How to revert to original mbr using grub4dos?

Booting, installing, newbie
rjbrewer

#21 Post by rjbrewer »

Bruce B wrote:
Strampke wrote:Problem is fixed.
I appreciate the support from members of this forum.
Screw it up again so we can give more help. I was looking forward to over twenty pages worth of help.

~
The nice thing about Grub4dos is;

You can overwrite it by running Grub Legacy and have a proper,
reliable, Grub mbr without an excessively verbose boot screen.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#22 Post by Béèm »

What I conclude here is:

Screwup22 never came back on the last advice given.
Maybe because Stramke hijacked the thread and it wasn't obvious if he had a problem or wanted to help.

If he had a problem, which I think was the case, he should have opened a new thread. This is common practice here in the forum.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

screwup22

#23 Post by screwup22 »

hi all,

thank you for all the replies - I did what rcrsn51 suggested before his second lengthy reply of "yes" ;-) and it seemed to do the job for me. At worst I'd have just had to format my hard drive and re-install windows, but what rcrsn51 suggested worked, and I hope it won't cause me problems down the line.

Strampke didn't hijack the thread - the opposite in fact - I believe he/she might have hit the nail on the head by understanding precisely what it was that I was originally asking for.

Also, yes - so many times I've regretted not writing things down - I'm too dependent on google! either that or on some level I just want to make things more difficult for myself by gambling things will work out! so thanks Béèm, you're right, and I'm closer to learning that lesson I hope!!

Anyway, I had meant to come back sooner to this thread, but after the stress of trying to sort out something I'm sure you guys find easy, I needed to metaphorically lie in the recovery position for a while hehehehe... apologies for not returning sooner

thanks again all who contributed to this thread - I'll read it more thoroughly now.

And having done so now, I'd just like to say thanks again to everyone who posted. A lot of it goes over my head though, so I'll stick to being a driver for a while, as opposed to being a mechanic.

big_bass

#24 Post by big_bass »

screwup22
thank you for all the replies - I did what rcrsn51 suggested before his second lengthy reply of "yes" Wink and it seemed to do the job for me.

its good to see that the problem was solved
I do want to post a package of my-sys
since some versions may not have this package pre installed

http://www.puppy2.org/slaxer/ms-sys-2.2.1-i486_SLXR.tgz

Joe