Which puppy for my eeePC?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Volhout

#21 Post by Volhout »

r3bol wrote:I'm having some problems with the 4.4rc install. I would like to try 4.3 with UnetBootin, but I can't find the download link. I found something called current-stable-celeron.asc but I've no idea what that is.
You cant's use Unetbootin for puppeee.

On a PC
Put all the files on the SD card or USB stick.
Change to the card/stick
run the batch file (this makes the stick bootable)
Take the card/stcik from the PC, and put it in your eeePC.

Done.

Many puppy linux versions will work on the eeePC, but there are few that are optimized. The puppeee (4.3 and 4.4) version is very optimized. All function keys work, power modes work, many apps are set up for eeePC screen resolutions. But puppeee development has stalled, so it is what it is, and it is not evolving anymore.

Gimbur

Keyboard languages

#22 Post by Gimbur »

Hi,

I've got the same model as OP and have installed Puppeee 4.4 RC2 with no problems. Except one. When I set my keyboard to Icelandic (is) I get a keyboard configuration that is not Icelandic at all, but something completely different (I'm using the Xorg configuration, since it's the only one with Icelandic listed). Since I'm a native Icelandic speaker and use my EeePC almost exclusively for word processing this is a major problem and I'm considering changing back to Puppeee 4.3 for this. I'd hate to have to do that, though, since of everything I've tried, this is the OS that seems to work the best. Is there a quick fix to my keyboard problem? I had and Icelandic keyboard set up on the original Xandros, and have tried Easy Peasy, Ubuntu netbook and Puppeee 4.3 respectively without any keyboard problems (just a load of software-related problems).

Any advice is welcome.

aarf

Re: Keyboard languages

#23 Post by aarf »

Gimbur wrote:Hi,

I've got the same model as OP and have installed Puppeee 4.4 RC2 with no problems. Except one. When I set my keyboard to Icelandic (is) I get a keyboard configuration that is not Icelandic at all, but something completely different (I'm using the Xorg configuration, since it's the only one with Icelandic listed). Since I'm a native Icelandic speaker and use my EeePC almost exclusively for word processing this is a major problem and I'm considering changing back to Puppeee 4.3 for this. I'd hate to have to do that, though, since of everything I've tried, this is the OS that seems to work the best. Is there a quick fix to my keyboard problem? I had and Icelandic keyboard set up on the original Xandros, and have tried Easy Peasy, Ubuntu netbook and Puppeee 4.3 respectively without any keyboard problems (just a load of software-related problems).

Any advice is welcome.
Dougalmay be able to help you

banger0250

#24 Post by banger0250 »

I have run many distro's on my Eeepc 701 and found browser to be the only one to work perfectly on the 7" screen, and with the small slow memory it has. I only use mine for browsing. I have used it as a media player on my 32"lcd with lighthouse and 4.3.
Taking pup for a walk

savvdm

small screen problem - dialogs do not fit

#25 Post by savvdm »

I've tried Lucid Puppy 5.20 on my EeePC 701 4G (puppeee links do not work, so I could not try it). I was impressed on how good it works, because I did not previously manage to run Ubuntu on this machine.

The only serious problem I faced with lupu520 is that some dialogs are too tall for 800x480 screen, and thus are unusable (just can't see controls at the bottom). Can anyone suggest a workaround for this? Windows XP uses a "virtual" 800x600 screen, which is panned inside 800x480 window with mouse movement. How to make this in Puppy?

Another solution could be to move the dialog beyond the screen's top boundary to reveal hidden controls at the dialog's bottom. Can I do something like this with help of some window manager? This may be easier than dealing with video modes and "virtual" screens.

Also, what happed to puppeee.com?

Moose On The Loose

Re: small screen problem - dialogs do not fit

#26 Post by Moose On The Loose »

savvdm wrote:I've tried Lucid Puppy 5.20 on my EeePC 701 4G (puppeee links do not work, so I could not try it). I was impressed on how good it works, because I did not previously manage to run Ubuntu on this machine.

The only serious problem I faced with lupu520 is that some dialogs are too tall for 800x480 screen, and thus are unusable (just can't see controls at the bottom). Can anyone suggest a workaround for this? Windows XP uses a "virtual" 800x600 screen, which is panned inside 800x480 window with mouse movement. How to make this in Puppy?

Another solution could be to move the dialog beyond the screen's top boundary to reveal hidden controls at the dialog's bottom. Can I do something like this with help of some window manager? This may be easier than dealing with video modes and "virtual" screens.

Also, what happed to puppeee.com?
Doesn't the ALT-LeftClick drag work to bring the rest of the dialog onto the screen?

savvdm

#27 Post by savvdm »

Yes, it does. Thanks a lot for suggestion!