Gxine media player barely functions in 3.01

Booting, installing, newbie
metal1

Xine new

#21 Post by metal1 »

Hi all,
I'm trying to install the new Xine through the Pet Manager but once installed, says it needs the xine lib and quite a few other files. Have no idea how to install the new 1.1.8 lib package I downloaded. Maybe I'll try VLC, see if that works. I installed the Xine UI 0.99.5. This is frustrating! Thanks,
metal1

Bruce B

Re: Xine new

#22 Post by Bruce B »

metal1 wrote:Hi all,
I'm trying to install the new Xine through the Pet Manager but once installed, says it needs the xine lib and quite a few other files. Have no idea how to install the new 1.1.8 lib package I downloaded. Maybe I'll try VLC, see if that works. I installed the Xine UI 0.99.5. This is frustrating! Thanks,
metal1
Welcome!

As this is your first post, I don't know how much you've been following.

I'm using 2.17 and have no complaints with Gxine.

Users of 3.xx have some specific and repeated complaints with same Gxine name, but it is a different and newer release.

I'm sure Barry is aware of the complaints, but I don't know what his plans are.

It seems to me if Gxine working right is a significant consideration to the user, that one should do one of the following:

a) go back to the last know version of Puppy when it didn't have this series of complaints

b) install the earlier version of Gxine in 3.xxx

c) wait and see if its fixed in 3.02

d) troubleshoot it and fix it. publish the results, meaning how you fixed it.

What do you all think?

metal1

New Gxine

#23 Post by metal1 »

I uninstalled the new player, the old one works ok. I just saw the new versions on the author's website and they were much nicer. I'll just wait till things work as far as the install goes. Thanks to all, this is my first venture into Linux, I kinda like it. :)

rajeshh

#24 Post by rajeshh »

For me running gxine from the desktop icon logs an error in /tmp/gxineerror.log saying:

gxine: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and this.so is in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

running gxine from shell at least starts it. I haven't gone further than that.

Centennial Puppy

#25 Post by Centennial Puppy »

I stopped using gxine once I installed VLC. Used to use VLC before replacing Windows - VLC is so dependable at not crashing or freezing. I do not know how to make VLC my default player, but I launch VLC and drag the file from ROX and drop it onto VLC to use. Easy enough.

wingruntled

#26 Post by wingruntled »

I was having nothing but problems with Gxine freezing up in 3.01 so I downloaded the version from Puppy 2.17 from http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ackages-2/
And installed it. Gxine ver: 0.5.9 from 2.17 works great in 3.01.

richhard

#27 Post by richhard »

Hi wingruntled,
I would like also to give a try to Gxine 0.5.9,
I installed it, but still 0.5.11 is starting up :?
This is the original: it does not appear in the packet manager!
BUT: how to arrange this, how deinstall the 0.5.11?

wingruntled

#28 Post by wingruntled »

Hi, richhard
The older gxine pet package installs to a different location so the Play icon on the desktop and the Gxine in the menu still loads the newer version. The older version is installed to /usr/local/bin . What I did was navigate to that directory and drug that gxine to the desktop to start the older version. there is one bug when playing DVD's full screen. You have to maximize the windows before you can chose the "full screen" option in gxine or the program will lockup, but I think Puppy 2.17 had the same problem.

richhard

#29 Post by richhard »

Hi wingruntled,
I tried so, but was not able to start the old version: it is starting,
visible in the task-manager, but nowhere else.
AND: now the new version is not working also, hopefully will work
after reboot.

Remark: if you choose full-screen before play DVD, it works, but
if you touch anything else, it freezes!! (with v 0.5.11)

Is there no chance to get a Gxine version installed, which is really
flawless working??