gDesklets 0.36 beta (Only for Puppy-3)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Eyes-Only

#21 Post by Eyes-Only »

Kewl Mark!! Hey, sehr danke mein broder! ;) Many thanks my brother! I'd booted into my Muppy 008.3 here the other morning and suddenly---no weather forecast! :'( I was lost without the weather on my desktop Mark! Granted, I don't have this in all my distros, but this and the calendar (along with the Mint-like menu) are just some of the touches that make Muppy the great distro that it is, you know? "Everything at a glance or a click."

Difficult when my wife asks, "What's tomorrow's weather gonna be like?" and I can't tell her at a glance! ;)

Thanks for your persistence in fixing this Mark! You're wonderful! A Six Pack of Guinness whenever you visit me, you hear?

Guten tag mein broder! mfg,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

MU

#22 Post by MU »

I don't drink alcohol since 5 1/2 years already :D
But I'd love to visit you :!:
Must just earn some bucks first, so that I could pay a flight.
Lets hope, that Muppy will bring us some financial success (service contracts) :)
Then I'd really like to visit Canada, especially if I could meet you, and see and learn about the abenaque traditions :P

Merci mon frere, Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

WhoDo

#23 Post by WhoDo »

MU wrote:I attach a dotpet with the fix for goodweather.
Great stuff! Thanks for that, Mark. 8)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

MU

#24 Post by MU »

I have set up a mirror of most of wows librarys.
Some I did not download yet, I also left out NLS files, where they seemed not to be important.
I think it is faster to navigate than filefront.
They are sorted slightly different.

http://dotpups.de/puppy3/dotpups/Librar ... 19.2-libs/

Note: there is a more recent and more complete SFS of Gnome 2.20:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27864

I just update these older libs 2.19.2, as some of them are included in the current Muppy (0083), and because they include NLS (localization).

Libs-1-and-Panel
Required in any case, give you a simple Gnome-Panel.
See here how to integrate Puppys menu:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25925

Gdesklets-need-Libs1
As the name says, the gdesklets.

Screenlets-need-Libs-1
Those work only with compiz.

other-Libs
If a program needs one of these...

Libs-2-and-Anjuta-need-Libs-1
I currently try to compile the IDE Anjuta.
It uses a newer version of Glade, than we have in Puppy 3.
And lots of common developer libs.
I will continue later, have a meeting today.
So I cannot promise yet, that there will appear a working version of Anjuta. At least the libs might help you in some cases, it took 2 days to sort out and compile them.

If you need a current version of gstreamer, look at this post for exaile:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28866

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

wolfwatcher51

#25 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Hello all,

I really want to gget this working in my fatfree puppy. I have read and reread the full thread and am a little lost.

I am not sure which parts and d'loads go with gdesklets and which are for gnome bar? etc. I am easily confused, no news here.

So, I have d'loaded gDesklets...pet and all the pets listed under required in wow's original post. I also d'loaded MU's fix for goodweather.

Is this the correct packages to install to get gdesklets installed correctly? If not, or if a simpler way is known, please help, it will be much appreciated.

Once I get the right stuff, I guess I should start installing the required pets first, in the order listed? Do a few, then reboot and continue, right?

Then install the gdesklets pet and check for dependencies? Does it matter which wm I am using with regards to the install and where gdesklets puts the taskbar icon and if it gets a listing under menu/utilities/gdesklets/? I am using icewm via EZPup along with wbar and hotpup.

Thanks in advance, Chris.

can8v

#26 Post by can8v »

MU wrote:Solved :!: :D
http://pear.php.net/bugs/bug.php?id=13845

I attach a dotpet with the fix for goodweather.

Changed line 41 in
/root/.gdesklets/Sensors/GoodWeather/__init__.py

Code: Select all

"%(weather_code)s?cc=*&dayf=5&prod=xoap&" \
to:

"%(weather_code)s?link=xoap&cc=*&dayf=5&prod=xoap&" \
Mark
Mark,
In reference to the above post, your dot pet would not install. I ran it and it gave the "Installed successfully" message at the end, but Good Weather still did not work and when I looked in my package manager the dot pet did not show up. :?
Anyway, because your post was very detailed about what exactly the dot pet did I was able to simply make the changes to the necessary file and get my Good Weather application working on both of my machines. Thanks a million.
can8v

wolfwatcher51

#27 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Hello all,

OK, I sucked it up and installed all the pets, rebooting after several. Must have gone good, I got the icon on the taskbar and an entry in utility.

I d'loaded the calendar tar ball and got it installed and pretty much configured. I have done some looking around, but I did not see the obvious way to have gdesklets start automatically after rebooting.

What code would I use and would it go into rc.d/rc.local or .xinitrc, or ???
Please help me get this next step completed.

I will probably add the clock widget also.

I would like to replace conky with a couple of widgets. I think I would like to have cpu,ram,swap usage and possibly a couple others. I looked through the archived desklets, but I am not sure what to get since they just have the name and no illustration.

If you would be so kind, please make some suggestions as to what to use that you know works with this version of gdesklets.

WhoDo

#28 Post by WhoDo »

wolfwatcher51 wrote:What code would I use and would it go into rc.d/rc.local or .xinitrc, or ???
None of the above. You should use /root/.icewm/startup which can be edited from the Quicklaunch menu on the taskbar. Here is my code:

killall gdesklets shell
sleep 2 && gdesklets shell &
The gdesklets shell will manage which individual gdesklets run automatically.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

wolfwatcher51

#29 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

WhoDo,

Thanks for the code, it worked like a charm,Chris.

can8v

#30 Post by can8v »

I inserted the following into my .xinitrc

# Start gDesklets applications.
sleep 3 && gdesklets &
Not sure what the difference is. I guess my question is for WhoDo. Does it make any difference? Should I call the application from /root/.icewm/startup.
Everything seems to work as is. I am not sure if this is just a case of "there is more than one way to skin a cat" or if you have a good reason for not calling the application from .xinitrc
can8v

WhoDo

#31 Post by WhoDo »

can8v wrote:Everything seems to work as is. I am not sure if this is just a case of "there is more than one way to skin a cat" or if you have a good reason for not calling the application from .xinitrc
The difference will be that my way Gdesklets will only run in IceWM. Your way, it will run regardless of WM. I don't use anything but IceWM so I avoid playing with the X startup as much as possible, that's all.

can8v

#32 Post by can8v »

@WhoDo
Ah I see, I also only use Ice. I may consider this as well.

wolfwatcher51

#33 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Hello all,

All I can say is thanks and WOW, this is too cool.

I have the weather with MU's fix, calendar,clock, and side candy disk info running.

I would like to get the deskletradar going, but no luck so far. I put the url I use for the weather radar on my windoze box. I get "No control could be found for interface Iradar: 34ytru29kyaim0rutvafas1s-2" or something close. Anybody know what this means? Also, what do you put in the "Set base directory path" box?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.Thanks, Chris.

If you have not looked at the tux clocks desklet you are missing a funny piece of work. Lot of work and very nice, but not for everybody.

wolfwatcher51

#34 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Nobody got deskletradar working?

Thanks, Chris.

wolfwatcher51

#35 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

I like good weather and with the fix it works great.

But, with my desktop it was a little wide.

I then found Good Weather Mod-Small. The file is Good Weather-White.tar.gz. It works just like the full size one, including the fix, except there is three rather than 4 days shown and the days are a separate display under the current display.

Had a heck of a time finding a good download link. Here it is, enjoy. I tried to attach the file but no go, sorry. What is procedure, allowed exts and sizes shows 0 bytes???

http://jiiprahdesign.blogspot.com/2008/ ... klets.html

P.S. Not to be a pita, but nobody knows how to get radar working? Bummer. Thanks, Chris.

Aitch

#36 Post by Aitch »

@wolfwatcher51
I tried to attach the file but no go, sorry. What is procedure, allowed exts and sizes shows 0 bytes???
Try zipping it before attaching

Aitch

wolfwatcher51

#37 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Hello all.
I am using this for my desklet clock.

Would one of you talented and generous posters please make a mod for me? There is a roundish, light area between about 11 and 3 on the clock face. I think it is supposed to be glare or something.

It looks a little off when used with the fury background. I would be most grateful if that glare could be removed so clock face is even colored. The light area in the bezel in that area, like the one between about 9 and 7 is fine.

Attachments
fx.png
(23.12 KiB) Downloaded 1587 times

ttuuxxx

#38 Post by ttuuxxx »

wolfwatcher51 wrote:Hello all.
I am using this for my desklet clock.

Would one of you talented and generous posters please make a mod for me? There is a roundish, light area between about 11 and 3 on the clock face. I think it is supposed to be glare or something.

It looks a little off when used with the fury background. I would be most grateful if that glare could be removed so clock face is even colored. The light area in the bezel in that area, like the one between about 9 and 7 is fine.

hows these???
enjoy
ttuuxxx
Attachments
clock6.png
(40.06 KiB) Downloaded 1591 times
clock5.png
(25.98 KiB) Downloaded 1540 times
clock4.png
(22.07 KiB) Downloaded 1532 times
clock3.png
(22.41 KiB) Downloaded 1156 times
clock2.png
(19.52 KiB) Downloaded 1540 times
clock1.png
(16.65 KiB) Downloaded 1589 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Aitch

#39 Post by Aitch »

@ttuuxxx

clock6 - YAY :lol:

Aitch

wolfwatcher51

#40 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

WOW, you "guys" are the best, and quick too.

Thanks for the clocks. I am with Aitch, like 6 the best, but might have to use 5 since it looks like the fury b'ground I am using.

Thanks again, Chris.