Slacko 5.7.2 Community Edition

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mister_electronico

other quit

#21 Post by mister_electronico »

another quick setting

The icon browser on the desktop does not perform any option. The problem is solved by editing /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and changing:

#! /bin/sh
exec mozstart "$ @"

substitute :

#!/bin/sh
exec seamonkey "$@"

or

exec firefox "$@"

See you

mikeslr

#22 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks Mike Walsh and mister_electronico for the feed-back.

As I said in the OP my part was as a packager. My scripting skills are all but non-existent. With a great deal of effort I can sometimes follow the logic of code --how one section relates to another and what each is supposed to do-- but beyond that it's a foreign language.

In packaging Slacko 5.7.2CE I included shinobar's latest version of grub4dos, grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.4, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 995#384995. I am unfamiliar with the boot argument "pdrv=b5d0aaa0-4f51-4fb3c-a720-aec7138f2bf". I don't know why grub4dos would generate it if it wasn't necessary; nor fail when using it if it was. If grub4dos isn't working as it should, I suggest that you bring that to shinobar's attention on that thread.

I am happy that you found a solution. The only thing I can add to this discussion is that your kernel line instructs grub4dos that this Puppy is on a harddrive: pmedia=atahd, Pupmode 12. I always 'trick' grub4dos into thinking my Puppies are on a USB-Key, pmedia=ataflash, Pupmode 13, so that it does not execute an Automatic Save. You'll notice on Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager, Save Session Tab that the Save Interval is set to 0/Zero, Ask at Shutdown. Under Pupmode 12, pmedia=atahd , I think that instruction is ignored and that there will be a Save Automatically at shutdown without asking. If you desire otherwise you should adjust either the bootcode or the Save Interval Instructions.

"The icon browser on the desktop does not perform any option": Ah, the difficulty of dotting all 'i's' and crossing all 't's'. Missed that one. :oops:

p.s. Slacko 5.7.2CE will run fredx181's portable-firefox and Mike Walsh's portable Palemoon OOTB. Seamonkey 2.35 was included because it used less RAM. If your computer isn't RAM challenged, I recommend either of those. Alternatively, if you like Seamonkey, you can download any version thru 2.49 as a tar.gz, unpack it and either start it by clicking the binary or creating a link to it. IIRC, the netvideohunter addon will function on Seamonkey up thru 2.46. The trick is to find the webpage from which you can download version 1.9.5fx.xpi, and IIRC open it from Seamonkey's File-Menu.

Colonel Panic

#23 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm posting from 5.7.2 CE now. I've added a couple of extra software programs to it, such as Firefox 52 ESR and Softmaker FreeOffice (neither of which was strictly necessary), but even so it all fits comfortably on a 2GB save file.

Thanks Mike for a fine effort.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Terry H

#24 Post by Terry H »

Hi Mike, with all the work you have put into packaging and explaining this slacko Community Edition, it would be remiss if I didn't give it a run, I had only ever previously given slacko 5.7's a cursory glance, maybe it was the issues I have had with the synaptics touchpad on this installation, that caused me to abandon using these slackos previously.

A new manual frugal install on Kingston Data Traveller 8GB USB3 Flash drive, running on Dell Latitude 3350 Core-i5 5200U 8 GB RAM. It didn't boot to X, so had to run xorgwizard, to be able to get to the desktop, subsequent boots have been OK. On initial boot identified intel 7265 wifi card firmware not included. Copied the firmware from a working puppy, ran a modprobe to load the firmware, so wifi now working. I haven't used a savefile in a while so the process seemed to take several attempts to get a savefile created, but it worked in the end.

The next and unresolved issue is with the synaptics touchpad. I was unable to run flsynclient, receiving the following message:

Code: Select all

# flsynclient
Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?
I checked ppm and saw that the synaptic driver is installed, also checking with pfind, as shown in attached screenshot. So I'm stumped at the moment on how to get the touchpad working to stop the cursor bouncing all over place, or opening everything the cursor moves over on the screen as I attempt move across the screen.

All I have tried so far has run smoothly. I added inxi to be able to report the system details. If I can get the touchpad tamed, I'll probably add a firefox or palemoon and keep it in the kennel.

So thanks Mike for this derivative, it's a good job putting this together.

Note: this post was created on a different puppy due to the touchpad issue.

# inxi -Fxxz
System:    Host: puppypc27534 Kernel: 4.14.63-rt37 i686 (32 bit gcc: 7.3.0) Desktop: JWM git-905 dm: N/A
           Distro: Slacko Puppy 5.7.1
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Dell product: Latitude 3350 Chassis: type: 9
           Mobo: Dell model: 0TMD22 v: X02 UEFI [Legacy]: Dell v: A09 date: 11/24/2016
Battery    BAT0: charge: 59.0 Wh 130.2% condition: 45.3/59.0 Wh (77%) volts: 8.5/7.4
           model: Samsung SDI DELL 6C0FN58 serial: 37544 status: Full
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-5200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8780
           clock speeds: min/max: 500/2700 MHz 1: 1104 MHz 2: 1150 MHz 3: 1231 MHz 4: 1623 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 1616 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:1616
           Display Server: X.org 1.12.4 driver: modesetting tty size: 168x46 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Device 9ca0 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:9ca0
           Card-2 Intel Device 160c driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0 chip-ID: 8086:160c
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.14.63-rt37
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Device 095a driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:095a
           IF: wlan0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 264.1GB (2.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Crucial_CT256MX1 size: 256.1GB serial: N/A
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: DataTraveler_3.0 size: 8.0GB serial: N/A
RAID:      System: supported: linear raid0 raid1 raid10 raid6 raid5 raid4
           No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
           Unused Devices: none
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 155 Uptime: 35 min Memory: 118.2/7721.8MB Init: SysVinit v: N/A runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.532 running in lxterminal) inxi: 2.3.8 
Attachments
synaptics.png
pfind output
(70.58 KiB) Downloaded 809 times

mister_electronico

Hi mikeslr

#25 Post by mister_electronico »

Hi mikeslr sorry for the small delay in the answer but in recent times I am quite busy.
The only thing I can add to this discussion is that your kernel line instructs grub4dos that this Puppy is on a harddrive: pmedia=atahd, Pupmode 12. I always 'trick' grub4dos into thinking my Puppies are on a USB-Key, pmedia=ataflash, Pupmode 13, so that it does not execute an Automatic Save. You'll notice on Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager, Save Session Tab that the Save Interval is set to 0/Zero, Ask at Shutdown. Under Pupmode 12, pmedia=atahd , I think that instruction is ignored and that there will be a Save Automatically at shutdown without asking. If you desire otherwise you should adjust either the bootcode or the Save Interval Instructions.
You are right but at this moment I do not care because I do not like that at any moment any process stops or slows down because the pupsave is being saved, I prefer it to be when the system closes.

I am working with a stupid uefi laptop and many of the problems
they come in this direction.

The boot is in pen drive, the pen drive makes the boot looks for options
that all the puppies inside the pen drive and in the HD.

This I have done with multiple versions of puppies and it always works but I do not know why no works with this distribution.

The problem is not in the creation of the Grub I created it with other puppies and creates the same menu.lst file with the same data.

The value of the uuid is correct.

b5d0aaa0-4f51-4fb3c-a720-aec7138f2bf

If I use the blkid command, I can see that it is correct.

The problem is when load the grub does not recognize this uuid of the hard drive and so it do not find the pupsave file. I don't know for why?

How you say, I'll bring that to shinobar's attention on that thread.

mister_electronico

Hi mikeslr

#26 Post by mister_electronico »

Hi mikeslr
"The icon browser on the desktop does not perform any option": Ah, the difficulty of dotting all 'i's' and crossing all 't's'. Missed that one. Embarassed
Mikeslr please you don't feel :oops: I think you and other persons made a very good big job.

For me if in this horrible laptop, sound, video, internet, the tab mouse, and other things works for me is perfect.

I think it's finally going to be able to change from puppy5.6 to puppy 5.7.2, there are a lot of electronic programs that I have to go through, in this way I assure you that they can work well.

So in this way you have found a person who will be permanently watching to improve your distribution.

If you do not mind, I'll be putting these little mistakes I'm finding and almost always I can put the solution at the same time.

This way when you come back to do a revision of puppy5.7.2 you can upload a better distribution on the internet.

But only if you do not care?

Thanks for all .... see you.

mister_electronico

devx_slacko_5.7.2.sfs

#27 Post by mister_electronico »

Hi I just downloaded from the address:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/kwhxks ... .0#myfiles

devx_slacko_5.7.1.sfs

I have renamed it to:

devx_slacko_5.7.2.sfs

I have loaded it and it seems to work well.

Sorry for stealing the sfs file to Sailor Enceladus

See you

mister_electronico

seamonkey 2.49.4

#28 Post by mister_electronico »

I made this pet of Seamonkey.2.49.4

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yqat434l4 ... 4.pet/file

I have not found a way to eliminate seamonkey in:

Menu > Setup > remove builtin packages

So I've gone to the /opt directory and deleted the seamonkey directory.

Install the pet file without menu entry, but there is no problem because it was previously done and the desktop icon works as well.

But suddenly I realized that my pupsave was transformed from 489 to 385 Mb ... :(

So I go to the /opt directory and move the whole seamonkey directory to /mnt/home. I open a terminal in /opt and I type:

#ln -s /mnt/home/seamonkey seamonkey

Creating a symbolic link to /mnt/home/seamonkey,

I do this very often when I have to run very large electronics programs.

And then I can see again the pupsave with 489 Mb free.

I do not notice almost speed difference between running on ram or sata hard drive on this occasion.

In this way before I saw the videos on the internet only 360 and now I can see them up to 1080 or more.

See you

Terry H

Re: Hi mikeslr

#29 Post by Terry H »

mister_electronico wrote:
I am working with a stupid uefi laptop and many of the problems
they come in this direction.
The value of the uuid is correct.

b5d0aaa0-4f51-4fb3c-a720-aec7138f2bf
Mr. electronico, I just added a slacko 5.72 CE frugal install to a UEFI enabled USB Flash drive, which boots successfully.

The USB drive contains an EFI partition and a partiton with several folders containing frugal installs. The boot stanza from the grub.cfg is shown below:

menuentry "Slacko 5.7.2 CE"  {

search --set -f /slacko572CE/vmlinuz

linux /slacko572CE/vmlinuz root=UUID=a4f01c9a-d3a0-4964-bfa5-45ec02253982 psubdir=slacko572CE pmedia=ataflash

initrd /slacko572CE/initrd.gz

}   
This thread sets out how some members are booting puppy using UEFI booting
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112224

mister_electronico

Hi Terry

#30 Post by mister_electronico »

Hi Terry ... amazing .

I had no news about this link, I have already solved the problem. thank you.

See you.

mikeslr

#31 Post by mikeslr »

Hi mister_electronico,

The last reserved space on this link is for the purpose of discussing remasters and security. But, I'll note here that once you've gotten everything sorted out you'll find there are three remaster applications available. The original isn't on the Main Menu but will appear on AppFinder. Both the following actually make use of it. Shinobar's remaster-x is included as (1) it was required to change the name from slacko to ceslacko. And (2) it will also be required if you want to do a remaster which will display the Quick-Setup First Run GUI when transporting to a different computer. nic007's nicos-remaster is recommended for everything else. The unattended option will generate a new puppy_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs and zdrv_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs in a couple minutes. Unattended -- no decisions to be made, nothing to screw-up. :D

None, however, will produce an ISO containing the boot mechanism required by UEFI. For that, you'll have to unpack the ISO to an directory, add those files and folders and use the included dir2iso (Right-Click, IIRC).

But maybe wait awhile. I'm following up on nic007's posts about running Puppies without a SaveFile/Folder. As you know, SaveFile/Folders are READ-WRITE --therefore corruptible. nic007's tools (one for USB-Sticks, one for Hard-Drives) converts your SaveFile/Folder into a READ-Only adrv. [Before that conversion you can rename any adrv to ydrv; or use PaDS to combine it and any SFS, pet or other package into a ydrv]. Thereafter, you can create a new adrv in a matter of seconds.

This all works great. What I'm working on is after getting rid of the SaveFile/Folder Puppy sees itself --correctly-- as PupMode 5 (No SaveFile/Folder) so ignores settings in Puppy Event Manager SaveSession and either nags about creating a Save or does so automatically. I've found a good discussion with code and am now trying to figure out how to work that into the shutdown routine that results from using radky's pupshutdown. Needs some testing.

darry19662018

#32 Post by darry19662018 »

First up Mike thank you for this nice new Slacko 570 successor.

Looks very nice so far and running well so far on a Dell D620. Connected to cell phone through Frisbee for internet no problem. So far video playback and you tube and sound all working.

The choice of the older SeaMonkey is a great one works well.

nic007

#33 Post by nic007 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi mister_electronico,

The last reserved space on this link is for the purpose of discussing remasters and security. But, I'll note here that once you've gotten everything sorted out you'll find there are three remaster applications available. The original isn't on the Main Menu but will appear on AppFinder. Both the following actually make use of it. Shinobar's remaster-x is included as (1) it was required to change the name from slacko to ceslacko. And (2) it will also be required if you want to do a remaster which will display the Quick-Setup First Run GUI when transporting to a different computer. nic007's nicos-remaster is recommended for everything else. The unattended option will generate a new puppy_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs and zdrv_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs in a couple minutes. Unattended -- no decisions to be made, nothing to screw-up. :D

None, however, will produce an ISO containing the boot mechanism required by UEFI. For that, you'll have to unpack the ISO to an directory, add those files and folders and use the included dir2iso (Right-Click, IIRC).

But maybe wait awhile. I'm following up on nic007's posts about running Puppies without a SaveFile/Folder. As you know, SaveFile/Folders are READ-WRITE --therefore corruptible. nic007's tools (one for USB-Sticks, one for Hard-Drives) converts your SaveFile/Folder into a READ-Only adrv. [Before that conversion you can rename any adrv to ydrv; or use PaDS to combine it and any SFS, pet or other package into a ydrv]. Thereafter, you can create a new adrv in a matter of seconds.

This all works great. What I'm working on is after getting rid of the SaveFile/Folder Puppy sees itself --correctly-- as PupMode 5 (No SaveFile/Folder) so ignores settings in Puppy Event Manager SaveSession and either nags about creating a Save or does so automatically. I've found a good discussion with code and am now trying to figure out how to work that into the shutdown routine that results from using radky's pupshutdown. Needs some testing.
Hi, mikeslr

Just a few points. If you use the Options version of my remaster suite and choose to make an iso, all the files in the original iso (except of course the base sfs which is going to be remastered) will be copied over to the new iso (also efi stuff). I checked with the Xenial 705-uefi distribution. I do not know if shinobar's remasterx does this, depends how recently he has updated his script (older remaster scripts did not include these extra files in the iso). As far as the quick-setup goes: no, my script does not restart the system with this (I can include it if I want to) but it should show the woof, woof first boot screen from which you can access the network settings and setup options (all the options) anyway. So in a way this makes the quick-setup screen actually superfluous in my view.

ALSO - I'm not sure reading your post that you are suggesting that my remaster scripts do not reflect the name of the remastered files of the ce versions or any other versions correctly. If that is so, please PM the builtin remaster script of, say the ce version that is "problematic", so that I can compare the relative sections with my scripts and do the necessary ammendments of my scripts if necessary.

mikeslr

#34 Post by mikeslr »

nic007 wrote:...
If you use the Options version of my remaster suite and choose to make an iso, all the files in the original iso (except of course the base sfs which is going to be remastered) will be copied over to the new iso (also efi stuff).

Thanks nic, I didn't know that. Remaster-x can't do that.

As far as the quick-setup goes: no, my script does not restart the system with this (I can include it if I want to) but it should show the woof, woof first boot screen from which you can access the network settings and setup options (all the options) anyway. So in a way this makes the quick-setup screen actually superfluous in my view.

I agree that's the case for anyone already familiar with Puppies, or who can make some logical deductions. But for a newbie fresh off the ship from Windows' World --where Daddy holds your hand-- it solves the question "Now what do I now? :shock: "*

ALSO - I'm not sure reading your post that you are suggesting that my remaster scripts do not reflect the name of the remastered files of the ce versions or any other versions correctly.
No. That's not what I'm suggesting. The base file of the Puppy I was remastering was named puppy_slacko_5.7.1.sfs, with adrv and zdrv having corresponding names, intrd written to look for them, would create slackosave (sfs or folder) and the Help file used the name Slacko_5.7.1. I had used Remaster-X previously and knew that its opening GUI asks if you want to change the name and provides input fields for doing so. After placing a check-mark in the box and typing the desired name in the input box Remaster-x makes all the necessary changes without further user intervention: i.e. puppy_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs and so on.

Perhaps the Options component of nic0S-remaster suite can also do that. But as you can tell I'm not familiar with all its capabilities. The only way to know what an application can do is to make frequent use of it; and thankfully doing a remaster with major changes isn't something one has to do often.

------
* Even without the First-Run Gui, Puppy on startup would not be any more intimidating than than Ubuntu. I consider First-Run a newbie-friendly innovation which I didn't want to loose if I could avoid that.

mister_electronico

Hi mikeslr

#35 Post by mister_electronico »

Hi mikeslr Understood the purpose of this link, I have no knowledge of remastering any suite, but in the future or from now if you need help in things like:

Compile programs or make programs work with this distribution for the repository.

Make a translation of your distribution into Spanish.

Check different parts of the system for proper operation.

Oh, anything else I can help you ... you can request my help at any time.

I like this distribution and I hope it will improve over time.

See you.

mikeslr

#36 Post by mikeslr »

Hi mister_electronico,

Thank you for your generous offer. Especially exciting is that to make a translation into Spanish. But don't think of Slacko 5.7.2CE as my distribution except perhaps in the sense of an anecdote I recall from Law School, I think a course in Criminal Law, but more importantly emphasizing that we make up all the Rules by which we conduct ourselves.

Two litigants appear before the King who is sitting as the Highest Judge. The plaintiff says, "He stole my cow and I want it back."

The Defendant counters, "I stole it fair and square."

Like the Defendant, I can only claim that I stole the contributions of many members of the Forum 'fair and square'. :) Don't hesitate to do the same. :lol:

Regarding other aspects of your offer, I'll email you.

mister_electronico

Hi

#37 Post by mister_electronico »

"He stole my cow ..... :lol:

Many times even the most particular interests end up benefiting the entire community.

I will be waiting for the moment to help you.

Greetings.

mister_electronico

Some ideas that could be interesting.

#38 Post by mister_electronico »

Thinking about puppy slacko settings, normally a person who installs for example this distribution that does not have knowledge of puppy linux and perhaps not much computer knowledge, which wants to install puppy linux because they heard that it is a system that goes well with obsolete computers.

He decides to install this version slacko5.72 and nothing else to install it he is very happy because all the programs run very well and they go very fast.

But soon after working with puppy, he finds that everything starts to work much more slow and it reaches moments in it even crashes and does not know why.

And they end up leaving the distribution.

But why does this happen this?

People with computers with low resources of 512 Mb RAM or less, for example, start surfing the Internet, they begin to watch videos, and immediately they begin to realize that everything starts to go much slower.

They do not have to know that the seamonkey cache is stored in the case of this distribution in:

/root/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey .....

And that this makes the available RAM memory size decrease rapidly.

They also do not have to know that you can limit the cache in the browser, or that you can make a cache cleaning.

So maybe it would be interesting both in the case of seamonkey and other browsers, take out the program of the navigator outside the pupsave, as much the program as the data of cache of navigation and others.

Other distros of puppy lean on the hard disk, we could do something similar to windows a Program files, or create a memory cache on disk.

There are programs like mhWaveEdit that when load a bit large mp3 file directly block the system, when the converts it to wav inside

/root/.mhwavedit....

For example in mtPaint if we want to work with a slightly larger image, it will not let us do it because it will tell us that it does not have enough memory, simply by adjusting:

Images> Preferences> General> Max memory use for one

Put a value of 256 or more so that you can work well with the images, that these things can come configured in advance in the installation, it would make this distribution much more attractive.

This and multiple configurations that could be adjusted for the distribution we are working on, will life much easier for those people who start for the first time and who are working with low-resource computers.

Greetings.

kuman11

#39 Post by kuman11 »

mike,

This seems very handy.
What page's the d/l link for this version?

Mike Walsh

#40 Post by Mike Walsh »

mister_electronico wrote:People with computers with low resources of 512 Mb RAM or less, for example, start surfing the Internet, they begin to watch videos, and immediately they begin to realize that everything starts to go much slower.

They do not have to know that the seamonkey cache is stored in the case of this distribution in:

/root/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey .....

And that this makes the available RAM memory size decrease rapidly.

They also do not have to know that you can limit the cache in the browser, or that you can make a cache cleaning.

So maybe it would be interesting both in the case of seamonkey and other browsers, take out the program of the navigator outside the pupsave, as much the program as the data of cache of navigation and others.
Shouldn't be hard to make a Puppy-specific version of SeaMonkey, which places the SeaMonkey profile in, say, /mnt/home/.cache/mozilla, and sym-links it to /root/.cache/mozilla.....thus putting the cache outside of 'Puppy-space'.

Mike. :wink: