Getting Belkin Fd7051 wireless USB stick to work

Cliffy

#21 Post by Cliffy »

Sorry I am not understanding.

I click the console button. Then I typed in the unzip unzip f5d7051v3.exe

it comes up
unzip: can not find or open f5d7051v3.exe, f5d7051v3.exe.zip or f5d7051v3.exe.ZIP.

I know in windows an exe is different then a zip file, I did try to unzip it to see and it is not a zip file.

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

Semme

#22 Post by Semme »

See the "file" icon on your desktop? Click it.. You're now in /root. Click "my-documents" and repeat my instructions.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Cliffy

#23 Post by Cliffy »

after I get to my documents if i right click ( Rt-clk ) it brings up a menu and I can not type.

I do see the f5d7051v3.exe file

Semme

#24 Post by Semme »

Can you follow this? You rt-clk an empty space inside the directory where the exe is..
Attachments
belkin3.jpg
(61.16 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Cliffy

#25 Post by Cliffy »

Thank you!!!!!! Got to go now, will try to get it done later

Semme

#26 Post by Semme »

Fine. If you can't grasp it, click the terminal on your desktop and enter these one @ a time:

Code: Select all

cd /root/my-documents
unzip f5d7051v3.exe
You'll know you did it right when you see this:

Archive:  f5d7051v3.exe
   creating: Driver/Vista/
  inflating: Driver/Vista/bcmusbdhd.inf  
  inflating: Driver/Vista/bcmusbdhdlh.cat  
  inflating: Driver/Vista/bcmusbdhdlh.sys  
  inflating: Driver/Vista/bcmusbdhdlh64.cat  
  inflating: Driver/Vista/bcmusbdhdlh64.sys  
   creating: Driver/XP_2K/
  inflating: Driver/XP_2K/bcm43xx.cat  
  inflating: Driver/XP_2K/ndiswdm.inf  
  inflating: Driver/XP_2K/ndiswdm.sys  
  inflating: Setup.exe

Cliffy

#27 Post by Cliffy »

Thanks for all the help.
Still not working. Get the .inf file but does not work.
I did a video to show you, hopefully this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGn2FIs ... P7GfqtfxoQ

rcrsn51

#28 Post by rcrsn51 »

There are some problems with ndiswrapper in Tahrpup. Assuming that you have the PAE version, open a terminal and run the command

depmod -a
Then try your Belkin setup again.

If you have the no-PAE version, read here.

tempestuous

#29 Post by tempestuous »

As I've said many times in the past; ndiswrapper's success rate is low. And generally, any driver solution which relies on "re-purposing" a driver from a different operating system is technically ugly, anyway.

The ideal solution is to use a Linux-friendly wifi dongle.
In the past I would have recommended Ralink-based devices, but for the last year or two the in-kernel Ralink wifi driver is less than stable.
So these days I recommend Realtek-based wifi devices.

ardvark

#30 Post by ardvark »

tempestuous wrote:The ideal solution is to use a Linux-friendly wifi dongle. In the past I would have recommended Ralink-based devices, but for the last year or two the in-kernel Ralink wifi driver is less than stable. So these days I recommend Realtek-based wifi devices.
Hi all...

This adapter has worked fine for me (out of the box) using Precise 5.6.1. I think pretty much everything (but not all) from Atheros is Linux friendly as well. :)

@Cliff: Thanks for the video, not too many folks choose to describe their issues using that method. :)

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

Cliffy

#31 Post by Cliffy »

Thanks for all the help. I figured the video method would let you see what I am doing and maybe where I am messing up.

I typed in the depmod -a and used ndiswrapper and got nothing, and I do mean nothing. No warning box or anything at all. Here is a video to show you. I noticed after I posted it that I should have held the camera higher but at the end I do. I think you can still tel what I am doing.
I may buy a Linux friendly stick but I sure would like to try it before spending any money as if it does not work well or I do not like it why waste the money! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GD9iw8 ... P7GfqtfxoQ

Also how do I tell if I have the pae or non-pae version? will it hurt if I try the method for non-pae?

Semme

#32 Post by Semme »

This cmd >> cat /etc/DISTRO_SPECS or this one >> grep flags /proc/cpuinfo may tell us.

Then again, maybe the kernel tells us:

uname -r
Available kernels >> Meaning another *might* work.

Cliffy

#33 Post by Cliffy »

I typed in what you wrote. 1st one gave me nothing, the 2nd one gave me a bunch. It doe shave the letters pae in there.
The uname -r says it is 3.14.20

I think I have a way to borrow a long ethernet cable and try it wired temporarily and see if I like it. Then I would buy an USB stick that just works! If I have to. Still interested in getting this to work if I can.

[/url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMPhbW2 ... qtfxoQ[url][/url]

rcrsn51

#34 Post by rcrsn51 »

1. Check the name of the original ISO file from which you installed Tahr. It will identify PAE/non-PAE.

2. From the command line, run

modprobe ndiswrapper
Do you get any error messages?

Cliffy

#35 Post by Cliffy »

modprobe ndiswrapper brings up nothing just the # symbol.

Semme

#36 Post by Semme »

Because pups in general are :D all bastards, there's not much coherency between'm.

If DISTRO_SPECS is onboard, *system* search it with Pfind, or pups search utility.

As for a compatible stick, don't be stubborn. Sometimes you need the right tool for the job.

Cliffy

#37 Post by Cliffy »

tahr-6.0-CE_PAE is what it says it is

Cliffy

#38 Post by Cliffy »

Semme - not stubborn just cheap! LOL I really do not want to spend any money until I see if I will continue to use it. I realize I have spent a fortune on computer stuff that really did not do what I wanted/needed it to and am trying not to continue in that.
ex. I got a mhl adaptor for my phone. only trouble with mhl is even plugged in your phone dies while you use it so after a couple of hours of watching tv from my phone it is dead. Also got a keyboard I never use for it and now will not use the mouse either as I won't be using the phone for watching internet tv.

Just don't want to waste the money on this either.
Last edited by Cliffy on Sun 28 Dec 2014, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#39 Post by Semme »

Fair enough. So nothing happened after this?

Cliffy

#40 Post by Cliffy »

after typing depmod -a i get nothing.
Here is the video showing my try at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GD9iw8 ... P7GfqtfxoQ