Survey - How do you install puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems

What type of installation do you most often use?

Poll ended at Wed 23 Jul 2014, 00:10

Frugal install to hard disk
44%
Frugal install to USB (usb key, SD card or external usb/firewire HDD)
19%
Full install to internal hard disk
19%
Full install to external hard disk (USB or firewire)
No votes
Save back to CD/DVD
8%
BootFlash - usb key installer (similar to option 3)
4%
Install to CF disk (any type)
3%
SuperFloppy (sounds cool, but is it?)
No votes
Other (if I didn't mention something - read topic info)
3%

Total votes: 73

Burn_IT

#21 Post by Burn_IT »

Frugal from:
Hard drive on my machine
USB flash drive or USB hard drive on others.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

bark_bark_bark

#22 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Technically Puppy is ran as an appliance, so techincally it is already installed. The PUI just copies the appliance to the desired storage media.

Burn_IT

#23 Post by Burn_IT »

That's how I do it. I just copy the files and point GRUB or whatever to it.

I don't think I've ever actually INSTALLED it.

proebler

#24 Post by proebler »

Generally frugal on USB(s).
I just copy the files and point Grub4Dos or Grub to them.

Marv

#25 Post by Marv »

Manual frugal installs using Grub4Dos on either CF cards in IDE or SATA adaptors or occasionally to internal SATA SSD. Usually have one or two syslinux installs to USB for rescue ops kicking around also. CDs live in a musty box (cardboard) in the cellar.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

01micko

#26 Post by 01micko »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Technically Puppy is ran as an appliance, so techincally it is already installed. The PUI just copies the appliance to the desired storage media.
Yes and no. In a "full install", yes it is "installed". The main packages are unpacked to disk.

Also, if a save file is created, a remaster created or even a save to DVD then it is no longer an "appliance". You can do much more than change a few settings.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

wboz

#27 Post by wboz »

I run Puppy from live media (USB stick) with a save file ... which is pretty much the default in most of the instructions :)

To me one of major advantages to Puppy is that it can load entirely to RAM, bypassing an existing hard disk. This is unlike most live media distributions which "run off of" the USB stick, which is not OK if you're going to use it repeatedly.

This is especially important if you want to run a fast OS on "older" hardware which would drag uncontrollably on the legacy OS on the HDD -- but for whatever reason you can't or don't want to wipe that and start again (files on it, angry relatives, just don't have the time etc). With Puppy you can plug and go! But unlike most "USB distributions" it acts like a full OS.

nitehawk

#28 Post by nitehawk »

I do full installs to hard drive mostly. Sometimes I do frugal. And sometimes I use a floppy to boot from (on one of my very old computers with a "touchy" w2k install, that doesn't like the mbr messed with. This particular old HP Vectra PIII won't boot off of USBs, either. So the floppy works pretty well on it.

Burn_IT

#29 Post by Burn_IT »

This particular old HP Vectra PIII won't boot off of USBs
Try PLoP boot loader on that. It sometimes it will detect the USB and let you boot from it.

nitehawk

#30 Post by nitehawk »

Burn_IT wrote:Try PLoP boot loader on that. It sometimes it will detect the USB and let you boot from it.
Yeah,..I saw that mentioned in this thread, and I intend to try it. Right now the floppy is just working too well ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it") :lol:

witekjeden

#31 Post by witekjeden »

1.For work full install to internal hard disk only.
2.For testing pupsave on internal hd or on pendrive.

tlchost

#32 Post by tlchost »

I install all my puppies to a bootable usb drive....hand edit the syslinux.cfg file for menu selection.

In addtion, I create a combined .sfs file of approximately 13 sfs files that can be used by all of the puppies. Should I need distro-specific sfs files, they are placed in the /mnt/home/distro_name folder.

End result, I can carry Puppy with me and use it at home, school, work or client sites without installing to hard drive.

Karl Godt

#33 Post by Karl Godt »

witekjeden wrote:1.For work full install to internal hard disk only.
2.For testing pupsave on internal hd or on pendrive.
Me too .
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

slavvo67

#34 Post by slavvo67 »

To answer:

1. I still run live cd's.
2. I use the ISO to USB features to run directly off of USB.
3. I run straight USB from install (Tahr).

I still run 32 bit, mostly.

One of my PC's still has room for a 5 1/4 disk, the other has 3 1/2 LOL

I am creating a new post with issue pertaining to remastering USB. This is not the place but I wanted to mention as it's somewhat related.

Best,

Slavvo67

01micko

#35 Post by 01micko »

So far, the result is pretty much not surprising.

SuperFloppy is still at 0. So is full install to external HHD. This was one of Barry's favourites for compiling the kernel. I remember he was devastated when his house got burgled (who wouldn't be?) but one of his biggest losses (to him) were his USB HDD's. It's documented on one of his old blogs somewhere.

I'd love to hear if anyone has ever tried 'superfloppy'. I believe it's for USB sticks for quite old BIOS and must be booted externally from a floppy or some other method. I don't own a working floppy disk! I have a few drives and chances are one of them works but IDK where I can even buy floppy disk media, else I would try it. I don't really want to waste time/money searching for floppies on ebay/craiglist or whatever. So if anyone has a working drive and media a test would be nice, just to see if it works. You need a sacrificial (data wise) USB stick too. Should be able to boot with wakepup2 or Plop. Should be doable from any Puppy with PUI.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Burn_IT

#36 Post by Burn_IT »

Superfloppy is for Zip and Iomega drives that were popular some years ago before USB became popular.
I had both. Some flash drives emulate superfloppies as the capacities in the early days of USB sticks were similar.

SFR

#37 Post by SFR »

01micko wrote:I'd love to hear if anyone has ever tried 'superfloppy'.
By "superfloppy" you're reffering to "Internal ZIP of LS120 drive" option in PUI?
PUI wrote:Booting Puppy off a LS120 or Zip drive is such an incredibly slow experience,
you are being saved the pain of finding this out for yourself. For example,
booting from a Zip disk is typically 20 minutes!
This option has been removed from the Universal Installer. If you want to boot
from a plug-in media, it is far far better to boot from CD/DVD, USB Flash or
hard drive, or other solid-state memory card media.

Click button to quit...
The code seems to still be there, though...
Anyway, speaking of creating boot floppy, it's available via 'Setup -> WakePup create boot floppy'.
(EDIT: maybe WakePup should be integrated with PUI, in place of ZIP/LS120, since you're about to remove the latter anyway?)
01micko wrote:So if anyone has a working drive and media a test would be nice, just to see if it works.
Why not cheat a little? ;)
wakepup2.pet contains ready-made wakepup2.img floppy image, so:

Code: Select all

qemu -boot a -fda wakepup2.img /dev/sdc
[sdc = USB flash drive with only initrd.gz, vmlinuz, USBFLASH marker and *.sfs files on it]

Tried almost all of options, but succeded only with (3) Grub4DOS, so I'd say it works, after all. :)

Greetings!
Attachments
wakepup.gif
(36.94 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

mostly_lurking

#38 Post by mostly_lurking »

I use a multisession CD. I don't save often, and I like having a system that doesn't need much maintenance (yes, I'm lazy). And if I mess something up, I can simply reboot to fix it.

I've been using Puppy for about 3 years now, first on a computer with a borked hard drive. When I switched computers, I just pulled my Wary 5.1.2 CD out of the old machine and shoved it into the new one. Did I say already that I'm lazy?

The people on this forum (the most dedicated users, probably) seem to have a strong tendency to install Puppy to hard disk - would be interesting to know if that poll is representative for the entire userbase.

ahoppin

#39 Post by ahoppin »

I voted for "full," because that's my largest installed Puppy base. I have 4 machines with full installations in regular use, 3 Lucid 525 and 1 Precise 571.

Full installation is the configuration I find most intuitive. With a reasonably fast HD, even IDE, it works great.

I use a frugal installation for my flash-disk based netbook, to save the flash memory. However, I get impatient, and a little nervous sometimes, waiting for it to write the savefile at shutdown.

Aside from these permanent setups, I have lots of different puppies and puplets on live CDs. I use one when I need to run an fsck on something, or back up some files.

I also have a couple of usb sticks with puppies on them. I don't use them much, though, because I have a lot of older machines that won't boot from a usb stick. Some of these machines can boot from usb with a CD, but in that case, I might as well just use the live CD anyway.

Hope this helps in your survey.

gyro

#40 Post by gyro »

I do a manual frugal install to a linux partition on the internal HDD, for my multiple puppies.
But I boot them using grub4dos installed on a small USB device. (remove the USB device, and it looks like a pristine Windows box, with several GB of HDD missing)
I have a puppy on a CD and another on a bootable USB device, just for setting things up, and for fixing things.
gyro