Which new Puppy for my Dell Latitude E6510 laptop?

Using applications, configuring, problems
666philb

#21 Post by 666philb »

nic007 wrote:
bigpup wrote:One specific version of Puppy Linux will not support every possible computer :shock:
Never has and never will!!

That has always been why there are several Puppy versions to choose from.
Does the latest Puppy support the very latest machines, hardware and software?
hi nic007,

yes they do. some examples ....
bionicpup and dpupbuster see my nvme M2 SSD where as xenialpup and before don't. also tahrpup can't even format older sata SSDs.
nouveau will also run a 4k monitor at 4k resolution in bionic and dpupbuster where as xenial can only run it at 1080p.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

mistfire

#22 Post by mistfire »

You can also try X-Slacko Slim and TazPuppy

Mike Walsh

#23 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ nic007:-
nic007 wrote:BTW, Mike. I know you have experimented quite a bit with regards to upgrading glibc in older Puppy's. What is the impact of these upgrades in terms of performance?
Um. TBH, I can't say as I've ever actually measured it (how would you measure system reaction times in the milliseconds?) Subjectively; I would estimate it's probably about the same. Maybe a touch slower, but you'd have to be a total performance 'freak' to worry about it; in real, day-to-day usage, it's honestly not noticeable.

Of course, in Puppy's case, you can't bring install method into it. It doesn't matter whether you're running from USB, or internal SSD.....that only affects boot times. Every Puppy, on any given system, will run as fast as the system's RAM 'timing' will allow it to. As stated on the Forum, so many times over the years, your RAM is indeed the most critical component as far as Pup's concerned. Your CPU, of course, runs it a close second.

These two between them determine not only how well Pup will run, but also how fast she'll romp along.....

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 11 Dec 2019, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

J_D_

#24 Post by J_D_ »

mistfire wrote:You can also try X-Slacko Slim and TazPuppy
Thanks for these suggestions. I need to invest in some flash drives so I can keep things straight. I would be nice to just pop in a different pup at random.

bigpup

#25 Post by bigpup »

Put them all on one USB flash drive as frugal installs.
Then install a boot loader to the flash drive with a menu listing all of them.
I do it using Grub4dos as the boot loader.
You can install all of of them first. Then run Grub4dos config or run Grub4dos config after each install, to update the menu.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

J_D_

#26 Post by J_D_ »

bigpup wrote:Put them all on one USB flash drive as frugal installs.
Then install a boot loader to the flash drive with a menu listing all of them.
I do it using Grub4dos as the boot loader.
You can install all of of them first. Then run Grub4dos config or run Grub4dos config after each install, to update the menu.
Good idea. I never thought of using Grub on a flash drive. I have used it on all my computers until I put Lick on this one. I cant believe how fast and easy Lick is.

J_D_

#27 Post by J_D_ »

For the record, I tried Bionic but it could not find my wireless router. Deleted. I could not find an ISO for Precise that worked. I ended up with xenial 64 and SC64 Slackware Current puppy. Xenial is an old reliable for me. It just works. SC64, I just installed and so far it is super. Very fast. It may be my new favorite. :D :D

bigpup

#28 Post by bigpup »

Bionicpup64 8.0 is missing a few support files for some WIFI adapters.
Quickpet->Info->Bionicpup updates will install some of the missing files and update Quickpet->Drivers, so others are listed for download and install.

You do not say what the wireless adapter is, but this may be what is needed.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(30 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

J_D_

#29 Post by J_D_ »

I am going to stick with SC 64 for now. Why is it so fast ?