Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rerwin

Modem patch available

#2381 Post by rerwin »

jemimah, Toy4,
I have put together a small package with improvements to the "-7" version of modem support. If you have already installed the pup_event...-5 and modem...-7 packages the patch should be all you need to add to puppeee:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 523#435523

I you have not yet installed those earlier packages, you can get them from the first posting in that same thread.
Richard

jemimah

#2382 Post by jemimah »

Ok, I've updated the modem scripts.

Puppeee 1.0 should be out in the next few days once I'm done testing everything.

zicozico

upcoming 1.0

#2383 Post by zicozico »

i hope the 1.0 will have the hibernate, save to partition again as this is my most wanted feature and the reason i am still on rc6

jemimah

#2384 Post by jemimah »

I haven't removed hibernation, at least not intentionally. Are you having trouble with it?

Also, save to partition never should have worked with Puppeee because it has a zdrive. If you save to partition, you won't get any kernel modules and also you can't load sfs files. Well, maybe they'll load if you have them on a different partition than the one you saved to (does the boot manager allow that?). My intention is to test the AUFS patch that would fix this for Puppeee 1.1.

Toy4

Re: Modem patch available

#2385 Post by Toy4 »

rerwin wrote:jemimah, Toy4,
I have put together a small package with improvements to the "-7" version of modem support. If you have already installed the pup_event...-5 and modem...-7 packages the patch should be all you need to add to puppeee:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 523#435523

I you have not yet installed those earlier packages, you can get them from the first posting in that same thread.
Richard

OK, I installed those 2 packages that weren't there and then the update you just posted. I tried the modem again and it couldn't find it. I took it out and put it back several times and
tried probe and it finally found the modem and when I tried to connect it tried but wouldn't connect. I have attached the diagnostic file. Please view and advise a course of action.
Asus EeePc 900A w/Puppeee1.0 with 3G modem (Sierra 598U)
AMD Duron 797Mhz w/Puppy4.31 & Puppy2.14& Puppy4.20
Dell Dimension 2350 w/Quirky1.20Retro & Lucid Puppy5.10& Wolfe020

eeepuppy

wine and picasa for puppeee

#2386 Post by eeepuppy »

Actually in my eeepc run puppeee rc7 with my full satisfaction.
Now i have a question about wine and picasa: wich is the better way to
install them? .pet or .sfs file or .deb file? (i see that some .deb apps can be installed simply clicking on icon and managed with petmanager).
Many thanks in advance for you suggestion.
I have the followings .sfs installed:
aMSN 098B
Openoffice 3.2
Skype static 2.1.0.81
Maniadrive-1.2
May i have problems installing Picasa and wine .sfs?
Last edited by eeepuppy on Thu 22 Jul 2010, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#2387 Post by jemimah »

It's better not to use a deb if there is a pet or sfs available - often the deb won't have a menu entry or may have dependency problems, or other things that someone who packaged it for Puppy would have taken care of.

I prefer to use SFS for packages larger than 5 or 10MB. I try to avoid putting a lot of stuff in the save file, because I have AUFS corruption issues from time to time, and it's easier to backup/restore a small save file.

I believe you are limited to having 6 sfs files at a time. It is possible to combine sfs files together to get around this problem.

Let me know how the Wine sfs works. I've never had much use for Wine so I'm pretty unfamiliar with it.

C Babbage

#2388 Post by C Babbage »

Great work Jemimah

I'm about to purchase a new netbook and am wondering if Puppeee will run on the new Asus 1015 and/or 1018 models?

Specifically will sound, wifi, and X work?

The specs aren't posted on the Asus site yet
but the netbooks are OVERPRICED at Best Buy

Thank you,

jemimah

#2389 Post by jemimah »

Without very specific specs, I can't say.

What you can do is make a bring a Puppeee usb to Best Buy and try it. I think most of the time they'll let you do it without giving you any trouble.

Keep in mind that Best Buy models often have smaller batteries and possibly other downgrades as compared to what you can get online.

C Babbage

#2390 Post by C Babbage »

Thank you

Still shopping but I'll give it a try before buying

Regards

rerwin

Modem debug package

#2391 Post by rerwin »

Toy4,
Thanks for the diag file. I am not sure why the modem is not seen at boot-up, but once you got it recognized the driver got loaded and the firmware (init script) was placed. I have discovered some omissions in 7.1 and the need for more info, so have created a debug dotpet package to try. It is here, along with more details: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 365#436365
Just install it on what you already have from the last test. Thanks.
Richard

Jemimah, I will provide updates when I see the result of Toy4's test.

jamesbond

Intermezzo

#2392 Post by jamesbond »

Hehehe ... rc7, 160 pages, and still going strong. You have the staying power, jemimah, I admire you :) I've been on rc5 for a very long while, it works fine enough for me, perhaps it's time for me to upgrade ...

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

sandungas

#2393 Post by sandungas »

ops sorry, php fail (duplicated message)

Erase me !!!
Last edited by sandungas on Fri 23 Jul 2010, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

sandungas

#2394 Post by sandungas »

Can somebody explain me how to fix this 2 fails ?

The volume icon never seemed transparent for me in any of the beta releases i tested (almost all of them)... but jemimah has screen captures in her web with this same icon transparent
I dont understand where is the problem.... im beginning to think that this is a problem specific for my model (900HA)
Any tip is wellcome

The duplicated battery widget seems a problem with the last puppeee releases (if i remember correctly... it was fine in older betas)

jemimah

#2395 Post by jemimah »

Not sure about pwidgets, but to fix retrovol, go into the retrovol configuration, and use the color chooser at the bottom to set the color.

sandungas

#2396 Post by sandungas »

jemimah wrote:Not sure about pwidgets, but to fix retrovol, go into the retrovol configuration, and use the color chooser at the bottom to set the color.
Nice, this fixes the problem, with a black background matches perfect the taskbar icewm theme i used

Btw.. i tryed several icewm themes, and most of them fails (only worked around 4 or 5... of 40 tested)

There are some requisites for icewm themes that are needed for puppy ?
Inside themes folders.... taskbar changes seems to work in most of them... but there is something there that makes them fail

----------------------------------------

Im planning to install a touchscreem in the future, you asked before in the thread about this drivers
I wrote this thread time ago in another forum
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=85486
I guess the drivers are "standard" and provided by EETI
All this controller boards are clones of the original EETI design, and i guess the drivers are the same for all of them
I cant test them, but these are the drivers
http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/eg/drivers.htm

2lss

#2397 Post by 2lss »

Jemimah,

I'm having a bit of trouble with connecting my bluetooth mouse in the latest rc (its been a while since I used it)

The first time I set it up, it took about 20 seconds and worked fine. But after rebooting it will not connect, even if I delete the device in the preferences menu and try to reconnect. When reconnecting, it takes a long time and says its connected but the mouse does not work. I tried restarting the bluetooth service in init.d but I could not get the applet back in the tray (even after executing bluetooth.sh + zbluetooth-applet).

Any ideas on what could be wrong or where to look?

sandungas

#2398 Post by sandungas »

Maybe is a noob question, but there is some way to fully disable the HDD when booting ? (some kind of modifyer in the bootloader)

In 900HA model the main heat generator is the HDD... and the most battery consumption comes from it too (because the mechanical motors inside it)

Disabling the HDD can be a great performance boost for this models (usefull if running puppeee from SD or USB)

jemimah

#2399 Post by jemimah »

sandungas wrote: Nice, this fixes the problem, with a black background matches perfect the taskbar icewm theme i used

Btw.. i tryed several icewm themes, and most of them fails (only worked around 4 or 5... of 40 tested)

There are some requisites for icewm themes that are needed for puppy ?
Inside themes folders.... taskbar changes seems to work in most of them... but there is something there that makes them fail
You need to fix it every time you change the theme. Use the eyedropper to grab the correct color. I'm not sure what you are asking about themes. You should be able to find the Icepak pet if you search the forum that has like 200 themes in it and most of them work.

jemimah

#2400 Post by jemimah »

2lss wrote:Jemimah,

I'm having a bit of trouble with connecting my bluetooth mouse in the latest rc (its been a while since I used it)

The first time I set it up, it took about 20 seconds and worked fine. But after rebooting it will not connect, even if I delete the device in the preferences menu and try to reconnect. When reconnecting, it takes a long time and says its connected but the mouse does not work. I tried restarting the bluetooth service in init.d but I could not get the applet back in the tray (even after executing bluetooth.sh + zbluetooth-applet).

Any ideas on what could be wrong or where to look?
Reboot, then open the terminal.

Code: Select all

killall bluetoothd
bluetoothd -dn
That should give you diagnostic info. Not sure otherwise. My mouse hasn't given me a lot of trouble, when it does, usually deleting it and re-pairing it works.