Unnamed puplet 1.1 (kernel-2.6.29.1)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
techtype

#21 Post by techtype »

MU wrote:sky2.ko itself seems to use no firmware.
Maybe one of the other modules needs firmware.
You could try to run without savefile.
Then click on the old ultrapup 1.0 pup_411.sfs to mount it.
Then copy the old /lib/firmware from the mounted sfs to the "real" /lib/firmware.
Then run the network wizard to set up the network card.

Mark
I'll try it, Mark. But, it will be tomorrow --- have to do some other jobs for the wife first.

playdayz

#22 Post by playdayz »

I have grabbed both of the 2.6.29 kernels to play with. As we go forward here is one or two thoughts. I hasn't hurt me at all that NYP has a different kernel than Puppy4. I do like to have an updated kernel more often than the kernel for Puppy 4 was updated (never); that is not a criticism--puppy4 worked well for me, but I do like more frequent updates--not constantly necessarily, but well tested and reliable updates. I also prefer to have the latest versions of software; again, not a criticism of puppy4 which worked wonderfully for me and I do understand choosing a stable older version over a buggy new version, but what I really prefer is a stable new version ;-). thanks.

MU

#23 Post by MU »

playdayz,

yes, but you always must compare advantages/disadvantages.

Kernel 2.6.15.16 meanwihle has a lot of additional modules, so more older hardware might be supported better.
And it supports closed source drivers, that were dropped in newer kernels.
So it is very important, to have a Puppy, that still uses it.

Concerning 2.6.29.1, I see mainly disadvantages.
- no squashfs lzma compression (acceptable)
- incompatible to older squashfs (acceptable)
- Ati drivers require ugly patches, reports in other forums say, those drivers now work less reliable (showstopper)
- no support for the reliable "aufs" unionfs driver (showstopper)

As this thread did not solve yet any of the open bugs for NYP with kernel 2.6.28.5, I think, I will stay with that 2.6.28.5 for now. It has more advantages for our system based on a layered filesystem.

Once lzma and aufs work, I will test again to switch to a newer one.
Reports speculate, that 2.6.30 might have inbuilt lzma support.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

aragon

#24 Post by aragon »

playdayz,

to give you also a little answer on my point of view:

1. All things MU wrote about the disadvantages of 2.6.29.1 are correct in my eyes, especially when it comes to a point of an 'official' release or at least a non experimental release.

2. For my release i could say, that it's a testbed / an experiment. It has a more 'fixed' state. I just picked up 2.6.29.1, as Barry did this actually for woof. i wanted to collect experience about kernel-configuration / optimisation. This may / may not help to build a modern / optimised kernel (maybe with 2.6.28.5) for a future official or non-official release.

3. Yes, a stable actual version is the goal. And a little less conservative kernel-config (my opinion).

aragon

tlchost

Re: Unnamed puplet 1.1 (kernel-2.6.29.1)

#25 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote: Please let us know, if this kernel is an enhancement, or creates new problems.
As reported in another thread, once the LiveCD is rebooted after the first save to CD, I can no longer mount USB drives.
MU wrote: And please post there what error you get, if you type something like
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
(where sda2 is of course the value of one of your USB drives).
And look with "lsmod", if the USB module are loaded, so if you have such a line: Quote:
usbcore 117852 7 uhci_hcd,usbhid,usb_storage,usbkbd,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
Very difficult for me to give you the exact error message, since I am unable to mount and external USB drives and also can not mount my internal hard drive.

Since it doesn't appear to be only USB drives that can not be mounted, can I give you other information that will be of assistance?

Thom

techtype

No joy

#26 Post by techtype »

MU wrote:Thanks Aragon, very important hint!

Techtype, sky2.ko itself seems to use no firmware.
Maybe one of the other modules needs firmware.
You could try to run without savefile.
Then click on the old ultrapup 1.0 pup_411.sfs to mount it.
Then copy the old /lib/firmware from the mounted sfs to the "real" /lib/firmware.
Then run the network wizard to set up the network card.

Mark
OK, tried it and it did not cause any errors but did not fix the problem. Then I tried various similar techniques for copying the modules and/or the older kernel, but I could not get any of them to work at all even using depmod -a. I'm just not smart enough in Linux even though in Windows I'm a programmer.

playdayz

#27 Post by playdayz »

@ MU, Aragon

Thanks for the theory guys. I was not agitating for 2.6.29, only saying that it was not necessary imo to have the same kernel as Puppy main official release. 2.6.28.5 is working splendidly for me right now in NYPrc10. Am I right that it wouldn't matter if they were the same number, because they would be configured differently and so modules would not be interchangeable anyway??? If things would be interchangeable would that be a reason to use the same kernel version?
a little less conservative kernel-config (my opinion).
my opinion also; my main work computer must have smp and drivers for my hd3850. Because NYP is working so well I have been doing half of my work on it and it is working very nicely, smooth, quick, and stable. Because of the quickness of Puppy, even with hal and dbus enabled, it is much more pleasant than working in windows. It is also prettier than windows with, thanks to MU, many alternatives about which desktop to use. My hope is that there will be an ongoing well-tested and well-supported "big linux" version of Puppy, like NYP.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 28 Apr 2009, 16:13, edited 3 times in total.

playdayz

Please Delete

#28 Post by playdayz »

@ MU, Aragon

Thanks for the theory guys. I was not agitating for 2.6.29, only saying that it was not necessary imo to have the same kernel as Puppy main official release. 2.6.28.5 is working splendidly for me right now in NYPrc10.
a little less conservative kernel-config (my opinion).
my opinion also; my main work computer must have smp and drivers for my hd3850. Because NYP is working so well I have been doing half of my work on it and it is working very nicely, smooth, quick, and stable. Because of the quickness of Puppy, even with hal and dbus enabled, it is much more pleasant than working in windows. It is also prettier than windows with, thanks to MU, many alternatives about which desktop to use.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#29 Post by Béèm »

Having seen the 2.6.29.1 kernel announcement, I had good hopes, but apparently wow based distro's are incompatible with my Medion MD8818 PC. No joy thus.

I booted with loglevel=7 and I am again stuck at the same point as other wow distro's.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

aragon

Re: Please Delete

#30 Post by aragon »

playdayz wrote:I was not agitating for 2.6.29
i have not understand it in this way ;-)

but my personal hope is that the standard gets a kernel in the way we all think. which one, simply the best for puppies needs... but i don't think that we're thinking much different.

@ Béèm
it seems your hw is very special (for linux) :cry: you're on a little testing marathon, so one more for testing yet: did you try my 4.2 with 2.6.29.1? The kernel is a little different configured, so maybe more luck?

aragon

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#31 Post by Béèm »

aragon wrote:@ Béèm
it seems your hw is very special (for linux) Crying or Very sad you're on a little testing marathon, so one more for testing yet: did you try my 4.2 with 2.6.29.1? The kernel is a little different configured, so maybe more luck?
Had not seen the announcement yet. Thanks for telling.

And hey, you're a hero.
The first 4.20 distro which supports my second sata HDD.
Thanks.

I'll report in the proper thread as well.
Time savers:

aragon

#32 Post by aragon »

for anyone interested:

i created a diff-report in html-format that shows the differences between MU's and my build. maybe this helps to track down some things.

URL: http://www.tdk-net.de/puppy/differences-mu-aragon.htm

Note: 0.9 mb.

aragon

Béèm

#33 Post by Béèm »

Aragon, interesting stuff. Thank you
Being totally ignorant about kernel options/building and the file being chinese for me I tried to find the different settings look CONFIG_SCSI CONFIG_SATA etc..to see how come you new smp works and MU's not.

I didn't find it, but it's no problem. I understand maybe a little betr what is needed to build a kernel.
Time savers:

MU

#34 Post by MU »

the diff looks interesting, many thanks!
In the HTML-presentation I can see differences better than in console.

I can try to build a new upload this weekend, where I would take more options from aragon.

I wonder, what this does:

Code: Select all

# CONFIG_MEMTEST is not set 		CONFIG_MEMTEST=y 
	# CONFIG_M386 is not set		# CONFIG_M386 is not set
	# CONFIG_M486 is not set 		CONFIG_M486=y 
	# CONFIG_M586 is not set		# CONFIG_M586 is not set
	# CONFIG_M586TSC is not set		# CONFIG_M586TSC is not set
	# CONFIG_M586MMX is not set		# CONFIG_M586MMX is not set
	CONFIG_M686=y 		# CONFIG_M686 is not set 
And this I should change:

# CONFIG_X86_REROUTE_FOR_BROKEN_BOOT_IRQS is not set 
and:

CONFIG_SMB_FS is not set 		CONFIG_SMB_FS=m 
	 		# CONFIG_SMB_NLS_DEFAULT is not set 
And enable some more modules, or ext4 inbuilt, not as module.

For aragon, I'd suggest:

CONFIG_PCI_MSI=y 		# CONFIG_PCI_MSI is not set 
That is required for the Ati Catalyst drivers 9.x.

He also does not enable UTF by default, but that is ok I think, as he ues Puppy as a base, without the utf-8 libc locale.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

linux28

#35 Post by linux28 »

# pcmanfm

(process:16984): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

linux28

#36 Post by linux28 »

What should be the locale?
Go download the latest locale?

MU

#37 Post by MU »

linux28 wrote:# pcmanfm

this warning can be ignored.
It comes from one of the underlying libs, but Gtk itself uses localization.
Mark

linux28

#38 Post by linux28 »

MU wrote:

Mark
Thank you to answer, but I have the translation of documents pcmanfm in / usr/share/ locale/ zh_TW/ LC_MESSAGES /pcmanfm.mo, but the interface is still displayed in English ah, yes Why? To install those libraries?

linux28

#39 Post by linux28 »

MU wrote:

Mark
Puppy4.1 with official version, the installation of some locale files will be able to translate the interface, but this version is installed on the same locale or translation of the documents can not, this version is to streamline a number of locale-related documents? Will go up there to download?
Because I am not English users, or impolite if they do not convey the idea of understanding of the requests, sorry

MU

#40 Post by MU »

Please open a console and type:

echo $LANG

This should show:
zh_TW.utf8

If not, type:
export LANG=zh_TW.utf8

Now type:
pcmanfm
If it still is english:

killall pcmanfm
pcmanfm &
pcmanfm &

Now it is chinese, I just tested it (I just see squares, as I have no chinese font installed).
------------------------------------
Explanation:
pcmanfm runs in background, to display the desktop icons.
If you run
pcmanfm, then just a new window is opened, but it is english, as the desktop was started before using english settings.
So we first must "kill" it completely.
If you run it then, it will take your new langage setting.

---------------------------------------
To make the setting permanent, run "chooselocale".
Select there "zh_TW.utf8".
Then reboot.
To check if your setting is active, ope a console and type:
echo $LANG

This should show:
zh_TW.utf8

Does this work?
If not, I must test, why zh_TW.utf8 is ignored.
With de_DE.utf8 it works fine.

Mark