Blender-2.45 Released Sept 19 2007

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
shr1k

#21 Post by shr1k »

First off Thanks
2.45 works fine (once you get opengl working)
Can any one help me get the new builds from http://www.graphicall.org/builds/index.php
to work in Puppy 3.01

Volsung

#22 Post by Volsung »

additional libraries link seems to be broken...
[img]http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/3843/magussigbc0.jpg[/img]

Dingo

#23 Post by Dingo »

Volsung wrote:additional libraries link seems to be broken...
you can download all blender related packages from me on dokupuppy:

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... :3d_design
Last edited by Dingo on Sun 22 Jun 2008, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

miriam

Yay!!!

#24 Post by miriam »

Squeeeee! :D

I am sooo grateful to you Previously known as Guest! I'd installed the older Blender2.41 some time back and was using it, but wanted a more recent version because the BlenderGameEngine crashed when I tried to use it. I have Debian on one of my partitions and the game engine works fine on it but I hadn't counted on how attached to Puppy I had become. I've found it really hard to tear myself away from Puppy and didn't want to use anything else. This truly surprised me.

Anyway, today I visited my folks and wanted to show my niece some of the cool stuff Blender could do, but had forgotten to bring the installer and couldn't remember the address, so I googled for it and to my surprise and utter joy I found this thread. I installed this 2.45 version of Blender and it works almost perfectly! Yay!

Thank you so much!

Just one small question. When I run it from command line (checking for error messages) this new version displays:

Code: Select all

open /dev/[sound/]dsp: Device or resource busy
Any idea what this means? Or more importantly how to fix it? I assume it means it can't access the sound device, which is not a great problem just now, but eventually I will want to use sound in my Blender animations.
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]

Pizzasgood

#25 Post by Pizzasgood »

Possibly there is another program hogging the audio. It helps if you make sure all audio programs are set to use the ALSA driver rather than OSS.

This could be something else though. Back in December I was trying to put some sound into an animation and couldn't get Blender to cooperate. I think I remember an error message about /dev/dsp but I'm not sure. I didn't have time to play around with it to find the problem (exams were very near).

I've never gotten around to seeing what the issue was, and now my computer is packed up for the summer. I'll have to try it on my laptop sometime to see if it has the same issue.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

miriam

#26 Post by miriam »

Thanks for the suggestion Pizzasgood.

The only thing I had which didn't seem to like ALSA was XMMS. It was not running last time I used Blender and got this error, but it was running when I started answering this email so I first tried getting it to co-operate with ALSA. I had no luck when using XMMS with the default PCM device through ASLA, so then tried it with one of the two hardware devices and for the first time XMMS worked with ALSA. (A nice little victory right there!)

So now I shut XMMS down (sound apps don't seem to like each other in Linux) and started Blender. Loaded a simple demo I'd made of a ball falling onto a plane and bouncing. Pressed "P" when in Object Mode to play the animation in the Game Engine.... no error! Yay!

What is odd is that XMMS wasn't running the previous time I got the error, just the same as it wasn't running this time. Perhaps XMMS let me alter the ALSA driver to use the hardware device instead of the default PCM device and it is this that Blender didn't like????

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Thanks for the suggestion Pizzasgood. I'm grateful.

miriam

standalone blender demos

#27 Post by miriam »

Just a note to inform that the install puts blenderplayer (which is Blender's game engine) in the "wrong" place. It works fine under most circumstances, but if you create a demo and want to save it as a stand-alone example that people can play without needing Blender then blenderplayer must be in the same folder as the Blender executable is.

The easiest way to do this is move it from its .pup installed position at /usr/local/bin and put it with blender in /usr/local/Blender-2.45-linux-glibc236-py24-i386/

Of course you'll want blenderplayer to be in the command path too, so you can then play standalone game or demo files. Just make a link to blenderplayer and put the link in the command path (for example in /usr/local/bin).

Kliment

#28 Post by Kliment »

Good afternoon! Who can help the designer? It is very necessary Blender 2.46 PET for Puppy :cry:

miriam

#29 Post by miriam »

Blender 2.46 was only released last week, but you could try downloading the binary from
http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/
I don't know if it will work. I'm not sure which version of glibc the various Puppys use, but the official Blender site's version requires glibc 2.3.6. You'd probably need a recent version of Puppy.

Blender 2.46 comes in 2 different versions. One for python 2.4 and one for python 2.5. I haven't tried it yet. I'm still learning to use Blender 2.45.

Let us know if it works for you. And don't forget to mention which version of Puppy you are using.

Good luck.

Pizzasgood

#30 Post by Pizzasgood »

I have the Python 2.5 version working in Puppy 3.01 using the same dependencies I installed for the old Blender.

I don't remember exactly which dependencies those are. It was a while ago when I installed them.

To install Blender, just download the binary for Linux for Python 2.5. Extract it wherever you want it to be installed. Then go inside the directory that it makes and symlink the file named blender into /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin. You can also drag it to the desktop to make a desktop icon.

That's it. To uninstall, just delete the symlink, desktop icon, and directory.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

crabbypup

#31 Post by crabbypup »

i cannot download blender or the library files using the links provided. it gives me a 'forbidden' message. is it possible to put the files somewhere else?
my avatar is what happens when you run windoze.

Dingo

#32 Post by Dingo »

crabbypup wrote:i cannot download blender or the library files using the links provided. it gives me a 'forbidden' message. is it possible to put the files somewhere else?
ar you able to download from me?
http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... :3d_design

otherwise i will make another mirror
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

crabbypup

#33 Post by crabbypup »

yep that one works. thanks!
my avatar is what happens when you run windoze.