How To Make SeaMonkey as Good as Firefox...if Not Better

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
jrb

#21 Post by jrb »

So today I was setting up a laptop with Puppy431. I did a quick frugal install from disk and then wanted to get online and access some info.

I'm a loyal Opera user but I had read this thread and thought why not give Seamonkey a try. After a few minutes of use I started thinking about what I miss from Opera, mostly Speeddial and opening up to my favourite 5 tabs. After trying to find a Speeddial extension for Seamonkey, and failing, here's what I did:
  • 1.) I went to Edit-preferences and made file:///root/.mozilla/default/r3y1skkw.slt/bookmarks.html my homepage. (You have to bookmark at least one page first to create the file)

2.) I set Display on New Tab to "homepage".

3.) I put my 5 favourite pages to the top of the list with Bookmarks-Manage Bookmarks
Now when I open the browser I'm looking at my Bookmarks. I can click the top 5 with my mouse roller and have them open in new tabs in seconds.

When I start a new tab I'm looking at my bookmarks again. More access than Speeddial!

Once I get all the shortcut keys memorized I think I could get to like this. :D

Cheers, J

Nevermore

#22 Post by Nevermore »

I agree
xmarks is the only plugin that locks me with FF
--
/sbin/Nevermore

gcmartin

How To Make SeaMonkey as Good as Firefox...if Not Better

#23 Post by gcmartin »

SeaMonkey is a natural to Puppy because in one subsystem, you get
your speedy browser
your email client
your newsgroup
your ability to review and compose webpages

And it is NOT weighty in either its memory use or its space on the disk. The PUPPY author's selection of SeaMonkey was a very good and prudent selection in its day. Its now time to move PUPPY to SeaMonkey 2.

I have been using SeaMonkey 2 on all of my windows machines since its introduction; 2.5 years. I HAVE NEVER HAD A CRASH!