How do I share files between two Puppy Linux computers?

Booting, installing, newbie
battleshooter

#21 Post by battleshooter »

Seems to work well. Thanks for that Muggins!

Battleshooter

guruz

#22 Post by guruz »

Hey,

I am one of the developers of p300. If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to ask :)

johnebbinghaus

#23 Post by johnebbinghaus »

After following the readme.txt for the PcurlFtp file sharing, I am confronted with a "Can not connect to server" message.

I have set up one anonymously-accessible file on each of two computers both running Puppy4.1, and residing on the same internet-connected network.

I can scan the network and find the other computer, and I can create the Shared xxxxx files in File-Sharing. Just keep getting that "Can not connect to server" message.

It sure sounded simple.......

tw296

#24 Post by tw296 »

Personally I favour sftp for filesharing. Trivial to setup, just install the ssh server, it will provide sftp as well. There are a few security considerations mind, so block ssh at your router (port 22) if you're not sharing files over the internet.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#25 Post by Béèm »

It's always useful to search for previous discussions about a subject, f.e. through the puppysearch link (see my sig)

The issue has been discussed a couple of days ago.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

johnebbinghaus

#26 Post by johnebbinghaus »

Dear Beem and tw296,
Thank you for your responses.
<snowy Sunday rant>
I'd have to disagree about the search always being useful. This is not the only time I have not been able to find a definitive answer on a Puppy question. Perhaps the problem is that one must dig out the answer from sometimes hundreds of posts in numerous threads. There is no one repository that cements the final answer in place. Maybe it's the technical writer in me... I've been doing that for the past 8 years or so, and sometimes it gets in the way. I can fully appreciate the voluntary nature of open-source projects, and for some, I'm sure that the unstructured way things are presented is part of the charm. I just don't think that forums are the magic well of wisdom that they're made out to be.
Puppy is a product, just like any other commercial operating system. It happens to be supported by, in large, programmers and other IT professionals, but it is used by everyone. There's a saying in Denmark, "I don't want to understand it, just want it to work". And I don't think thereś anything wrong with that. We here in the Puppy community (and I feel that I'm part of that, going so far as to try to get Puppy into our local schools and parent's homes) are evangelizing about how wonderful Linux is in general, and Puppy in particular...and this is to the general public. Would you reasonably expect a non-IT person to figure this out? At the risk of being branded a heretic, I'll say that you can do file sharing in Windows without a problem, and in Apple while sleeping. PcurlFtp is the only menu option included in the basic Puppy 4.1 distribution that addresses file sharing. I tried to get it to work, and I couldn't. Is it reasonable that within that option I could find a way to get it to work? Did it teach me more about filesharing? Do I really need to go to a third party solution to get it to work? Which one? Sftp is a fine suggestion, but itś a protocol, (one of four according to Wikipedia), not a product. There are plenty of ways to implement it. Which one is best for Puppy?
This is exactly the kind of hunt I was hoping to avoid -finding one answer that leads to three others.
I appreciate the time both you and TW296took to answer me. Guess I'll just rely on my 2Gb memory stick to transfer stuff until I have the time to route out the answer, or wait til Puppy has another major version change where the stuff that's included "just works".
</snowy Sunday rant>

tw296

#27 Post by tw296 »

johnebbinghaus wrote:Dear Beem and tw296,
Thank you for your responses.
<snowy Sunday rant>
I'd have to disagree about the search always being useful. This is not the only time I have not been able to find a definitive answer on a Puppy question. Perhaps the problem is that one must dig out the answer from sometimes hundreds of posts in numerous threads.
Indeed. I would take the fact that we have a thread pointing to FOUR different searches suggests that NONE of them are much good.
There is no one repository that cements the final answer in place. Maybe it's the technical writer in me... I've been doing that for the past 8 years or so, and sometimes it gets in the way. I can fully appreciate the voluntary nature of open-source projects, and for some, I'm sure that the unstructured way things are presented is part of the charm. I just don't think that forums are the magic well of wisdom that they're made out to be.
I believe we have a wiki. Once you've solved issues, it sounds like you'd be the right person to write them up there.
Puppy is a product, just like any other commercial operating system. It happens to be supported by, in large, programmers and other IT professionals, but it is used by everyone. There's a saying in Denmark, "I don't want to understand it, just want it to work". And I don't think thereś anything wrong with that.
I do. One should never shy away from gaining knowledge. True, one shouldn't have to put in weeks of study to get something working, but five minutes of explanation could go a long way. Though I do hold that usually the relevant question is not 'how does it work' but 'why does it not work?'
We here in the Puppy community (and I feel that I'm part of that, going so far as to try to get Puppy into our local schools and parent's homes) are evangelizing about how wonderful Linux is in general, and Puppy in particular...and this is to the general public. Would you reasonably expect a non-IT person to figure this out?
Personally, I wouldn't point a Linux newbie to Puppy, unless I knew they wanted to use an old computer.
At the risk of being branded a heretic, I'll say that you can do file sharing in Windows without a problem, and in Apple while sleeping. PcurlFtp is the only menu option included in the basic Puppy 4.1 distribution that addresses file sharing. I tried to get it to work, and I couldn't. Is it reasonable that within that option I could find a way to get it to work? Did it teach me more about filesharing? Do I really need to go to a third party solution to get it to work? Which one? Sftp is a fine suggestion, but itś a protocol, (one of four according to Wikipedia), not a product. There are plenty of ways to implement it. Which one is best for Puppy?
This is exactly the kind of hunt I was hoping to avoid -finding one answer that leads to three others.
gFTP, in the internet menu, is the program you want - it can do sftp (listed as ssh) and some other protocols, as well as normal ftp. But I agree it's not obvious.

puppyluvr

#28 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
In Puppy 4.1.1 my Wife and I use the "File Sharing" directory in /root....
IDK how it works,(FTP??) but it works well...
I dont think it uses the net, just our router, but IDK...
I just set mine up as server, and open the directory or hers...(or vise-versa)
Really easy....
Thought Id mention it...