Heralding the arrival of Pizzapup 1.0.5!

News, happenings
Pizzasgood

#21 Post by Pizzasgood »

Other than J_Rey's suggestions, the only thing I can think of is if you already had a usr_cram.fs on your harddrive. I don't know how that would affect it. Maybe Puppy checks to see if it's the right one first, and if not loads it from the cd. But if it doesn't check, it could be causing problems.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Nathan F

#22 Post by Nathan F »

Pizzas-
Puppy does check to see if usr_cram.fs is the correct version, and rejects it if so. I really couldn't begin to tell you what the problem really is, but I guess I can narrow it down a bit by saying that.

I'd at least look into the possibility that you had a bad disk burn, as j_rey said.

Nathan

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#23 Post by GuestToo »

if it says:

usr_cram.fs from CD to /...
...no space left on device

it means you do not have enough (virtual) ram to hold the usr_cram.fs file ... this would have nothing to do with pup001 or pup015

jsuarezcasana

isnt working with vwmare?

#24 Post by jsuarezcasana »

hi there, i was just trying to used with vwmare, to no avail
doesn recognize either kind of hard drive, throwas some errors, and ask for password :cry:

if anyone finds a way, it will be great
cheers

JL

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#25 Post by GuestToo »

i'm just trying Pizzapup from a cdrw (i never did try Pizzapup 1.0.1 ... though i did i upload quite a few copies using bit torrent)

Pizzapup is a bit bigger than Puppy 1.0.5, so it might not work if you don't have enough ram, even though Puppy 1.0.5 might work

a lot of the extra size seems to have gone into image.gz ... i don't think i would have done it that way ... Rox 2.3 and Firefox are in /root/my-roxapps, which means they are probably in image.gz ... i probably would have moved them to /usr/local/apps ... Rox could have replaced Rox 1.2, which is still installed and runs, which would save about 500k (uncompressed) ... it would require a few paths to be changed, but if you symlinked the Rox and Firefox roxapps to my-roxapps, i think it should work without any changes at all

and icewm is in my-applications ... i would have put it in /usr ... i made a program (installed by dotpup) that makes an Unleashed package from your Icewm installation, themes, and configuration, which puts everything in /usr ... you can install it with pupget as a local package, if you can't use Unleashed ... i would have moved the menu file from /usr to /root/.icewm though, because there are programs (dotpups and fixmenus) that look for it there

the Puppy Firefox bookmarks is a nice touch

maybe the Icewm Help item in the menu is there because you got an earlier version of my Icewm menu for 1.0.5 ... i think i put a fix that disabled it in either my 1.0.5 menu installer, or my SP 105, or both

anyway, Pizzapup seems to work quite well

Raman

Set Time & Date on Desktop, Please

#26 Post by Raman »

Pizzapup 105 is very nice indeed, but with several minor requests:

1. Set Time & Date from the Desktop. Puppy Linux 1.0.5 has the ability to set Time & Date from the Desktop because -- in part -- setting time and date from the command line in Linux is a genuine pain.

2. Desktop background color does not work, or does not work for me.

3. Setting Desktop theme does not work, or does not work for me.

Please remember that setting time and date from the desktop is very important, so please include this feature in your next release.

Hail Puppy!

Raman

Pizzasgood

#27 Post by Pizzasgood »

Thanks for the tips, G2. I know I didn't exactly optimize it. This round was to see if I could even get the stuff in it and to play nicely. Next time I will take it a step further and place things more appropriately. I left the old Rox just in case.

Hmm... All that stuff referring to the desktop is most likely due to using IceWM and Rox 2.3 instead of JWM and Rox 1.2. I've never tried changing the clock in linux at all, but if I remember right, that was part of JWM. The desktop color is most likely a Rox thing. I don't know what you mean by the themes. Are you reffering to IceWM's themes or the Rox icon themes?
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Nathan F

#28 Post by Nathan F »

I do have an icewm unleashed package already made, if anyone's interested. I made it for Grafpup, so the menu is different, but I can restore the original menu easily.

Nathan

raffy

Yes

#29 Post by raffy »

Yes, sir, interested (count me in please).

#30 Post by Guest »

Raffy,
I'll tar it up and post it in a little while.

Nathan

Nathan F

#31 Post by Nathan F »

Here's the icewm unleashed package that I made. I replaced the menu with G2's Puppy-1.0.5 menu. This should make remastering the cd easier and neater.

This was made using G2's dotpup-see his post above. It's actually really easy to do yourself.

Nathan

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#32 Post by GuestToo »

i'm not sure about optimization

i think having a bigger image.gz means you need a little more ram when it first boots, but i think anything in /root0 (stuff that is copied from image.gz to /root) is deleted soon after it boots anyway, which frees up some ram ... anything in usr_cram.fs stays in usr_cram.fs and is not deleted, so it would stay in ram (whether you use it or not) ... i'm not sure which is better

Pizzapup had Icewm Help enabled in the menu, and Timidity needs a larger buffer ... other than that, i didn't notice any problems ... i could easily make a Pizzapup-Service-Pack dotpup for any tweaks and bugfixes

(also, for Timidity, i set the default volume higher ... when you click Timidity in the menu, a window pops up saying to launch midi files from the command line, but Timidity seem to have a gui, i think if the menu runs timidity -ig it should start the gui, but maybe there was a reason it was done that way)

i usually use my Set-Clock-From-The-Internet dotpup to set my clock (automatically from the internet) ... i think MU has a Time Set dotpup that is supposed to work well ... they are pretty small, because they are just scripts (setting the time from the internet is really just 2 commands, rdate and hwclock )

if you use Rox 2.3 for the desktop icons, it takes over the wallpaper and desktop colour (right click a desktop icon and click Background to set the wallpaper and/or desktop colour) ... maybe that can be disabled, if it can, i don't know how ... Barry's wizards that set the wallpaper/desktop-colour will not work if you use Rox 2.3 for the desktop icons (actually, it does work, you just don't see that layer) ... the Icewm background won't seem to work either, for the same reason

i have a program (dotpup) that creates an Icewm Unleashed package from your installed Icewm ... i think it should work ok, i haven't actually tested it by making an iso with it, but i think it should work ... the idea was, i would not make an Unleashed package with my own preferences and themes and configuration, you would set up icewm the way you like and my program would make an Unleashed package from your Icewm files

Amd 64

#33 Post by Guest »

couldi use iton an amd64pc

Pizzasgood

#34 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't know, that depends on Puppy itself, not Pizzapup.

Hmm, I thought I fixed the help thing when I made it. I did lose a small session of work at one point, but I don't think that was it. Oh well.

If you want to make a service pack, that's fine with me. I'm done updating this edition of Pizzapup unless something severe is found. The next one will probably have a preview first because it will have more significant changes, but this one only seems to have minor problems.

Also, I was aware that the old rox and the wizards were still there. I left them just in case the old rox was needed, because I still don't 100% trust 2.3. The next edition will leave it behind, but I'll make a dotpup to put it back.

Raman

MD5 for Pizzapup 105? Time&Date on Desktop?

#35 Post by Raman »

The link to Pizzapup 105 MD5 seems to be broken. Can you supply the MD5? Perhaps putting the MD5 sum on the release notes would make it easier to check the (dial up) download, which can be in serious error given the slow download speeds and dirty dial up connections and long, long download times in certain (very) remote parts of the world. Like mine.

Also, to restate my Time&Date request, please consider putting the Time&Date setting on the desktop like in the official 1.0.5 release. Some of us poor, downtrodden folks use fairly junky equipment and BIOS batteries can get old, and so forth, so setting time and date is a daily chore if the old BIOS is funky and batteries are hard to get in some (very) remote parts of the world.

Hail Puppy!

Raman

#36 Post by Guest »

1cabfba446700c99ce36a692fc6f7bd0

Pizzasgood

#37 Post by Pizzasgood »

The link to Pizzapup 105 MD5 seems to be broken
Sorry about that, I assumed Ted_Dog put the md5sum file on his server, but he just linked to mine :oops: I re-uploaded it, so all is well again.

#38 Post by Guest »

Hello to all!

The idea of Pizzapup is wonderful. I like it. I also like Puppy that Im using for two months. But I have a problem with pizzapup edition so naturally I have a question.

When I start pizzapup everything goes well until the message:
RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
and there the system stops.
Where is the problem??? I have 64MB ram. On my new PC work well!!!!
Thanks! hope you`ll help me!

Nathan F

#39 Post by Nathan F »

WaWeeT,

I think the problem yo're having is that Pizzapup has a much larger image.gz than the regular Puppy. You're probably running out of ram just at that point during the boot process, which is exactly where I would expect it to stall under the circumstances.

I don't know if there's any workarounds for oyur situation if this is indeed the problem, but someone else may know a solution.

Nathan

Pizzasgood

#40 Post by Pizzasgood »

That's what it sounds like to me. Good looks come with a price :(
The image.gz is 19 megabytes. Standard Puppy's is 6.8
Thats roughly three times. Next time I'm going to utilize the usr_cram.fs file more. I wanted to keep the stuff in the default install locations, but I see now that that was a bad idea. Like they say, you only stick a screw-driver into the electrical outlet once.