WeeDog Linux

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rockedge

#21 Post by rockedge »

32 bit version built with build_firstrib_rootfs_i686ver007.sh and build_firstrib_initramfs01_ver008pre.sh

initramfs.gz is 36 megs and running uses 152 megs of RAM

firefox, palemoon, mtpaint, geany, rox, htop, lxterminal and is connected to eth0

DELL INSPIRON E1505 2 core dual thread CPU and 2 gigabytes RAM

firstrib (WeeDog) is running from a 500 gig external USB drive sdb1 and is frugally installed with about 40 varients of Puppy Linux, XenialDog, BionicDog.
Grub4Dos handles the booting of the usb drive and has a menu.lst with a select set of Puppy's and now firstrib.

I am amazed how well it runs..the laptop fan is almost never on...... the CPU load at idle is 0
both cores are standing still at 0%
both firefox and palemoon are fast and responsive....I do have video playback but no audio going yet on this version. firstrib boots to the shell command line and with startx begins the window manger and rox -pinboard

I blatantly copied from a Bionic32 generated from Woof-CE, some of the JWM configuration files for the tray and theme slightly modified them to fit and here it is ->
Attachments
2019-07-10-012249_640x480_scrot.png
(209.06 KiB) Downloaded 1105 times

rockedge

#22 Post by rockedge »

I have guvcview installed which works great. But now begins the experiment....since we can construct firstrib as minimal as it gets and boot then add the components that are required.

the goal is a LAMP or actually a LHMP which is Hiawatha, mariadb, PHP 7 which will be the base for ZoneMinder and zmeventserver....which will be a full featured camera security system equipped with deep learning neural network object recognition (face identification, license plate recognition and object recognition)

this system could run completely without an X server and could be used remotely or since I will have plenty of room, use a Xorg JWM ROX combo and have a browser onboard like firefox or palemoon.

It looks like great potential starting out with a system that boots can connect to the network and use the xbps package manager to build and add only what is needed..tools and the rest will evolve as the project moves forward.

goal is to match some of the Puppy Linux based systems that are running a LHMP (or LAMP) and ZoneMinder and the small RAM footprint to have plenty of room for cameras.

This will be beneficial I think for using really small fanless computers that are disguised as some book or decoration...or like myself..using old equipment I am given or find for free.

I have just been given a DELL PowerEdge R210 II blade server a company was replacing and also just rescued a DELL Optiplex 990 4 core 4 thread CPU 8 gigs RAM and have it running smoothly....the thing loves Puppy Linux in all the flavors I've tried.

rockedge

#23 Post by rockedge »

I have on the 32 bit version seen above now running Hiawatha 10.9 mariadb and PHP 7...

it was some things I had to repeat many times until I found the right combinations to install the LHMP and get it working! But here I am...and I now have a running web server. Now I can refine the process and I may write a how to but that is later......now I am going for phpmyadmin to be installed and then begin the process of pulling all the dependencies for zoneminder and what it will take to compile it.....once I can compile ZM I will remake a new firstrib without the development enviroment and use the zoneminder as a finished package...to keep the size to a minimum.

I have all this stuff going in the WeeDog but still using around 200 megs of RAM...that is with the LHMP running.....pretty cool so worth the effort.

In the end I would like an operating system running zoneminder and it's parts that is capable of running on smaller systems.....for home use..