Linphone 3.11.1

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
soniabu

#21 Post by soniabu »

Ok I installed the version 3.6.1 from the PPM bionicpup64.
In it I entered the same parameters that I used in the Android version that, as I wrote above, receives calls but not able to make them;
however, this desktop version is not able to register and immediately appears the message timeout.
But what baffles is that the information concerning the timeout appears immediately at startup,
it seems to me that even in the face trying to register. The trouble is - for me - of this Linphone is that there is not a shred of documentation
related to the alternative configuration parameters.
However my paramiters are:

mikeslr

LInphone for Bionicpup64

#22 Post by mikeslr »

DELETED. Version problem solved by using PPM which, basically, what this post had recommended.

soniabu

#23 Post by soniabu »

?
Last edited by soniabu on Fri 08 May 2020, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

soniabu

Re: LInphone for Bionicpup64

#24 Post by soniabu »

mikeslr wrote:DELETED. Version problem solved by using PPM which, basically, what this post had recommended.
sorry, but I did not understand the meaning of what you wrote.
It didn't seem to me that for having asked information on the installation of an updated sw and contemplated in Puppy I had broken a forum rule. I'm just looking for help to make a product work. The forum is not needed for this?
If someone is kindly able to help me, welcome. nor will it have my respect. Otherwise, each can refrain from intervening if his comment does not add value to the discussion. You should have understood that I don't know Linux and I'm trying to deepen the various aspects of the system with my own skills.
Sounds right to me, doesn't it?

OscarTalks

#25 Post by OscarTalks »

Just did a quick test of the appimage in XenialPup64
Fresh boot with nothing added.
This Linphone is working!
There is some chatter in terminal but nothing fatal.
Perhaps in Bionic64 you need to add some Qt5 libs (which were included in Xenial64 but not Bionic64) and then it would work? My Bionic64 is on a different machine so might try later.
Attachments
linphone-appimage1.jpg
Settings window
(40.85 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
linphone-appimage2.jpg
In a call with ideasip echo test
(33.12 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Oscar in England

soniabu

#26 Post by soniabu »

iinstead I am attaching the final part of the Debug of linphone 3.6.1 desktop from ppm bionicpup64;
maybe someone can give me some kind advice.
thanks
s
message: Local interface to reach 87.98.157.38 is 192.168.1.5.
...//...
---

Mr. Oscar are the libraries Qt5 in Bionicpup64 here:

OscarTalks

#27 Post by OscarTalks »

Soniabu,
I think those system Qt5 libs are older versions than the ones needed by the Linphone appimage so they are not recognised. (5.9 and not 5.12)

Usually the idea with an appimage I believe is that all the dependencies are included within it. I suspect that this appimage contains the needed Qt5 libs inside it, but for some strange reason in Bionic64 they are not found. I get the same result as you when I tried it in Bionic64 just now.

However, as well as working in Xenial64 it also works in Easy Pup (Buster) by BarryK and it works in ScPup64 so I do not understand what the problem is in Bionic64.

The debug messages you posted mention a DNS lookup failure but other than that I don't see anything that helps. Not sure why the Ubuntu repos offer such an old version of Linphone (3.6.1) but it should work for calling and messaging. Try registering with a different free SIP provider such as Linphone's own service or iptel or ekiga. Try setting a stun server, you can use stun.linphone.org for this. Sometimes you do have to experiment with the settings.
Oscar in England

soniabu

#28 Post by soniabu »

OscarTalks wrote:Soniabu,
I think those system Qt5 libs are older versions than the ones needed by the Linphone appimage so they are not recognised. (5.9 and not 5.12)

Usually the idea with an appimage I believe is that all the dependencies are included within it. I suspect that this appimage contains the needed Qt5 libs inside it, but for some strange reason in Bionic64 they are not found. I get the same result as you when I tried it in Bionic64 just now.

However, as well as working in Xenial64 it also works in Easy Pup (Buster) by BarryK and it works in ScPup64 so I do not understand what the problem is in Bionic64.

The debug messages you posted mention a DNS lookup failure but other than that I don't see anything that helps. Not sure why the Ubuntu repos offer such an old version of Linphone (3.6.1) but it should work for calling and messaging. Try registering with a different free SIP provider such as Linphone's own service or iptel or ekiga. Try setting a stun server, you can use stun.linphone.org for this. Sometimes you do have to experiment with the settings.
Well Oscar, I will try the roads you suggest.
Thanks for the clear explanations because in the dark I'm in, sometimes even the light of a match is enough to find comfort.
thanks Oscar.

OscarTalks

#29 Post by OscarTalks »

In Bionic64, the problem with the Linphone appimage is that the Qt5 5.9 libraries in /usr/lib are found in preference to the internal Qt5 5.12 libraries and the 5.9 libraries are too old.

As a test, I moved all the Qt5 libraries from /usr/lib into the sub-directory /usr/lib/qt5 so they are no longer in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

NOTE - Doing this will prevent other programs which need these from working, so it is not a solution, only a test.

The Linphone 4.2.0 appimage then starts.

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib
mv libQt5* /usr/lib/qt5
To restore

cd /usr/lib/qt5
mv libQt5* /usr/lib
Attachments
linphone420-bionic64.jpg
The Qt5 libs in Bionic64 are causing the appimage to fail to start
(49.63 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Oscar in England

soniabu

#30 Post by soniabu »

OscarTalks wrote:In Bionic64, the problem with the Linphone appimage is that the Qt5 5.9 libraries in /usr/lib are found in preference to the internal Qt5 5.12 libraries and the 5.9 libraries are too old.

As a test, I moved all the Qt5 libraries from /usr/lib into the sub-directory /usr/lib/qt5 so they are no longer in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

NOTE - Doing this will prevent other programs which need these from working, so it is not a solution, only a test.

The Linphone 4.2.0 appimage then starts.

cd /usr/lib
mv libQt5* /usr/lib/qt5
To restore

cd /usr/lib/qt5
mv libQt5* /usr/lib
Great Oscar, so the Qt5 5.12 libraries would be in Bionicpup64 only that they are not the primary option.
Okay now it's clear. You have to wait for an operating system update.
thanks Oscar, congratulations for the solution even if as a test.