Slacko Beta 1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Billtoo

#201 Post by Billtoo »

Iguleder wrote:
01micko wrote:I am a bit committed to jwm by default at the moment, mainly due to time constraint, but hey, wmaker is very cool and if it can be bent into a more conventional shape then I can see a future for your "new love" :lol:
I didn't say Window Maker should be the default, but it definitely needs a place in the Puppy universe - either as a PET, SFS or as a puplet (that's something I'm already working on).

I wrote a menu generator for it in Perl, which creates a menu that reloads automatically, so no need to restart the window manager and get your desktop messed up once you install a package.

I updated the build script to download and integrate the menu generator in the package, so you get an all-in-one Window Maker PET ready to rock :)

I also wrote other scripts, for stuff like emelFM2, so I could build some spup packages.

WindowMaker window manager is in the Slackware repository in ppm, I
got wmclock,wm-xdgmenu,and wmsystemtray from Iguleder's site.
It's working pretty well,I removed all the icons from the desktop and
of course they stay removed if you go back to jwm but I don't plan to
do that.

I'm using window maker in an earlier spup not the latest.

bigpup

#202 Post by bigpup »

01micko,

Not sure why you decided to have Top instead of Htop, but I like Htop's display. A lot easier to understand.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#203 Post by 01micko »

bigpup wrote:01micko,

Not sure why you decided to have Top instead of Htop, but I like Htop's display. A lot easier to understand.
Noted, just never bothered me because it's quicker to type "top"! :lol:
I'll probably put it in..
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

DaveS

#204 Post by DaveS »

Couple of comments re Firefox 7 beta. I have been using it in Slacko
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 345#556345
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jades

#205 Post by Jades »

BarryK wrote:
Jades wrote:I'm trying out Slacko on the Pentium D machine, and have found that while my Netgear WN111v2 USB wireless dongle works on a pfix=ram boot, it doesn't when booting from a pupsave. It works fine in XP and Luci/Lupu .
Have you tried plugging it in after bootup, as well as having it already plugged in at bootup? Sometimes it makes a difference.
Hi Barry. It didn't appear to make any difference on the previous version, but I'll give it a go when I'm on the machine tomorrow. The strange thing is that it would work in pfix=ram but immedietely stop working when it had booted from a pupsave - straight reboot without changing anything.

If I rebooted into Lupu from a Slacko session where it hadn't been working it would then work in Lupu as normal, again without changing anything in terms of the dongle being plugged in. It seems to be specific to Slacko.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#206 Post by Jades »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jades wrote:I'm trying out Slacko on the Pentium D machine, and have found that while my Netgear WN111v2 USB wireless dongle works on a pfix=ram boot, it doesn't when booting from a pupsave. It works fine in XP and Luci/Lupu.
By any chance, did you do a frugal install and forget to include the zdrv file?
Funnily enough, that was the first thing I double-checked, based on prior experiences with a version of Luci when playdayz was experimenting with zdrives. It's a LiveCD install on a 1.5TB NTFS drive which has XP and some other LiveCD Puppies on it. Both the main sfs and the zdrive are present on /mnt/home/ with the pupsave in /mnt/home/PuppyFiles/ - I've also tried moving the main sfs and zdrive into /mnt/home/PuppyFiles/ but it didn't make a difference.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

nooby

#207 Post by nooby »

This is the latest one or is there an even more fresh iso?

I did link to the first post but maybe there is a later one somewhere?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

MinHundHettePerro

#208 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

BarryK, 01micko, and other woofers of slackpups

I made a script for converting the slackware repo-files to PPM (mostly as an exercise in shell string manipulation) and the time for converting slacko's three PKG_DOCS_DISTRO_COMPAT-files, slackware's, salix' and slacky's PACKAGES.TXT goes down to roughly 15%, i.e. from 9+ min to 1+ min on my 2.8GHz celeron :shock: :) - makes a wee bit of a time difference on my machine :).

I made the conversion script modular, separate from 0setup, like the conversion scripts for Scientific and mageia, and put it in support.

I'll attach the modified 0setup (woof of 110823), a diff for 0setup, (support/)slackpack2ppm, the ".gz"-suffixes are altogether a scam to fool the forum attachment policy.

I included PACKAGES CONFLICTS in the dep field, skipped versioned deps for now (since slacky has all deps versioned), added fields 11, 12 and 13 to the ppm'd output (field 13 empty).

There are a few differences between the Packages-slackware-*'s built with my script and with the woof-0setup built-in conversion; most are in field 10 (description), which in turn affects field 5 (category), mostly for the better, field 9 (dependencies) have the very few (<10 per repo) PACKAGE CONFLICTS added (prefixed with a "-"), there are also quite a few instances where "$DB_pkgname" ends up being equal to "$DB_fullfilename" (.txz and all) in the original 0setup-conversion, which is fixed in this script.

EDIT: Just to clarify "mostly for the better" in the previous paragraph, it means that due to this script's "look further for a description"-routine reads the next non-empty entry-line, while the original 0-setup conversion reads the third non-empty entry-line. This means that DB_description may vary, sometimes resulting in differing Category-entries; this script finds better suiting Categories in some cases, while sometimes reverting to the generic BuildingBlock, as compared to the original 0setup conversion routine. (Output is more, or less identical to what original 0setup has if line 381 "dbPATTERN='^'"$DB_nameonly"': '" is replaced with "dbPATTERN='^'"$DB_nameonly"':'" (last space removed) .)/EDIT

Anyway, try it, test it, and if you like it - use it (and if you don't - ditch it :roll:) :)/ MHHP
Attachments
0setup_MHHP_woof_110823.gz
(22.18 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
0setup_MHHP_woof_110823.diff.gz
(4.53 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
slackpack2ppm.gz
(3.72 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
Last edited by MinHundHettePerro on Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:23, edited 2 times in total.
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

zigbert

#209 Post by zigbert »

I have described one of the strange things happening with gtk 2.24 in Slacko here. I will come back with more gtk-issues when I am able to control the reproduction of the bugs.

Sigmund

enhu

#210 Post by enhu »

ive replaced my frugal installed slacko 311 to 499.

it tried to boot and probed but when it goes to the monitor settings, it suddenly prompt,
Cannot display this video mode. Change computer input to 1280x1024@60hz.
my monitor by the way is Philips 150S

rodin.s

getflash

#211 Post by rodin.s »

When I run getflash being offline the line 'Please Wait' comes up and it doesn't disappiar.

Stripe

#212 Post by Stripe »

hi all

just played 2 hours streamed flash video without any problems apart from the screen blacking out when when mouse and keyboard are inactive
(and Newcastle won :lol: )

any easy solutions to stop the screen from keep going black? (screen-saver??)

hope this helps
stripe

01micko

#213 Post by 01micko »

rodin.s.. yep that's a bug! The loop; should break and kill the pid of the splash if no net connection id found. Will fix

Stripe.. search for "no bkank screen" .. a pet by forum member trio.. if you find it and it works ok I might include it.. at least in PPM, oh, by working ok, I mean when it's deactivated blanking (power saving feature) should return!

Cheers

Jades

#214 Post by Jades »

I tried Barry's suggestion of leaving the Netgear WN111v2 USB dongle unplugged until the system had finished booting. I compared the modules list in HardInfo before and after plugging the dongle in and, as before, it still didn't work.

After plugging it in the carl9170 module loaded, at which point I remembered something about being able to blacklist modules. I blacklisted carl9170 and rebooted and this time ar9170usb, aes_generic, arc4 and ecb did load and the wireless networking is functioning across boots.

Unfortunately, the performance of the network is appalling in both the pfix=ram and pupsave boot sessions - it kicks out a lot of audible interference and is exceptionally slow. It works fine in Lupu 528, however.

So, progress of a sort but it's still not perfect.

nooby

#215 Post by nooby »

Stripe wrote:hi all
... apart from the screen blacking out when when mouse and keyboard are inactive

any easy solutions to stop the screen from keep going black? (screen-saver??)
stripe
It is even easier than what 01micko says on most puppies. look for this

Menu > Desktop > DesktopSettings > pupX set properties and there you have a box to untick and then you should chose to save it with Ok instead of Apply.
If you choose Apply it only last that session while if you chose Ok then it stay that way until you tick that box again. I am in Lupu now so can not say if Slacko Beta 1 has the pupX thing or not That could be the reason that Micko wanted you to search for that pet thing
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rodin.s

xkblayout

#216 Post by rodin.s »

When I try to add Russian xkb layout it says 'Your xorg.conf file does not contain any XkbLayout options'. Not a big problem for me though because I've made a script which automatically adds Russian layout on startup with link to it in root/Startup. Maybe it could be modified to make it universal.
Attachments
xkbru.gz
automatic ru,en layout setup
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

Stripe

#217 Post by Stripe »

@ nooby

Thanks for that nooby it works fine, but with me using a multi session DVD I just used the apply button as I dont want to save the change (just disable it when needed)

thanks again
stripe

666philb

#218 Post by 666philb »

hi micko1, finally got chance to try slacko beta last night and i'm very impressed. sound is now working and is consistent on my multi sound card computer (i had real problems with the early slackos)

One bug that's happening to me is the bootmanager isn't working. i get a message about one of my .sfs being of the wrong version so won't be displayed, but the bootmanager then never appears.
Stripe.. search for "no bkank screen" .. a pet by forum member trio.. if you find it and it works ok I might include it.. at least in PPM, oh, by working ok, I mean when it's deactivated blanking (power saving feature) should return!
i've tested the no-blank screen pet and the power saving feature does return when you deactivate it. I can't recommend this pet enough! as it's really annoying to have the screen blank every ten minutes whilst watching a film. This really should be part of every puppy!

No Blank Screen 1.0
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=535727

regards
666philb
Last edited by 666philb on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#219 Post by Lobster »

Day to day usage of Slacko Beta1 . . .

Did a pawed cast - so mic working OK
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 739#556739

I usually like to save in ogg format and I usually do this by loading into
mhwavedit and saving
- no ogg (oga is not the same . . .)
gftp working OK for uploading files to server . . .

Something weird, this has happened 3 or 4 times
in BBC Iplayer, which I believe uses flash - so keep an eye on this with Youtube or other streaming media outlets . . .
About 40 minutes into a stream, two out of synch sound channels take over
. . . wot?
I usually restart x (ctrl + alt + backspace) which clears all open windows
and that allows me to 'resume' the broadcast

Agree with 666philb about no blank screen capacity - essential
for watching media

As a side project which will hopefully enable all Puppys to be soft phone compatible, we have been setting up PSIP VOIP to work
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70867
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#220 Post by 01micko »

Jades,, I'm going to remove the z_drv next version, see if it makes a difference. It may not to the performance of your kit though, that would be a kernel issue. These new kernels have lots of issue! :evil: :P

Great lobster! You got sound going, and mic!!! [hehe.. I didn't include flash on the iso so not my problem :twisted: ... but we'll see what we can do.. maybe try an older version? Anyone recommend a stable flash for Lobster? (..in a pigs ear!)]

666philb, thanks for confirming trio's pet is still ok.. um, I forgot about the Pupx proggy! :oops: . So Stripe, your sorted, with options in that regard, and thanks nooby for being a diligent noob!

That bootmanager thing may be a conflict with sfs_load. I'l look at it.

Thanks all.