sunburnt

#2041 Post by sunburnt »

FYI; Example: The new tracking lists are like this for the debmenu file: xfe
xfe xfe
xfe xfpack
xfe xfview
xfe xfimage
xfe xfwrite

So all desktop files are tracked by the debmenu file that made them.
When the debmenu file is uninstalled, all those desktop files will get deleted.

# Perhaps rename folder-changes to debmenu-changes.? So it groups with the other files...
# Toni; If you decide to change the file`s name, let me know and I`ll do the same...

sunburnt

#2042 Post by sunburnt »

PicDrop is working now.

### Toni; It needs "mediainfo", install from Debian, I can`t post here as it`s 6+ MB in size.
# NOTE: Upx compressed the mediainfo exec to 2+ MB in size.! ( Still too big to post...)

# Drag file "/opt/apps/picdrop/picdrop" to Rox desktop.
# And set icon to "/opt/apps/picdrop/picdrop.png".

Drag pics or icons ( 1 or more ) to the PicDrop desktop icon and a "size & type" dialog pops up.
The popup dialog is not the greatest, but it`s the most useful I can think of.
There`s no help, but it`s fairly intuitive, you can select new size with button or type it in the TextBox.
All pics dropped are resized to the chosen size and chosen format type.

# Please test and make any suggestions you have.

### UPLOADED fix. Now has default pic format type.
Attachments
picdrop.zip
Paths are in sub dirs.
(53.94 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

Chili Dog

#2043 Post by Chili Dog »

Hai, is this like a Puppy, like does it use sfs files to hold the filesystem, does it use savefiles, does it use Puppy scripts?

Thanks bye

mcewanw

#2044 Post by mcewanw »

sunburnt wrote: William; Did you say that one of the wallpaper modes ( Stretch.? ) did not work.?
See if this works, in XTerm: rox_setbg (Mode) (/Path/Wallpaper)
If it does work then WallPapers has a problem, if not it`s a Rox problem it seems...
rox_setbg works fine from terminal. What I can't get to work, Terry, is the Wallpapers 'Apply' button after selecting 'Stretch' in the Wallpapers GUI. Perhaps I'm not doing it the expected way, but I can't seem to get out of the default Scale mode without hand editing ~/.wallpapers/wallpapers.lst and then starting Wallpapers running from your Wallpapers GUI program. By default I'm not wanting different backgrounds, because trying to run with as low memory usage as possible on this old machine - but I want Stretched wallpaper to fit the screen (Scale isn't fitting the screen) and hoped the Wallpapers GUI program would help me do that with use of 'Apply' button.
github mcewanw

sunburnt

#2045 Post by sunburnt »

William; Last I looked Stretch was working, but we know how things change.
Scale keeps the pics original aspect ratio ( W x H ), so black bars left & right, or top & bottom.
Stretch fills the screen, but distorts if the pic`s aspect ratio is very different from the screen`s.
I`ve edited wallpapers I liked, so their aspect ratio is the same as ( or close to ) the screens.
# I`ll look at what`s up and let you know...

Chili Dog; DebianDog is "Debian Live" ( Wheezy Stable ) modded to be very much like Puppy.
It uses Squash files and a Save file in a union file system, just like Puppy.
There are important differences. The main one is it has thousands of ready to run Debian apps.
The Debian package system is excellent. DebianDog has apt-get ( cli ) and Synaptic ( gui ).
A big Puppy problem has always been few apps, but it does have many of the popular ones.
We few developers of DebianDog don`t have to make apps, just making it how we want it to be.
Soon we will have a beta release, meaning it will be "usable". But it`s pretty usable now...

saintless

#2046 Post by saintless »

sunburnt wrote:PicDrop is working now.

### Toni; It needs "mediainfo", install from Debian, I can`t post here as it`s 6+ MB in size.
# NOTE: Upx compressed the mediainfo exec to 2+ MB in size.! ( Still too big to post...)
Thank you, Terry!
Nice quick image converter! Unfortunately not very small after adding mediainfo + dependencies.
After installing mediainfo I cant get tiff conversion working. Other image formats work.

If we add picdrop + mediainfo dependencies to DebianDog we add 1,4 Mb to the iso size. This is the best I can do to slimm it down.
Do we need mediainfo and its biggest library libmediainfo0_0.7.58 for something else than picdrop? Maybe pburn for example can use mediainfo or gmplayer?

We have option to include picdrop + mediainfo or to make picdrop debian package which will install mediainfo as dependency with synaptic and apt-get.

BTW Terry, Stretch, Scale, Tile options really do not work with Applay button in wallpapers.gui Just checked this.

Toni

saintless

#2047 Post by saintless »

Terry, Fred, William...
We have a problem making mk-jwm.menu default menu.
My hope was to simlink update-menus to mk-jwm.menu and make it auto update the menu after using apt-get or Synaptic.
It works fine for root but unfortunately does not work for user account.
User account has to use sudo for apt-get update and this auto-changes the environment from user to root. As result dpkg for user gives errors.
This means we can not autoupdate mk-jwm.menu using update-menu command activated from postremoved and preinstalled scripts in /var/lib/dpkg/info
We have to refresh menus manual with menu button or use another update mk-jwm.menu method different from /usr/bin/update-menus linking.

Any ideas are welcome.

Toni

saintless

#2048 Post by saintless »

Hi, All.
Auto-update mk-jwm.menu partly fixed.
Convert and copy/delete new desktop file in /usr/share/applications works with update-menus after installing or uninstalling new application.
What does not work is this part:

Code: Select all

/opt/bin/mk-jwm.menu
jwm -reload
It can not be part of update-menus command symlinked to the auto-update script which runs folder-changes.
It works for root but executed for user it is in root environment because apt-get needs sudo for user account.
We still need to run

/opt/bin/mk-jwm.menu
jwm -reload
to update the menu changes. To make it work for user we need to exclude this part for root also and to run this script after apt-get install is finished.

Ideas how to make this script autostart after apt-get install (dpkg -i) is finished are welcome.

/opt/bin/mk-jwm.menu
jwm -reload
Or how to make this script to run as user while sudo command is still active, but not as user puppy only but as any new added user.

Toni

saintless

#2049 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Nothing important but I found this while searching other things:
http://obmenugen.sourceforge.net/
Seems very small and is single executable portable file for generating menu for OpenBox. Maybe you will find something useful in it for Porteus Wheezy.

Toni

saintless

#2050 Post by saintless »

Hi, All.

Auto-update mk-jwm.menu a little bit more partly fixed :)
Auto-update mk-jwm.menu works without issues for root.
Auto-update mk-jwm.menu gives error message which does not stop the install process and auto convert and auto copy/delete new desktop file happens. It also prints message to run refresh-menus for user account to update the menus.

Please, type refresh-menus to update the menus.
No protocol specified
error: could not open display
No protocol specified
error: could not open display
If we can't find better way I will leave it like this the next version. Still looking for better fix.

Toni

fredx181

#2051 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
/opt/bin/mk-jwm.menu
jwm -reload

Or how to make this script to run as user while sudo command is still active, but not as user puppy only but as any new added user.
Maybe this to run the commands as current user :

#!/bin/bash
if [ -n $SUDO_USER ]; then        # If the user uses sudo there's env variable SUDO_USER as current user
su - $SUDO_USER -c '/opt/bin/mk-jwm.menu && jwm -reload'
else          # When 'su - root' is used we need AFAIK a workaround
user=`echo $XAUTHORITY | sed -e 's,.*/home/,,' -e 's,/.Xauthority.*,,'`     # Extract the user from the XAUTHORITY env variable
su - $user -c '/opt/bin/mk-jwm.menu && jwm -reload'
fi
Not sure if this could help.
Because you never can telll if a user uses sudo or su - root this will cover both I think.

Fred

mcewanw

#2052 Post by mcewanw »

Aside from reading all the posts, I haven't been keeping up with menu issues and only have the menu code released with the most recent squash file (and wouldn't know how to piece together/install any menu code changes since without a lot of re-reading and experimentation).

However, I am wondering if you could first save current $USER normal name temporarily to /tmp or similar and then, for the program that is running in root environment - include in that a sudo -u retrieved_USER_name command just prior to running the extra parts you need to run as the normal user? Since that sudo would be run whilst in root environment it wouldn't I think ask for any password.

[I guess su - retrieved_USER_name could be used instead somewhere since I imagine once script completes the environment would return to that of the original owner.]

Since it is a multiuser environment, there is the chance several users might be updating menu at same time, so would need to store USER_name in its own directory (named $USER) in the tmp store.

It's a bit of a fudge but I imagine something like the above might be able to be made to work(?)
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#2053 Post by mcewanw »

Ah... cross-posted with fred a similar idea!
Fred's looks better since doesn't need temp storage of $USER it seems.
github mcewanw

sunburnt

#2054 Post by sunburnt »

William & Toni; For me, WallPapers works for the first wallpaper.
I believe this is what William wanted to do, use just 1 pic for all desktops.?
For me it did: tile, stretch, center, and scale.

But nothing else added to the wallpapers.lst file made any difference.
# The file jwm.tail has the desktop buttons commented out. ( My bad...)
# That was the main problem... And I modified desktop.ctrl a bit.

# Behavior was to use current wallpaper if desktop selected had none.
Now it uses the last wallpaper in the list for all desktops after that.
### Is this how you guys want it.? OR just use the current wallpaper.?

Toni; I noticed the "Desktop1" are all the same in file: /etc/X11/icewm/toolbar
I think they should be: Desktop1, Desktop2, Desktop3, Desktop4

prog Desktop1 /usr/share/pixmaps/1.png desktop.ctrl 1
prog Desktop1 /usr/share/pixmaps/2.png desktop.ctrl 2
prog Desktop1 /usr/share/pixmaps/3.png desktop.ctrl 3
prog Desktop1 /usr/share/pixmaps/4.png desktop.ctrl 4
# New files: jwm.tail and desktop.ctrl
Attachments
desktop.ctrl_jwm.tail.zip
Paths:
$HOME/.jwm/jwm.tail
/opt/bin/desktop.ctrl
(2.66 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

sunburnt

#2055 Post by sunburnt »

Toni; mediainfo also shows data for audio & video files, useful if needed...
But Xfe, Rox, JWM, and IceWM already handle pics, so no other uses for it.

I can make a portable app package of PicDrop to upload to Smokey`s.
Or if you want to do it, you have all the files for it.
Your size for all mediainfo files is smaller than the static one I have ( 2 MB ).
Making a portable app may be better than a Deb pkg.? Good for Puppy too.

# Tiff pics, I don`t see the libtiff file. But I have never seen a tiff file.
You may want to add the lib. to DebDog for completeness...
Last edited by sunburnt on Sat 29 Mar 2014, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.

fredx181

#2056 Post by fredx181 »

mcewanw wrote:Ah... cross-posted with fred a similar idea!
Fred's looks better since doesn't need temp storage of $USER it seems.
Yes :)
But I'm not so sure about that because the workaround for su - root assumes that the $HOME directory is in '/home/' but that might not be always the case. (well.., mostly of course).

Fred

saintless

#2057 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred, William!

Fred, it seems it is exactly what we need. Just quick tested but it works for puppy user and root without errors. I will test it more in the next days creating another user.
fredx181 wrote:Maybe this to run the commands as current user :

#!/bin/bash
if [ -n $SUDO_USER ]; then        # If the user uses sudo there's env variable SUDO_USER as current user
su - $SUDO_USER -c '/opt/bin/mk-jwm.menu && jwm -reload'
else          # When 'su - root' is used we need AFAIK a workaround
user=`echo $XAUTHORITY | sed -e 's,.*/home/,,' -e 's,/.Xauthority.*,,'`     # Extract the user from the XAUTHORITY env variable
su - $user -c '/opt/bin/mk-jwm.menu && jwm -reload'
fi
Not sure if this could help.
Because you never can telll if a user uses sudo or su - root this will cover both I think.
Toni

saintless

#2058 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Terry!
I'm quite happy with the current wallpapers.gui No matter for me which will be the default wallpaper.
Toni; I noticed the "Desktop1" are all the same in file: /etc/X11/icewm/toolbar
I will change this. The active toolbar file is $HOME/.icewm/toolbar If it is missing then /etc/X11/icewm/toolbar will be used.
I can make a portable app package of PicDrop to upload to Smokey`s. Or if you want to do it, you have all the files for it. Your size for all mediainfo files is smaller than the static one I have ( 2 MB ). Making a portable app may be better than a Deb pkg.? Good for Puppy too.
I suggest you make portable app and I will make deb package. Better to have both versions on the site.
# Tiff pics, I don`t see the libtiff file. But I have never seen a tiff file. You may want to add the lib. to DebDog for completeness...
I will check out debian libtiff package.

Toni

fredx181

#2059 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
Fred, it seems it is exactly what we need. Just quick tested but it works for puppy user and root without errors. I will test it more in the next days creating another user.
OK, great!, but strange..are you sure it works for root also?

Fred

mcewanw

#2060 Post by mcewanw »

sunburnt wrote: # Behavior was to use current wallpaper if desktop selected had none.
Now it uses the last wallpaper in the list for all desktops after that.
Hi Terry, for me, using the current wallpaper was fine also. Please don't put too much effort into this, I am reasonably fine with the current Wallpapers GUI also. In fact I may simply not be understanding something. The only minor issue I was having was that on a clean system the background defaulted to 'Scale' which wasn't wide enough on my system so I wanted to use 'Stretch' instead. I was wondering the best way to change from Scale to Stretch and thought that was one of the functions in Wallpapers GUI (I tried selecting Stretch in dropdown box in Wallpapers GUI and then clicking the Apply button, but nothing happened). I suspect I simply don't understand the recommended procedure. Rather than changing the fine program could you just tell me the best way to change Scale into Stretch (or do I need to manually edit text file ~/.wallpapers/wallpapers.lst and then restart?)

Like I say, this is a minor matter and not worth expending energy on. Main thing is to get the menu issues finalised and polished for beta iso release I feel.
github mcewanw