Ripple Releases (Puppy with Compiz-fusion, more)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
davesurrey

#221 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Dinky,

I was using the 06-3 version which, I understood to contain the nvidia drivers. And as you now confirm, did.

Okay, I'll wait for version 4.
Thanks
dave

puppyluvr

#222 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
@Dinky,
Re the atom chipsets Yay! How have you gotten compiz-fusion under puppy running on them? Can you please list the stats of your machine make, model, etc, and tell us how you did this?
Havent got Compiz running on the atom, but have Puppy with Cairo-Dock.
Sorry if a misunderstanding...Am trying to get it up on the AAO but intel vidchip not working for xorg at all..
Im in the midst of a bad custody battle right now and havent a lot of time, but will let you know if I get it... will try more intel drivers and get back....

@Edit, curiously enough, seems that the AAO Pup was running in vesa too, but Cairo-Dock had transparency, so I assumed..

It says intel 82945 config...ect... but also says "unknown board
I believe if we can get xorg at all, we can get Compiz, as the i945 in my wifes dell does...
I think Ripple would be great on this AAO, and help offset the limited real-estate..
Will get back...
Last edited by puppyluvr on Thu 05 Feb 2009, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

dinky

#223 Post by dinky »

Good luck, thanks for the clarity. Cheers.
~dinky

puppyluvr

#224 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Edit again LOL
Well, I tried the no_detect=yes in compiz-manager,
No joy....

Does Ripple have a devx of its own, or use the default for 4.11?
Am gonna compile the 945 drivers if I can....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

dinky

#225 Post by dinky »

Use the default devx for 4.1.1. Good luck!
~dinky

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#226 Post by Lobster »

@ Lobster
And you never answered me... assuming you still have the eeepc701 you were using eeetiger on, have you tried Ripple yet? Feedback? Does it match up with eeetiger? What features would you like to see?
I answered this in another thread. I am waiting for a more stable Ripple - maybe even the Final. I tried a recent Ripple on my main box and felt it was not yet complete enough (rough edges on widgits from what I remember) to try on the Eeepc.
I do not have a spare USB keydrive at the moment for Ripple (one has a working Eeetiger on it - this would have to be replaced) :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dinky

#227 Post by dinky »

That makes since. Eeetiger is still a good release. That said, I replaced eeetiger with Ripple on my eeepc awhile ago, more features, faster, and more stable. That's the 06-2 release. Look forward to your feedback on the next stable version. Cheers matey,

~dinky

dinky

#228 Post by dinky »

Ok. I'm not as daffy as it seems. Still quite batty, but that's another story. The problem seems to be with the cfwizard script Tom posted. Untarring it left me a binary file that couldn't be exeuted. No chmod, no chown, nada, nothing, zip. Also odd is that it was a binary file in itself, as the last cfwizard script was a bash script. If you've no clue what I'm on aabout, just ignore me. It's safer that way. Anyways, before I spend the next 3 ours rebuilding Ripple, I'm going to make remasters of 06-2 until we get a working version. In the mean time, lets get a list going of all the changes people would like to see, not including the graphics cards. So far we've got about 3 suggestions in the wiki under 'Feature Requests'.

Here's (from memory) two things people have asked me to change fix, or rewrite:
- fix cups error (currently a package to support this)
- create some logical, sane place for the network connections wizard

Can you help me think of some more? Things I'd love to add into Ripple:
- bootsplash from pebble
- dockbar that doesn't have mac-like icons
- latest gimp package available for Ripple
- above fixes
- updated network wizard
- support for JWM when compiz-fusion won't work
- JWM based around Puppy 4.2, complete with widgets
- JWM using wbar when compiz-fusion ain't happy

Can you help me think of more? The above is very possible, though I'd love some volunteers to step up to help make this a reality. It's EASY folks, just let me know you'd like to help with SOMETHING, and I'll designate you a role.

Features an be posted here or on the wiki which is:
http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ ... reRequests

See you around folks!

~dinky

jtouso

Ripple y Compiz

#229 Post by jtouso »

Dinky:

I have just download and try in live-cd the E-Live-Compiz distro by Tanermesis, here the link
http://www.elivecd.org/Download/e17-compiz
It is an enlightenment versdion 17 with compiz.
It works ideally, fast and clean in my Asus eeepc-901 (using external cd/dvd on usb port)
I hope it helps the problem with Ripple-Atom intel procesor and Intel graphic chart in the new ones Asus Eeepc 901
Cheers
Jose

http://www.elivecd.org/Download/e17-compiz

dinky

#230 Post by dinky »

Thanks jose, looks interesting. I'd heard awhile ago that there was movement afoot to run compiz with enlightenment, but didn't go further than that... elive looks interesting, but it's no longer gpl. I respect what the guy is doing, but if you need to pay... in any form, to get the stable release, it's not GPL. The source code may still be open, but it's a different kettle of fish. Also rather large cd, almose 700mb.

That said, I'm interested in seeing what's been done with compiz, and am downloading that version now. I'm not sure it will help, but thanks for the thoughts. E-17 needs compiz tweaked specific to itself, and to be honest I'm not sure where to start... Tom is still working on the compiz-script for Puppy, so hopefully soon we'll have something more usable. Cheers matey, will let you know how we go.

~dinky

Max Headroom

Hey Dinky U There Man, Hope Y'r Family is Safe & Well :)

#231 Post by Max Headroom »

Hey Dinky U There Man, Hope Y'r Family is Safe & Well :)

dinky

#232 Post by dinky »

Hi matey, thanks for the thoughts. We're alive and well, safe from the bush fire zone. Full on here though, it's been playing on everyone's minds. I've got the latest script from tombh with the cfwizard, and will make a remaster shortly. Just haven't had the time. 'll get to it in the next day or two. Cheers folks.

~dinky

alejobar

#233 Post by alejobar »

Hi Dinky,

I just download your iso, and I try to run it in VMware to test it, but it doesn't start :( I'm stuck at:
ISOLINUX 3.63 2008-04-10..... Peter Anvin

Any idea whta I'm doing wrong?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#234 Post by Lobster »

make sure you have checked the md5sum of the download
Try running the ISO from CD with the 'puppy pfix=ram' setting (will not interfere with your hard drive if not saving at the end)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dinky

#235 Post by dinky »

@alejobar:
I'd consider burning it to disk, and booting your computer with it, making sure you type the

Code: Select all

pfix=ram
option in the initial boot-up screen. VMware can be a great option for some systems, but as of yet Ripple's untested in it, and I'm not sure how it will work. As Ripple relies on compositing, VMware may not be able to support this. Let us know how you go.

~dinky

alejobar

#236 Post by alejobar »

dinky wrote:@alejobar:
I'd consider burning it to disk, and booting your computer with it, making sure you type the

Code: Select all

pfix=ram
option in the initial boot-up screen. VMware can be a great option for some systems, but as of yet Ripple's untested in it, and I'm not sure how it will work. As Ripple relies on compositing, VMware may not be able to support this. Let us know how you go.

~dinky
Thanks for your help Dinky, but it looks that it was a corrupt download, I dowloaded again and it runs ok

dinky

#237 Post by dinky »

Ok folks, remastered release of ripple_06-2.iso, welcome ripple_06-5! Tested that is works (ever so briefly), and booted up fine on my eeepc. NO changes to ripple_06-2, EXCEPT the cfwizard script updated with drivers for ATI propriety and NVIDIA cards. Please test and get back to me. If we're good to go, I'll create our first, solid, stable, Ripple release... sounds groovy, doesn't it? Please let me know any bugs you have with the graphics cards.

Anyone heard of woof? Barry;s new project, and typically revolutionary. Basic concept is building puppy from other distros packages, currently support is planned for Arch Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, and Slackware. What this means to you is being able to install any package from any of the repositories, and having it work... exciting stuff. Puppy is heading in new directions, and I'd love for Ripple's next release to be made from this. Will see how fast the project expands, and what I'm able to build. Happy testing!
~dinky

Ripple_06-5 http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ ... /test_iso/

(will be up in another hour or so, check back if not there, md5sum included)

rhadon

#238 Post by rhadon »

Hi dinky,

just downloaded ripple_06-5. Will test it soon.

I followed Barry's blog about Woof since Christmas and the thread since several days. I try to build Puppy by Woof since 3 days. Four times I failed (3x it was my own stupid fault). Maybe now I will wait for the next revision. It's really amazing. :D

The following phrase gave me courage:
Never be afraid of doing tasks you are not familiar with. Noah's Ark was built by an amateur. Professionals have built the Titanic...

Greetings
Rolf

BTW, I like to use ripple as my main system. So it's only fair to spend a little bit time (maybe also blood sweat and tears :wink: ). If there is anything I can do, please tell me.
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

Max Headroom

Just DLing Now, Will Demo Latter, bit Disturbed 'bout th' S

#239 Post by Max Headroom »

Just DLing Now, Will Demo Latter, bit Disturbed 'bout th' Size, Will C what's in there that's Surplus... Ripple Needs 2 Go on a Diet! :)

jtouso

#240 Post by jtouso »

Dinky:
Thanks for a new version!
Downloaded slowly but ok. Checking md5 sum ok. Using unetbootin to make an usb pen bootable with Ripple. All ok but...
Asus EeePc 901....No compiz and also F9 it is not functionally. If I open a terminal window, I can ´t close because it lost the upper bar with functions.
:cry: