p310don »

I have broken my mouse.

I say I have, because I assume it was me, but you never know. The last thing I recall doing was messingg with Sven to make the calculator key open galculator. Then my mouse stopped clicking.

That was last night. crtl-alt-backspace poweroff, go to bed.

I woke up this morning, having forgotten about it. Booted up, no mouse click. My mouse has 5 buttons, none of them click. Rebooted, still the same. Booted into Xenial, no problems. Rebooted FD, problem remains. Rebooted FD no savefile, no problems.

Note, only the buttons don't work. The mouse moves the cursor fine, the scroll wheel works. I have noticed that on buttons that change upon a mouse click, they change, but they don't click.

Obviously something broke in my saved setup, but I don't even know where to start.

Perhaps with sven?

xorg.conf?

any suggestions appreciated.

edit: I have copied the sven files from no save file to my saved setup, that didn't help. I ran xorgwizard from console, after selecting nvidia video driver, you need to click the "OK" box. It worked there, but doesn't work on the desktop

dr. Dan

Fatdog64 Service Manager

#253 Post by dr. Dan »

In >Control Panel>Manage Servers and Services, Network Tool is not listed, but _Wpagui_ (no hyphen) is. This should be consistent for the new users.

Dan

p310don

#254 Post by p310don »

RE mouse issues above

I don't know the cause exactly, but I can confirm the issues is with SVEN as I have recreated it in two more save files.

The only way to undo the problem seems to be to open a terminal (which is a PITA without a mouse) and killall sven

SFR

#255 Post by SFR »

p310don wrote:I don't know the cause exactly,
So, you can't provide the steps to reproduce this issue?
p310don wrote:but I can confirm the issues is with SVEN as I have recreated it in two more save files.
Do you, by any chance, still have ~/.sven config dir with this problematic configuration?
If so, please archive and attach it here.
p310don wrote:The only way to undo the problem seems to be to open a terminal (which is a PITA without a mouse) and killall sven
Some alternatives:
  • Win+T - Urxvt
  • Alt+F1 - Menu (you can browse it using a keyboard)
  • Alt+F2 - GExec
  • Alt+F3 - Findnrun
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

p310don

#256 Post by p310don »

Do you, by any chance, still have ~/.sven config dir with this problematic configuration?

Yes. I renamed it, copied the default sven from a nosavefile FD and then restarted, and it worked (albeit without my customisations).

I have since done the same customisations and it works fine. I don't know what the cause is. I think it has something to do with clicking "apply" instead of "ok" as that is the only variation I have made in the way I have done things.
Attachments
svenBAK.tar.gz
(770 Bytes) Downloaded 133 times

Gordie

#257 Post by Gordie »

Fatdog64 800 Beta works well for me. dd it to a usb stick and played for a couple of hours. Wifi works on my Lenovo W-510 laptop
--
Cheers
Gordie
Slackware64-Current, Thinkpad W510, Intel i7, 8G/500G, Lilo / Legacy.
Fatdog64 + 6 Puppies on USB flash drives.
Windows 10 / Slackware64-Current, HP desktop, Intel Core2 Duo, 4G/500G/250G, Lilo / Legacy.

h2sammo3

#258 Post by h2sammo3 »

i have not been able to install this installation deb file. i have tried to google instructions. I have deb and rpm installation files but have not made succefull install from either on. Can anyone make fatdog gslapt packages for everyone to use and add to repository?
i think it would be a good addition.

cheers!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E99pe ... ORXS5O7yED

SFR

#259 Post by SFR »

p310don wrote:

Yes. I renamed it, copied the default sven from a nosavefile FD and then restarted, and it worked (albeit without my customisations).

I have since done the same customisations and it works fine. I don't know what the cause is. I think it has something to do with clicking "apply" instead of "ok" as that is the only variation I have made in the way I have done things.
Ok, thanks.
The culprit is this specific setting in mouse_config (also, see screenshot):

Code: Select all

[0:0]
type=sem
enable=1
description=Paste
command=Control+v
comment=
Button mouse code is set to 0, what indeed blocks all buttons for some reason.
Did you actually enter 0 in 'Button mouse code' entry field in GUI, or it just appeared there by itself somehow?

Greetings!
Attachments
sven_mouse.png
(30.4 KiB) Downloaded 499 times

p310don

#260 Post by p310don »

Did you actually enter 0 in 'Button mouse code' entry field in GUI, or it just appeared there by itself somehow?
One time that it happened, I was changing the default email from thunderbird.sh (which doesn't work) to thunderbird - and then the mouse thing happened.