How to use Golan 3945ABG wireless in Puppy 5.7? - SOLVED

tempestuous

#21 Post by tempestuous »

scottsemel wrote:

Code: Select all

[   13.600128] iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: iwlwifi-3945-2.ucode firmware file req failed: -2
[   13.610525] iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: iwlwifi-3945-1.ucode firmware file req failed: -2
[   13.610532] iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: Could not read microcode: -2
So it seems the driver cannot "read" the firmware, even though the firmware file is present.
scottsemel wrote:In reply to your message, ROX shows that my iwl3945 file contains 65k.
I should have spotted this earlier - that's definitely wrong. The correct filesize is 147k.
As per my earlier post, you should find the firmware file in its original location:
/lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi/lib/firmware
check that the filesize is 147k, then copy it over to
/lib/firmware
which will overwrite the undersized (corrupt) version already there.
Then reboot.

If, for whatever reason, this won't work, I can attach a dotpet which will install the firmware correctly.

scottsemel

#22 Post by scottsemel »

I should have spotted this earlier - that's definitely wrong. The correct filesize is 147k.
As per my earlier post, you should find the firmware file in its original location:
/lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi/lib/firmware
check that the filesize is 147k, then copy it over to
/lib/firmware
which will overwrite the undersized (corrupt) version already there.
Then reboot.
Yes, that worked. Up to a point. Now, the laptop does detect my local wireless network and allows me to save a profile. However, the browser says "Server not found" when I launch it. I've cleared the cache and restarted Firefox, but still no success.

Please advise. (And thank you for all your work on helping me get this far.)

mikeb

#23 Post by mikeb »

the file /etc/resolv.conf has probably been messed up by now....delete it and remake the connection and see how that goes.

mike

scottsemel

#24 Post by scottsemel »

mikeb:
the file /etc/resolv.conf has probably been messed up by now....delete it and remake the connection and see how that goes
Nothing improved. Still getting the message "Server not found"

But in rechecking the /etc directory, the resolv.conf file was not rebuilt; it doesn't exist. Do I need to rewrite that file? If so, please explain how.

Thanks.

mikeb

#25 Post by mikeb »

it usually gets created when dhcp is run ...assuming that is being run after you set up the wifi....perhaps thats the problem...

mike

scottsemel

#26 Post by scottsemel »

it usually gets created when dhcp is run ...assuming that is being run after you set up the wifi....perhaps thats the problem...
Looks like that did it. I can now access the internet wirelessly from my laptop.

Thank you to mikeb and tempestuous for all your instruction and advice. You both deserve all the credit for all your hard work on my behalf. Very much appreciated!

cthisbear

#27 Post by cthisbear »

scottsemel:

Please add solved to your post...so others can find a fix
for the same problem.

How to use Golan 3945ABG wireless in Puppy 5.7? Solved

Welcome to Puppy.

Chris.

scottsemel

#28 Post by scottsemel »

cthisbear: Thanks. Will do.

bigpup

#29 Post by bigpup »

tempestuous,

Just wondering if you think this is a random thing or something that should be reported as a bug in Slacko 5.7?

Also, with Slacko 5.7 being a good test of how well Woof-CE works, I and I am sure others hope you are helping to improve Puppy with input into the Woof-CE project.

Thanks for your ongoing help with all things wireless!! :D
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

tempestuous

#30 Post by tempestuous »

Yes, I think it's a bug.
There were some reports of firmware being copied over as 0 bytes. In this case the firmware was copied as 65k when it should have been 147k.
65k is (coincidentally) the size that the firmware file would be when compressed in gzip format.
I'm guessing it has something to do with the layered filesystem, but this is not my area, so I don't want to speculate further.

mikeb

#31 Post by mikeb »

Its stupid...just have the firmware in /lib/firmware.... it takes the same space and avoids ANY bugs.

there's my woof contribution. :D

mike

tempestuous

#32 Post by tempestuous »

mikeb wrote:just have the firmware in /lib/firmware.... it takes the same space and avoids ANY bugs.
Yep, I posted about this issue last December -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 072#741072
tempestuous wrote:... there's still a (kludgey) process whereby any relevant firmware is relocated to the correct directory as the associated driver loads for the first time.